Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, sometimes I get tired of seeing something in Angel that contradicts something earlier.

In the first episode of Season 5, Angel goes to "Spanky's" house and gets choked, to no effect because vampires don't breath. But...in Buffy season 2 Spike chokes Drusilla to stop her from fighting and leaves with her, because she passes out.

Yeah, they can smoke as well, but can't give CPR.
They have no pulse, but can be poisoned. and also get boners.

Best not to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
So I just got my season 2 thinpak. Some of the loving discs are already scratched and i just broke the seal? wtf? I barely got through the 1st and last episodes on the 2nd disc. What sucks about this is im pretty much about ready to go buy seasons 3-5 off amazon before the whole 19.99 price deal goes ='(

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Just noticed in Dr. Horrible: when Captain Hammer comes out of the freeze ray's grip, stands on Dr. Horrible's chest and finishes his song ("WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"), he's flipping Dr. Horrible the bird.

What a douchebag.

I love it.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Malloci posted:

I just finished Firefly and Serenity and prior to watching it i was uneasy about the synopsis "Sci-Fi Western". Though, I was very pleasantly surprised after finishing the season and film.

It sucks that it was prematurely canned, it seems that had it not of been it could have gone on to accomplish many seasons.

I still and very intrigued on who book really was.

The common theory is that he was an operative who left to be something of a cloistered emperor.

Malloci
Oct 9, 2006

by Ozma
Ya i figured with his knowledge of guns, ships, fighting and misc info on alliance insides and operativces that he was at one point in time an operative himself, but just never got that confirmed.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Former operative? Sure.
Cloistered Emperor? What the gently caress is that about?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was a cloistered emperor once. Didn't like the hours though, so I gave it up.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I picked up a nasty case of cloistered emperor from a toilet seat in Reno

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Stonefish posted:

Former operative? Sure.
Cloistered Emperor? What the gently caress is that about?

It's a metaphor, IRL's referring to a Japanese tradition from the 12th century. It essentially means someone that willingly left power and became a monk. Though it doesn't really fit since the cloistered emperors tended to control things from behind the scenes at least somewhat after they abdicated their thrones.

At least, it doesn't really fit so far as we know.

Paradol Ex
Nov 8, 2004

by Fragmaster

Idran posted:

It's a metaphor, IRL's referring to a Japanese tradition from the 12th century. It essentially means someone that willingly left power and became a monk. Though it doesn't really fit since the cloistered emperors tended to control things from behind the scenes at least somewhat after they abdicated their thrones.

At least, it doesn't really fit so far as we know.

You might have a point. Being an operative doesn't really seem like the sort of job that you can just give a two week notice for, and he got treated very, very well by the Alliance for someone who no longer believed in the cause.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Just finished season 2 of Angel..I'm really loving this show more and more. I can see myself picking up Buffy just to draw all the connections. God drat I do miss Doyle though. Gunn hasn't grown on me yet and part of me misses sad and despairing Angel =/. Is Fred a romantic interest? PLEASE SAY SO!

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Tokubetsu posted:

Just finished season 2 of Angel..I'm really loving this show more and more. I can see myself picking up Buffy just to draw all the connections. God drat I do miss Doyle though. Gunn hasn't grown on me yet and part of me misses sad and despairing Angel =/. Is Fred a romantic interest? PLEASE SAY SO!

For Angel? No. Not at all. Angel's relationship with Fred is that of a protector more than anything else. Now, for other characters? You'll see if you continue on.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tokubetsu posted:

What did you think about the Pylea arc?

Sad and despairing Angel is really never that far away.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

redshirt posted:

What did you think about the Pylea arc?

Sad and despairing Angel is really never that far away.

I liked it for the most part. The numfar bit and Lorne's mother were the best things but it could have been a lot worse. Bout to order the rest of the show, Really can't wait to see season 3.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was taken aback at first with the Pylea arc - it felt like it came out of nowhere and sidelined the plot I wanted to follow (Darla, Dru), but upon rewatching, I love it. It's like a movie within the season, and it's a great spin on the Wizard of Oz story.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
And it had Joss Whedon being treated like a retard and dancing around the yard.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just finished re-watching Angel Season 3 and started Season 4 again. I was so glad when the Groosalug finally left. He really got on my nerves... although not as much as Connor!

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just finished re-watching Angel Season 3 and started Season 4 again. I was so glad when the Groosalug finally left. He really got on my nerves... although not as much as Connor!

Seconding both of these comments. I started season 5 yesterday after finishing s4 and Buffy s7.

It's been a long ride, but it's almost over.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Who exactly would like the character of the Groosalug? I can't see anyone doing so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Stonefish posted:

Who exactly would like the character of the Groosalug? I can't see anyone doing so.

He had at least one funny line. I know he did even if I can't think o it right now.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Rhyno posted:

He had at least one funny line. I know he did even if I can't think o it right now.

"Hail to you, potential client!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stonefish posted:

David Boreanaz had started to put on the chub and they needed someone to balance Cordy in her bikini?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem with Angel is that it seems like sometimes they were just throwing every subplot or side character out there just to see what sticks. Then they end up just not really going anywhere. Like remember the really rich guy who liked Angel & Co, bought them the hotel and just kind of vanishes?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stonefish posted:

I liked Groo for what he was -- a stupid do-gooder. You know your show's all morally gray when the one undisputed Good Guy is a clod and a bore, and it's far better when he's not around. To preempt Captain Hammer comparisons, Groo was never a jerk, no, he was in fact a compassionate, honest, good person. Just a clod. And boring.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redshirt posted:

I liked Groo for what he was -- a stupid do-gooder. You know your show's all morally gray when the one undisputed Good Guy is a clod and a bore, and it's far better when he's not around. To preempt Captain Hammer comparisons, Groo was never a jerk, no, he was in fact a compassionate, honest, good person. Just a clod. And boring.

See also: Riley Finn.

muscles like this? posted:

A problem with Angel is that it seems like sometimes they were just throwing every subplot or side character out there just to see what sticks. Then they end up just not really going anywhere. Like remember the really rich guy who liked Angel & Co, bought them the hotel and just kind of vanishes?
The billionaire David Nabbitt (played by David Herman, better known as Michael Bolton in Office Space). I liked his character too, and always wished we could have seen more of him as a rich and powerful ally for Angel Investigations, someone with the wealth and resources to really help them oppose Wolfram & Hart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeJF posted:

David Boreanaz had started to put on the chub and they needed someone to balance Cordy in her bikini?

Speaking of, good lord did Charisma start looking good in Season 3. I mean she was always pretty on Buffy but wow did she look great on Angel.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of, good lord did Charisma start looking good in Season 3. I mean she was always pretty on Buffy but wow did she look great on Angel.

I actually think her costuming and whatnot was specifically chosen on Buffy to reduce her hotness so as not to upstage SMG. When she moved to Angel, that restriction was no longer there. Still, I thought the whole "LOL CORDELIA IZ HAWT" bits started to get a little old.

Madama Butterfly
Apr 6, 2005

All who dare to cross her course are swallowed by her fearsome force!

See also: Riley Finn.

Hm, both I came to really like both Groo and Riley the second time around, although their white-knight routine grates a tiny bit.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
Regarding the comics, are there finished arcs, and what are they? I've been putting off picking up the Season 8 because I need the complete arc when it comes to comics, and I had a feeling that once-a-month was going to turn in to whenever-we-get-around-to-it. Am I wrong?

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

chesh posted:

Regarding the comics, are there finished arcs, and what are they? I've been putting off picking up the Season 8 because I need the complete arc when it comes to comics, and I had a feeling that once-a-month was going to turn in to whenever-we-get-around-to-it. Am I wrong?

No, they've been pretty consistently on time. So far, there have been 3 completed story arcs:

#1-4 - The Long Way Home (available in TPB, with #5)
#6-9 - No Future For You (available in TPB, with #10)
#12-15 - Wolves at the Gate (available in TPB in November, presumably with #11)

Time of Your Life is the current arc (#16-19) and will conclude in October. #5, #10 and #11 are all one-shots.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone ever seen this footage from Buffy: The Animated Series? I know they tried to make it happen a few years ago, but I didn't know they had actually animated anything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnUvZP7-5LM

dimeat
Feb 28, 2003

Well let’s see it. I mean if it’s as big as you say, I’ll be your girlfriend. [gasps] We could go to prom together.
^^ drat it beaten

The 3 minute pilot presentation thing of Buffy the Animated Series is now on youtube.

Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_The_Animated_Series

All the original actors except for SMG voiced their characters. Too bad this wasn't made, it would have been interesting.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
It makes me all nostalgy, but honestly aside from a few pretty good lines I'm glad it never really made it to air.

That being said, hoo boy, the possibilities.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Has anyone ever seen this footage from Buffy: The Animated Series? I know they tried to make it happen a few years ago, but I didn't know they had actually animated anything:

Would have been cool to see more of high-school era Buffy, but it was apparently "alternate timeline Season 1" with Dawn :barf:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
this is unimportant to anything in the thread, but I just watched all of firefly, and i loved it!

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

dimeat posted:

All the original actors except for SMG voiced their characters. Too bad this wasn't made, it would have been interesting.

Seriously? It sounded exactly like her. The only one I thought was a replacement was Giles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Psimitry posted:

Seriously? It sounded exactly like her. The only one I thought was a replacement was Giles.

I bet Gellar would be all aboard an animated series these days what with how her film career is misfiring.

Ain Paradisum
Nov 20, 2005

by Ozma

Rhyno posted:

Seriously? She let her figure go after season 2, and got that trashy tramp stamp and I thought she looked far worse.

If you go back and watch the first few seasons of Buffy (particularly the cheerleading parts) she's got an amazing body, then suddenly between seasons 2 and 3 of Angel she actually gets chubby but somehow wears even more revealing outfits.

Sucks that she waited so long for playboy, not even the best airbrushing in the world made her look the way she used to.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Would have been cool to see more of high-school era Buffy, but it was apparently "alternate timeline Season 1" with Dawn :barf:

I'd be cool with that. I always figured they completely underutilised the "holy poo poo, the first four years of this show occured completely differently" thing. I wanted to see how Dawn got along with Angel or Faith or Dru or... I dunno, Amy or someone else who would have only met her when she didn't exist. There was potential for some pretty cool offhand comments about poo poo that never happened that would leave you wondering.

and yeah, whoever did the voice of Buffy in that animated bit was bang-on after the first scene. Better than that terrible Giselle person who did the video games.
(Odds that it's the same person? Pretty high)

Edit: A conversation between Dawn and Oz. Now that would be a trainwreck to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Stonefish posted:

Edit: A conversation between Dawn and Oz. Now that would be a trainwreck to behold.

You made me think of a conversation between Dawn and Shia LaBoeuf:

"GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT!"
"NoNOnoNOnoNOnoNOnoNOnoNO!"

• Locked thread