Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Vintersorg posted:

Weird chair, looks confining.

I had one a few years ago and the chair is pretty comfy, but you can't really lounge in it. However, the cover didn't last a year and you can't exchange it unlike most cloth-based covers Ikea sells. Otherwise it's a very sturdy chair, but the cover ruins it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Bottom Liner posted:

Only on SA are anime rooms tolerated and appreciated but Apple fanboys are considered the scum of society :v:

Making your room a shrine to some form of content seems a bit more rational than making it into a shrine for the content delivery system though.
But then people have similar shrines for their chosen car manufacturer, gun maker or snowboard company, so who really cares. Better than making your home into a temple for Patrick Bateman.
But the picture would have been a lot better if under all the Apple paraphernalia some crappy old Acer laptop and a Walmart PC was rotting away.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

spookygonk posted:

That's great. Can a single ultrawide monitor like that host two video feeds from two sources? I have a PC and a Mac Pro so am using two monitors. Would be nice to switch to a single screen, but there are times when I'm working on both machines at once.

Some can (like my LG). It's the equivalent of two 16" 5:4 screens however, you lose quite a bit of space compared to two 2560x1440 or even 1920x1080 screens. Personally it was too much loss for me and I use a 3440x1440 screen as main and a 2560x1440 (actually a 4k monitor with Windows scaling set at 1.5 which is basically this) as secondary, which is the best of both worlds if you have the space. A separate screen somehow makes stuff I put there also feel more separate than stuff I put next to the main window on the main screen, but I might be odd in this regard.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 13, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

GreatGreen posted:

I'm curious about this. I know curved monitors suck for being TVs in rooms where more than one person watches at a time, but do they really suck as computer monitors, where one person is in the ideal viewing position all the time?

No, it works great (unless you regularly draw straight lines), you sit in the sweet spot and near enough that is actually beneficial and not a stupid, adverse gimmick like with TVs.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ufarn posted:

I got myself an IKEA Bekant with a nominal cable net, but turns out there's literally no space left due to the supporting beam and the elevation PSU.

I am firmly against drilling when it comes to cable management, so what's the best way to mount or fit my power sockets to the desk in a way that allows me to keep adding and removing plugs as well as the sockets themselves?

I was thinking about some hard tape, but I don't know whether that sort will tear off half my table with it when I peel it off.

I'm sure they're some neat, obscure things to buy, but they'll have to be available from Amazon.co.uk or somewhere else that ships within EU.

All tapes and double sided glue pads have been either too weak or didn't work with stuff that gets warm and weakens the glue for me. Some screws on the underside and tent repair elastic band between them to bind stuff up in combination with cable clips worked best for me for tucking all the power strips, power bricks and cables to the underside of my Galant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/eBoot-Piec...V6CTGA193KRM8BQ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meters-ELA...nt+pole+elastic

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 10, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The biggest segment of keyboard nerds are usually programmers

The coloured WASD keys (ESDF for life) kinda hint that this keyboard might be used for different purposes at times.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Oxyclean posted:

What are you guys doing with regards to ergonomics?

Bit the bullet and paid 600 € for a Steelcase Please as main way to deal with it for me. Putting my monitors on movable arms helped a lot too. A fitting mouse took care of any carpal syndrome issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Violator posted:

I’m pretty sure they announced through the press that they’ll be releasing a new monitor when they release the new Mac Pro sometime this year since the LG’s has so many issues.

It's not because it has (had) issues, the 5k LG was always only meant as a stopgap until they "make" a new one (or they instead of LG print their name on what Foxconn produces, since the panels are LG's regardless) for the redesigned Mac Pros that are supposed to be released sometime in the next 12 months.