Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
There was an arcade game I used to play years ago, I'm guessing 1990 give or take a few years. It was similar to Magic Sword, but you got money and could buy weapons and upgrades. I think (could be wrong on this) your weapon was a blade on a rope that you threw forward.

Any help on this would be appreciated, I've been trying to figure out what this was for a year now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

SentrySteve posted:

About a year ago I was reading about a PC game in Game Informer. It was mainly a single player game where the world was covered in some purple/pink organic-alien-like plants or moss. Visually, the style looks similar to Fallout 3 but with this moss poo poo everywhere.

I remember looking at those screenshots, and I think it was one of the C&C 3 games.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Watrick posted:

There was an arcade game I used to play years ago, I'm guessing 1990 give or take a few years. It was similar to Magic Sword, but you got money and could buy weapons and upgrades. I think (could be wrong on this) your weapon was a blade on a rope that you threw forward.

Any help on this would be appreciated, I've been trying to figure out what this was for a year now.

Rygar, possibly?

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Panic Restaurant posted:

Rygar, possibly?

Nope. Not Rygar, but thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware that Rygar was on arcade.

Trembling Waif
Sep 23, 2000

I have a game that I need, but I can't recall what it's name is. It's a tile based online paintball game. It was similar to counter-strike in that each match would give you money to buy stuff like paint grenades, smoke grenades, etc. There was a line of sight system in place and fog of war. There were several rounds being played at once so there was a lobby area where people sorta just waited. The graphics were pretty primitive and the game is ancient - it was one of my first online games ever, possibly back in 1995 or so. At the time it was free to play with only around 20-30 players ever on at a time.

I had found the game on a "WOW!!! 1,000 GREAT GAMES!!!" cd back in the day but I couldn't find it while rummaging through all my garbage games recently. I have no idea what it could be called.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Watrick posted:

Black Tiger?

If this is right, then that means I'm far, far too good at these threads and have a near-photographic memory when it comes to games I've only played once or twice.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

cornbeef posted:

I have a game that I need, but I can't recall what it's name is. It's a tile based online paintball game. It was similar to counter-strike in that each match would give you money to buy stuff like paint grenades, smoke grenades, etc. There was a line of sight system in place and fog of war. There were several rounds being played at once so there was a lobby area where people sorta just waited. The graphics were pretty primitive and the game is ancient - it was one of my first online games ever, possibly back in 1995 or so. At the time it was free to play with only around 20-30 players ever on at a time.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, I used to play the poo poo out of this game when I was like 13. It's Paintball Net of course, and it's been offline for a long long time. When it went down, I believe some people got together and rehosted it or cloned it, and it became High Velocity Paintball. I haven't played HVPB but it looks like it's still active.

Trembling Waif
Sep 23, 2000

Saint Septimus posted:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, I used to play the poo poo out of this game when I was like 13. It's Paintball Net of course, and it's been offline for a long long time. When it went down, I believe some people got together and rehosted it or cloned it, and it became High Velocity Paintball. I haven't played HVPB but it looks like it's still active.

That is exactly it. I just gave HVPB a whirl and it's just as confusing and cumbersome as I remember. It's awesome people still play this game.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde

Akumu posted:

Was it Space Harrier?

That's it! Awesome http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/bruno-octopus/480-space-harrier-2.gif

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Black Tiger?

If this is right, then that means I'm far, far too good at these threads and have a near-photographic memory when it comes to games I've only played once or twice.

Oh dear God, you're loving right. Thank you so much!!! You have no idea how long I've been wrecking my brain over this. A million thanks once again.

Edit: I'm an rear end. I got really excited as I watched a you tube video, I watched a few more and realized that Black Tiger isn't right either, sorry. If it helps the money spun and was of different sizes. I couldn't tell from the you tube videos, but I don't think you spent it in Black Tiger, but I could be wrong. Sorry again and thanks for the help.

Watrick fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 11, 2008

Thespian Buttocks
Aug 5, 2008
i remember having this game for the psx years ago, pre-ps2 release. i cannot remember the name of the game nor too much about it other than you had bugs/monsters and you fought other bug/monsters. you could capture new ones and, i think, merge them to make stronger bugs/monsters

i really cant remember much but this thread reminded me of it. any help would be nice.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thespian Buttocks posted:

i remember having this game for the psx years ago, pre-ps2 release. i cannot remember the name of the game nor too much about it other than you had bugs/monsters and you fought other bug/monsters. you could capture new ones and, i think, merge them to make stronger bugs/monsters

i really cant remember much but this thread reminded me of it. any help would be nice.
Sounds like Jade Cocoon

Thespian Buttocks
Aug 5, 2008
as soon as i saw the name the memories flooded back. thank you a lot...now i just need to obtain it again.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Watrick posted:

Oh dear God, you're loving right. Thank you so much!!! You have no idea how long I've been wrecking my brain over this. A million thanks once again.

Edit: I'm an rear end. I got really excited as I watched a you tube video, I watched a few more and realized that Black Tiger isn't right either, sorry. If it helps the money spun and was of different sizes. I couldn't tell from the you tube videos, but I don't think you spent it in Black Tiger, but I could be wrong. Sorry again and thanks for the help.

Was it Holy Diver?

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Was it Holy Diver?

I did a search for it because the name doesn't seem familiar at all, so I'm going to go with a no. Do you know any sources that has screen shots or videos of it? If not, no worries. I appreciate the help.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!
I remember seeing this arcade game a few years ago, it looked as if the main character was some kind of "Igor" kind of fellow, you carried a lamp around and threw huge balls of fire at zombies and generally the undead.

I think it was in a kind of bubble-bobble stage setup but I really have no idea.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I remember playing some game on one of those "50 games!!!" shareware discs. It was a puzzle game that kinda reminded me of Bubble Bobble, except you could move the character that was shooting the bubbles up. Generally there'd be a bunch of blocks in the air that you had to shoot matching blocks at to make them disappear. You could only shoot the blocks diagonally from your character (I remember being really bad at aiming them as a kid) and the only way to lose was to not hit matching blocks. Each level had a theme to it and would have different platforms and blocks to clear, like one had all the blocks as food items.

Surely someone has played this game?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ganty posted:

I remember seeing this arcade game a few years ago, it looked as if the main character was some kind of "Igor" kind of fellow, you carried a lamp around and threw huge balls of fire at zombies and generally the undead.

I think it was in a kind of bubble-bobble stage setup but I really have no idea.

This is an awesome Neo Geo game called Nightmare in the Dark.

Caralad
Aug 13, 2007

Clanker loooves garbage
I remember playing a demo of a PS1 game a long way back, but I can't remember the name of it. If memory serves, it was about a futuristic police force. The camera was top down. And it had both co-op and vs multiplayer. I remember some sort of points buying units in the vs mode too, but that may be me going crazy.

Noteworthy scenery
Jan 9, 2007
I remember this game I would occasionally rent out for the SNES (or Super Famicom, or whatever the European version is called).

You played this tiny guy in a green jump suit. He had to find his way around a house, and I remember that one of the weapons you could use shot iron nails. There was definitely a kitchen level, a living room, and some sort of playroom. The boss was a rat that reappeared several times in the game, each time in worse condition, 'cause he would lose parts of his body every time you defeated him.

EDIT: /\/\/\ I think what you're looking for is Future Cop.

Noteworthy scenery fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 11, 2008

AnotherBodak
Apr 3, 2006
I like to watch.
A text adventure game, free (or shareware, fairly certain it was free though) to download from an internet site.

Name was possibly of the "something" of "something" format.

From the first screen there was a bar/pub. Inside, you could play darts, or recruit a retard (literally) to follow you and serve as a henchman.

Heading north, there was a castle, with a drawn drawbridge, guarded by vampires.

The game used multicoloured text.

Caralad
Aug 13, 2007

Clanker loooves garbage

Balkan Spy posted:

Yes, thank you. Thats been bugging me for ages.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

glod posted:

I remember playing some game on one of those "50 games!!!" shareware discs. It was a puzzle game that kinda reminded me of Bubble Bobble, except you could move the character that was shooting the bubbles up. Generally there'd be a bunch of blocks in the air that you had to shoot matching blocks at to make them disappear. You could only shoot the blocks diagonally from your character (I remember being really bad at aiming them as a kid) and the only way to lose was to not hit matching blocks. Each level had a theme to it and would have different platforms and blocks to clear, like one had all the blocks as food items.

Surely someone has played this game?

That one's almost certainly Boppin', by Accursed Toys.

Emillio
Sep 23, 2006
Lurking since 1969
This has been bugging me for ages. It's an old pc game where you can become a fish, shark, puffer fish, barracuda or other things in a reef. You had to swim around and find things to eat or else you'd die. You can also be eaten by sharks and other things. I can't remember too much about it. Though, on the left side on the screen, I believe there was a map divided into nine sections to guide you around the reef.

I would be so happy if I could play this game again.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Emillio posted:

This has been bugging me for ages. It's an old pc game where you can become a fish, shark, puffer fish, barracuda or other things in a reef. You had to swim around and find things to eat or else you'd die. You can also be eaten by sharks and other things. I can't remember too much about it. Though, on the left side on the screen, I believe there was a map divided into nine sections to guide you around the reef.

I would be so happy if I could play this game again.

Odell Down Under looks like it fits the bill. I almost missed the microscopic little map (with nine sections) at the bottom of the screenshots.

hemoptysis
Jan 4, 2007

y-y-YAY
:ohdear:
I'm thinking of this game on the NES. I think it could be played with the gun peripheral but I was doing it with just a controller. The objective of the game was to rack up points by shooting various targets on different levels. When I was playing with the controller, I remember the cursor being a crosshair. The only level I clearly remember (because it scared the poo poo out of me) was the front of a haunted house. Little white and red ghosts would bop around everyplace and there was a full moon and a spooky tree or something. I remember it being the second level, maybe? I could be wrong.

Beer
Aug 31, 2002

lol fat nom nom nom

hemoptysis posted:

I'm thinking of this game on the NES. I think it could be played with the gun peripheral but I was doing it with just a controller. The objective of the game was to rack up points by shooting various targets on different levels. When I was playing with the controller, I remember the cursor being a crosshair. The only level I clearly remember (because it scared the poo poo out of me) was the front of a haunted house. Little white and red ghosts would bop around everyplace and there was a full moon and a spooky tree or something. I remember it being the second level, maybe? I could be wrong.

Was it Chiller ?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This could be Chiller, though that game usually stands out more for its full nudity and absurd levels for gore for an NES port (the arcade original is even more absurd).

Like Freedom Force, however, it's worth owning simply because it lets you play coop with two Zappers. :D

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
A quick shuffle through Mobygames' database suggests that it's Shooting Range.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Cyberia was the game I was looking for too thanks guys.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Bieeardo posted:

That one's almost certainly Boppin', by Accursed Toys.

Oh yeah! That's it! Thanks.

hemoptysis
Jan 4, 2007

y-y-YAY
:ohdear:
Shooting Range is it, thank you!

Emillio
Sep 23, 2006
Lurking since 1969

Saint Septimus posted:

Odell Down Under looks like it fits the bill. I almost missed the microscopic little map (with nine sections) at the bottom of the screenshots.

Holy poo poo, thank you so much. :)

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008
Years ago I played a demo of some roguelike on a mac addict cd. I've been searching all over for it and haven't been able to locate it. I remember a tower that you had to go in that was filled up with spiders behind a wall.

0blivionion
May 21, 2007

by Fragmaster

Balkan Spy posted:

I remember this game I would occasionally rent out for the SNES (or Super Famicom, or whatever the European version is called).

You played this tiny guy in a green jump suit. He had to find his way around a house, and I remember that one of the weapons you could use shot iron nails. There was definitely a kitchen level, a living room, and some sort of playroom. The boss was a rat that reappeared several times in the game, each time in worse condition, 'cause he would lose parts of his body every time you defeated him.

Harley's Humongous Adventure?

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Neo Rasa posted:

This is an awesome Neo Geo game called Nightmare in the Dark.

Wow, thankyou! What a fun little game.

Noteworthy scenery
Jan 9, 2007

0blivionion posted:

Harley's Humongous Adventure?

That's it! :) Thank you.

GaoGaoStegosaurus
Apr 24, 2008

Rudger posted:

Scorched Earth?

Nice try, but the game I'm thinking of was very different to Scorched Earth or QBasic Bananas.

It was an overhead view, played in real time. The thanks were triangles, and shot little white blocks. However, like Scorched Earth, you could add computer players or buy upgrades at a shop.

I curse this thread for making me think about this game again; I'm effectively non-functional until I know what it's called.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

The game was set in like a pacman style maze. You moved a triangle around that shot bullets and you fought against another triangle who did the same. I remember sometimes the enemy triangle would fire a heat seeking missile at you. I keep wanting to say it was Flashmaze but that was just an old BBS doorgame but this game was strictly DOS I think. Ancient game, probably very early 90s if not very late 80s.

Speaking of which I wonder if this is the same game that GaoGaoStegosaurus is thinking of.

edit: Oh yeah I asked my older brother a few years back (he was the one playing it on our 286) what that game was and he replied Spectre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(computer_game)) which obviously wasn't right because Spectre is 3d, not overhead view.

Social Animal fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Mr_Person posted:

Holy poo poo, that's the most blatant ripoff of a game I've ever seen. They didn't even have the decency to give the kid a different kind of ball or something.

\/\/\/ Street Rod

I'm not sure if you are saying the answer was right or not. Your comment implies it was the wrong answer but looked like a rip off of the game you actually wanted.

It is Soccer Kid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czw_VPXA_bE&feature=related

The games have the same ball because that was the colours of a match ball for years beforehand.