Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
This is my temporary setup before I go back to school:

It's kinda funny, now that I have my Macbook Pro, the PC on the bottom there isn't even hooked up to anything. I need to find a use for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
This is the best way to go for cable management. Big roll of velcro, cut it to fit, reusable, etc.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

Home for winter break, living like poo poo.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

Just moved into a new apartment with a new desk, so I tried to do the wiring right:

I guess I could put the powerstrip under the desk too, but I'm not 100% set on the setup just yet. Need a new laptop stand, too.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

para posted:

This may have been mentioned before, but what desk is that?
IKEA Galant.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

tehk posted:

Anyway I have run out of room again. I need a office with 10 desk or something. The new thunderbolt era MBP should sit up on the stand instead of my Maschine but I don't trust that poo poo. I should hack a hutch onto the desk to hold the Macbook.
You know, if you just stopped buying machines you wouldn't have this problem :P

Content: replaced MacBook Pro with a PC and another Linux box. Will probably buy a MBA at some point:

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

glompix posted:

Wow hey, same desk and PC/trash placement! We are unique snowflakes I'm sure.

I've got a sweet view of a lake at roughly the same position but you don't want that poo poo open during the day and opening/closing the blinds every 12 hours is :effort:.

e: also, try this. Cheap and easy. Just jam the bracers in between the frame and desktop and enjoy swinging your legs around without hitting cables.
Yeah, that's the reasons I keep the blinds partly closed: during the day it's too bright to have them open, and I'm too lazy to open them at night :effort:

And yeah, I have the wire cage cable organizer screwed on under the desk, but I've added/changed my setup a lot since I moved in and built everything, and I was too lazy to recable it all since it looks pretty clean mostly.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

Redid my cabling, re-positioned some stuff, cleaned the desktop:

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

Zorilla posted:

I'm guessing there's no way you got the mouse and keyboard to reach that far without USB extension cables.
The monitors have USB hubs built-in, thankfully.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

glompix posted:

Your keyboard is dope. I hope to put one of those on my black, L-shaped Galant as well soon.

Could you get a picture under the desk looking up? I'm curious to see how you did your power. I just have my power strip laying in the cable tray. :( It looks like you did something much fancier.
Yeah, Filco supremacy. Anyways, most power strips have mounting holes on the back so you can snap it onto some screws; I just marked the holes with a pencil and drilled some short wood screws into the desk then mounted the power strips:

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

Installed a dual-arm monitor mount from Monoprice and cleaned things up a bit:

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

Autolyze posted:

I've been on a pretty serious mechanical keyboard kick lately. Going clockwise from the freakishly orange beauty at the top, the pictured keyboards are: Realforce 87UB with 45g weighted keys, Leopold tenkeyless with red switches, Leopold tenkeyless with blue switches, Filco Tenkeyless Ninja Tactile Action Majestouch-2 (I kind of dig the full name for that one).
Jesus, that 87UB with those caps cost you, what, $500? Was it worth it? I want one so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

Upgraded a bit: