Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

crazysim posted:

Why is your keyboard wrapping around the ouside?

I don't understand the cabling in this entire thread. Please everyone get a loving duster and some velcro ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Never really thought about it I guess. I suppose that I could route it up the left side of the monitor but I really don't care. I have to move my stuff pretty frequently for cleaning anyways.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kri kri posted:

I don't understand the cabling in this entire thread. Please everyone get a loving duster and some velcro ties.

Some of us don't give a poo poo

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

I really need to work on my mess of cables.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

I'm buying an iMac soon because I hate using a laptop all the time.

geezersteez
Dec 10, 2004
from now till infinity
you bastards have some tight setups. goons are crazy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rock Tumbler posted:

I didn't either and now that I have literally over 50 cables behind my desk it actually became physically difficult to add or remove something.

I guess for small computer setups it really doesn't matter though.

FEAR THE NUG
Jul 2, 2008
Nevermind I'm an ignorant rear end in a top hat.

FEAR THE NUG fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 11, 2008

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Misogynist posted:

I didn't either and now that I have literally over 50 cables behind my desk it actually became physically difficult to add or remove something.

I guess for small computer setups it really doesn't matter though.

I would think that with all the cables tied/bundled together it would be even more troublesome..

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

jmmtn4aj posted:

I would think that with all the cables tied/bundled together it would be even more troublesome..

Proper use of velcro ties to bundled helps prevent cables from getting tangled with proper routing it makes it way easier to add or move cables then when you have the octopus mess.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
*orders iMac with wireless keyboard, mouse and power*

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jmmtn4aj posted:

This was the case with zip ties and twist ties, which is why I don't use either anymore. I got 165 feet of double-sided velcro for about $35 online, and it's been lovely.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

Rock Tumbler posted:

Some of us prefer not living like poo poo and we often make the mistake thinking that everyone is like us, for which we apologize.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
*has an iMac and cables are still all over the place*

*doesn't give a poo poo*

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...

MW posted:

Some of us prefer not living like poo poo and we often make the mistake thinking that everyone is like us, for which we apologize.

Yeah man. Cables untidy? You're living like poo poo.

Hamled
Sep 11, 2003
My desktop is probably not going to look impressive to anyone, especially considering some of the other desktops (Anaconda Rifle? Holy Cow man!), but at least I don't have all kinds of messy cables around like some of you:

The main thing is that my normal Desktop PC is in the shop right now due to a serious virus problem. So all I have is this laptop that I got from work. I think it might be a Mac? I've been having all sorts of problems with it lately. :(

Hamled fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 11, 2008

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Iblys posted:

WHAT. THE. gently caress. IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU ARE LIVING LIKE poo poo. THOSE CABLES SMELL LIKE A BAG OF rear end!

GOD... drat... loving CABLES... ARE EVERYWHERE! AAAHHHHHH!

FRONT LEANING REST POSITION. GO.

SIDE STRADDLE HOPS. GO.

THATS IT, EVERYONE INTO THE loving PIT! I CAN'T FUCKIN' BELIEVE THE CABLES IN HERE. YOU FUCKS ARE LIVING LIKE SHHHHIIIIT.

everyone gives ya a hateful look because your untidy cables hosed them over once again

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Galg posted:

WHAT. THE. gently caress. IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU ARE LIVING LIKE poo poo. THOSE CABLES SMELL LIKE A BAG OF rear end!
GOD... drat... loving CABLES... ARE EVERYWHERE! AAAHHHHHH!
FRONT LEANING REST POSITION. GO.
SIDE STRADDLE HOPS. GO.
THATS IT, EVERYONE INTO THE loving PIT! I CAN'T FUCKIN' BELIEVE THE CABLES IN HERE. YOU FUCKS ARE LIVING LIKE SHHHHIIIIT.
everyone gives ya a hateful look because your untidy cables hosed them over once again

What?

In a colocation facility, wiring room, server cabinet, office installation, etc, yes, cabling tidiness is important.

Home users need to plug things in and have them work. Yes there may be too many cables, but Christ stop with the insane ramblings about it.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Sniep posted:

What?

In a colocation facility, wiring room, server cabinet, office installation, etc, yes, cabling tidiness is important.

Home users need to plug things in and have them work. Yes there may be too many cables, but Christ stop with the insane ramblings about it.

I didn't really mean anything by it; I was trying to mock the whole cable discussion thing, but I failed I guess. No hard feelings :)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Galg posted:

I didn't really mean anything by it; I was trying to mock the whole cable discussion thing, but I failed I guess. No hard feelings :)

Oh, I think I got what you were saying just your post was incomprehensible. No worries, rats-nests piss me off too.

jarryd
Aug 9, 2005
Oh

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
To everyone with multiple computers and monitors running 24/7/365: what do your electric bills look like?

swalk
Nov 20, 2004
bucka blaow

samoth posted:

To everyone with multiple computers and monitors running 24/7/365: what do your electric bills look like?

I'll have to ask my mom :v:

Isbiten
Oct 23, 2005

I hope to replace the radio for something less ugly. Anyone know if there are speakers that get their sound from USB instead of the regular headphone jack. Because I'd like to plug it in to my USB hub so I only need one USB to access all desktop stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just plug your speakers into this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118107

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

atomic johnson posted:

All Velcro'ed up under the desk...

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

This is awesome but what do you do when you need to take your Macbook somewhere? Getting behind the desk for the power brick must be a pain.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Corbet posted:

This is awesome but what do you do when you need to take your Macbook somewhere? Getting behind the desk for the power brick must be a pain.

You think these people take their Macbooks out of the house?

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

c0burn posted:

You think these people take their Macbooks out of the house?

I used to have a laptop so I could 'take it to uni' but in 3 years I took it out the house once. So I just got a desktop and admitted it wasn't going anywhere. Will post a pic of my too intricate set up later.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

Iblys posted:

For the record, I don't care about cables, but many of the posted photos have visible thick layers of dust on everything. How you can let it progress to that state and not even care when taking a photo is beyond me.

atomic johnson
Dec 7, 2000

peeping-tom techie with x-ray eyes

Corbet posted:

Actually, it's not really a pain at all. I really DO seldom take it out of the house -- I got it for grad school, but now I don't really have a lot of need for a portable computer except for when I travel for work. So once every couple of months, I have to bend down and un-Velcro a couple of things. Hardly a big deal.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Crazy carpet, crazy desk fan... Crazy mess.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Swollen Member posted:

The PlayStation 3 is signed by Hideo Kojima and I've got a 500 GB Time Capsule out of the frame providing wireless internet to both computers.

I was inspired by this thread to update my desk. New setup:

As you can see I'm still living like poo poo.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sniep posted:

Fear my awesome cubicle at work lol :v:

Because of all the cord love, here's the underside: :v:

I just had to admit to the shame of working like poo poo.

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

Swollen Member posted:

I was inspired by this thread to update my desk. New setup:

As you can see I'm still living like poo poo.

Synergy son, or if it's all mac just use teleport, it takes like .3 seconds to set up.

Limes
Feb 27, 2004

Hello, good evening, and bollocks.

Isbiten posted:

I hope to replace the radio for something less ugly. Anyone know if there are speakers that get their sound from USB instead of the regular headphone jack. Because I'd like to plug it in to my USB hub so I only need one USB to access all desktop stuff.

I really like that photo on your wall of the two cars. Do you know where you got it, or who it's by?

Super Delegate
Jan 20, 2005

ƃɐlɟ ǝɥʇ

I cleaned up my wiring a little bit.

ChickenFart
Feb 10, 2003

Under the url, churn.
Another member of the cubicle club checking in!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Thanks MS Paint, I didn't want a recognizable image.

I should have cleaned up my cables so you guys couldn't tell I was living like poo poo.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Thanks MS Paint, I didn't want a recognizable image.

Use Paint.NET in the future. It's free, has features closer to Photoshop than MSPaint, and has an option to make JPEGs not look like poo poo (when you save the image, set the quality slider to 100 and viola, good looking JPEGs).

Or just use PNGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Corbet posted:

Well, the easy answer is to buy a second brick.