Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

GaoGaoStegosaurus posted:

I've been looking for a game for years; kudos to anyone who can name it:

It was a PC pre-Windows overhead-view vector graphics multiplayer 'tank' game. Your tank was a triangle. You could buy weapons at the end each level, such as spread-shot, etc. It could be played with at least two players using the same keyboard. There were computer controlled players that could be added.

some offshoot of tankwars i'd imagine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

First Time Caller posted:

This one goes way back. It was a game or simulation or something for the Commodore 64, where you like, track the weather or something. I was like 6 at the time and had no fuckin idea how it worked but i thought it was cool as poo poo.

Couldn't find any gameplay screenshots, but this looks likely.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My buddy let me borrow a game way back in the day for NES. I think I was a knight or an adventurer of a sort and I was in a castle. The game reminds me of Myst pertaining to way you moved around. I think there was a lion that asked you riddles... not sure about the lion, but I'm almost positive at least some animal asked riddles. I remember you could burn yourself to death on torches or fireplaces and be killed by nearly everything in the game. This title has been eluding me for years.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

quote:

My buddy let me borrow a game way back in the day for NES. I think I was a knight or an adventurer of a sort and I was in a castle. The game reminds me of Myst pertaining to way you moved around. I think there was a lion that asked you riddles... not sure about the lion, but I'm almost positive at least some animal asked riddles. I remember you could burn yourself to death on torches or fireplaces and be killed by nearly everything in the game. This title has been eluding me for years.

That would be Shadowgate. Deja Vu and Uninvited were similar games by the same company.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

GaoGaoStegosaurus posted:

I've been looking for a game for years; kudos to anyone who can name it:

It was a PC pre-Windows overhead-view vector graphics multiplayer 'tank' game. Your tank was a triangle. You could buy weapons at the end each level, such as spread-shot, etc. It could be played with at least two players using the same keyboard. There were computer controlled players that could be added.

Scorched Earth?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Me and my friend used to play this game with each other, and I can't remember what the hell it was. It was a 3D off-road racing game that looked similar to Microsoft's Motocross Madness (which came out around the same time) but it was all about buggies and off-road cars. One of the initial cars was an off-road Volkswagon Beetle. It had course-based races but you could just gently caress off and cruise around the landscape. It was all 3d. Several different looks to the terrain, there was a grassy one and a dessert one.

Any ideas?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Probably a longshot, but I'd love to find this game again.

It was an arcade side scrolling platform shooter where upon starting you were given the choice of four planets to start from, and you played some sort of dude that looked a bit like Samus and ran across the planets shooting aliens/robots. After you finished the platform shooting segment, you'd then get into a spaceship and have to complete a gradius style shooter level before you went back to the planet select screen and did it all over again.

Would've been around in the late 80s, possibly early 90s.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde
I'm thinking of a genesis game. It used what looked like mode 7 graphics (like how that racetrack in the snes mario cart renders). You character flew around and I think there were rings and big flying worms or snakes or something.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

chairface posted:

That would be Shadowgate. Deja Vu and Uninvited were similar games by the same company.

You've just ended years of wondering. I applaud you. As soon as I googled Shadowgate and saw images of the game, memories of frustration and terror surfaced immediately.

Irascalopolator
Jun 17, 2003

mutata posted:

Me and my friend used to play this game with each other, and I can't remember what the hell it was. It was a 3D off-road racing game that looked similar to Microsoft's Motocross Madness (which came out around the same time) but it was all about buggies and off-road cars. One of the initial cars was an off-road Volkswagon Beetle. It had course-based races but you could just gently caress off and cruise around the landscape. It was all 3d. Several different looks to the terrain, there was a grassy one and a dessert one.

Any ideas?

Sounds like Beetle Adventure Racing on the N64

Krang
Nov 19, 2002
Looking for a recent PC game, probably released in the last few years or so. It's free or open source. The point of view is top-down, and you're a marble/ball outfitted with all kinds of guns. I think you get a automatic rifle to begin with and you can pick up things like miniguns with a barrel on either side of your marble, rocket launchers, a shotgun, etc. There's a minimap showing where everyone is, including the other team. I think the teams were red and blue and most of the maps I played were capture the flag, but there was a deathmatch mode. The balls gib when you kill them.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Space Gopher posted:

Castle of the Winds? It was a fairly simple roguelike for Windows that used icons as its graphical elements.

It's so long ago that my memory might be fuzzy but drat...this might be it. :holy:

Edit: drat, that's not it.

I distinctly recall that the colors were black and white or at least the main character tile was just all black. Kinda looked like a swastika with a head and a sword but not really.

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 9, 2008

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

quote:

You've just ended years of wondering. I applaud you. As soon as I googled Shadowgate and saw images of the game, memories of frustration and terror surfaced immediately.

All three of those games are surprisingly playable even today.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Irascalopolator posted:

Sounds like Beetle Adventure Racing on the N64

No, sorry, I forgot to mention that it was for PC.

Edit: Plus the beetle buggies in this game were old-school off-road baja beetles like this one:

http://www.speedace.info/speedace_images/baja_blue_vw_beetle.jpg

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Krang posted:

Looking for a recent PC game, probably released in the last few years or so. It's free or open source. The point of view is top-down, and you're a marble/ball outfitted with all kinds of guns. I think you get a automatic rifle to begin with and you can pick up things like miniguns with a barrel on either side of your marble, rocket launchers, a shotgun, etc. There's a minimap showing where everyone is, including the other team. I think the teams were red and blue and most of the maps I played were capture the flag, but there was a deathmatch mode. The balls gib when you kill them.

I think you're looking for Babo Violent 2?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

mutata posted:

No, sorry, I forgot to mention that it was for PC.

Edit: Plus the beetle buggies in this game were old-school off-road baja beetles like this one:

http://www.speedace.info/speedace_images/baja_blue_vw_beetle.jpg

1nsane?

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

mutata posted:

Any ideas?

I'm just guessing here, but this sounds a bit like Ignition

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mr_Person posted:

1nsane?

I'm pretty sure this is it! Thanks, everyone!

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni
This one was a popular 2s side scroller coin op, say mid 90's?

You controlled a fighter who is battling his way through multi levels of a castle/fortress. Along the way you can free prisoners who then follow along as your ally tossing out ranged attacks.

Some of the allies are a white wizard type, a black counterpart wizard, a ninja that tosses bombs, and a powerful gargoyle beast you can force into subjugation if you have the correct ring on.

I want to say Golden Axe but it's not that.

U.S. MAPLESTORY
Sep 29, 2006

now run and tell your mama bout that

Doc Spratley posted:

This one was a popular 2s side scroller coin op, say mid 90's?

You controlled a fighter who is battling his way through multi levels of a castle/fortress. Along the way you can free prisoners who then follow along as your ally tossing out ranged attacks.

Some of the allies are a white wizard type, a black counterpart wizard, a ninja that tosses bombs, and a powerful gargoyle beast you can force into subjugation if you have the correct ring on.

I want to say Golden Axe but it's not that.

Magic Sword.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Old old game, maybe Atari generation

It was like Robotron: 2084 except it had a maze set up. Robots would come out of something and try to kill you. I remember most is that there was the 'boss' enemy that looked like a smiley face. We used to call him Mr. Smiley. He would kill you if you didn't collect all the keys or something.

Irascalopolator
Jun 17, 2003

temple posted:

Old old game, maybe Atari generation

It was like Robotron: 2084 except it had a maze set up. Robots would come out of something and try to kill you. I remember most is that there was the 'boss' enemy that looked like a smiley face. We used to call him Mr. Smiley. He would kill you if you didn't collect all the keys or something.

Berzerk, and Mr Smiley's real name was Evil Otto

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Action RPG set in the future on the SNES.

Wake up in a morgue, which is about the most fantastic setup for a game ever. Trying to find out who nearly killed you, as well as remember who you are. I remember the interface was clunky, and it had a terrible keyword system to get information from people.

Oh, the music was fantastic.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Pseudophile posted:

Action RPG set in the future on the SNES.

Wake up in a morgue, which is about the most fantastic setup for a game ever. Trying to find out who nearly killed you, as well as remember who you are. I remember the interface was clunky, and it had a terrible keyword system to get information from people.

Oh, the music was fantastic.

Not sure about the terrible keyword system, but the rest of it definitely describes Shadowrun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Saint Septimus posted:

Not sure about the terrible keyword system, but the rest of it definitely describes Shadowrun.

That's definately it, thanks a ton.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Ancient Mac shareware/freeware game, was some sort of tank combat game that was mainly oriented towards multiplayer, was 2D tile-based, and it had pillboxes.

Also, that Mac shareware game that used tons of Star Trek IP until Paramount sued them for copyright infringement.

Krang
Nov 19, 2002

Saint Septimus posted:

I think you're looking for Babo Violent 2?

Man, you're awesome. I've searched high and low for it. Thanks!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

Ancient Mac shareware/freeware game, was some sort of tank combat game that was mainly oriented towards multiplayer, was 2D tile-based, and it had pillboxes.

Probably the Mac incarnation of Bolo.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Sweeper posted:

It's an old game I don't remember much about, all I can really remember was it was hard as gently caress when I was young and the opening thing is you have to get into a turret and you just shoot down planes until the alarm goes off. After that I think you get into a plane that might look like a stealth fighter and you fly somewhere...

Cyberia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberia_(video_game)

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
A fighting game on the PS1.

It was a sort of 3D fighter where 2 opponents fight in a HUGE map. The maps were almost Battlefield sized. I think they were multilayered too, I remember one was outside in the grass and there was hills and stuff.

It wasn't Rival Schools or any of the DBZ games. I think the fighters were asian, sort of looking like Street Fighterish. That's all I got.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

N64 3D fighting game with some very interesting characters. There was, like, a dwarf with a mech made out of barrels and some huge skeleton dude. I want to say that the game started with "R".

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Biodome posted:

A fighting game on the PS1.

It was a sort of 3D fighter where 2 opponents fight in a HUGE map. The maps were almost Battlefield sized. I think they were multilayered too, I remember one was outside in the grass and there was hills and stuff.

It wasn't Rival Schools or any of the DBZ games. I think the fighters were asian, sort of looking like Street Fighterish. That's all I got.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido_Blade_(video_game)
?

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Strontosaurus posted:

N64 3D fighting game with some very interesting characters. There was, like, a dwarf with a mech made out of barrels and some huge skeleton dude. I want to say that the game started with "R".

Bio freaks?

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Strontosaurus posted:

War Gods, maybe?

MushroomSquid
Jan 7, 2005

In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.

squiffy posted:

3D Movie Maker.
You'll be pleased to know there's still an active community for the game. Some of them create absolutely mind blowing movies, building all of their scenes from primitives. Other movies are... childish.
3dmm.com

Wow, this is so much more than I expected. I had a dream about this the other night... I must play this.

SentrySteve
Jun 17, 2007
.txt
Maybe you guys can name this game too...

About a year ago I was reading about a PC game in Game Informer. It was mainly a single player game where the world was covered in some purple/pink organic-alien-like plants or moss. Visually, the style looks similar to Fallout 3 but with this moss poo poo everywhere.

The games unique feature was that, even though it was single player, other human players could jump in your game and take over the NPCs. So you never really knew if what you were playing against was a computer or a person, assuming you had the option enabled. Obviously, you could also hop in other peoples games and set up traps, ambushes, and other things they wouldn't normally expect.

So what's the name of the game? I've been trying to find it to see if it was released or canned.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Splashy Gravy posted:

I'm thinking of a genesis game. It used what looked like mode 7 graphics (like how that racetrack in the snes mario cart renders). You character flew around and I think there were rings and big flying worms or snakes or something.

Was it Space Harrier?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

I think this is it. Thanks dude!

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
This was a mid evil fantasy Genesis game by Electronic Arts that came in a really big cart. All I remember is that you'd start off and you'd get a message like "This spot is cursed!" and if you didn't move this wurm would pop up and eat you. It was also pretty generic hack/slash RPG and looked a bit like Diablo.

Also, I remember the character you were controlling was an old guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's probably The Immortal, SpaceBees.