Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, it's this. Like, it rings true. They also bully Giles about his crush on Miss Calendar and everything else, Wesley is just completely disconnected and young enough that the cool teens bullying him makes him feel bad.

Also wants to bang one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also wants to bang one

Charisma Carpenter is many things, but a teenager isn't one of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also Wes becomes Batman in the second half of season 4.

Season Four ROCKS, gently caress you guys preemptively.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Season 4 was the first tv show I torrented back in the day *~nostaligia~*

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I can not think of another character in the whole of serialized television that had as amazing of a character arc as Wesley Wyndham-Pryce.

I agree wholeheartedly. Wesley is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time, and it's a drat shame Alexis Denisof hasn't had a bigger, better career after Angel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I agree wholeheartedly. Wesley is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time, and it's a drat shame Alexis Denisof hasn't had a bigger, better career after Angel.

It's loving criminal but to be fair to him, he chose to be the at home dad while Hannigan earned huge bucks on HIMYM.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

It's loving criminal but to be fair to him, he chose to be the at home dad while Hannigan earned huge bucks on HIMYM.

He does show up in Avengers and Guardians

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Well, the time off probably helped the poor guy recover from his Bell's Palsy and get a start on raising his family.

Plus, he somehow sounds wrong with his native accent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

He does show up in Avengers and Guardians

He's been a series regular on two other shows I have not watched, Grimm and Finding Carter. I should really get around to watching Grimm, he deserves our attention.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My dad loves Grimm, but I've never seen it. I marked out whenever he appeared as Sandy Rivers on HIMYM, but was disappointed he never shared a scene with Alyson. He had a mini-arc on Dollhouse as well.

Giles is my other favorite Buffyverse character. I got into all of Joss' pre-SHIELD shows on DVD, after they ended, so I was heartbroken when I learned about all the Ripper rumors, but it never happened. Then I got to thinking about Giles' apparently misspent youth as a punk rocker, kicking rear end and studying the occult, and then I realized his backstory was based heavily on John Constantine. And now I'm sad that Constantine was also canceled, and that Anthony Stewart Head was never in it, playing some kind of seedy mentor to John (or possibly a librarian).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still miffed we never got Ripper. And we never will despite anything Whedon says otherwise.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

AS Head not showing up at the LA branch of a theoretical sixth season of Angel was the greatest tragedy.

And Alexis Denisof's imbd shows anything but disappointment. A recurrable voice role in both The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy slotted in between his recurring series roles? Even without being married to someone who will be earning money until the heat death of the universe through syndication of that awful Neal Patrick Harris show, that's a lucrative career he has going and his roles will never depend on youthful looks or buzz-y marketing-oriented casting. He's got it made and has a great career ahead of him.

If you want to look at unfortunate career trajectory the Buffyverse's supporting women like Mercedes McNabb, Caulfield and Juliet Landau are disheartening.

And especially Kennedy's actress, though most people would probably say she deserved no better. (I never hated her, oh why must I be plagued with these controversial opinions!)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He also has the best death in the entire Whedonverse.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't know, I think Ripper might have been unbearable. The episode where we discover Giles has a dark past is riddled with cliches like, and I'm quoting here, "I never wanted you to get involved," and "I never wanted you to see this side of me," and he somehow grows a five o'clock shadow in an hour by drinking whiskey. It survives entirely on Head's acting and an entire show of that kind of writing would have worn thin very, very fast.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bicyclops posted:

Upon a rewatch, it's actually amazing how much you identify with him over the people the show clearly wants us to side with in Buffy. Like, he's mildly condescending to Giles, which he apologizes for, but everyone is completely rude to him for absolutely no reason immediately, and they never stop. He comes into his new job optimistically and really read to get started, is put in an extremely difficult situation, tries continuously to be courteous, understand and adjust, and only calls into Watcher HR when there's an actual murder going on. He actually bucks their authority later to be more understanding to Buffy and finally resigns officially and just offers his help (while turning an insult hurled his way into a self-deprecating joke).

The worst that can be said about him on Buffy is:

A) he is a bit of a coward when it comes to physical pain
and
B) the Cordelia thing, which definitely is gross. But even that, when he's introduced to her, he thinks she's a teacher and that his interest is perfectly appropriate, and he recoils as if he just touched a fire when he hears she's a student. The whole thing seems like a joke around the fact that Charisma Carpenter, even more than the rest of the cast, looks nothing like a high school student.

gently caress off duder, she was 18. Fair game for a Englishman

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:sweatdrop: I mean, I agree with all that, but I think it's hella disingenuous that no one is mentioning that the only reason Wesley got assigned to Buffy was because the Council depowered her and sent her into a death trap and fired Giles for caring too much about her and that perhaps all of that maaay have possibly affected her friends' attitudes towards the replacement they sent who seems to have nothing but reverence and admiration for the Council. Or something, who knows, right?

And that's not even considering the whole Gwendolyn Post debacle which didn't really warm anyone up to non-Giles Watchers, even if it wasn't exactly the Council's fault.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 1, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well sure, like I said, it rings true that they treat him horribly, but his reverence for the Council disappears pretty quickly and he makes it clear (often!) that he is keeping things from them.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I don't know, I think Ripper might have been unbearable. The episode where we discover Giles has a dark past is riddled with cliches like, and I'm quoting here, "I never wanted you to get involved," and "I never wanted you to see this side of me," and he somehow grows a five o'clock shadow in an hour by drinking whiskey. It survives entirely on Head's acting and an entire show of that kind of writing would have worn thin very, very fast.
Happens to me every time I throw back some whiskey, so I don't know why it wouldn't for a better man like Anthony Stewart Head.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Green Crayons posted:

Happens to me every time I throw back some whiskey, so I don't know why it wouldn't for a better man like Anthony Stewart Head.

Maybe this is why I have to shave so often. :v:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Angel never gave me the impression that Faith was as hosed up as she is, i'm watching Buffy for the first time and it's like :magical:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Faith had daddy issues.

But...

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 2, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Went looking for faith gifs, found this tiny scrap of "Gunn x Wesley" slashfic instead.

quote:

“How…”

“I told you that I’m a good shot,” Wesley mutters, holstering his weapon and pocketing his newfound winnings.

“Yeah, but that was– you just– he didn’t even have time to pull the trigger before you– christ, we need to go rent out a room upstairs right now,” Gunn breathes.

15 years ago there would be a mighty oak tree of stories about hubcap axes mating with wrist-mounted stake bolts, but instead we only have this frail twig.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I was in university and we studied critical theory, the task for one week was to come up with a picture we felt represented feminism and post it on the online shared workspace with a short description of why.

Of course, one person put up a photograph of Joss Whedon.

I just remembered that.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Upon a rewatch, it's actually amazing how much you identify with him over the people the show clearly wants us to side with in Buffy. Like, he's mildly condescending to Giles, which he apologizes for, but everyone is completely rude to him for absolutely no reason immediately, and they never stop. He comes into his new job optimistically and really read to get started, is put in an extremely difficult situation, tries continuously to be courteous, understand and adjust, and only calls into Watcher HR when there's an actual murder going on. He actually bucks their authority later to be more understanding to Buffy and finally resigns officially and just offers his help (while turning an insult hurled his way into a self-deprecating joke).

The worst that can be said about him on Buffy is:

A) he is a bit of a coward when it comes to physical pain
and
B) the Cordelia thing, which definitely is gross. But even that, when he's introduced to her, he thinks she's a teacher and that his interest is perfectly appropriate, and he recoils as if he just touched a fire when he hears she's a student. The whole thing seems like a joke around the fact that Charisma Carpenter, even more than the rest of the cast, looks nothing like a high school student.

As much as I hate to use a TVtropes term, Weslie was the lieutenant newbie.

To borrow a military analogy, Wesley was a guy was just some kid that graduated from OCS, and tried to tell the enlisted who had been fighting their asses off for the past three years that they've been doing it wrong all this time.

From the Scoobie's perspective, Wesley was just some straightlaced college git giving orders he couldn't enforce, and had no clue what life was like for non-coms. So when he tried to tell the Slayers how to do things better, the Slayers just checked out.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 2, 2015

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
How old was Wesley supposed to be, anyway? Denisof was like 33 when he joined Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but given that Carpenter was about 29 that doesn't mean much. Presumably he's graduated Watcher college so he must be 21+, but beyond that I don't think we ever get an age for the guy. He freaks out over the fact that Cordelia is a student, but given his strict adherence to social propriety that doesn't help much in placing his age.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was supposed to be 22 or similar, given how inexperienced he is. Of course, we see a bunch of Watchers who act like terrified children around vampires, so who knows.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would have a guess at mid twenties.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Presumably the Watcher pathway is taking A levels a year early then a rush through Oxbridge (They'd have already read most the material prior) so shave a year off there as well. No GAP year either. So they'd be starting Day One at the council as a Probate Junior Adjutant Viewer, from there you'd add two years as they survive the practicum candidate thresher of infrequent, simulated, and later controlled condition, exposure to a single drugged vampire, then six months to get a Potential Management & Invigilation certification and you are off to the races, or more specifically, Sunnydale, as a bona fides Watcher of The Council.

So, twenty four and a half years old.

The heightened aura of inexperience and youthful callow is due to a childhood spent entirely in books, classrooms and libraries.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 2, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
And Wesley was supposed to be a bit of a prodigy

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Given the "there can be only one" rule it seems like most watchers would be inexperienced book only types.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What we see of them in Season 5 of Buffy indicates a bunch of Ivory Tower-types.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not gonna search it out but didn't they say Wesley was 26 when he showed up?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Let's be honest, a dude crushing on a girl 8 years younger than him is really nothing compared to a guy crushing on a girl 400 years younger than him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Medullah posted:

Let's be honest, a dude crushing on a girl 8 years younger than him is really nothing compared to a guy crushing on a girl 400 years younger than him.

229 years :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bowmore posted:

And Wesley was supposed to be a bit of a prodigy

He was the head boy.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
depends on whether you count those years in hell or not

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That reminds me, nothing ever came out of Wesley's whole fake robot father thing, yeah? Not in the show or in the comics. We never found out who sent that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

That reminds me, nothing ever came out of Wesley's whole fake robot father thing, yeah? Not in the show or in the comics. We never found out who sent that?

I do not believe so, no.

So the lady is rewatching Season Seven and holy hell Kennedy is worse than I remembered.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

Not sure where I heard or read about it but I think one of the writers said it was sent by the Circle of the Black Thorn... Somehow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not sure where I heard or read about it but I think one of the writers said it was sent by the Circle of the Black Thorn... Somehow.

I once read robo-daddy was going to be part of the original S5 finale plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I once read robo-daddy was going to be part of the original S5 finale plans.

Buffy and Angel are the kind of shows where the term "robo-daddy" actually isn't specific enough. For a minute, I thought you were talking about the John Ritter stepdad. :v:

• Locked thread