Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Cornwind Evil posted:

A PC game, in the vein of Wizardry. All I remember is that one of the classes was this strange elephant people who were good for magic roles because they had a racial that let them regenerate HP, and I think there was a minor boss called Captain Bloodbeard. And that the most powerful spell was basically shooting a liquid blast of gore at enemies.
This might be Wizards & Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Trying to remember the name of a roguelike JRPG. Came out relatively recently (maybe past five years), has anime portraits, visual novel style graphics and....that's all I remember, I think I forgot to wishlist it when I was looking at it aaaages ago . I thought the title was Time Break Chronicles but apparently that's the a different roguelike JRPG (this one has more 2D Final Fantasy style sprites).

I thiiiiink it's turn based? I could have sworn it was also in a Humble Choice in the past year but I'm looking at the list and I don't see it, maybe it's a different HB or maybe on Fanatical. It's definitely more JRPG with roguelike elements rather than say, something like Shiren the Wanderer

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Artelier posted:

Trying to remember the name of a roguelike JRPG. Came out relatively recently (maybe past five years), has anime portraits, visual novel style graphics and....that's all I remember, I think I forgot to wishlist it when I was looking at it aaaages ago . I thought the title was Time Break Chronicles but apparently that's the a different roguelike JRPG (this one has more 2D Final Fantasy style sprites).

I thiiiiink it's turn based? I could have sworn it was also in a Humble Choice in the past year but I'm looking at the list and I don't see it, maybe it's a different HB or maybe on Fanatical. It's definitely more JRPG with roguelike elements rather than say, something like Shiren the Wanderer

Zanki Zero?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

A great guess! Not it, but similar vibes. Wishlisted it....and the games similar to it section had the game I was thinking of, Chrono Ark! Turns out it does have chibi sprites also, but I completely forgot that, whoops. Thanks so much for the help, both of these are on sale!!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Pierzak posted:

Legends of Valour?

Hot drat this is it.

Thanks everybody for the help

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm looking for an indie turn-based medieval squad tactics game, set in a low-fantasy world with graphics vaguely reminiscent of Diplomacy is Not an Option or Kingdoms and Castles:

Except with more trees. Also a big standout feature was destructible terrain with a bomb class which almost played like atomic bomberman. The gameplay was a bit like final fantasy tactics, a little bit.

Anyone have any idea what the game could be? It seemed really fun but it's been a couple years since I saw it.

e: It might not be turn-based, I can't remember anymore.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 27, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Low-magic medieval squad game with a bomber class sounds a lot like Myth to be, though it is neither turn based nor can you deform terrain.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Maybe it was Tenderfoot Tactics? It's sorta got the graphical vibe, and has destructible terrain and turnbased tactical rpg stuff. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1061610/Tenderfoot_Tactics/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Both of those seem really neat and pretty close but not quite I think, it was more like a party roguelike or something IIRC. More modern than Myth and more green/woody/slightly less abstract than Tenderfoot. Also had a similarish interface design to those city builder games.

I only remember watching a youtube review/playthrough of it in beta, so not much to go on I know.

I'll post here if I can find it.

e: It seems like it might be this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1913410/Broken_Tactics/, which should be releasing in a few days? If it ever does.

But I've been unable to find a video of it, maybe it was a beta/prototype under a different name or something. Or another game that is very similar to it.

It was also in a forest with medieval buildings rather than a desert.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 27, 2023

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Fort Triumph?

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
For the King?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Help me identify a game

I think it’s Super Nintendo. Might be PlayStation 1

JRPG

opening credits is a very cinematic 2D montage of a city, pan shots of people training martial arts, and people just going about town doing townie stuff. Sweeping pastoral music.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztKd4y4k44

Suikoden 2?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Okay so I barely remember anything about this game but I'll give it a shot.

It was a game I remember playing somewhere between 1995-1998 on PC, probably a Windows 95 game but there's a chance it was a DOS game or even Windows 3.1 too. I don't seem to recall it running in fullscreen though which makes me think it was just something that ran windowed. It was a top-down game that I think would've been closest to an RPG maybe? But I don't recall any random battles and at my young age I wouldn't have known what an RPG was anyway. While I estimate that I played it during those years it's very possible it's an older game than that time frame. My dad was not a gamer of any kind so I have no idea how we obtained this game. Maybe it was a pack-in game with the Dell Windows 95 PC we got around 1995? I don't remember having to load a floppy or CD for it. The thing I recall most strongly from it was the following:

I remember a level, I think it was Level 4, where you enter from the top right of the map and are presented with 4 or maybe 5 long horizontal corridors that you could cross between at points. You had to move to the left side of the map to exit. I don't think it scrolled vertically at all (in that specific level), and I remember this level was basically my stopping point every time I played it. Some enemy or some obstacle would nearly always prevent me from getting through it. I don't remember any method of interaction with the world, no weapons, no shooting, nothing. I just remember moving around, with maybe some block pushing but I'm very unsure.

Other details: While I remember nothing of levels 1-3 I do remember that once you beat them you exited out onto what looks like a world map of sorts, but you cannot really do anything except move into the entrance to the level 4 described above. You had to beat levels 1-3 to even see the world map. I recall the world map looking very gray and my memories give me the impression of either a military or alien base. I think level 4's staircase entered into a pyramid building? The game probably ran at no greater than basic 16-color graphics. I think there were staircases to the level sets as their entrance and exit points, meaning I think you could go back and forth between levels, though I don't know if there was a reason to do so. Movement was probably grid-based.

There were a couple times I managed to beat Level 4's corridors and get to the exit. Memories continue to be hazy, but after exiting the level you actually walk out onto the world map proper. I remember it seemed pretty large to me and I guess the goal was to find the next level. I don't remember where it was or anything, just that the world map was large to explore and still very gray, maybe some blue for water. It had free scrolling in all four directions.

It's definitely not Chip's Challenge though my mind is probably mixing it with whatever this game is in terms of visual memories of it. CC was probably the true first video game I ever played and probably what got me exploring other games as a kid. I wish I had more concrete details of the game but this is basically everything I can remember. If anyone has any leads, I'd be grateful since the question of what this game is has been popping into my head every now and then for a long time now.

edit: Probably worth mentioning I'm from the US, it would've been some game released here and in English.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 20, 2023

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It doesn't quite match up with your description (because you said no vertical scrolling or weapons) but I'm going to say Castle of the Winds anyway, because there's like a 90% chance of that being the right answer when someone is interested in a top-down RPG-ish game that ran in a window in the early-mid 90s.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Pretty sure it wasn't that, definitely too colorful for my memories. Also when I said no vertical scrolling I should've said that was only for the level 4 I described. The world map itself had scrolling in all directions and other levels might have as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A fantasy beat'em'up game around the DOS era, for PC, traditional isometric perspective but single screen. Notable feature was having an overworld map with a dragon on it that you could fight.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

A fantasy beat'em'up game around the DOS era, for PC, traditional isometric perspective but single screen. Notable feature was having an overworld map with a dragon on it that you could fight.

Sounds to me like Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight maybe? It definitely has a dragon that you don’t wanna run into on the world map. https://youtu.be/i6M9_h_2rgA?si=x0N06Cf2suhhWJ4e
it’s quite fun IMO!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mischievous Mink posted:

Sounds to me like Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight maybe? It definitely has a dragon that you don’t wanna run into on the world map. https://youtu.be/i6M9_h_2rgA?si=x0N06Cf2suhhWJ4e
it’s quite fun IMO!

Yes, that's it.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I used to love moonstone.

Beware the hairy ballocks of the North.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool
moonstone deserves a remake, it was great

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

that and barbarian (the duelling one)

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Chubby Henparty posted:

that and barbarian (the duelling one)

Yes Barbarian 1, we got it free with barb 2 but played it much more.

Wolf from UK gladiators was on the cover.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I had a demo of a computer game. It was for kids. It might have been educational but I don't know for what. First Person point of view. You go between rooms in a mansion (think more like the Encarta mind maze than Myst). You could talk to characters who were anthropomorphic animals. The only one I remember for certain was named Cleo the Cat. It had voice acting. I think you might have been able to get a light to let you do something in a dark room. It wasn't cartoony.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Andorra posted:

I had a demo of a computer game. It was for kids. It might have been educational but I don't know for what. First Person point of view. You go between rooms in a mansion (think more like the Encarta mind maze than Myst). You could talk to characters who were anthropomorphic animals. The only one I remember for certain was named Cleo the Cat. It had voice acting. I think you might have been able to get a light to let you do something in a dark room. It wasn't cartoony.

I think I've found it. Reading Mansion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b72tTpXC-0

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

That's absolutely it. Thanks. I should have asked here to begin with instead of going through every page on MyAbandonWare since it's not even there.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There was this thing I played on a windows 95 machine. It was a multimedia disc thing for kids that was meant to educate you about different industries. One of them was about recycling, and you had to sort waste into categories as it moved on a conveyor. One had something to do with water treatment. The one that really sticks in my mind, though, is the military one where there's an explosion and your superior is lying injured and asks you to push the big red button that fires the rocket because he can't do it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Azza Bamboo posted:

There was this thing I played on a windows 95 machine. It was a multimedia disc thing for kids that was meant to educate you about different industries. One of them was about recycling, and you had to sort waste into categories as it moved on a conveyor. One had something to do with water treatment. The one that really sticks in my mind, though, is the military one where there's an explosion and your superior is lying injured and asks you to push the big red button that fires the rocket because he can't do it.

That took a loving turn :staredog:

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Hm, that's a tough one. A lot of edutainment stuff isn't well documented. closest I can think of right now is Adi's Attic, it has a simulator minigame thing about water pollution near a seaside village. It also has one about how a country gets developed apparently, and one of the things you can adjust is war. Does that look even slightly like what you remember?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't think it's that because I'd remember the gormless kid face, but it definitely had that kind of aesthetic. I doubt that helps because every weird multimedia package of the time had that half cartoon half trying to look realistic thing going.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Yeah, unfortunately it was just an insanely popular style at the time. Maybe old magazines would help? I know my family got at least one magazine that was entirely for ordering edutainment games for homeschooled kids, if you can find them digitized anywhere it might be worth skimming and seeing if anything triggers a memory.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Probably 10 or 15 years ago there was a browser-based, maybe flash based arcade-ish shooter game, with like vector looking graphics on the black space background. You could build your ship and add pieces on it modular-style. Any ideas?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I thought it was Warning Forever or rRootage, but those are freeware games where the bosses keep upgrading/changing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I found it like 30 seconds after posting, it's captain forever, apparently inspired by warning forever

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Forever

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I did not need to be made to realise that Warning Forever is over twenty years old at this point. :negative:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The original Mount & Blade too, if you count the early access versions.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

I did not need to be made to realise that Warning Forever is over twenty years old at this point. :negative:

Unreal Tournament is older now than Space Invaders was when UT came out.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Hell, I still have the key that I bought from the M&B dev (manually, I seem to recall, via email) for a very early alpha/beta version, around the time the game first gained traction on this forum.

Shine posted:

Unreal Tournament is older now than Space Invaders was when UT came out.
Stop it. :smith:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

Stop it. :smith:

This also works for Gangsta's Paradise and All You Need is Love .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

sort of asking for my dad; between us both we can't remember what the heck this game was called. he played it a ton in the 90s, it was a turn-based strategy map game kind of thing, with online multiplayer -- i'm pretty sure it was play-by-email and games would go for multiple days. it was historical i think (like, as opposed to fantasy/scifi i mean -- i remember there were tanks) i'm pretty sure it was a free game he downloaded, and not something he bought. iirc the graphics were a little primitive, or at least 2d/flat.

i know this is barely anything to go off of. :sweatdrop: i was pretty young.