Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Postal posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who has used that table as a desk. It worked pretty well, but it was a little wobbly at times.

Yea it's pretty great, I wouldn't stand on it though.

Instant Stalker posted:

Is that a Samsonite table? Those are awesome and durable... and cheap. I just purchase two 4' versions of that to join my existing 6' table for a dual desk setup.

edit: nevermind, I see now that it's a foldable table. I thought about purchasing that but it's not as durable and .. I don't like big gaping canyons in the middle of my surfaces. Looks like that table is this one. How much did you pay for yours though? Yesterday I saw a similar one, except it was 5', in Academy for 40 bux.

I got it at wal-mart a few years ago for like $30.
The folding action is awesome, I can hold it under one arm.

Centipeed posted:

Do all of those wires need to be on the desk? I mean, are they too short to fall behind it or something?

If there's some rational explanation, then sure, but I don't understand how anyone could deal with that.

There's so much space it just doesn't matter.
I swap computers out all the time, it takes like 30 seconds.
Screw climbing up all underneath the thing to swap some poo poo out.
I feel like I pretty much outdid everyone in the thread with my awesome setup.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was debating posting this since it's not done, but I got so mad at Centipeed for making fun of my setup...

paradigmm posted:

Centipeed posted:

Do all of those wires need to be on the desk? I mean, are they too short to fall behind it or something?

If there's some rational explanation, then sure, but I don't understand how anyone could deal with that.

Ikea Galant corner desk with a few extensions:

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

Some cheap Home Depot poo poo:

Click here for the full 972x1296 image.

These are the best Ikea cable hiders (of 3 types):

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

Rotating plug surge protector:

Click here for the full 972x1296 image.

Still to do:
- wall mount the TV
- wireless keyboard/mouse
- chair roll mat
- tuck speaker wires behind table leg lol
- replace hosed up wall plates
- paint white metal rack pieces wall color?

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jackpot posted:

2) My Ripper XL huge-rear end mousepad, 14x18. On dual screens in Photoshop it's easy to run out of mousepad, so I went for the biggest one I could find. I know there's a Dilbert cartoon in there somewhere (found it), I don't care. This thing's badass.

Wow awesome, how long have you had this and does it hold up well? Have a link anywhere to get it for more like $10? I have had an oversized white cloth mousepad forever and the thing is loving disgustingly dirty.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robolizard! posted:

Mine gets a lot of dust and stuff on it (even when I am in another building without a dust problem. I can wipe some off, but keep a lint roller on my desk just in case.

edit: correction, I have the XXL - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826991001&cm_re=XTRAC_PADS_RIPPER-_-26-991-001-_-Product

36x18

I got the XL not realizing there was the XXL, but it truly is XL!! Will it get fuzzy like a cloth mousepad would? Really great mousepad.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LunaSky posted:

To the fellow Goons that have the Galant desk from IKEA: Did the boxes they were in fit in your vehicle easily? I dont want to drive an hour and a half each way for a desk that wont fit in my PT Cruiser. Thanks!

Will post pics when I quit living like poo poo!

The desk is split into pieces so you will get many boxes. The desktop will be in a rather slim box, but the desk itself is loving huge. I can't imagine it fitting in a PT cruiser. Go to their website and it will tell you the packing dimensions I think.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tab8715 posted:

Have any Galant Owners used this? Summera Computer Holder.

I'd be down with it, but it seems a little flimsy? Thanks.

It's somewhat flimsy but works great, I'm glad I got one.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

samo posted:

I bought the large Galant Desk a while ago and I would like to curve it around the room. Do they sell a desk that has a short 31" depth on the side that meets up to the desk and a long 23" depth on the other?

Sort of, look into the galant corner desk pieces. It will have one side that has less depth than the other, so you have to pay close attention to how you want it arranged. Then you can add an extension to the corner piece if you want to extend its length in a certain direction, there are extensions for either end, but again they have 2 different depths. I imagine that it will fit up to your rectangle desk no problem.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sentinel82 posted:

I'm looking to replace my desk and from what I've seen from everyone, the Galant is the way to go. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Corner desk left - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19836967/
Adding an extension right - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39843759/
I'm also looking at adding the shelf, cable management, and the computer holder.

I've got a couple of questions for those with more Galant experience than myself. First off, will that extension work on that desk? Based on the measurements listed on the site, they don't match. But, is the depth measurement for the desk the total depth, including the section on the left? Is the right side of the desk actually 31.5" deep (same size as the extension), or 47.25"

Also, are the cable management and computer holder extras worth a drat? They're only about $23 for both, so I'm curious if they're decent at all.

Honestly, go to Ikea and get them to help you figure out how to arrange the Galant extensions. They have a computer station you can use to mix and match the pieces, it's like a little designer program. For the corner desks, one side is deeper than the other, and they have one extension that can be rotated to fit either side. Then they have I think 2 different end pieces which are rounded, or half round (1 corner), but they only fit on one side or the other because of the different depths.

The cable/computer holders are pretty good. They also make a filing cabinet which fits under the desk and matches perfect. I posted my setup many pages back, and have the Galant corner, 3 extensions, computer holder, cable holders, and the filing cabinet. It's all very strong and has held together fine for the couple years I've owned it.

paradigmm fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
:clint: dat CRT, for the price of 4 of those Wii games you could have gotten a nice 24" LCD widescreen with HDMI input for the xbox.

Panthrax posted:

In a couple weeks I'm going to be working from home full time, so I need a new desk and chair. I'd like to get a nice big Galant, but since Cleveland doesn't have an Ikea within 2 hours, it's pretty slim pickins. I guess I could check out Home Depot or something for a counter top and some file cabinets, but I'd rather just get something already put together. Anyone do the whole counter top thing?

Best desk I've ever owned before I bought a Galant was a $30 folding utility table from Kmart, and it's still useful after you replace it.

paradigmm fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 2, 2012