Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ColdPie posted:

From a month or so ago

I'm not sure what's worse, having diabetes or using an ergonomic keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
To contribute:

That bag all the way to the right is filled with Model M keyboard keys. I got bored one day.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Arsten posted:

Hey, it's a check-fraud person. Anyone else worried about the giant STACK of checkbook boxes in the corner by the unused towers?

I saw the lancets and glucose tabs and worried about diabetes.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

atomic johnson posted:

All Velcro'ed up under the desk...

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

That's beautiful. I end up saving the twist ties from loaves of bread for tidying up cables behind my entertainment center but that only goes so far... They need to teach a cabling class at my school or something.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Niwrad posted:

I noticed a lot of you have been going with the Galant from Ikea as your desk of choice. Curious why no one chooses the Vika? From the looks of it, it's the same dimensions and actually cheaper. The options for legs are not as diverse, but it seems like a nice way to save a few bucks.

Am I missing something between the two? I've had a Vika for a few years now and love it. It's starting to fade though and was going to pick up a new one. But wondering if I'm missing something by not getting the Galant.

I have a Vika and love it. I think the reason might feel it's "shoddy" is because the tabletop is pretty light compared to a solid piece of wood. I really feel like my Vika desk is going to last forever and it shouldn't be overlooked for those looking for a cheaper alternative to the Galant especially if they don't need all that room. I have 2 monitors, small desk speakers, and a lamp all sitting on mine with plenty of room for keyboard, mouse, wallet, keys, phone, folders, etc.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

HKR posted:

I literally cannot comprehend how people can say Ikea furniture is hard to put together. Hard to keep whole after several disassembles/reassembles sure, but hard to put together initially? I don't get it.

Pictures are hard man.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Wonder_Bread posted:

When we remodeled our office, we covered 7 walls with this stuff. Not only was it stupidly expensive, the painters had to redo most of the walls a few times 'cause it is an utter bitch to apply right (got lots of rough surfaces, paint would peel off (especially at the edges), and lots of weird imperfections that looked like hairs got stuck in while the paint was drying.

Hairs are probably the roller fibers.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

NonzeroCircle posted:

I only installed them yesterday (and they were £6 so not breaking the bank here), if you balance the brightness of them against monitor brightness so they are about the same i found it less eye straining, and i normally have a soft lamp on in the room too so its not the only light source.

Its less overpowering when theres other light sources on the go.

There's more neutral colours on the strip i have that I'll try out, blue was for the pic. Its not gonna be on all the time anyway.

I tend to play guitar by my pc so its quite nice 'mood lighting' too. Its not to everyones taste (and i have very little taste) but I'm happy with it.

Good luck falling asleep at night with a blue tint on the wall.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Lord knows power switches are still decades away from being widely distributed.

Also: many people have multiple rooms in their house or apartment. If you live in a filing cabinet maybe your concern is valid.

No, blue light fucks with your body's natural "it's sleepy time" mechanic. I run a tool called f.lux on my PC so that it tints the screen after dusk so that I start getting sleepy at an appropriate time instead of getting off the computer at 2am and not being able to fall asleep in a reasonable time.

https://justgetflux.com/research.html

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
fwiw, I found myself getting sleepy at night after starting to use it years ago. Before that, I would just stay up programming and then try to force myself to go to sleep at 2am and end up sitting in bed waiting to get tired. Even if it's a placebo thing, I still use it. It's free and worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Welp, it looks like I've been bamboozled by a product that has helped me just like it said it would. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯