Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

They’re not exactly broke boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

there's no reason why you can't have one of the two monitors centered in front of you, and the other at the side tilted towards you

Then it wouldn't be symmetrical and your workspace would look like rear end. I will always be a devoted one monitor guy but if I was to go multi monitor I would have 3 identical ones with the outer ones tilted for the symmetry.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Definitely toilet train your new puppy before you go buying any carpets.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

One hand on the cat; the other hand on the mouse. And a keyboard to keep them apart. Dunno what you use to type with in this scenario though when both hands are busy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Personally I like to keep monitors about an arm and a half length from my face. It’s bette for my eyes and it’s more comfy with the big monitors we all have now. So 3’ sounds about right for depth of a desk.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Koskun posted:

Which they are, with the keyboard tray that is. That pushes me back from the edge of the desk a foot.

Oh right. I’ve never liked keyboard trays so I end up much closer to the desk.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I would never use a mouse without a mousepad; but I would also never put my wallet in my back pocket and I can’t for the life of me understand why people do. It’s the easiest place for a pickpocket to grab it without you realising (not that I live anywhere where that might be an issue); it’s the hardest pocket to reach comfortably, it’s more likely to create a silly unsightly bulge, it damages your credit cards, and you have to have a bloody wallet poking you in the rear end every time you sit down.

the only thing worse would be the deeply perverted individuals who keep their smartphone in their back pocket.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

You ever see a wallet chain go to the front? Exactly!

right so chaining my wallet up for even greater inconvenience is a better alternative to just putting it in a normal side pocket?

honestly in these times of Apple Pay being universally supported by banks and merchants and digital ID being a thing I don’t even carry a wallet 90% of the time, just my phone. My wallet certainly hasn’t had any actual cash in it for nearly a decade.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

frogbs posted:

Mods, please, thrread title

No; better thread title would be ‘Post your (actual) Stovetops’

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Like a lot of people, I don’t have a traditional computer tower these days but the desk I just bought (as it was the most suitable one for the space) has a section dedicated for one. I’m struggling to think of what to put in there. Any good ideas?

Dog or cat; as per your personal preference

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Alas the hound I have has an incompatible form factor, but I like this line of thinking.

could always get a laptop model and just have both

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Makes you wonder what the oldest thread on SA is. It might very well be this one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Surround sound in general is kind of a wank; especially the way most people do it; which is to buy a cheap surround sound system where you end up with a bunch of speakers but they’re all poo poo. It’s one thing if you’re dropping the $$$ on a proper home theatre setup; when you’re buying speakers for your computer just buy a good quality pair of powered monitors and call it a day; you’ll get a nicer experience (especially since they’ll probably be designed for near field listening.

Or obviously a good pair of headphones works too; especially if you’re on a tighter budget.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Taima posted:

It's a drat shame really because the premise, imo, is really cool. I wonder if the implicit issue here is that adoption is so low? So there is no real impetus to create good Atmos mixes, which then decreases adoption further in a feedback loop.

Totally agreed that the fake Atmos bullshit has not helped at all. Even a 5.1 system is so intense for an average movie enjoyer, then saying "well you need 4 more height speakers, oh and you need a way better receiver, etc etc" just isn't too compelling, even if a bullet whizzing over your head is pretty cool in practice, the value prop is not there at all.

I have enjoyed a lot of Atmos apple music tracks on my home theater and they are sometimes great and sometimes utter poo poo. The track has to be suited for it, and then the mixing has to be good... it's very hit or miss. But I will say, when it hits, it HITS. Can really be a wonderful experience with a full-fat surround system and the R3s as the backbone.

Right, the home theater in a box stuff is almost universally trash, but at the same time you can get 4x JBL 530s (which I consider to be pretty competent) for $120-140 per speaker. That would make an ok surround setup.

Personally as you can see, I opted for the KEF R3 as my main fronts. And oh MAN they are absolutely loving glorious, just wonderful speakers (even if they are fussy and hard to dial). But all of my side and rear speakers are JBL 530s. And my center is a Martin Logan ribbon-tweeter deal that I got cheap.

So the priority in my system goes:
Fronts >>> Center >> Satellites

And I'm very pleased with those priorities. Though like I said, I do think using a full 530 setup would probably be decent and would be so cheap.

Honestly the use case for surround sound that excites me the most, by far, is gaming, so that's where my setup sees the most use by far.

But yeah- I can agree that powered monitors are perfect for most people. They just wouldn't work for me; I need a good subwoofer. And I really believe in Dirac Live, it's like magic.

Oh you can certainly add a subwoofer if your choice of monitors doesn’t go deep enough for you. I don’t have anything against a 2.1 setup; albeit I don’t need it with my gigantic edifiers. It’s more surround sound for a computer setup (and especially folks buying poo poo like logitech 7.1 all in one systems) that shits me.

Even for a living room/tv room setup though, I think most folks would be better served with a pair of good floorstanders and maybe a subwoofer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Taima posted:

I think you're pretty bang-on, yeah. Floor standers can pump the bass. Wife wouldn't let me put a sub upstairs so we got JBL 580s and they slump for sure, way more than I figured.

I've heard really good things about Edifier so I assume they're doing good work as well.

Edifier and swan are both outstanding