Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Centipeed posted:

I wanted screenshots because I thought it looks silly, but that's mainly because I also thought it looked that way all the time. Then I remembered that there's a screensaver for Windows which sets everything on fire.

Hah yah, it is just a screensaver. I mostly have it because I can time how long I've been wasting time NOT working by the screensaver and powersave kicking in. When my desktop is on fire its a big "hey you lazy rear end you need to be working."

Also the red glow combined with the displays makes me feel like I'm in Hackers, and I love hackers.

wiru posted:

It's a 'slot' that's bolted to the table. that holds the tower. ikea did those and afaik still do.

Actually it is a pair of racketing straps (you can see the ratchets) and some slotted U shaped steel pieces from home depot. I didn't like the ikea desktop holders because they were a tad flimsy. Also, that is actually a desktop chassis on its side, and much smaller than a normal desktop. I actually move the desk around a lot so I wanted the case to have as much of a deathgrip on the desk as it could.

My favorite part is I use those Ikea magnetic spice holders to hold postits and batteries and stuff, and they are stuck on the case. You can tell who has been ingrained with magnets=computer death by their reaction to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I am jealous of all you Seattle bastards with a view from inside, I have to leave the house for that crap.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Yes you can raise it. The Design is pretty simple, the leg of the table has a V shaped wedge cut out that the screw wedges in. To raise the desk just loosen the screw a bit, pull up, then tighten it.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I feel that way about almost every place I have ever lived. I am sick of carpet.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

caberham posted:

I actually live in a shoebox but at least the view is nice. It's a bit bright and extremely hot today.

Don't feel bad. I still basically live in a shoe box. My workstation is in my bedroom, and I work at home a whole lot, so despite having a living room I spend the vast majority of my time in my tiny 10x9 bedroom. Hell even my living room is tiny. I would love more space but moving is hard and really not worth it right now. Space is overrated.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Have any Galant Owners used this? Summera Computer Holder.

I'd be down with it, but it seems a little flimsy? Thanks.

It is a bit flimsy. If you really want something built you can find any number of computer holders that will screw into the desk or clamp on, but they will cost you a lot more.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Probably because they are a lot cooler than the Gawker media people who for the most part should be put in the stocks and publicly shamed.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Edward IV posted:

Just wondering, how well built are the Galant series?

I've heard references of Ikea products being cheap Swedish crap. However, my friend just brought up how Ikea's business model is environmentally unsustainable and how it encourages consumers to buy and then later discard their products when they get bored of it or it breaks. (Not that I'll get rid of it when I'm bored since I'm looking for practical furniture and my current desk is messy to use.)

Ikea sells a range of products, some of it horrible some of it great. The Galant is great. You also pay for that greatness. Their kitchen cabinetry is also a great deal. The carcasses are is still particle board but so is everything within 200 dollars of it, and their stuff is built just as well and cheaper with more options. You can tell what is going to last when you are shopping at ikea just from how it is held together.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Ikea is pretty decent environmentally and certainly they at least try harder than generic cheap furniture manufacturers at Target or WalMart, but it's naturally worse than buying a nicer "real" piece of furniture from a local furniture maker.

The big problem with "real" furniture is how little of it is made in Ikeas style. The couch I plan on getting is a modern piece built in the USA, but it is from a company that does build to order stuff and will cost me a small fortune. That seems to be the story behind most modern styled furniture. I can find dozens of places that sell local stuff here, but none of them do Ikea's kind of styling.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

thrawn86 posted:

do they really start falling apart after breaking it down once or twice? modularity (was) a big reason I was looking at getting mostly an entire set of furniture there. I move around a lot.

Depends on the furniture and quite honestly it is apparent what will and wont fall apart from the hardware involved. It isn't an Ikea thing though, any bookshelf or piece of furniture in a similar range has pretty much identical construction.

The desks are all steel frames though so short of managing to strip out the connecting threads you shouldn't have tear down issues.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ProtoKaiser posted:

My work desk, it's absolutely horrible right now with dust and post-its. But Cobra Commander has my back, so that's reassuring.

I'm looking for a new home desk though, but I'm not a fan of the Galant (I want something with drawers). Any other suggestions?

Do you want a bank of drawers or just some storage? The galant has a drawer option.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Spike McAwesome posted:

- I worry that by putting it in the living room (red arrow), it'll take up too much space in the room and make some of the breakfast bar unusable.
- But I don't really want to put it in the bedroom (blue arrow) since that seems too teenager-living-at-home to me.

If it sits large in your living room and you have people over regularly I would put it in your bedroom. Living room space is precious, in my opinion, and having a big desk eats up your space, and is a bit of a distraction.

Most people I know with workstations living in apartments either have them in their bedrooms or in their dining nook assuming they are not lucky enough to have space for an office. In reality most people now just don't ave them, they have a laptop, so it isn't really an issue for them.

If you have a big master bedroom, which it seems you do, put it in there. I mean, what else are you going to use all that space for? Your living room looks to be the same size as your master, so your going to just have a bed in your master bedroom, and cram all your stuff in the living room?

Who cares if it looks to "teenager living at home?" If all it takes is a desk in your bedroom to make people think that, then the desk is probably the least of your problems. This also might be the big city dweller in me who is used to having to cram an entire living situation into a bedroom of their shared flat.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Seriously, my living room is my adult space where I entertain guests, do dinner parties and movie nights etc. The only people who go into my bedroom are close friends and people I am going to sleep with, and if they saw my room, saw a desk, and went "on second thought" I would physically remove them from my house myself.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Misogynist posted:

If you look around your area, you'll probably find a number of office furniture stores that deal in built-to-specification MDF hardware. We went with one for the computer desk I have at home and are pretty much completely happy with it. It's built like a rock compared to typical Sauder or Bush poo poo, but we didn't spend $1500 on it either and we got exactly what we wanted.

I have to say, while custom furniture isn't going to be cheap like a 150 dollar desk, it is way more affordable than most people realize. We have a local group that does semi custom couches. You choose a length, depth, basic features, any fabric, and they will build it. A fully custom, rock solid couch from them is ~1600 dollars. While that seems like a lot it is actually less than half the cost of a couch of any remotely similar design. Think Restoration hardware but better quality and half the price. It will also last you way longer than any cheap 800 dollar couch and look better doing it. I found another company that has less options and simpler builds that starts at around 1000 bucks.

A local guy here does made to order dressers, with deco detailing. A huge heirloom quality dresser is around 2500. This is extremely nice woodworking, you can't even find something remotely similar in a normal furniture store.

So if you have your heart set on a desk of a particular style do not be afraid to look up cabinetmakers and carpenters in the area. I know sometimes you just can't afford to spend that kind of money, but a lot of people can and I think they just don't realize how affordable semi custom woodworking can be. It is a great option when you are ready to commit to some furniture.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Why not get the twin? I am in the same situation you are in(actually the room is even smaller) and I had a small desk with a full at first. I ended up swapping out with a Galant and a twin. I mean, of course I would have loved to have a big bed and desk, but I live in a big city and sometimes you have to compromise.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

horchata posted:

this is definitely my main concern. plus being the naive, optimistic soon-to-graduate self that I am, I hope to get a job right after college and find my own place to live so I don't want to buy a twin that I'll replace after a year or so. But I also want a big rear end desk...

Are you sure you cant fit a Galant and a full? I had both in a 9x10 room. My problem was just that there was no way to have them both without blocking the closet due to poor room design.

B-Nasty posted:

Um...sex? If you're going to be sleeping with someone, a full is probably the absolute smallest that is reasonably tolerable. Who wants to cram 2 into a twin like a college kid when you're out of college.

Hah, it's never been a problem or bother for me. I wouldn't want to have two people sleeping in it every day, but at that point I also wouldn't be cramming half of what I own into a single room either.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Is it wide enough to put a right corner desk with the long edge on the back wall?

To add to this, the table top has a lot of overhang from the frame, so depending on how close you are cutting it keep in mind you can just have a few inches of the desk hang over the mattress.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
http://www.americandrew.com/planner.asp

I just googled "an drew" (the bit of text in the background) and "room planner". Google is amazing.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Fatal posted:

Good chairs cost money? That thing has a 12 year warranty, amortize the price across 12 years and you're playing $0.27 a day for it. You probably pay more in electricity per day to run your computer.

Also some of us sit in our chairs a lot. I don't have a super expensive chair, but I sit in it for 12 or so hours a day on a regular basis. Might as well go for something really nice at that point.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

The glass they use is pretty strong. If you were really worried you could stick a wood shim to help distribute the clamping force out over a larger area.

This is what I used to do and recommend. It helps spread out the force, and you don't have to worry about the clap possibly chipping or biting into the glass.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

The VESA standard is usually a no-brainer because they are 100 or 75 anyway, however with dual monitor mount you have to look at how "flat" you have to put those arms to still fit the panels on.

Yah, this is a big one. Depending on what you want to do/get out of your mount you might be able to use a single double arm, but you also might find you lose some flexibility with it due to the degree of extension required. Particularly with the monoprice level mounts, they are so cheap it is worth considering just getting two single arm mounts if it won't be to painful to look at and you want maximum flexibility in positioning them.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm fairly sure that means it's engineered like a hollow core door (they make a pretty big deal in their catalog that they contracted a hollow core door factory in Poland to make table tops because they thought it was such a great idea) so the internal structure is going to be something like this, particularly the honeycomb paper pattern providing the structure.

http://alamobuildingspecialties.com/?alamo_products=architectural-hollow-core-doors

That is exactly what it is.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask. Where is the best place to get the velcro straps? I don't want the loop type that you find on something you constantly open close (Laptop cables, etc), but I"d like just a roll of the same type. I don't like that thick crap that monoprice has, and I can only find that or the X" single strips. Anyone have a good price on the rolls?

I think, last time I looked, amazon sold rolls of the thinner all plastic, not cloth backed like monoprice, velcro strapping for a decent price.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Ikea Galant with the A legs.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

glompix posted:

I still want to know why anyone likes those things, especially on hardwood. All they've ever done for me is get in the way, break, or just generally be pieces of poo poo. Then again I scoff whenever people say they need drawers and poo poo too, (new thread title please) so my opinion is colored. Plain, flat desk crew represent.

It was nice when I had a desk that was on rollers that I would scoot around, since it keeps everything attached to the desk itself. Otherwise? not much of a point

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

bacon! posted:

They are era d4's - I believe they don't make these anymore, but I really like them. Not pictured is an amp that I hand built (LM3875) that is providing them power

I own some D4's for my desk I got on sale, great speakers. I have been looking for a small amp to drive the darn things and cant seem to find one. How big is the amp and how well does it work. At this point I would almost consider building one.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
My desk nook thing.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Before you go buy a mount, test it out and make sure that your screen turned in portrait doesn't make you nauseous. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but many non-IPS monitors have some strange side-effects when viewed in portrait.

The biggest issues with portrait is viewing angles. TN panels, when ran that way, have even worse viewing angles than normal. Their off height viewing angles are so bad that on their side you will just get a really bad image. The other thing is cleartype, since rotating the monitor changes subpixel configuration.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

Oh hey, I found a 6 monitor stand for $100 that's getting really good reviews on Amazon. Not sure if I want to try building a 6 monitor 27" setup for anything besides running daytrading software or other realtime market analysis systems or something from home because that's just way too drat goony for even myself.

You probably couldn't anyways. When looking at stands always look at specs. 27" monitors are large and much heavier than say a 21 inch, so not all mounts will be able to really accommodate them. Just at a glance a 27" would probably be way to wide and heavy for it.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Tedronai66 posted:

I will be very interested to see the trip report. I have a 27 and 24" monitor right now that aren't quite high enough (though I could use books I suppose)

I actually owned that before I got my current Ergotron mounts. It is a totally serviceable mount but really the kind of thing that you set up and don't really adjust. If you are looking for something you will move and adjust regularly you will be disappointed.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Does anybody know if a monitor stand exists for this kind of setup:

Alternatively, I've already got a dual monitor stand, but I can't seem to find any stands that would allow a 27" monitor to peek out above two 24" monitors in portrait.

I can't think of a single stand out of the box with that configuration, but almost all of the stands posted here simply use a pole and clamp setup, and if you look around you should be able to find a configuration of components to set that up easily. Even the fancier ergotron ones are just a pull and a arm on a clamp, they just have a nicer finish and adjustment mechanics. You need a tall enough pole, one meant for 4 monitors in a grid, and to either replace the top arms with a single fixed mount, or a single arm. You could probably just take the extra arm off the quad mount too. You can normally find the various arms and clamps sold separately.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Stand-clamp-holds-monitors/dp/B001HHNRFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359218592&sr=8-1&keywords=4+monitor+mount (basically that but either use a single mount on the top ordered separately or just use the double with a single monitor.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

niss posted:

How much work was it to attach the frame to the top. The original top of mine was easy to attach, i'm guessing the custom top was a bit more involved. Looks really good, love the lack of seems.

coffeetable posted:

It was surprisingly easy - I just dropped the cut & varnished sheet on top of the assembled frame, aligned it, then drove 16mm wood screws in where the bolts would usually go.

That works but, if you want something a tad more involved but longer lasting, I did this with my desk but I used insert nuts on mine so they come off quickly and wont strip easily long term. I also did a two piece top for easy assembly and movement(a full width main desk and a separate extension).

The cool thing with rolling your own top is you can tweak things like the width and depth, and it isn't that involved at all for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Pweller posted:

I want to see more of your home :allears:

My home right now is kinda cramped and lame. I have an apartment in the lower half of what is a converted split level. I moved here years back, and while I dislike the apartment I love the location and the fact I have a decent private yard in the middle of a city. After having moved like 6 times in a 3 year period I just totally nested. Oddly my college apartment was pretty nice but in a junky building and a junky neighborhood. You can do a lot with a bit of creativity and effort. Art school wasn't totally useless!

My desk is my baby though. When you spend enough time at a single space you tend to get obsessive.