Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
lovely cameraphone picture alert! It doesn't help that I brought in a traditional light because the fluoerescent lighting gave me a headache. This is my work setup, at home the 'office' never really gets used.

Dell 24" primary (left), lovely Acer 19" (right) for outlook, IMs, seeing what's up with media player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dum2007 posted:

Moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago and finally got the workstation of my dreams.

3 Linux PCs, Macbook Pro and an AppleTV hooked up to two extra displays and a set of Logitech Z5500s. Everything is controlled with one keyboard and mouse over Synergy. Only one of the linux machines runs Gnome, the other ones are accessible over ssh & vmware server console.

I bought the desk at Staples for about $150! I thought it was a real bargain. It's not 100% sturdy but the rails along the bottom make for excellent cable management.

I really need a new chair though...

Sup same desk buddy. I have the same one at home, and like it quite a bit. Of course my computer pooped the matress a long time ago and my fiances desktop is barely passable, so it doesn't get much use right now.

The nice thing about it is if the top ever gets too screwed up, just get a big piece of MDF or something sturdy and screw it down.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

rope kid posted:

I play our builds on a standard-def TV because no one else does. I think the gaming industry collectively says "gently caress you" to standard-def players, which is not only a bad idea but dangerous for meeting TCR/TRC requirements. Safe zones and text legibility FTW.

derail

Thank you for doing this. Wife and I recently bought a nice tv (Samsung LN46A550) and just got into playing 360 just before, and some of the games were pretty much illegible on my 27" CRT, which is ridiculous.

/derail

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Bucket Joneses posted:

I moved to a new place where I have a whole room for my office so I spent/wasted some time on it.

Click for the full size.

The desk is two maple filing cabinets with a solid maple countertop laid on top. The rest is pretty basic.

Excellent, I'm thinking about making my own desk in a similar fashion. Where did you get the countertop?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wanting to get my computer off the server rack and upstairs for the first time in a year, I built a desk out of junk I had laying around (hollow core door, some 1xs). I wouldn't stand on it but it's strong enough to hold our computer at least.

Yes, it is in fact a bad picture.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
A while back I converted my kids playroom into an office since I'm full-time WFH. It's nice being out of the basement, and I've been slowly working on getting it finalized. Enjoy the real-world unstaged pics.

Here's what it looked like before:

Here it is as of today after redoing the walls/trim/flooring:

Items of note:
Uplift desk with CPU holder. I built a shelf underneath to hold my UPS, so there is one wire that plugs into the wall and I can easily move my desk if needed (was helpful when I was working on the office).
3x 165hz 1440p monitors (PC), 1x 60hz ultrawide monitor (top) for mac mini.

65" LG C2 OLED is a bit overkill for the small room but oh well.

Small layzboy wall recliner.

I spend a lot of time here and I'm very happy how it turned out.

Future plans may be to get rid of the small desk (it was previously in my son's room) and replace it with something that has more storage. I was considering a harbor freight toolbox to get more drawer storage.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

They are old enough that they can be relegated to the basement. See also:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Triggs posted:

Can you post a picture of your cable management under your Uplift desk? I have a standing desk and I desperately need to buy one of those cable trays or something because my wiring looks like poo poo right now.

I've hidden a lot of the crimes behind the computer. The front and underside look pretty good:

But the back is just chaos. I'm sure I could do a lot better, but meh. The ultrawide and mac mini were newer additions, so they are more barfed into place than usual.

I would highly recommend a cable tray and power strip mounted to the desk. I also like the cable sleeve since I had to mount my computer sideways because of the crossbar, really helps clean the look up.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Triggs posted:

Awesome, thanks for posting that!

What monitor mount is that and do you like it?

This is the triple mount that I have, no real complaints. I'm pretty sure any mount is going to be a bit finnicky to get the initial tension and positioning right, but it seems well built.

This is the tall mount I have. No complaints about this one either.

They do bounce/jiggle slightly for just about any movement happening on the desk other than typing, but I figure that's standard for a sit/stand desk on wheels.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
You can see vaguely in one of the "after" pictures a spot on the ceiling where I took a powered drywall pole sander to it. Worked really well, but it's just an absolute torrent of drywall compound dust everywhere.

Redoing the ceilings was on the list but with everything else pretty well finished I was so over it I decided to not do it. I'd probably consider spraying/scraping it, but I just can't bring myself to thinking about it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
double post

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Crossposting from the office chair thread. I got a new chair as my lower back was starting to really bother me with my previous, temporary seating setup (a tall office task chair stool thing).

So far I like this chair a lot, it's the herman miller logitech embody gaming chair. Virtually the same as the non-gamer embody. This one was in stock and I didn't want to wait much longer for a chair. I paid full MSRP for this on their site until a fellow goon told me to contact support for 20% off and free shipping. They were happy to credit my account. I was even happy at full MSRP!

It's been roughly a week, my lower back is still a little sore, but I think more of a "learning to sit better" way than "ow it hurts standing up" way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

trilobite terror posted:

doing exercises that strengthen your core and back can really help

That's a good point. I haven't done much exercise lately, I've been getting over pnuemonia and have been afraid to do much of anything strenuous. That's my excuse.

In reality, I've been fine for a while and been pretty lazy about getting back to it.