Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Corbet posted:

The fact that alot of people have nice modern gaming PCs and 5+ year old CRTs boggles my mind. :psyduck:

Some of us like having highish resolution, fairly dense pixels, and not spending more than $35 for a monitor. I mean, my "nice modern gaming PC" cost me $300 or so, and you can barely get a half decent monitor for that nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yep, I live like poo poo.
This is kind of a "before" picture, it's as it is right now, but I'm trying to improve it. My plan is to get everything rackmounted (or on shelves) in that cabinet under the rightmost monitor.

All my CRTs are good to me. The three that I use are all PerfectFlat Trinitrons, the two main ones do 1600x1200@85Hz. For $35 each. I can rarely find a monitor under $300 that doesn't ghost like a bitch (like that Dell LCD on the left, whose panel I replaced with a PVA one... excellent color, lovely response) or look like total crap (TN panels). Color's great on the CRTs, motion looks great, I just don't take them to LAN parties (that's what the Dell LCD is for).

e: I suppose I shouldn't say that all my CRTs have been good. I used to have another 19" like the one second to the right, but it died (logic problem, monitor test works, but the signal itself is the green tube only). Hence the too-large 21".

Raluek fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 15, 2008

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TuxRacer69 posted:

:psyduck: Why do you have so much poo poo there what do you even use there

My regular screenname is Packrat. It's for a reason. I do use most of the machines from time to time, and a few things are kept for sentimental reasons. The spare parts and boxes are "just in case".

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

quote:

mixed horror
I know, I'm working on getting rid of stuff. That's part of my motivation of posting in this thread, to get my rear end going on cleanup.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Prelude Gundam posted:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Yeah.. I'll probably label things later.

See, here's a guy who's not living like poo poo. You can't even tell he has cables!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DevastatorIIC posted:

I count like, five motherboards in that picture. :toot: Anyone else do better?

Yeah most of them are out of frame

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InferiorWang posted:

1 Machine. Use VMware if you want "extra" machines. Just virtualize your clutter. Keep an extra nic around just in case. Everything else should be dumped or donated.

That's what I'm in the process of doing. I'm gonna be putting almost all my machines on Craigslist once I do clean installs on them (and get around to it). The black machine on the floor is staying though, it was my first homebuild so I'm rather fond of it. It's not worth anything anyways (AthlonXP system).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jink posted:

a PC as well as a Mac. I am bucking the trend!

I have I think one of the top five lovely-assed rooms in this thread, and I've got some macs in the middle of my room set up for that repeating backgrounds thread, I've just been lazy.... I've got a Performa 6400/200 and an Apple IIci set up on boxes in the middle of my floor. Have to step over them to get to my bed from the door.

How's that for pathetic bucking the trend?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I guess this is the best place to ask this. I'll be totally re-configuring my desk area, and I need kind of a special desk. It has to support 300LB and be wide enough for three 24" widescreens. Is this possible with something that won't cost more than my car, or should I just make something out of 2x4 and plywood?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tonelok posted:

Raluek if you have the money, just pick up the Galant from Ikea - there are several sizes to pick from.

Looking at them, looks like their widest one is 63" wide. Baaarely enough, with some monitor overhang. I think that's enough considering the slight arc they would be in, and that overhang isn't the worst thing in the world. Doesn't look like there's any way to tell what size the ones people are selling are without emailing everyone. Oh well, my quest begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Alligator posted:

'Tis a Dell XPS 430 case. Looking around I don't think they're sold individually.so it stays quiet.

No use if they did, they're (probably) BTX. Not just flipped-upside-down ATX, but actual BTX, so you can't use pretty much any board in there except the Dell ones.

At least that was the case last time I took one apart.