Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Does anyone have recommendations for places to get a decent quality cloth desk mat with custom print? The rubber underside on mine finally deteriorated to the point where it's dried and peeling off and I want to try making something in Illustrator instead of replacing it with another boring black mat.

While I'm here:

The red keys are only because the regular ones are in the wash I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Love a good, clean, station :)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
This is my all purpose gaming/home office/spare room home theater situation. Forgive the atmos wires... it's a work in progress.

It's 7.1.2 but I'm not finalized on if I want to have Atmos or just take down the height speakers altogether (which is why I haven't hidden the wires yet). I feel like if I do want to do Atmos, I really need 2x more of the height speakers so I can do a proper layout... kinda lazy about it though

The best thing I ever did for this setup was get a Dirac Live receiver, you would be amazed at the sound you can get with a good room EQ.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Taima posted:

This is my all purpose gaming/home office/spare room home theater situation. Forgive the atmos wires... it's a work in progress.

It's 7.1.2 but I'm not finalized on if I want to have Atmos or just take down the height speakers altogether (which is why I haven't hidden the wires yet). I feel like if I do want to do Atmos, I really need 2x more of the height speakers so I can do a proper layout... kinda lazy about it though

The best thing I ever did for this setup was get a Dirac Live receiver, you would be amazed at the sound you can get with a good room EQ.

Stick with 5.1 (or I guess 7.1 in your case), especially for such a small space. gently caress an atmos

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I think i'm with you. I don't really feel like it helped :( but I wasn't sure how much it mattered that I only had two. Thanks for the perspective.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Taima posted:

I think i'm with you. I don't really feel like it helped :( but I wasn't sure how much it mattered that I only had two. Thanks for the perspective.

At this point I would treat ATMOS as more of a curiosity than anything. As far as hard numbers are concerned, adoption has flopped super hard and that's being generous. The vast majority of setups aren't even "true" atmos, it's poo poo like ceiling bounce speakers and soundbars with a bunch of extra tiny drivers shoved into them that don't accomplish anything meaningful. Maybe we'll see more/better adoption from mastering houses now that Apple is trying to make spatial audio though headphones a thing and we continue to move toward object-oriented mixing ubiquitization, but I don't think home theater ATMOS is ever gonna truly matter. Spending the extra ATMOS money collecting a dead physical media format would give you a way better ROI.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Surround sound in general is kind of a wank; especially the way most people do it; which is to buy a cheap surround sound system where you end up with a bunch of speakers but they’re all poo poo. It’s one thing if you’re dropping the $$$ on a proper home theatre setup; when you’re buying speakers for your computer just buy a good quality pair of powered monitors and call it a day; you’ll get a nicer experience (especially since they’ll probably be designed for near field listening.

Or obviously a good pair of headphones works too; especially if you’re on a tighter budget.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

fawning deference posted:

A bit of a late response, but I am looking at standing desks and this one looks like exactly what I want. Which is it?

I was scrolling through this thread and I totally missed this. Probably way too late, but I didn't want to leave you hangin'!

Here is the desk I own, and I've had it for exactly three years now and have had zero problems with it.:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GVRKCWP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's what my setup looks like now:

bredfrown fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 18, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

At this point I would treat ATMOS as more of a curiosity than anything. As far as hard numbers are concerned, adoption has flopped super hard and that's being generous. The vast majority of setups aren't even "true" atmos, it's poo poo like ceiling bounce speakers and soundbars with a bunch of extra tiny drivers shoved into them that don't accomplish anything meaningful. Maybe we'll see more/better adoption from mastering houses now that Apple is trying to make spatial audio though headphones a thing and we continue to move toward object-oriented mixing ubiquitization, but I don't think home theater ATMOS is ever gonna truly matter. Spending the extra ATMOS money collecting a dead physical media format would give you a way better ROI.

It's a drat shame really because the premise, imo, is really cool. I wonder if the implicit issue here is that adoption is so low? So there is no real impetus to create good Atmos mixes, which then decreases adoption further in a feedback loop.

Totally agreed that the fake Atmos bullshit has not helped at all. Even a 5.1 system is so intense for an average movie enjoyer, then saying "well you need 4 more height speakers, oh and you need a way better receiver, etc etc" just isn't too compelling, even if a bullet whizzing over your head is pretty cool in practice, the value prop is not there at all.

I have enjoyed a lot of Atmos apple music tracks on my home theater and they are sometimes great and sometimes utter poo poo. The track has to be suited for it, and then the mixing has to be good... it's very hit or miss. But I will say, when it hits, it HITS. Can really be a wonderful experience with a full-fat surround system and the R3s as the backbone.

The Lord Bude posted:

Surround sound in general is kind of a wank; especially the way most people do it; which is to buy a cheap surround sound system where you end up with a bunch of speakers but they’re all poo poo. It’s one thing if you’re dropping the $$$ on a proper home theatre setup; when you’re buying speakers for your computer just buy a good quality pair of powered monitors and call it a day; you’ll get a nicer experience (especially since they’ll probably be designed for near field listening.

Right, the home theater in a box stuff is almost universally trash, but at the same time you can get 4x JBL 530s (which I consider to be pretty competent) for $120-140 per speaker. That would make an ok surround setup.

Personally as you can see, I opted for the KEF R3 as my main fronts. And oh MAN they are absolutely loving glorious, just wonderful speakers (even if they are fussy and hard to dial). But all of my side and rear speakers are JBL 530s. And my center is a Martin Logan ribbon-tweeter deal that I got cheap.

So the priority in my system goes:
Fronts >>> Center >> Satellites

And I'm very pleased with those priorities. Though like I said, I do think using a full 530 setup would probably be decent and would be so cheap.

Honestly the use case for surround sound that excites me the most, by far, is gaming, so that's where my setup sees the most use by far.

But yeah- I can agree that powered monitors are perfect for most people. They just wouldn't work for me; I need a good subwoofer. And I really believe in Dirac Live, it's like magic.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

bredfrown posted:

Here's what my setup looks like now:

That old-school computer on the side is sick as all get out.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
I was gifted that SE/30 from my high school English teacher about 17 years ago, and I was able to get it restored last year with a brand-spanking-new rebuilt motherboard. It suffered a nasty "battery bomb" where the old lithium batteries essentially explode and damage the boards, lol.

Works great and I use it to write scripts for my game and some basic financial stuff and pixel art. :P

I love this little machine. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Taima posted:

It's a drat shame really because the premise, imo, is really cool. I wonder if the implicit issue here is that adoption is so low? So there is no real impetus to create good Atmos mixes, which then decreases adoption further in a feedback loop.

Totally agreed that the fake Atmos bullshit has not helped at all. Even a 5.1 system is so intense for an average movie enjoyer, then saying "well you need 4 more height speakers, oh and you need a way better receiver, etc etc" just isn't too compelling, even if a bullet whizzing over your head is pretty cool in practice, the value prop is not there at all.

I have enjoyed a lot of Atmos apple music tracks on my home theater and they are sometimes great and sometimes utter poo poo. The track has to be suited for it, and then the mixing has to be good... it's very hit or miss. But I will say, when it hits, it HITS. Can really be a wonderful experience with a full-fat surround system and the R3s as the backbone.

Right, the home theater in a box stuff is almost universally trash, but at the same time you can get 4x JBL 530s (which I consider to be pretty competent) for $120-140 per speaker. That would make an ok surround setup.

Personally as you can see, I opted for the KEF R3 as my main fronts. And oh MAN they are absolutely loving glorious, just wonderful speakers (even if they are fussy and hard to dial). But all of my side and rear speakers are JBL 530s. And my center is a Martin Logan ribbon-tweeter deal that I got cheap.

So the priority in my system goes:
Fronts >>> Center >> Satellites

And I'm very pleased with those priorities. Though like I said, I do think using a full 530 setup would probably be decent and would be so cheap.

Honestly the use case for surround sound that excites me the most, by far, is gaming, so that's where my setup sees the most use by far.

But yeah- I can agree that powered monitors are perfect for most people. They just wouldn't work for me; I need a good subwoofer. And I really believe in Dirac Live, it's like magic.

Oh you can certainly add a subwoofer if your choice of monitors doesn’t go deep enough for you. I don’t have anything against a 2.1 setup; albeit I don’t need it with my gigantic edifiers. It’s more surround sound for a computer setup (and especially folks buying poo poo like logitech 7.1 all in one systems) that shits me.

Even for a living room/tv room setup though, I think most folks would be better served with a pair of good floorstanders and maybe a subwoofer.