Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Once I get my camera in order I'm goint to post in this thread. I have a desk that has been used by a woman who has had three (or maybe four) comets named after her and it was made by a carpenter. She was a swell person. They say she "didn't talk in eleven languages" but she was like a grandmother to me.

I loved my grand-aunt and once I'm done with being banded (which will hopefully be soon) I will post the desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bet he watches Seinfleld on that TV.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Photex posted:

I just finished a full basement renovation and moved my office down there

I'm the "gently caress I shoulda got more drawers" a few weeks from now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Photex posted:

I've never had a need for drawers so this is actually +3 drawers for me

Where do you keep your milks and other snacks :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Xabi posted:

What kind of computer case is that? I couldn’t find your parts post unfortunately.

Yeah I know it looks like a drum or vase or something, pretty cool.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I work for a European company that has é in the name the company our main software. I was specifically told by marketing to make sure I use the é and not just be lazy and type o. In a Windows keyboard that requires ALT+0233 to enter.

Lmao no it doesn't get a real keyboard :smuggo:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wolrah posted:

$35-50k installed according to https://www.cepro.com/news/coelux_the_40000_fake_skylight_everyone_will_want/

When googling it however I did find a link to this Imgur album with someone's DIY implementation of a similar concept that may be relevant here. https://imgur.com/a/r31Gb

end result:

Not bad for $150ish.

I don't know that I like it. When you're sitting at your computer and hear the cops busting the front door and you eat all your dope and jump out the window but it's a wall. Not a good scenario!

It wasn't even the cops just the pizza guy knocking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I will never trust a person who engages in "cable management" at home.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

You can get these hard plastic sheet things from Ikea/The internet.

But enough about your sleep situation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't know if it's been mentioned ITT but a reminder to people comfortable with using zip-ties (which they should be unless they re-route cables like every week); these things exist:

(I worked in a place where people would regularly use zip-ties all day long and only one person I showed them to had any idea what they were. I guess that's why I found a whole bag in the garbage bin :shrug:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Considering I've had several cleaners and colleagues do their darndest to (unwittingly) tear them off my desk at work I'd say a power strip is fine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dema posted:

I don't know how some of you all can spend most of your day in a cave.

Well you see there are these pretty shadows on the wall.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NicelyNice posted:

Are arms rests supposed to fit under the nesk? I always thought they were supposed to be roughly even with desk level

P.S. Y'all in the US are really supposed for desk choices (and mattresses, while I'm at it) - decent office equipment for consumers is almost non-existent in Japan.

When my dad was looking for a good office chair he just went to a store meant for businesses and bought one. The only catch was all the prices listed were VAT-free. (Not in Japan though.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Knot My President! posted:

After a ton of research I finally found why my screen was blurry with my work laptop-- turns out the laptop thinks it's a TV unless you change the CX's port name to "PC" at which point it is crystal clear. Why tho

Your computer sucks, HTH.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Are you linus torvalds

The post doesn't have sound so could be :tinfoil:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The room is so ugly no-one else wants to go in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Head Bee Guy posted:

i keep banging my loving knee on my cheapo 3M keyboard tray. I plan on replacing the knee-seeking hand crank knob with a nut, but my i still smash my meniscus into the mechanism. Anyone fix this problem without just buying more poo poo?

Hand crank to nut is a natural progression.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the radon.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

.random posted:

I, for one, appreciate unnecessary amounts of Velcro. I’m actually really trying to understand the anatomy of your desk from the under-desk perspective, but I am being defeated. What is the lighter wood situation?

You mean the window frame and the skirting board?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

.random posted:

Ah, no. I meant the triangular shape at the top of the photo. Presumably part of the underside of the desk in some fashion but I’m not sure how.

Looks like a frame for a slide-out keyboard tray.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Got some new keycaps and a wallpaper to match, and a signed mousemat

Your wall seems unpapered :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saukkis posted:

I've had a monitor above the main monitor for a long time and it has been a non-isue. When the top of the main monitor is at eye level, which seems to be the ergonomy recommendation, it takes minimum effort to glance above and if you want to look at it longer it's easy to lean back on the chair. The side monitor is bigger strain on the neck.

/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SamDabbers posted:

I really like your textured wall.

It looks like a 2010s kebab-pizzeria wall.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sarcastx posted:

desktop--- strength... question:

Components:
Ikea "Fredde" desk

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 monitor

Ergotron HX Monitor Arm with HD Pivot for 1000R Curved Monitors Up to 49 Inches

So I have this Ikea desk (had it now for... maybe 8 years?) and while it served me well in the before times, it's coming up short in my new permanent WFH life. I'm going to get a standing desk in the next year or so - but in the meantime I'm hoping to fix some of the issues I've got with my current setup by replacing the stand on my monitor. The stand that comes with the Samsung is inexcusably trash considering what the loving thing cost - it's not particularly stable or adjustable, and takes up a frustrating amount of space where I'd rather put my work-provided laptops.

So I have an Ergotron coming this week, I was thinking of putting it in my Fredde using the "Grommet" method - but rather than using the corner-position grommets already on the desk, I'll just drill a 10mm hole at the rear center of the desk (that's the minimum size grommet hole that the Ergotron can be installed into).

The question is: this is a loving *heavy* monitor (~32lbs/14.5kg) and the Ergotron weighs another ~13lbs/6kg, which seems to me like a lot to ask of the .75" thick particleboard.
The Ergotron manual offers frustratingly little to help on this - but I was thinking of maybe getting a sheet of something to "shore up" the desktop - spread its weight over a larger area.

Thoughts? Should I be concerned about this or am I overthinking poo poo?

I'm the cat shelves.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

that big white carboard thing to fill up the empty space

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doom Mathematic posted:

Any suggestions or things to avoid when it comes to bias lighting for my monitor?

Open flame.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barry posted:

That cat definitely looks like the lights are on but nobody's home. I love her!

Cat: *looks at something*
Some goon: "Oh wow that guy is totally zonked lmao!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

That screen above the stove has gotta be so gross, why would you do that

Why do any of it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I only clean my stove top when someone's coming over because... well it being dirty makes zero difference to anything :unsmigghh: (And it takes like literally a minute because it's a stove.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Three Olives posted:

I bought another screen...

Wait I thought you were loaded. But you can't afford wallpaper?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Suspect A posted:

witness my splendor

I'd rather blaze my glory :smuggo:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dema posted:

Put a good six hours into cleaning and reorganizing my home office yesterday. It was very therapeutic.

I like ur plants.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

well why not posted:

weird thing to bump the thread about, but going back to the first dozen pages is amazing; there's square monitors, polycarb macbooks, all sorts of silver era charm.

It's really amazing how much things have changed in the five years this thread has existed :eyepop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Here's my temporary set-up:

There's a slightly more conventional desk in my vestibule waiting for someone to carry it into this room with me. It's oak and very quite heavy.

(This isn't actually as uncomfortable as I thought. I'm sitting on my sofa and my back hasn't gone yet in the two weeks this has been my desk!)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

down1nit posted:

If you want an adventure to go on, search for a local blacksmith or 'fabrication metalworker' lol.

They could probably cut your arm in half and butt weld in an extra 6 inches. Surprisingly, there's no typo in that last sentence. If they're good and understand the assignment it should take barely any time.

Especially if you supply the 6 inches. That's what she said.

Even if this "mod job" sounds ridiculous to you, which it is in a way, I'd recommend being friends with a metalworker anyway, they are terrifically useful.

They always have terrible taste in beer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Finally got around to moving this thing into place (it's pretty dang heavy). Keepin' it simple:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wistful of Dollars posted:

it's just a laptop; how heavy could it be

Thousands and thousands of kilos.