Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Monitors are a Dell 2001FP and two HP 2335 (very, very old...), laptop is a HP Probook 6550b, which has surprised me by not blowing up yet.

Can't wait to get my LG L245WP fixed (bad psu caps) so I can run 1920x1200 x 3 again.

Speakers are Tannoy Sensys DC1 with bass reinforcement provided by an ancient MTX 12" doubling as a footrest

The CM Stacker to the right is my old fileserver (12x1TB), my regular pc is a P182 under the desk to the left, not shown very well in this picture.

Edit: the desk is an Ikea Galant corner with a 60x80cm extension, using T-legs

Wibla fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Luminous posted:

All of this information that nobody cares about, and you fail to tell us about the one thing we do care about and that this thread is based upon. You have a nice theme going on in that room.

Those monitors seem very far away, also. Do you lean forward a lot?
Sorry, I have edited the post.

Actually, the wide-angle lens along with post processing in DxO makes it look like the monitors are small/far away, but in my experience they're at a decent distance for me, with average eyesight.

CubanRefugee posted:

And almost as bad as asking, "Hey guys, what desk do you recommend?" Of course Luminous has only posted in this thread one other time, so maybe he just doesn't keep up on the thread and hasn't seen the 50 pictures of Galant desks all over the last 10 pages.

Wibla, your set up is awesome. Out of curiosity, did you get the desk extension piece when you bought the whole desk, or did you add it later down the line?

Edit: I'm looking to add the extension, I just don't know how much of a pain in the rear end it is to add after the fact. I'm hoping it's as easy as everything else for the Galants.

I added the extension later, it's a minor pain in the rear end. You need to turn the desk around, so you probably shouldn't do it alone.

NB: when you buy the extension plate, remember to get the extension rail package!

Wibla fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 8, 2011

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Now rocking 3x24" - HP LP2475, LG L245WP, HP LP2465.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

krooj posted:

It feels like a really high quality laptop keyboard. I've got two sitting around collecting dust since I've discovered mechanicals, though.

Anyone here tried the Herman Miller Envelop desk? Right now I have a non-height adjustable wood desk with a keyboard drawer. It's so-so, but I'd be keen to try something more ergo.

That desk looks awesome for ergonomy, I'm a bit sceptical about how it works with a few monitors on there though... What's you current setup? (monitors? speakers on the desk? stuff like that)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Splice in a resistor on the power wire to the LED, voila!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd look at Tannoy Reveal 501A or 601A for pc speakers, and maybe a DAC if you don't have an okay soundcard already.

You can connect active speakers to a surround sound system if your surround amp/reciever has line-level pre-outs.

I'm also inclined to agree with Electric Bugaloo, $750 seems a tad steep.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I got a G400 to test it out compared to my aging MX518, but I never got the sensitivity adjusted right, so it ended up in my laptop bag...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

And then, a little later, you suddenly have 3 monitors, and start looking for 6-monitor stands that aren't poo poo or really expensive...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Living like poo poo :sun:

U2711, U2713hm, U2711.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

E: ^^^^ The keys on that 10key thing have the worst feel, I doubt it'd work well for FPSes, then theres the whole weapon switching thing where having a bigger row of keys above the WASD comes in handy :v:

Moey posted:

Why do you have a full sized keyboard, then what looks like a 10 key usb on the right?

Also mouse + trackpad wrist rest?

Tendonitis and internet spaceships spreadsheets.

I really should swap the keyboard out for a tenkeyless one and get a different wrist rest... but :effort:

Wibla fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 27, 2014

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Still living like poo poo, replaced the 3+1 monitor stand I had with a 2x vertical one because the old one didn't have adjustable arms and the VESA height on U2711s are different from the U2713HM :downs:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The majority of lovely consumer laptops don't come with an SSD, but as soon as you get into the midrange, they atleast have a hybrid drive. All my computers and servers have an SSD (or multiple where needed). It's easily worth it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Holy mother of audio setups. I've used the same Tannoy Sensys DC1/ Pioneer VSX-1015 combo for the last nine years and haven't really felt the need to do anything to it.

Going to swap to an adjustable desk shortly, may have to change things up then, or get stands for the speakers. They're not exactly small.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If the setup sounds good to him, what's the problem?

I run Tannoy Sensys DC1s on my desk (big dual concentric bookshelfs), they sound great to me, but I'm sure they'd sound better on stands, a bit further away than 3 ft.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My next office chair will be fancier, but for now, the ikea markus works fairly well. Any niggling back issues/aches I had before disappeared after I started working out :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

You're all terrible.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Children were the first tv remotes.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Display Fusion is awesome, definitely get it if you run more than one monitor.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Windows and monitors connected via DisplayPort can be tricky/annoying to deal with.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Old audis are fun :D

(But gently caress the new ones)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

How are you guys handling your headphones cables? I got a hook to hang mine under my desk, but my dac (which sits on the desktop since it has the volume control) has the jack output at the front, so the cables run over the desk, and are starting to annoy me.

Get an extension cable?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Dual monitors always look dumb side by side. Either the bezels are set in the middle of your work area at which point you are never not craning your neck like an idiot no matter which one you’re looking at, or you have a “main“ monitor and another big dumb monitor off to one side which looks just as ridiculous. The best way to do dual monitors is to stack them vertically... which is still kind of dumb.

So basically the only proper way to use more than one monitor is to use at least three.

Why not four? :eng101:

(4x27" - pic taken right after I moved into my new apartment, it's more cluttered now :v: )

I lust for an ultrawide setup with two 27"s on top.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Photex posted:

you see like a prime candidate for dual 21:9 monitors stacked

I'm not sure... I'd have to try one 21:9 first and see how much I like it.

But I could get a 34" and then use two 27" vertical or something...

You know how it goes... once you get enough pixels it's hard to let them go.

TenementFunster posted:

wow, those are all cringey desks. really embarrassing poo poo. i assume none of you have women in your lives

I looked at your post history, I'm not sure you're one to talk. About anything :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Theophany posted:

You'll love it. Hth.

I went from PLP 20"/30"/20" (4960x1600) to just a 30" (2560x1600) and now I'm rocking a 38" ultrawide that's 3840x1600. It's hard to let pixels go, it's even harder to accept bezels back.

One of the things I like about 4x27" is that it's fairly easy to divide things across the different monitors - but at the same time I don't run out of pixels (heh) when working on stuff on one monitor. Hard to beat that without going 38" 3840x1600 or similar.

That being said, I don't really use the last few horizontal inches on either of the side monitors (IRC on the right, discord/misc other things on the left), so I'd probably be fine with a 38" :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Upgraded from 4x27" to 2x27" + 43" 4K

This is just after cleaning the desk and setting everything up, the clutter will be back soon :v:

Old setup just after I moved in to this apartment:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Theoretical Cat posted:

I'm no multi-monitor expert so beyond reading legal documents, those vertical monitors seem odd to me. Sweet setup though.

What is your typical usage for those vertical ones ?

Left: Spotify and Discord
Center: "Main content", aka games, surfing, etc etc
Right: Monitoring apps, TS/Mumble, IRC/Jabber

The old 4x27" setup was fine, but I found myself not using the 'outer edges' of the flanking 27"s at all, including the 27" on top, so moving to this setup felt right.

There's also the minor detail that two of the 27"s were U2711 with poo poo AG coating and CCFL backlight that created a lot of heat / used a lot of power. The 43" 4K monitor uses less power than one of the old 27"s it replaced.

That too, but not very often.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

God drat

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

couldcareless posted:

I have an old galant that I got second hand that has the extension. Is it possible to remove the old top and replace it with something nicer? I've never dug much into this possibility but the cheap black top on it now is showing its age.

Go look underneath the desk, doesn't take a lot of engineering skills to figure out how to fasten a new top/plate to the existing legs/frame.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

concise posted:

Dust intake is far worse when a tower is on the ground.

This is why we have filters and regularly clean our homes.

Stop living like poo poo :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sininu posted:

Anyone with dual monitors and desktop speakers? I just bought a new 27 inch display and it and the old one take up so much space even on monitor arm I can't figure out if it's even possible to have a nice speaker setup now.

27" + 43" + 27" in PLP config, no issues with speakers. Do you have room for a bigger desk, or speaker stands?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What surface dock/stand do you have there?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KingEup posted:

I have a mouse on either side, I kid you not. A trackball on the left and regular mouse on the right.

Got carpal tunnel syndrome?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KingEup posted:

No, but I definitely don’t want it so I spent 2 weeks learning how to use a trackball with my left arm for work and all general pc use. I now only use my right arm for gaming.

Lifting heavy things and putting them back down again combined with some stretching exercises will immunize your arms from poo poo like tendinitis.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

stuxracer posted:

Weight lifting can be a cause of tendinitis not a cure. Maybe you’re joking.

Not joking. Our bodies are not made for sitting in front of a computer all day, some physical activity is needed. Being in reasonable shape with decent (core) strength keeps most of the usual ailments from office work at bay.

nem posted:

Only if you're doing it wrong or not cycling after several weeks. Our muscles hate routine.

Basically this.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I want one of those smaller soundbars for work, but they're rarer than hen's teeth here :smith:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just get some good computer speakers or a a single stereo unit? I'd recommend the Audioengine B2.

Asymmetric setup, and I don't want to spend too much at this point :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Koskun posted:

200 bucks for a speaker? That seems a little much.

:psyduck:

My PC speaker setup at home is easily north of $1000, but for work I just need something marginally better than built-in monitor speakers since I can't crank it much anyways.

Budgie posted:

This is the soundbar I have. It's not really that small, but the sound quality is way better than every lovely USB soundbar I tried and sent back. It's plenty loud for the flat I live in now. I miss being in a house where I could use my 5.1 system at a decent volume.

This really fits the bill, but of course I can't get it in :norway: ... might have to bribe my cousin into bringing one with her the next time she flies home, heh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I would get something like an Anker soundcore bluetooth speaker then. I have one that I really like. It'll fill a quiet lab with music at a decent level. Doesn't sound like you need battery power but there aren't really better alternatives these days that come in a single bar form factor like that that aren't bigger soundbars for use with TVs or cost more than you want to spend. At $30-40, if you keep it plugged in will you notice it has a battery?

If you wanted to go with 2.0 or 2.1 speakers you'd have a lot more options but you say you want a soundbar...

Hey, that might fit the bill perfectly :toot:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

devmd01 posted:

Made some adjustments to the desk I built for basement WFH, pretty happy with the arrangement now. I also added a footrest bar in the back, I like kicking up my feet.

How's that plague inc playthrough going for you there? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's not too late to build one :v: