Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

menki
Jun 19, 2010

jrosesn posted:

I only played the game for a few hours one day years ago, so it'd hard to remember anything about it that I can confidently say is true. I'll try elaborate a bit though.

- Can't remember.
- I'll say small fleet. Was played top down 2D and the playing area was sort of like a chessboard, x wide by x high with the outside of the square being the boundries and a grid over it. Though I can't remember if you could move freely or only on those tiles.
- No.
- Can't remember.
- Can't remember
- I'd lean towards black with speckled stars given that I remember it being very low fi.
- Can't remember.
- I think it was more of just a DM-y strategy, so I'll go with no.
- Can't remember.
- Can't remember.
- Mouse and keyboard.
- Almost certain it was a demo, and didn't download many demos at the time so probably from PC gamer or some other UK magazine. That'sj ust an assumption from the rough time I played it though.

Apologies for being so vague about it.

Space Empires 4, perhaps? Or an earlier game in the series? Has the whole lo-fi thing going on and loves its square grid (although none of the screenshots on their site have it on). It is a full-on 4X though, not much small scale about it.

http://www.malfador.com/se4.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

A game maybe sometime in the early-mid 2000's I played a demo of on Cnet. It was very much like Majesty, where you ran a kingdom but your heroes kind of did their own thing, it was kind of simmy with management of heroes buying their own gold. It has been awhile so details are shoddy.

Any games on PC that are like majesty at all would be a good way to start.

Could be Medieval Conquest, a Majesty-knockoff from about that time. Wasn't very good though.

Robotic_Towel
Sep 1, 2005

Not Machine Washable

That's the one! I love you so much.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
A PC game that was probably made around 1995-1997. Right around the time Death Drone, Hyperblade, and maybe Daggerfall came out. I've only played the Demo of the game and it was a side scrolling shooter that could be played split screen. One player controls a human and the other controls a alien of some sort. You walked around and enters doors till you found the other player and killed one another.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Mr Cynicism posted:

A PC game that was probably made around 1995-1997. Right around the time Death Drone, Hyperblade, and maybe Daggerfall came out. I've only played the Demo of the game and it was a side scrolling shooter that could be played split screen. One player controls a human and the other controls a alien of some sort. You walked around and enters doors till you found the other player and killed one another.
Sounds like Hunter Hunted.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

Thats it. Thank you!

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
I'm trying to find a 3rd person PC game with N64-level graphics. You play as a blue-haired guy with psychic powers. There were powers that shot an energy ball or a bunch of smaller homing balls. There were also powers that raised or lowered the terrain or jump high and run fast. I remember there was one level with a trench you go through and fight a plant boss and the boss of the game was a bunch of roots that come after you like tentacles in a forest level. There was also a magma level with a bunch of plateaus. You went around collecting something. I think it was made by one person.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dinosaur Satan posted:

I'm trying to find a 3rd person PC game with N64-level graphics. You play as a blue-haired guy with psychic powers. There were powers that shot an energy ball or a bunch of smaller homing balls. There were also powers that raised or lowered the terrain or jump high and run fast. I remember there was one level with a trench you go through and fight a plant boss and the boss of the game was a bunch of roots that come after you like tentacles in a forest level. There was also a magma level with a bunch of plateaus. You went around collecting something. I think it was made by one person.

Caster

Caenum
Apr 25, 2003

Caenum posted:

Every so often I remember I needed to download a game and never remember the name.

Here are the facts:
1. It is first person game.
2. It is a "survival roguelike".
3. It takes place on an island, kind of like Robinson Crusoe.

Heres what I think may be true:
1. The graphics may be "low-fi 3d" graphics.
2. The title screen may be a sunset.
3. It is freeware

Anyone got any ideas? Now when I search for "roguelike island survival" I just get a bunch of silly Minecraft links. :\

Answer:

Caenum fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 26, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Robinson's Requiem or its sequel Deus.

VVV Oh, well. I was banking on you misremembering that part. :shrug:

scamtank fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 26, 2013

Caenum
Apr 25, 2003

scamtank posted:

Robinson's Requiem or its sequel Deus.
Both of these look like actually released games, albeit old.

From what I remember you could download it off the internet as freeware, and it was less a game and more of a "could you survive on an island with nothing but coconuts?" type scenario.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
Stranded or Stranded 2 maybe?

Caenum
Apr 25, 2003

This was it! Thanks! =)

Caenum
Apr 25, 2003

quote =! edit

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
I'm looking for a really old (late 90's/early 00's) WWI arcade flight sim. I barely remember a thing about it, but for some reason the music's still stuck in my head. One of the few things I still remember is that the last mission of the Central Powers' campaign featured the famous Fokker Triplane, but apart from that, nada.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

oscarthewilde posted:

I'm looking for a really old (late 90's/early 00's) WWI arcade flight sim. I barely remember a thing about it, but for some reason the music's still stuck in my head. One of the few things I still remember is that the last mission of the Central Powers' campaign featured the famous Fokker Triplane, but apart from that, nada.
The game you're looking for is most likely listed here: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/historical-conflict-world-war-i-/offset,25/so,1d/

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oscarthewilde posted:

really old (late 90's/early 00's)

I feel so old.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Here's one for you: I remember this SNES game, it had an isometric view. If I recall correctly, the background was often a black expanse, and there were just a lot of geometric shapes. I think you played as a ball or something navigating a stage of cubes and ramps and other things. Beyond that I don't remember too much.

I don't THINK it was Marble Madness, which would have been on Genesis (it's possible I'm thinking of this game, but I REALLY strongly remember it being on the SNES).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lupus Rufus posted:

Here's one for you: I remember this SNES game, it had an isometric view. If I recall correctly, the background was often a black expanse, and there were just a lot of geometric shapes. I think you played as a ball or something navigating a stage of cubes and ramps and other things. Beyond that I don't remember too much.

I don't THINK it was Marble Madness, which would have been on Genesis (it's possible I'm thinking of this game, but I REALLY strongly remember it being on the SNES).

Spindizzy Worlds, maybe?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
YES! This is it, thank you so much! =D

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This is less the name of a game, but it's game-related and I can't find a more appropriate place to ask.

Years and years ago, somebody wrote a lengthy, ambitious, detailed FAQ/walkthrough for Final Fantasy 3/6 that was completely fake. A 3rd world, tons of fake characters including the obvious Kefka/Leo to more elaborate ones like Mega Man X, all detailed and with their own movesets etc. I can't seem to find it anywhere, and I'd love to dig it up; it was so detailed and crazy that it actually made for a really entertaining read.

Irascalopolator
Jun 17, 2003

Those were called FWAKs and they were all the rage on alt.games.final-fantasy back in 1996. Try Google Groups, you may be able to dig some up.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Okay, I *think* I've might have asked this one before, but I don't remember.

I remember playing a game when I was a kid that you controlled a character and you had to find the keys in order to unlock the exit that was hidden on the map.

It's very fuzzy except for the last "stage" where you control a giant suit of armor made of the parts who had been collecting in the previous stages. You controlled it by stepping on the arrows above it and you had to navigate your wait past these birds with bells to unlock the three doors that was guarding the dragon on the next screen. If you touched a bird, it would ring and return you back to the beginning of that screen.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm not sure if this one has been asked before but I'll give it a shot anyway. I recall playing a game during the 90's on my cousins PC where you were the commander of a space station and it's flightwing, stationed near an enemy empire border. You were haunted by your old commander and you had several different pilots with their own personality that you had to manage. You were also rewarded with better equipment depending on how well you handled the missions.

Do anyone recognize this game?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 6, 2013

the_FERRET
Dec 3, 2008
I'm trying to track down a game I fondly remember from my childhood, so far without luck.

The games was either played on C64 or 386, surprisingly I can't remember exactly. The premise of the game was that you were stranded on a deserted island, and the objective of the game was to build a ship and escape the island before a great storm hits. The challenge came from balancing the time spent building the boat, as well as collecting water from a well, and gathering gold from a nearby mine to take with you when you escape for additional points.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone here? Help is greatly appreciated!

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar
Sounds like the C64 game "Island".
http://www.google.com/search?q=c64+island

the_FERRET
Dec 3, 2008
Had a quick look around, unfortunately that's not it. The view was top-down on the island, it took a certain amount of time? to move from the well, or to the mine, or to the shipbuilding area. So you had to make sure you had enough water or something to move between locations but also get the ship built. I think you were in control of a number of people.

edit: Found it! Gold-Dust Island. Thanks!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

My girlfriend(!) showed me a werewolves vs. humans multiplayer deathmatch game a while back but neither of us can remember the name of it and I can't seem to find it on Steam at all. All I can remember is that it looked similar to Vampires vs. Humans and the other classic HL1/2 deathmatch games and that the werewolves could infect the human players rather than outright butchering them to turn them into werewolves too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I can't remember anything about this game other than that the main character was a kid with a dog named Whisky and it would have been in videogame magazines around 1997. Anyone have a clue?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I can't remember anything about this game other than that the main character was a kid with a dog named Whisky and it would have been in videogame magazines around 1997. Anyone have a clue?

Heart of Darkness, the most violent E rated game ever conceived.

GreenDream
Jun 2, 2003

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?
This one has been bugging me for awhile. I remember seeing a game previewed in a magazine in the mid to late 90's for either the Saturn or the 3DO. It looked like a super anime colourful Zelda clone. I think there was an area set in the branches of a tree and you got a pair of shoes that made you heavy so you could drop through floors. There was also a blonde princess who'd been turned into a duck or a swan. I can't remember if the dialogue in the screencaps was in English or Japanese so there's a chance it never even got localised and just dropped off the radar completely.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GreenDream posted:

This one has been bugging me for awhile. I remember seeing a game previewed in a magazine in the mid to late 90's for either the Saturn or the 3DO. It looked like a super anime colourful Zelda clone. I think there was an area set in the branches of a tree and you got a pair of shoes that made you heavy so you could drop through floors. There was also a blonde princess who'd been turned into a duck or a swan. I can't remember if the dialogue in the screencaps was in English or Japanese so there's a chance it never even got localised and just dropped off the radar completely.

Popful Mail?

GreenDream
Jun 2, 2003

Close, but no. It had a male protagonist and a top-down perspective.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GreenDream posted:

Close, but no. It had a male protagonist and a top-down perspective.

The only games in this style I can think of for Saturn is The Legend of Oasis and Magic Knight Rayearth which seems to fit your description the best (blond princess, cute anime style, drop through floors) but you play as three women.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

GreenDream posted:

Alundra maybe?

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

GreenDream posted:

Shining Wisdom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz2Wf387XFU

GreenDream
Jun 2, 2003

BAM! There it is. Thank you :)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I remember playing this Chinese computer game about a decade ago. It's basically summed up as The Game of Life, except with demons. Basically, you roll dice to move along a game board representing stages in your character's life, from grade school to employment, or something like that. Also, you're fighting demons along the way. Then at the end, you fight the demon king on top of a skyscraper.
I don't remember much about the battle system. It was turn-based, I think? It might have had something similar to an ATB system. I just remember there being a shield ability that was useless.
There were mini-games as well. I remember one where you had to light a fire to scare away a monster.

It was weird and Chinese, anyone know anything about it?

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I vaguely remember playing a Japanese/Samurai-themed Diablo clone in the late 90s/early 00s on the PC, but I can't recall any details. Any help? I imagine there aren't many of that specific sort.