Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

headlight posted:

Yes I use an EEE as my main and only machine.

Wow, that's quite a tempting setup. You're limited by analogue VGA on the monitor size, but how's the performance, and does the case feel like it's melting with the lid closed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Nicholas posted:

Where's the Vesa mount from? Do you find the monitor too far back on the desk?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Corbet posted:

This is awesome but what do you do when you need to take your Macbook somewhere? Getting behind the desk for the power brick must be a pain.

Well, the easy answer is to buy a second brick.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Apple keyboard for controlling the car?

Here's mine on the dining table. I'm not labeling it, you can guess, a starter: a yakiniku barbecue at the back.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

What are those widgets?

All Googly ones, Google Desktop Email gadget, Time Around the World, Google Gadgets Analog Clock, Google Desktop Weather Gadget, and Flickr Gadget.

Click here for the full 222x1021 image.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

In possession of a macbook air, about the same size as only the screen of the clunky Thinkpad hiding in the back. Hopefully next years models will be even smaller considering the spiffy Intel tablet demos.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 28, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

For finance you are better off with multiple PCs, all those monitors on one computer is slow as lard. The situation is only just about rectifying itself with the high end DisplayPort adapters.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I finally replaced all my monitors at once, so they're not all different sizes and heights.

The rightmost monitor is connected to both the Windows desktop (Pancake) and the OSX laptop (Quesadilla) via different inputs, so I can either do two screens for the PC plus one screen for the Mac, or have all three screens for the PC for widescreen gaming.

No Target Display Mode option? I guess it barely works on anything?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Magnus Praeda posted:

Honestly, I judge Elsa more for the poor cable management and ludicrous numbers of icons on the desktop than the fanart. At least both characters are over 18, afaik, and the art's not bad.

The plastic on the monitors is more disturbing than the cables.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mounting the keyboard and mouse tray under the desk but not mounting the monitors on the wall is odd. But then there is the carpet and printer on the floor, so :shrug:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Why not flush with the wall?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just cut it out? Now that gap is going to gather nasty and be annoying to clean.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Need to lower these desktop standards a bit:

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X and nVidia Quadro RTX 4000. Cheap desk from IKEA, expensive aircon from Kickstarter :3:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

shrike82 posted:

??? does it do anything special?

It takes 5 years to ship :lol:

It’s supposed to be small, quiet, and have good wifi control. It is however 40lbs, not a split so still noisy, and very much a 1.0 app with broken scheduling and bizarrely no server side storage of temps, no web app either. Looks ok I guess.

The rack mount is for the MLB, I don’t actually have a desktop. Although I do have an empty Dan A4 case sitting around. RTX Voice does cover up for its noisy rear end fan.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Room shuffle, now I have Ethernet access to the Internets, reduces latency but not visibly in anything. Small desk not conducive to using multiple computers.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Hed posted:

What is the model of your rack mount computer there? Looks neat.

It looks like this: https://2.polywell.com/2u-2000s

It is noisy, RTX Voice helps a lot for comms. It's also built a bit fruity, a Quadro RTX 4000 is secured through extra wholes drilled into the case and was quite hot during summer. Apparently you can wedge in a second but I didn't want to risk it and added in a PCIe WiFi card instead. The card is added via a PCIe riser cable which is so fragile it has taping over contact joints to keep it in place, although half the low 16-bit lanes is actually disconnected. The motherboard does not match the case, no room for vertical insertion of cards and nothing to secure horizontally placed ones of any size.

I should be returning it soon as MLB NYC opened this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bigger question, what is up with that ceiling?