Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Here's my desk.

View to show cleanliness of cables:

Cable mounting solution:

Two computers on the left correspond to the monitors (left one is left monitor, right one is right monitor). The one on the far right is a simple fileserver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

majesticonion posted:

Whats that giant cable going into your router?

Oh you don't have that Internet yet. MegaInternet? Only one other person in the world has it and his name happens to be Bruce Willis.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

balgaines posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I got me a new big rear end monitor the other day and finally got everything set up like I wanted it.

Is that desk made out of formica? What era is that from?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Do you really need an entire monitor exclusively dedicated to Spybot S&D

He probably just has the application open on that monitor. Jeez.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

skipdogg posted:

You win.. Dear god, what are you the poster child of all goons?

I think you should look back a few pages at Kommunist Kommand Kenter.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

christrot posted:

why do you have a side window and blue light

Why does it matter?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

pik_d posted:

So how big is the file when you press print screen?

Almost positive that's more than one computer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What's with you guys labeling every little thing on your desk?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ashex posted:

See the OP

Yeah I see it. I guess if it's supposed to be mocking the OP or something it doesn't really strike me as all that funny six pages later.

But you know goons. :regd08:

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 12, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Be a nice guy and use a coaster.

Don't want any rings on your genuine ikea furniture.

*has a coaster on his ikea desk*

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

mantaworks posted:

Clicky keyboard, dell monitor, ibm laptop, some assorted audiophile poo poo; your desk is surprisingly clean for being such a goon.

God drat shut up

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

pik_d posted:

Why won't any of you "5 pieces of wood" people answer the question? :(

Hint: You're pretty loving dense

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Bucket Joneses posted:

Here's my desk.

View to show cleanliness of cables:

Cable mounting solution:

Two computers on the left correspond to the monitors (left one is left monitor, right one is right monitor). The one on the far right is a simple fileserver.

I got some new monitors and some speakers (tired of headphones). Also picked up a printer (finally) and a new keyboard and mouse.

Basically the same poo poo as before but new output and input devices.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mugmoor posted:

Sup case buddy? Sportin' the Ultra Aluminus I see :).

Do you not have a table for the printer though? It seems weird to leave it on the floor like that.

Well I just bought the printer the other day so that's where it sits.

My girlfriend and I are (hopefully) about to move into our first house (pending inspection and all that) so I'm not buying any furniture until I know what works and what doesn't.

Basically I'm going to get a new desk soon and put all three computers and the printer on some sort of metal cart next to it. That's the plan at least.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zurich posted:

Hey Mikael buddy, sweet setup :)

Any chance of more info on the cable management? How does the pegboard attach to the base? I'm crap at things like this :(

If you look at this photo you can see that all I did was buy some eyelet screws and drill holes in the desk. The round part of the screw is what stops the board from falling down.

CheeseDog posted:

any chance of a link on the keyboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823227002

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Wang Commander posted:

It's obvious from the whole thing how long it's been since I've had time, money, or inclination for gaming.

Click here for the full 1600x1240 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1067 image.

I made that realization looking at the pictures after I took them for the thread. Also my unadorned cement walls and linoleum floor. Oh well, someday I'll have a few coins to rub together and get some more monitors.

Just keep drinking that sweet sweet Tecate and life will always be good.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

SH/SC: Masturbation clean-up techniques

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Phillyt posted:

Why do you work guys hang up those stupid certificate things??

Pleases management.

I just spent about an hour cleaning up my cube space today. I'll try to get a photo up on Monday.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Here is my work space. I'm still working out my monitor situation so that's why there are two LCD panels just hanging out there.

Monitor on the far left drives an Xbox360 and a PS3 hooked up to a HDMI switchbox in the shelving unit above. Audio for those go into the headphone amp. The monitor in the middle is for my work desktop machine that will hopefully soon be able to drive dual monitors. The monitor on the far right is for my test machines that are hooked up to the KVM.

I also re-floored my cubicle with laminate flooring because the material was really cheap and the carpet in this cubicle is disgustingly dirty. Now I just need a new chair.

http://www.iamserio.us/files/cube/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I work at Real Networks in software qa. And if I had OCD then the cables wouldn't be as half-assed as they are.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Dumpsterj posted:

ya know i might !!! in my hallway closet is the boxes from every component of my last build , any kind of boxes i can put the part back in for resale , i keep too. I guess it is kinda compulsive. Boxes are one of those few things that are given away for free all the time but a PITA to come by if you need them in a hurry. I <3 BOXES

This is not normal.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I got a cart for my computers and now my desk looks pretty sleek.

http://www.iamserio.us/files/desk3

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Siroc posted:

Where do you get a cart like that in the US? That looks pretty amazing for my needs.

It was in the apartment when we moved in so I couldn't say. I'll take a look at it when I get home tonight and see if there is a brand name or model # on it anywhere.

I wish it was wide enough that I could put all three of the towers on the bottom rack. As it is, though, it's a pretty sturdy cart that works wonderfully for holding all of my equipment.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I got sick of my Ikea desk so I went to a local hardwood supplier and bought a 25"x72" maple desktop slab and put it on top of two maple filing cabinets I bought a while back.

The result is a desk finally large enough to accommodate four screens at one time and is made of solid wood throughout:

https://wi.somethingawful.com/e8/e89b174e15620ec887888e5b2f4ce6fb5142e526.jpg

I still have to change out the stock hardware on the cabinets and put the monitors on mounts (two of these). The first 22" monitor is hooked up to an HDMI switchbox so I can swap between the PC (which usually runs XBMC) and an Xbox360 I'm getting soon.

Each cabinet has a frame into which I can slide a piece of pegboard. I zip-tied my networking equipment, power strips, power bricks, and everything else to the pegboard. Most of the cabling runs behind the pegboard.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

gregday posted:

It was just a shame to not use the LCD, keyboard, and speakers more, so thanks thread!

Why not put the fileserver on the floor so you're not taking up desk space with a huge box? It'll also look a lot cleaner.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Alright here is the last photo I'm going to submit of my desk. I finally mounted the monitors on stands so it's a perfect wall of display.

Having an entire monitor for uTorrent and SABnzbd and then another entire monitor for irssi is pretty nice. I mostly use the left 22" for poker and XBMC and the right 22" is for browsing and email and foobar.

I have a Dreamcast that I want to hook up to a monitor but I'm waiting on an order from Monoprice before I hook it up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just rewired my desk so it's no longer giving me a headache to look at it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Some OCZ thing I got off Newegg.

This is it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823227002

Be aware, the key layout is a little funky. It has a tiny left-shift button which is annoying.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Fists Up posted:

Also in relation to why this discussion started?

Is there a problem with me hooking my headphones over the corner of the bookcase?

They pretty much rest on the same spot as if i had them on a big hook. Except they might fall...

I think that's the concern. That they'll fall if the bass gets too loud or if Goofus runs into it while he's looking for some plastic wrap to use as a condom or any number of things that might cause your shelf to shake.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If I may interrupt the AD circlejerk of loneliness that's going on right now...

http://lifehacker.com/5163142/custom-wire-management-for-multi+monitor-bliss

Yeah. That's my desk. I did that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Siroc posted:

Where would you get that cart rack to the right of those monitors with the 360 on it? I've been looking for something like that for a while.

Honestly everyone asks me but I don't know where it was purchased. We inherited this apartment from a friend and she left it here.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

http://www.target.com/dp/B000063SI0...28&pf_rd_t=5101

To add some content I really love your fixie. :)

Ha, thanks.

And w/r/t the target.com link: that is not as big as what I'm using. I actually bought that exact same cart hoping I could use it for my computers but it's not as strong or large as the one I'm using. So I just took the one I bought and swapped it with this one that was in the bathroom.

I really wish I knew where to get another one, to be honest.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I just moved into a new apartment a few weeks ago and finally got my desk set up (had to order some DVI cables after some were lost in the move).

Cut it down from four monitors to two. Computers and printer are in the closet.

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's a print I got from You Work For Them.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Crush posted:

What desk is that if you don't mind me asking.

It's two solid maple filing cabinets I bought at a local furniture store and a solid maple countertop I bought at a local hardwood supplier. I just laid the top on the cabinets and put 2" rubber feet on top of the cabinets so it wouldn't slide.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mathturbator posted:

No offense, but I think the problem is your blinds, not your desk. They convey a shut-in vibe, sort of like blinding all the windows with bedsheets. Let in some light!

Those photos look like they were taken at night. I don't know where this guy lives but most people who live in city suburbs close their blinds when it gets dark.

This photo is just blurry because your iphone is trying to focus on the door jamb (the wood on the left) and not the actual room.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 7, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Juriko posted:

What made you decide to pay out the extra for a mac mini instead of just getting a newer hackintosh.

minis are cheap dude.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My desk is one of the ones listed in that Lifehacker round up but I doubt it's going to win given that my desk does not reside in the middle of the forest. If you wanted to vote for it, though, it's the 8th option in the ballot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

evale posted:

I haven't looked back since I used gaffer tape to tie my cables together and to the desk. It was meant to be a quick fix, but don't really see a reason to upgrade to cable ties or Velcro.

Just hope wherever the cables are doesn't get too hot. Even though gaffer's tape is pretty reliable for not leaving residue, once it gets heated up that all goes out the window.

e: what he said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

rubbersoul posted:

I really really wish Apple would farm out their magsafe adapter for this reason alone, I hate how laptops become worthless as soon as their lovely power cord becomes loose from the board.

Also to glorify Apple a little bit more, why in the flying gently caress doesn't Windows let you just assign global media keys to your f1-f12 keys, having my media player controls right there and instantaneous is one of the many reasons I think Apple does laptops just right.

Depending on your media player, this is already possible.