Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Erkenntnis posted:

What kind of lamp/bulb does it take to recreate that kind of lighting? I'm tired of bright white lights in my room.

I get a similar effect with a very low power (~6w) fluorescent "warm white" bulb. "Cool white" gives awful white light. If you're not doing any colour-sensitve work, F.lux will "warm" your monitor at night so it's not a huge blue/white light source in your room http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Coredump posted:

Wait, why is white light awful? Its closer to the color of natural sunlight than the color we've gotten used to from incandescent lights.

Oops, yeah. Bluer light is fine during the daytime. At night, I prefer redder light because as GreatGreen says, it's significantly easier on the eyes (and my eyes have a poo poo time going from light environments to dark environments, so subdues redder light makes sense at night).

Kegwen, those paper lamps look awesome, where did you get them? I used to use a little round paper desk lamp behind my monitor as a sort of ghetto bias lighting setup. The paper diffuses the light well enough to prevent brighter spots, and a tall lamp like that laying sideways behind my monitors would be awesome.

My current setup:

I'm planning to build a shelf to go where the flag is. That, or get some old band flyers and stick them up. It's only there because there was a bookshelf screwed into the wall where my desk is now, and the wall behind it is kind of unpleasant with screw holes, tape marks etc. It was that or a tatty dragon poster from when I was 13 or a bedsheet or something.

I need to find somewhere better for the router and modem to go too, but that's where they have to stay for now. The shelf is fixed to the wall, so I can't get the cables behind it without moving it, and that's a huge pain in the arse. I can't put the router behind my monitor because if it sits any lower, the rest of the house doesn't get signal. A shelf behind the monitors and on top of the desk is probably the best solution.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 4, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Juriko posted:

That is exactly what it is.

Yep, I have a few coffee tables and stuff that are made like that. They're fine, but you'd want to be careful about standing on them. Also, you'll find it difficult or impossible to modify.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Google Butt posted:

So I made a desk out of a re-claimed butcher's block and 3/4" black pipe. I might strip it and stain it again at some point, but I like the rough look.

This thing is a BEAST! No wobble at all.

..please respect the Dell QuietKey :D

edit: If anyone wants info about how the legs are made, let me know. It's a really simple project, I figure the legs can be adapted to any sort of top.

If you could show how the legs were made, that'd be awesome. I want to do something similar to that, but I can't picture how the legs attach to the top.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

:doh:

Thanks. Of course.