Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
There was a game, a text based MS-DOS RPG where you had to type commands, like north, south, east, west. I think other commands were context based and you had to guess if you could use them or not given what was on the screen or what you had in the inventory. I was too young to really understand it at the time and would always die or get bored in the first few screens. My memory of it is purple and green, and had something to do with goblins. Also a cobbled road. I'm fairly sure it was made in the 80s, possibly early 1990s, but I think it was before 1992.

Every so often I search the internet to see if I can work it out, and while I've worked out every other obscure game my Dad let me play in the 80s, this one still eludes me. I know the info I give is pretty broad and could apply to many games, but I'd really like to work this one out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Konsek posted:

There was a game, a text based MS-DOS RPG where you had to type commands, like north, south, east, west. I think other commands were context based and you had to guess if you could use them or not given what was on the screen or what you had in the inventory. I was too young to really understand it at the time and would always die or get bored in the first few screens. My memory of it is purple and green, and had something to do with goblins. Also a cobbled road. I'm fairly sure it was made in the 80s, possibly early 1990s, but I think it was before 1992.

Every so often I search the internet to see if I can work it out, and while I've worked out every other obscure game my Dad let me play in the 80s, this one still eludes me. I know the info I give is pretty broad and could apply to many games, but I'd really like to work this one out!

You’ve just described the entire genre of Interactive Fiction games. It’s probably Zork, but otherwise check out Infocom’s catalog and I’m sure it’s in there

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

You’ve just described the entire genre of Interactive Fiction games. It’s probably Zork, but otherwise check out Infocom’s catalog and I’m sure it’s in there

Zork didn't have any graphics, let alone purple and green ones.

I would have guessed one of the early AGI games like King's Quest or The Black Cauldron, or something similar of that era; those had CGA or EGA graphics in the top half of the screen showing what was going on, and a text interface for entering commands in the bottom half.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Konsek posted:

This might be Demon's Forge (very purple and green palette) or Knight Orc (orcs/goblin stuff, road trippy).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 21, 2018

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember much about this game but here is the little I do know
The first stage you are in is in France, your character is an edgelord if I remember correctly, and they use a spear.
I remember one scene where you are hiding in the rafters of a church.
There is also a set piece where you fight zombies in a tiny graveyard.
I believe it was on PS1/2 or Dreamcast but I am not sure.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Hey guys, looking for help with what I think was a Japanese arcade title.

This was a game that was similar in vein to Power Stone, but I think it may have had 6 players simultaneously. I also remember the perspective being pulled out further than Power Stone.

I don't really remember much other than that. I believe it may have been a Naomi/Atomiswave era game, but maybe later than that, on a Taito Type X platform or something.

I also believe the title was not natural english at all, just phoneticized japanese.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Senior Scarybagels posted:

The first stage you are in is in France, your character is an edgelord if I remember correctly, and they use a spear.

Nightmare Creatures maybe? I think that took place in Europe.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Retro Futurist posted:

I know, as I said, I realise I was painting a very broad picture and I realise my memory is very vague. Really the only text I remember is an early screen about going on a cobbled road. It isn't Zork but thank you for the suggestion to try out Infocom, also now knowing the specific name of the genre as Interactive Fiction may help me. I think with how little I remember this may well be lost to me.

Neo Rasa posted:

This might be Demon's Forge (very purple and green palette) or Knight Orc (orcs/goblin stuff, road trippy).

ToxicFrog posted:

Zork didn't have any graphics, let alone purple and green ones.

I would have guessed one of the early AGI games like King's Quest or The Black Cauldron, or something similar of that era; those had CGA or EGA graphics in the top half of the screen showing what was going on, and a text interface for entering commands in the bottom half.

Thank you for the replies. Either there were no graphics, or they were so minimal I don't remember them. I meant the UI was purple/green.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Konsek posted:

I know, as I said, I realise I was painting a very broad picture and I realise my memory is very vague. Really the only text I remember is an early screen about going on a cobbled road. It isn't Zork but thank you for the suggestion to try out Infocom, also now knowing the specific name of the genre as Interactive Fiction may help me. I think with how little I remember this may well be lost to me.

Thank you for the replies. Either there were no graphics, or they were so minimal I don't remember them. I meant the UI was purple/green.

Oh, ok. In that case that broadens the field considerably, especially since a lot of IF games don't specify a colour scheme and will just adopt the default for whatever system you're playing on.

That said, your mention of cobblestones makes me wonder something. I'd be surprised if it was this since it's really obvious, but just in case, does this look familiar?

quote:

At End Of Road
You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.

[...a bit of gameplay as you grab keys, food, a brass lamp, and a bottle from the house, then walk downstream and open a gate...]

In Cobble Crawl
You are crawling over cobbles in a low passage. There is a dim light at the east end of the passage.

There is a small wicker cage discarded nearby.

If so, the game you're thinking of is Colossal Cave Adventure, often just Adventure or ADVENT, the original text adventure. It's had many variations over the years, and at least one of them (the UWaterloo 550-point version, developed in 79 and released more widely in 86) featured goblins as a hazard. At least some versions of it were ported to DOS.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Trying to remember an old 2D platformer where you played as, iirc, a mailman. The first stage was in an urban setting and you could step on electrical wiring above poles.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Somehow this reminds me of Vagrant Story a little bit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sounds like the dude with the staff you can play as in Nightmare Creatures.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Konsek posted:

This actually sounds super familiar to me. There was an 80s interactive fiction game called, I believe, "The Quest" or something super similar (and as such, impossible to Google for) but in it you always started on a cobbled road. It did have some minimal graphics and was notoriously hard to make it past the beginning.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

precision posted:

This actually sounds super familiar to me. There was an 80s interactive fiction game called, I believe, "The Quest" or something super similar (and as such, impossible to Google for) but in it you always started on a cobbled road. It did have some minimal graphics and was notoriously hard to make it past the beginning.

It's not that hard to google for. And it did indeed get ported to DOS.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Max Coveri posted:

Trying to remember an old 2D platformer where you played as, iirc, a mailman. The first stage was in an urban setting and you could step on electrical wiring above poles.

What system/era?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Konsek posted:

I know you said it was DOS, but composite colour fringing on the Apple 2 made UI elements have purple and green fringing (see the Mystery House screeshot at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_artifact_colors). Are you mis-remembering what system it was on?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What system/era?

PC, and like my earlier request, I played it in the early 2000s. It might've had pixel art graphics.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A friend of mine is looking for a game he played and can't remember it:

• Old game (probably at least 7+ years, probably more)
  • Online Game
  • 2D, Top-Down (think GTA1 Top-Down (as in, you only saw the top of characters, not top down where you see their side like in Zelda 1), but not the same art style)
  • You spin your character (360 degrees) and attack into the direction they are facing. I don't recall if you turned via keys or if it pointed towards the mouse cursor
  • You selected a character to play as, which also determined your class. For example there was a Swordsman, the Elf Girl used bows
  • You played through stages, not a big connected world
  • Similar to games like Lunia
  • There were various monsters to fight, like Skeletons, or a forest stage with Owls, etc
  • There was some kinda PvP-ish stage on Frozen Ice

Edit: It's a real-time/actiony game, not turn-based.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 12, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a game he played and can't remember it:

• Old game (probably at least 7+ years, probably more)
  • Online Game
  • 2D, Top-Down (think GTA1 Top-Down (as in, you only saw the top of characters, not top down where you see their side like in Zelda 1), but not the same art style)
  • You spin your character (360 degrees) and attack into the direction they are facing. I don't recall if you turned via keys or if it pointed towards the mouse cursor
  • You selected a character to play as, which also determined your class. For example there was a Swordsman, the Elf Girl used bows
  • You played through stages, not a big connected world
  • Similar to games like Lunia
  • There were various monsters to fight, like Skeletons, or a forest stage with Owls, etc
  • There was some kinda PvP-ish stage on Frozen Ice

Edit: It's a real-time/actiony game, not turn-based.

Did it have both a dude with one sword and maybe a shield... and an edgier guy with 2 swords? If so I know the game, but I also forgot the name completely sadly :/

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

He found the game. It was this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOcApTo1Yw

Yeah his memory was wrong on a couple points.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, yeah, that's the game I was thinking of too! Though apparently the "edgy" guy didn't have two swords. You brought the game up, but I guess I should be thanking you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NES game. It may or may not have come out in English, idk. I may be conflating two different games but I'll tell you what I remember:

The most prominent thing I remember is the first scene takes place on a train. There's a woman trapped in the front of the train visible through a glass room and you're running across it fighting enemies to reach it. Now, I also remember this game shifting to a top-down RPG which leads me to think the sidescrolling sections were more Dragonslayer action-RPG sequences and then you had more traditional top down moments, idk.

I think Toei may have had a hand in it because I vaguely remember puss in boots or a similar Toei style mascot.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

al-azad posted:

NES game. It may or may not have come out in English, idk. I may be conflating two different games but I'll tell you what I remember:

The most prominent thing I remember is the first scene takes place on a train. There's a woman trapped in the front of the train visible through a glass room and you're running across it fighting enemies to reach it. Now, I also remember this game shifting to a top-down RPG which leads me to think the sidescrolling sections were more Dragonslayer action-RPG sequences and then you had more traditional top down moments, idk.

I think Toei may have had a hand in it because I vaguely remember puss in boots or a similar Toei style mascot.
Challenger?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pentaro posted:

Challenger?

Yep. What a weird game.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I remember renting an NES Mario game that was probably some kind of bootleg romhack. The only details I remember are that a level had a poison 1UP mushroom that killed you, and that the insert for the rental case was pink.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it wasnt The Lost Levels, the less famous SMB sequel?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

It might have been, but I played the SNES version of that at some point and concluded it wasn’t the game I remembered. There was also no official NES release of it, but I don’t know about bootlegs.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

IIRC poison mushrooms were also a thing in Great Gianna Sisters hacks to make them look even more like SMB1. Maybe look up youtubes of GGS & SMB-hacks for GGS?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I’m pretty sure it started life as a Mario game, it was spot-on in terms of look and feel.

Watching an LP of TLL, it still doesn’t fit my recollection, but I’d be willing to chalk it up to the vagaries of memory if there was some way for me to have been playing it on an NES cartridge in that timeframe.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lazyhound posted:

I remember renting an NES Mario game that was probably some kind of bootleg romhack. The only details I remember are that a level had a poison 1UP mushroom that killed you, and that the insert for the rental case was pink.

Maybe this one, Super Bros. 4? It's a bootleg of the Lost Levels on a cart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avPF2TwluiI

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

The mushrooms look super weird in that, though.

It looks like there were pirate Famicom cartridges of TLL available, so I’m going to assume someone dumped it to an NES cart and it found its way into my hands in rural nowhere.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Trying to remember a PC game from the mid 90s. Pretty sure it was Windows 95 and DOS compatible.

It was like Asteroids but full 3d movement in a big spherical arena, and there were other ships trying to kill you on most (all?) levels. Like Asteroids, the asteroids would break up into smaller and smaller pieces when you shot them, and you could collect money tokens from them when you blew them up. You could spend money between levels to upgrade your guns and shields etc. You could also eject from your ship if you were going to die (dying was a game over) but that'd mean having to spend money on a new ship. The soundtrack featured Pop Will Eat Itself and Sugar Ray.

If I'm not mixing up memories, it also came with these special 3d glasses. They're not like modern polarised ones but they're not the old red/blue things either. The graphics weren't much better than Descent but the 3d effect was really impressive for the time.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
https://www.mobygames.com/game/nihilist

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Oh wow yeah that's much uglier than I remember. Thanks!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Ok a couple games trying to remember from when I was younger. Would be around the late 90s early 2000s for most of these.

First game was about a kid, it was the sort of static-scene game with animated characters running around the frame a-la Another World, but much more kid focused. The enemies were a sort of shadow creature that would goop out of shadows and whatnot.

Second game was another platformer that may have been earlier, I remember it being very similar in style and around the same time (or a little more modern) as the early Prince of Persia game but having scifi weapons and a spaceship/sci fi car that I think transports the protagonist back in time and you need to get back to it.

Third game was an RTS that I can remember clearly the starting video but the name of the game is JUST out of my reach. Sci-fi RTS, with three factions but one was just a mix of the other two. The starting video was following two dog fighting fighters (one looks like sort of flying half circle) as they fly across a battlefield before blowing up a big laser/radar disc weapon that's pointing into space. Video ends with a bomb being dropped/fired at the planet from orbit that destroys the planet in a typical ring of fire explosion. It's driving me nuts.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Spiteski posted:

First game was about a kid, it was the sort of static-scene game with animated characters running around the frame a-la Another World, but much more kid focused. The enemies were a sort of shadow creature that would goop out of shadows and whatnot.

heart of darkness is 100 million times more ruthless than another world

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Spiteski posted:

Sounds like Heart of Darkness.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

heart of darkness is 100 million times more ruthless than another world

That's the one!
Is it? I'm about to watch a complete playthrough now so I'll see, but I seem to remember it being a bit more... kid friendly?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Double post but:

Holy poo poo I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it ain't named after the book Apocalypse Now was based on for nothing