Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

runawayturtles posted:

Wait, you own a chair that's not an embody?

I suspect he has it just so that he can randomly come home from work and be like "Let's see how the other half lives, shall we?"

Then 10 minutes later he's like "this sucks, forget this" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

I put mine in the music nook

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

runawayturtles posted:

Wait, you own a chair that's not an embody?
my fiancée stole mine because she's in med school and needs it more than me. it's also why she gets the view. waiting for the spring sale to pick up a replacement

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

rofl

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I'm starting a new mostly-remote job in a couple of weeks so I'm in the market for a new desk. I currently have a little cramped computer desk and I hate it. I'm looking for something that can comfortably accommodate a laptop that will be mostly docked and closed, at least two decent-sized (~24") monitors, and whatever equipment I would need to switch control of the monitors, keyboard, and mouse between the laptop for work and my personal desktop for other uses. I would guess something that big would essentially be a butcher block with no drawers, which would be fine, but bonus points if it has at least a wide middle drawer and a filing drawer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

owl_pellet posted:

I'm starting a new mostly-remote job in a couple of weeks so I'm in the market for a new desk. I currently have a little cramped computer desk and I hate it. I'm looking for something that can comfortably accommodate a laptop that will be mostly docked and closed, at least two decent-sized (~24") monitors, and whatever equipment I would need to switch control of the monitors, keyboard, and mouse between the laptop for work and my personal desktop for other uses. I would guess something that big would essentially be a butcher block with no drawers, which would be fine, but bonus points if it has at least a wide middle drawer and a filing drawer.

If you really want those wide drawers, thread favorite Husky “workbench” standing desk is available at various sizes with or without them.

They may be available in black and white at this point, often the white goes in and out of stock in my area.

There are lots of other options if you want a powered option, including buying a standalone frame from Monoprice or one of 1000 brands and putting a butcher block of your own on it.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
I'm an absolute thought leader in the field of productivity, discipline, and following your dreams. Love these setups and will be putting them in my Notion dream board.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Maudib Arakkis posted:

I'm an absolute thought leader in the field of productivity, discipline, and following your dreams. Love these setups and will be putting them in my Notion dream board.

Where can I like comment and subscribe?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

owl_pellet posted:

I grabbed a massive butcher block countertop from ikea and two Alex drawers.

Well, two countertops, and three Alex drawers, because we have two desks next to eachother.

Glorious 13 feet of wood and 15 drawers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Here's my temporary set-up:

There's a slightly more conventional desk in my vestibule waiting for someone to carry it into this room with me. It's oak and very quite heavy.

(This isn't actually as uncomfortable as I thought. I'm sitting on my sofa and my back hasn't gone yet in the two weeks this has been my desk!)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Moved to a place in the city

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

benisntfunny posted:

Moved to a place in the city

Welcome to Detroit Unless I'm mistaken

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TraderStav posted:

Welcome to Detroit Unless I'm mistaken

It's Chicago

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

benisntfunny posted:

It's Chicago

Goddamnit, I swore that was the Ren Cen in the back. Damned pandemic has me forgetting the Detroit skyline...

I'll take this L in shame.

e: But beautiful set up, enjoy

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Got let go from work, figured I'd take my time to clean up my room and trial stacked monitors. Not pictured: the absolute state of the rest of my room.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Did you lose your job because you only have half a keyboard

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Got let go from work, figured I'd take my time to clean up my room and trial stacked monitors. Not pictured: the absolute state of the rest of my room.

Sorry to hear that. :smith: You'll bounce back with something better.

Also, are those spaceship keyboards a trend that I just never caught on to?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I found a very old picture of my first computer desk from around 2005, still living at the house I grew up in, and thought I would post a modern comparison.

I'm a bit amused that I stumbled onto the same configuration nearly 20 years later.

My current desk if far from the cleanest build I've even done, but I'm a bit tired of perfectly wire managing everything, only to have to redo it to swap out a cable. This looks a bit messy, but I can quickly move anything and still keep everything channeled.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Sorry to hear that but onwards and upwards!

Nice, clean setup...how are you finding the stacked monitor thing? Also what keyboard is that? I sometimes feel like a t-rex using my gmmk2, constantly shifting it around and wondering if a split board would help

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Like a lot of people, I don’t have a traditional computer tower these days but the desk I just bought (as it was the most suitable one for the space) has a section dedicated for one. I’m struggling to think of what to put in there. Any good ideas?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

EL BROMANCE posted:

Like a lot of people, I don’t have a traditional computer tower these days but the desk I just bought (as it was the most suitable one for the space) has a section dedicated for one. I’m struggling to think of what to put in there. Any good ideas?

Dog or cat; as per your personal preference

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Alas the hound I have has an incompatible form factor, but I like this line of thinking.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Plants or a few stacked narrow containers with lids for PC hardware stuff.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

EL BROMANCE posted:

Alas the hound I have has an incompatible form factor, but I like this line of thinking.

could always get a laptop model and just have both

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

I can't find where to get this do I just need to print my own

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tacosupreme posted:

I can't find where to get this do I just need to print my own
attempted copyright infringement detected. mods please permaban this user for violating intellectual property laws!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Cut away the two front struts, a sagging desk is a small price to pay to have man's best friend at your side.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Nolgthorn posted:

Cut away the two front struts, a sagging desk is a small price to pay to have man's best friend at your side.

Then you might as well make the doggo permanent as load bearing pooch.

If you cut the inner leg in the rear and the outer leg in front; you get to keep structural integrity and allow for a space that fits most dog sizes.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

tribbledirigible posted:

Then you might as well make the doggo permanent as load bearing pooch.

If you cut the inner leg in the rear and the outer leg in front; you get to keep structural integrity and allow for a space that fits most dog sizes.

Cerb-Atlas Desk Holder!

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Food Boner posted:

Did you lose your job because you only have half a keyboard

Haha, no. I admittedly got a little lazy when I started getting jaded with the company's day to day.

Hughmoris posted:

Also, are those spaceship keyboards a trend that I just never caught on to?

The keyboard is an Iris from Keebio. I've REALLY enjoyed it so far, but I'm also decently deep into the mechanical keyboard hobby and had been considering a move to split, ortholinear keyboard for a year - so part of the fun of buying one was putting it together with the switches/keycaps I wanted.

SocksAndSandals posted:

Nice, clean setup...how are you finding the stacked monitor thing? Also what keyboard is that? I sometimes feel like a t-rex using my gmmk2, constantly shifting it around and wondering if a split board would help

In my 2 weeks of experience with with it, a split keyboard doesn't stop me from wanting to move around in my chair, but it does let me settle into a position (leaned back, forward, even to the sides) for longer because I can adjust the halves to feel comfortable from whatever position I'm typing in. I wouldn't recommend a split keyboard outright if your problem is constantly adjusting in your seat, but I'm glad I went with a smaller version of a split keyboard instead of something larger because moving each half is much easier whenever I do want to adjust how I'm sitting.

As for the stacked monitors, I'm only 48 hours in and it's a mixed bag. I love how much horizontal space it frees up, but I do find the top monitor really isn't ideal for anything reference material. A couple of times I've found myself putting a Youtube video on the top monitor and found it myself staring at it long enough to start feeling some strain in my neck. I think there are a few things would help with it (if I could raise the monitors higher than the current arm mount allows, if I had a headrest that helped lessen the strain on my neck) but I'm still trying it out for a while to see if I get used to it or if I can stop myself from getting fixated on it. I'm also waiting on a laptop to try with the monitors since I'm using this same desk for work/gaming and want to see how that fits into my setup/workflow.

Thanks for the well wishes, it's appreciated.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

Spent all weekend ripping Youtube audio and putting that on an Rockboxed mSATA iPod, and with the remaining 50gb left, I am converting my 80gb of .m4a files to .mp3 using ffmpeg and seeing what they'll compress down to for transfer to the same iPod.

I have nothing better to do.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 16, 2024

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I am converting my 80gb of .m4a files to .mp3 using ffmpeg and seeing what they'll compress down to for transfer to the same iPod.

Why, isn't .m4a/AAC a preferable format for iPod?

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Saukkis posted:

Why, isn't .m4a/AAC a preferable format for iPod?

It is. I'm trying to reduce file size through compression so as not to compromise on the podcasts I shoved on it. Don't worry, got the AAC files still, put 'em back when I exhaust the other stuff and remove it later.

Also I'm bored and like watching text scroll.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 16, 2024

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

It is. I'm trying to reduce file size through compression so as not to compromise on the podcasts I shoved on it. Don't worry, got the AAC files still, put 'em back when I exhaust the other stuff and remove it later.

In that case I would assume it would be better to compress the files to smaller AACs.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Also I'm bored and like watching text scroll.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

You will see exactly the same text scrolling when you use FFMPEG to compress the files to smaller AACs.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

man, i want one of those.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Wistful of Dollars posted:

man, i want one of those.
too bad

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Finally got around to wall-mounting the monitors I use for work and my personal desktop.

Used extruded aluminum framework to hold everything together. It is adjustable so in the future if work ever replaces the two monitors that are on the outside of the one that I supplied in the middle there should be plenty of flexibility to make it all fit together.

A KVM switch was not an option because work's security policy requires direct wiring a monitors to the computer or docking station, so there are six display cables, a USB cable, and power run through the wall. Work also prohibits any wireless input devices (again for security reasons), so that is the reason for the USB keyboard and mouse.

Here is the corner of shame, I have a power cord being delivered soon that will clean up things and let me get rid of the small power strip. Who knows when I'll actually install it though.

All that space on the desk, and this Dingus wants to stand here...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Shifty Pony posted:

Finally got around to wall-mounting the monitors I use for work and my personal desktop.

Looks good! I admire your clean cable management. There is a nightmare of wires under my desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shifty Pony posted:

replace the towel with a heating pad and they will never move.

https://www.amazon.com/Heating-Electric-Shoulder-Machine-Washable/dp/B0CF9H4KBX