Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

cmndstab posted:

I remember asking this is a previous thread, I forget if I got an answer to it. I believe the sum of money was something crazy like a million dollars, and as well as being the first to solve it, you had to solve the game within a year. I don't believe anyone ever solved it. I think it might have been closer to 97 or so that it came out, but I forget the name.

aha, my friend found it on her own. was called treasure quest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Since this one seems to have replaced the other thread, I'll repost this here:

quote:

This is a SNES or Genesis ROM I played over a year ago. It was a bloody sidescroller that reminded me of Splatterhouse, though it was more dark fantasy than horror, or something. You start out as a guy that can run, jump and shoot, and the first level is in some sort of building that may have had an elevator section, but definitely had a big boss chasing you who reminded me of Crocomire from Super Metroid. After that, you turned into either a demon or a dragon-man who could double jump, and the second level was in some sort of evil garden or forest ruin. The bit I remember most clearly is that in this stage there were these fairy enemies who would fly out of tree stumps, and I think you could kill and eat them for health. Somewhere in here was a boss who bounced around/teleported, and may have gotten smaller as you hit it. It might have been a big eyeball or a wheel, though I might be confusing it with that fire wheel boss from Actraiser.

Someone already said Demon's Crest, which wasn't right, but the game I'm thinking of looked really similar, if I'm remembering correctly. Similar colors, same sort of weird-looking enemies, and I think even a similar-looking player sprite. It may very well have been a ripoff of Demon's Crest.

jimjob
Apr 22, 2008
I have two games I can't remember the name of. Both were circa mid-90's, the one was on SNES. It was alot like Mario Kart but I remember on the battle mode of this game it was alot like sumo wrestling where you had to push the opponents off the edge of the course. I believe there was a racing side to the game but I was really young so my memory is hazy. The other one, I remember playing on my uncle's pc, was a big maze with blue and pink mice running around. The goal was to kill all the mice with an array of wacky weapons but when a blue and a pink mouse would go underneath cover they would make a funny noise and mate... resulting in more mice to kill. Anyone have any clue as to what these games were?

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

Jigg posted:

Sounds suspiciously like the Diablo 2 expansion, Lord Of Destruction, which was set in something like a Mongol environment and introduced a martial arts player class.

I've played Lord of Destruction and that isn't it. Thanks though.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Back in the mid-nineties I played a game on the MAC that was a sort of 2D space sim game, you viewed it top-down. You started out with a lovely ship which could haul a little bit of cargo and that was it. You jumped from planet to planet scraping together money for better ships and hopefully not getting killed by pirates.

Pirating was awesome too, but incredibly high risk.

Anyone remember this game?

Mookwarrior
Jul 9, 2007
Official Hater.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Back in the mid-nineties I played a game on the MAC that was a sort of 2D space sim game, you viewed it top-down. You started out with a lovely ship which could haul a little bit of cargo and that was it. You jumped from planet to planet scraping together money for better ships and hopefully not getting killed by pirates.

Pirating was awesome too, but incredibly high risk.

Anyone remember this game?

Sounds like escape velocity too me.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I love you.

Sadly from what I'm seeing it is apple only.

poo poo.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 17, 2008

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Ice Phisherman posted:

I love you.

Sadly from what I'm seeing it is apple only.

poo poo.

EV Nova, the third one, was ported to PC.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

PlesantDilemma posted:

There is an old Diablo clone I played a while back that I would like to know the name of. I got the demo of it on a CD that I got from a magazine. I am pretty sure it came out after Diablo 2 but not too long after. It had a very Asian theme to it, I remember the main character wore armor that made him look like a samurai. Also, the helper NPC mercenary that ran around with you had his own inventory to store things in, and I remember wishing that I could do that in Diablo 2. If any knows the name, that would be cool.

Hmm I know this one...I remember playing the demo also...Throne of Darkness?...wasn't very impressed really.

EjectButton
Jun 13, 2003

gift from heaven
I remember playing an arcade game in the mid 90s. Was an isometric adventure game, 1-2 players. All I really remember was that there was a level where you were walking around outside in a castle riding a tiger and you could make the tiger jump up on enemies and then spin around their neck decapitating them.

Bareback Rodeo
Jan 26, 2006

by Fragmaster
Mine is a game from the Sega Megadrive, I think. It's sort of like Contra. It's a side-scroller, you run along and it's multiplayer and you shoot monsters with guns. The only identifiable thing I remember is there is a sort of ancient-Egyptian level. You go up against an Anubis-like character at some point.

What's it called?

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Bareback Rodeo posted:

Mine is a game from the Sega Megadrive, I think. It's sort of like Contra. It's a side-scroller, you run along and it's multiplayer and you shoot monsters with guns. The only identifiable thing I remember is there is a sort of ancient-Egyptian level. You go up against an Anubis-like character at some point.

What's it called?

By any chance are the two main characters some beefy muscle bound monsters who fly around?

Also you have weapons and buy poo poo with a stupidly named currency, complete with Egyptian level where you go upwards.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

PlesantDilemma posted:

There is an old Diablo clone I played a while back that I would like to know the name of. I got the demo of it on a CD that I got from a magazine. I am pretty sure it came out after Diablo 2 but not too long after. It had a very Asian theme to it, I remember the main character wore armor that made him look like a samurai. Also, the helper NPC mercenary that ran around with you had his own inventory to store things in, and I remember wishing that I could do that in Diablo 2. If any knows the name, that would be cool.

BoonyPC posted:

Hmm I know this one...I remember playing the demo also...Throne of Darkness?...wasn't very impressed really.

I recall that demo too. A quick look at Google or Wikipedia seems to confirm that the character sprites fit the demo, and I'm sure you could look up Gamespot reviews for further images and maybe even a video.

As for another game, I recall one that was an RTS. Not quite the usual sort, but one featuring four races of biological weapons that use genetic engineering to create their units and attach weapons to points on each of the creatures. I don't believe there was any resource gathering, but you did have to control patches of land for something akin to resources, but my memory's spotty on that.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Mr Scumbag posted:

This game was kind of like worms but with planets and spaceships. You chose your weapon and chose the trajectory and fired.

Each player was situated on a planet and the larger the planet, the stronger the gravitational field. You also had shields you could configure and this game had a weapon editor.

I actually found this game for a while but I've since forgotten the name yet again.

Warheads, great game. :shobon: http://www.warheads.net/

GaoGaoStegosaurus posted:

Yup. This is the one. I would dearly love to fire her up once again for some triangle-action.

At least I now have an ally in my quest.

Just wondering, but was the game windowed like it was on Windows OS or was it DOS? My brother and I can't seem to recall anymore but he's starting to lean towards windowed. Also was the triangle you controlled blue and the enemy gold? The color was probably just preferences and stuff though. I also remember that you could buy weapons too so gently caress what are we going to do man? I'm dying for this game haha.

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord

Social Animal posted:

Just wondering, but was the game windowed like it was on Windows OS or was it DOS? My brother and I can't seem to recall anymore but he's starting to lean towards windowed. Also was the triangle you controlled blue and the enemy gold? The color was probably just preferences and stuff though. I also remember that you could buy weapons too so gently caress what are we going to do man? I'm dying for this game haha.

I'm pretty sure the game was for windows 3.1 because when we were watching our older brother play, he was multitasking. I'm also sure it was 3.1 since if it was 95, he would have been playing duke nukem or warcraft 2. I asked him what the name of the game was many years later and he said specter. I'm not sure if he mistakenly thought I was referring to spectre VR.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
alright I've got one.

Had a game that came in one of those shareware 100+ games packs from staples, years and years ago. it might have been a 300 Great Games disc? anyway the game was called solarium, solaris, solar something, it had a map of a bunch of planets or stars, probably stars, and a ship that jumped between them. it was a top down view, you had a fuel gauge. that's really all i can remember, i was really young. this was around the early-mid nineties? I doubt anyone remembers it but it haunts me to this day that i could never really do well in it, I was too young to understand it. I want to give it a try now and see if I can win or if it just sucked.

Captain Hilarious
Jan 3, 2006
hello what

jimjob posted:

I have two games I can't remember the name of. Both were circa mid-90's, the one was on SNES. It was alot like Mario Kart but I remember on the battle mode of this game it was alot like sumo wrestling where you had to push the opponents off the edge of the course. I believe there was a racing side to the game but I was really young so my memory is hazy. The other one, I remember playing on my uncle's pc, was a big maze with blue and pink mice running around. The goal was to kill all the mice with an array of wacky weapons but when a blue and a pink mouse would go underneath cover they would make a funny noise and mate... resulting in more mice to kill. Anyone have any clue as to what these games were?

Street Racer and... god drat it I know that second one.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Bareback Rodeo posted:

What's it called?
Stargate? There was a licensed game on the SNES and Genesis based on the movie, it's a side-scroller, and you fight Anubis in a boss fight.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/stargate_
It was pretty cool.

jimjob
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Hilarious posted:

Street Racer and... god drat it I know that second one.

Sweet it was street racer. Still need to know about the other game in case anyone has any clues. Thanks!

pud
Jul 9, 2001

EjectButton posted:

I remember playing an arcade game in the mid 90s. Was an isometric adventure game, 1-2 players. All I really remember was that there was a level where you were walking around outside in a castle riding a tiger and you could make the tiger jump up on enemies and then spin around their neck decapitating them.

Tecmo Knight.

Windski
Sep 6, 2005

... am I sayin' MEOW?
There was this strange RPG I played a while back on the gameboy, all I can remember is that one of the NPCs says "You singed my hair!" Good luck with that one :( I think maybe you started out in a castle, but could explore other areas afterwards. It seemed like a very obscure game.

Windski fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 17, 2008

boof
Jun 3, 2001

teamdest posted:

alright I've got one.

Had a game that came in one of those shareware 100+ games packs from staples, years and years ago. it might have been a 300 Great Games disc? anyway the game was called solarium, solaris, solar something, it had a map of a bunch of planets or stars, probably stars, and a ship that jumped between them. it was a top down view, you had a fuel gauge. that's really all i can remember, i was really young. this was around the early-mid nineties? I doubt anyone remembers it but it haunts me to this day that i could never really do well in it, I was too young to understand it. I want to give it a try now and see if I can win or if it just sucked.

Probably Solar Winds.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
This was another Genesis game I played in my childhood. Basically you were like a fox/cat pirate guy, and you attacked by jumping and doing a sword slash attack. I think the second level was a pirate ship.

The storyline revolved around you trying to rescue some girl. And that's all I can remember.

The other one was a Jurassic Park game that was because a complete overhaul of the other JP Genesis game. There were new enemies, tons of guns, and the game was an absolute blast. I think it was called Jurassic Park: Outbreak or something but I can't remember.

EjectButton
Jun 13, 2003

gift from heaven

pud posted:

Tecmo Knight.

Wow yeah that's it, looks pretty bloody for an old game.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Kinkify posted:

There was this strange RPG I played a while back on the gameboy, all I can remember is that one of the NPCs says "You singed my hair!" Good luck with that one :( I think maybe you started out in a castle, but could explore other areas afterwards. It seemed like a very obscure game.
Final Fantasy Adventure maybe? I remember you started in a castle for that (you were a prisoner or something), but I certainly can't remember the dialog.

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008

Pheener posted:

As Captain Duck said, this was UT2k4, and only in certain maps. It looks pretty cool, though.

This could be Taskmaker, or maybe even Exile. Most likely, though, it's Realmz. Or a couple of other things, really... are you sure it was a normal roguelike? Most of those have all been ported to other systems.

Thanks so much its Realmz.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

SpaceBees posted:

This was another Genesis game I played in my childhood. Basically you were like a fox/cat pirate guy, and you attacked by jumping and doing a sword slash attack. I think the second level was a pirate ship.

The storyline revolved around you trying to rescue some girl. And that's all I can remember.

The other one was a Jurassic Park game that was because a complete overhaul of the other JP Genesis game. There were new enemies, tons of guns, and the game was an absolute blast. I think it was called Jurassic Park: Outbreak or something but I can't remember.

Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition, you mean?

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

quote:

Throne of Darkness
Thanks guys, this is it!

Kilauea
Aug 17, 2008
Maybe someone can help me figure this out. I've been trying to figure out the name of this game for a really long time. I must have played it something like 10 years ago, it was for PC. You built a castle and I remember training archers and maybe some footsoldiers to defend the castle against attack. It was really fun but I didnt get too long to play it since it wasn't on my computer. Been trying to remember the name ever since.

I thought it was Stronghold but its simply not the same game at all.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

quote:

Maybe someone can help me figure this out. I've been trying to figure out the name of this game for a really long time. I must have played it something like 10 years ago, it was for PC. You built a castle and I remember training archers and maybe some footsoldiers to defend the castle against attack. It was really fun but I didnt get too long to play it since it wasn't on my computer. Been trying to remember the name ever since.

I thought it was Stronghold but its simply not the same game at all.

Interplay had two games that fit the basic story there: Castles and Castles II, I think both were set in Wales and more or less followed the history of the Angles and/or Saxons (my history knowledge sucks) vs. the Picts, and the construction of castles to subdue the countryside. Fundamentally the goal in each stage was to finish building the damned castle without getting run off by marauding Picts. It was less RTS and more focused on managing to keep your books well enough you could afford enough troops to keep the Picts from tearing poo poo up, keep paying the guys building the castle, and yet still get the castle built fast enough. You spent far more time micromanaging piddly poo poo details of castle administration that you did brawling with Picts, and IIRC, you had no way to direct your units at all in battle; you got to pick where they started and from there they did their thing.

An option from the same time period that I remember playing fondly: Siege (from the people who did the Magic Candle series, Siege was nominally set in the Magic Candle world, IIRC, although it didn't really matter) which was sort of a proto-RTS; There were two teams, one that was attacking a castle and the other was supposed to defend the castle. Would've been great multiplayer, but it was human vs. CPU only and the CPU was kind of dumb. The gameplay was almost entirely centered around forming and deploying units. You could only give units general commands in battle like "hold" "retreat" etc and they'd do their best to follow your orders.

As far as Stronghold goes, there were two different games that went by that name; One was an early 90s D&D licensed game where you built towns/castles/forts full of 1st level D&D guys, who would level up, capture new territory, and clobber monsters and could be the game you're thinking of. Like Siege it was more or less an RTS game prior to anyone calling games by that moniker. The other Stronghold came out much later (2001) and was more of a traditional RTS game as the genre had been better established by then.

chairface fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 18, 2008

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision
Lets see..this might be a tough one as I barely remember anything about the game.

It was a 3D fighter on the N64..the one thing i remembered about it is I think there was some sort of mechanic where you played as the fighters when they were kids and when they were adults. I want to say it was like that for all the characters but im not sure. It might have just been one. The only other things I remember is an anime artstyle. (It might have been based on a manga or something)

Extremely vague but it's bugging the hell out of me.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Rudger posted:

Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition, you mean?

Yes! God that game was awesome. Its a shame it will probably never end up on Wii virtual console. :/

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
There was an RPG that came as a demo on either the Galaxy of Games Volume 2 disc or a disc called "1000+ Great Games." When it started out you were thrown into a portal which I think dumped you into a prison under the surface of the earth. You couldn't progress beyond a certain point in the demo because of a big rift in the earth you couldn't cross.

I don't remember anything else about the game clearly enough to be helpful, but it was a lot of fun.

Kilauea
Aug 17, 2008

chairface posted:

Castles and Castles II

Thank you, this is it! Well, the original Castles. Seems like a pretty obvious name I have no clue why I couldn't remember it. Played it at a summer camp type place, looking at the release date of the game I must have been around 6 or 7 years old.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Amphetama posted:

Lets see..this might be a tough one as I barely remember anything about the game.

It was a 3D fighter on the N64..the one thing i remembered about it is I think there was some sort of mechanic where you played as the fighters when they were kids and when they were adults. I want to say it was like that for all the characters but im not sure. It might have just been one. The only other things I remember is an anime artstyle. (It might have been based on a manga or something)

Extremely vague but it's bugging the hell out of me.
Only one that I think might be close is Deadly Arts

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

There was an RPG that came as a demo on either the Galaxy of Games Volume 2 disc or a disc called "1000+ Great Games." When it started out you were thrown into a portal which I think dumped you into a prison under the surface of the earth. You couldn't progress beyond a certain point in the demo because of a big rift in the earth you couldn't cross.

It could be the demo for Avernum/Exile.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Bieeardo posted:

It could be the demo for Avernum/Exile.

Yes it was Exile! I've seen it brought up dozens of times here and never realized it was the same game I loved back as a kid.

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision

SubtleDagger posted:

Only one that I think might be close is Deadly Arts

I don't think so. I do think it kind of had stiff controls though.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Amphetama posted:

I don't think so. I do think it kind of had stiff controls though.

Flying Dragon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision

Red Red Blue posted:

Flying Dragon?

gently caress yeah! That's it for sure. Thanks :D