Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cleuseau Remos posted:

Apple II

Kind of a 49rs theme text mode game where you buy mining supplies and dig or pan for gold. Part I remember the most is a spinning cursor as you dig. At the end it would tell you if you made money or starved to death.

Played in my math class in the early 80s with Math Blaster.

I'd love to play this today. I've hit a lot of AppleII archive sites and never seen it. Just want to starve to death again.

Oregon Trail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleuseau Remos
Apr 13, 2024

Probably it! Thanks for finding it. Now I just need to find a copy.

Many thanks.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Cleuseau Remos posted:

Probably it! Thanks for finding it. Now I just need to find a copy.

Many thanks.

Here ya go.

https://archive.org/details/GOLDFIELDS

Cleuseau Remos
Apr 13, 2024
Now that I played it..... I'm not sure this is it. It could be though I remember it being very time consuming and nobody had enough computer time to finish it. There was just the one computer in our math class.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Cleuseau Remos posted:

Apple II

Kind of a 49rs theme text mode game where you buy mining supplies and dig or pan for gold. Part I remember the most is a spinning cursor as you dig. At the end it would tell you if you made money or starved to death.

Played in my math class in the early 80s with Math Blaster.

I'd love to play this today. I've hit a lot of AppleII archive sites and never seen it. Just want to starve to death again.

How much text was it? 100%? Mostly with some graphics?

Since it was school I'd point at Miner's Cave first, that was a MECC game from back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6qOCIXyC9g

Cleuseau Remos
Apr 13, 2024
I thought it could be by MECC but Miners Cave is not it. The mining part was moving a spinning cursor into a wall. like - backspace \ backspace | backspace / backspace repeat.

Goldfields is the closest so far but that overview map I'm pretty sure I would have remembered. It was the only game so far you could goldpan or mine with a pick.

Anyway, fun stuff, thanks for digging around everyone.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am trying to remember the name of a game but I just cannot. It is a space game I never finished. It is not Starsector but it was like Starsector.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/

It was a completed game, not in early access where you controlled (I think only) a single ship from a top down perspective like Starsector and travel around space on a big rear end map for some grand quest.

It was not Space Rangers nor SPAZ and I played it at some point in the last year years when it was still somewhat new. I saw a video referencing Starsector and was reminded of "Oh that space game like it I enjoyed but never finished..." yet now I can't remember it! I do not believe there was any base building and am not certain if you could bring other ships with you and only control one at a time. If I recall correctly your ship had some special ability to travel in a way others could not... which was also a plot point in Starsector but it was not Starsector. I think you end up stranded in some part of space far away from wherever you came from right at the start but am not 100% sure, but I believe you did?

Any ideas what it may have been?

Thank you very much!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 16, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Diogines posted:

I am trying to remember the name of a game but I just cannot. It is a space game I never finished. It is not Starsector but it was like Starsector.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/

It was a completed game, not in early access where you controlled (I think only) a single ship from a top down perspective like Starsector and travel around space on a big rear end map for some grand quest.

It was not Space Rangers nor SPAZ and I played it at some point in the last year years when it was still somewhat new. I saw a video referencing Starsector and was reminded of "Oh that space game like it I enjoyed but never finished..." yet now I can't remember it! I do not believe there was any base building and am not certain if you could bring other ships with you and only control one at a time. If I recall correctly your ship had some special ability to travel in a way others could not... which was also a plot point in Starsector but it was not Starsector.

Any ideas what it may have been?

Thank you very much!

Transcendence, maybe

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 16, 2024

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I just looked that up, that was not it, although I do think I played that at some point, but never beat it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endless Sky?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I do not think that was it either.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Even if it isn't Starcom: Nexus you should play that game, because it's very good.

Do you remember any details beyond what you've already said? When did you play it? What were the graphics like? Was it fast-paced, slow? Did you interact with planets much, and if so in what way?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Naev or Starcom: Nexus?

https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Space%20Sim/

If it's on Steam, you can play around with the tag system. Not sure how to share a link with the tag filters applied but adding "Top-Down" and "Exploration" narrows it down to 25 or so.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

The only other top down starship game I can think of is Starscape

https://store.steampowered.com/app/20700/Starscape/

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Even if it isn't Starcom: Nexus you should play that game, because it's very good. Do you remember any details beyond what you've already said?
As I think about it more I am almost certain you wind up in some distant area from where you start and are stranded there... and you were not 100% alone, I think you had a crew? But I am not totally sure.

Also as I look at this link... I think this may have been it, but am still not sure.

In Starcom did you have some kind of ability to travel which was strange by the standards of wherever you were stranded?

When did you play it?
At some point in the last 10 years, I am not sure certain beyond that.

What were the graphics like?
Hard to describe? I *THINK* you could travel in real time between systems if you wanted to. There may have been other options available but I recall you could just fly off the edge of a system and keep going if you wanted and that tied into exploration so sometimes you could find stuff by just stumbling into it. That I do remember being a part of it. Is that a thing in Starcom?

Was it fast-paced, slow?
I don't remember.

Did you interact with planets much, and if so in what way?
I... don't recall but I am sure the entire game took place in space in that you never actually spent a lot of time doing stuff on planets, though it is possible you may have interacted with them.

koolkal posted:

Naev or Starcom: Nexus?
Not Naev.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Could it be Wazzal?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

After thinking about this further I am pretty sure it was Starcom, so, thanks TooMuchAbstraction and koolkal!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Starcom does have an unlockable jump drive, in addition to wormhole gates and just pointing your ship in a direction and waiting awhile. I don't recall if anyone passes comment on any of these as being strange, though.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Starcom looks kind of similar to an MMO I think only I ever played, Starport Galactic Empires. Logged back in a few years ago and the 5 beards still playing it wanted to shower the newcomer with gifts because noone new ever shows up lol

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Speaking of top-down space games, which one had goons as a resource?

VVV: Thanks.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 19, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Speaking of top-down space games, which one had goons as a resource?

Space Pirates and Zombies

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

This isn't a video game, but I remember playing a board game as a kid which was chess-like, in that you had two "armies" facing down each other and had to take out your opponent, and I think there was a king-like piece that you win if you take out. The big interesting thing was that you got to choose where to place your pieces, and your opponent couldn't see what pieces you had where, since the pieces stood up vertically, with only your side showing what piece you had.

I really want to reference this game as an example hidden-information but no chance game in my dissertation, so you will get an acknowledgement there if you know what this is!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Stratego.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Thank you, that is it!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Note that in the early 2000s they inverted the rank numbers of all of the pieces, so no matter which version of the game you reference someone will tell you that you did it wrong.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stratego is legitimately a pretty fantastic board game for something that’s eighty years old that you can find at Wal-Mart.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

MegaZeroX posted:

This isn't a video game, but I remember playing a board game as a kid which was chess-like, in that you had two "armies" facing down each other and had to take out your opponent, and I think there was a king-like piece that you win if you take out. The big interesting thing was that you got to choose where to place your pieces, and your opponent couldn't see what pieces you had where, since the pieces stood up vertically, with only your side showing what piece you had.

I really want to reference this game as an example hidden-information but no chance game in my dissertation, so you will get an acknowledgement there if you know what this is!

Guess Who

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

...! posted:

Guess Who

haha

I had a friend 20 years ago who was the master of Judgmental Guess Who. That's where you're like, "Does this person cheat on their taxes?" or "Would this person try to sell you on an MLM scam?" I dont know who started this idea but Im sure its been around exactly as long as when they first started selling the game

What he'd do in his off hours would discuss the Guess Who characters with you and months later when it was time to play, hed just remember long after youve forgotten.

I actually think I saw something about this a few months ago on Instagram/reposted Tiktoks? which warms my heart :)

Tom is definitely a cannibal

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dip Viscous posted:

Note that in the early 2000s they inverted the rank numbers of all of the pieces, so no matter which version of the game you reference someone will tell you that you did it wrong.

that drove me up the wall when a friend of mine linked me to a youtube video of the then most recent championships, but apparently the places people play it online these days let you set your view of the numbering to your preferred method, which is nice

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

wizard2 posted:

I had a friend 20 years ago who was the master of Judgmental Guess Who. That's where you're like, "Does this person cheat on their taxes?" or "Would this person try to sell you on an MLM scam?"
We called it Subjective Guess Who and often started with "Does he look like a bitch???"

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Either I got the wrong impression of what kind of game Void Bastards was from only skimming over the reviews, or there was a game with a very similar setting a few years back that's a party based RPG.

Does anyone know what I could be thinking of? It's not Deep Sky Derelicts, I played that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

Either I got the wrong impression of what kind of game Void Bastards was from only skimming over the reviews, or there was a game with a very similar setting a few years back that's a party based RPG.

Does anyone know what I could be thinking of? It's not Deep Sky Derelicts, I played that.

Duskers, maybe

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Duskers, maybe

Not Duskers either. I think it really was me being under a wrong impression about Void Bastards.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Not Duskers either. I think it really was me being under a wrong impression about Void Bastards.

Maybe StarCrawlers? It's a similiar setting, but you control a party from a first person perspective like Wizardry.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Maybe StarCrawlers? It's a similiar setting, but you control a party from a first person perspective like Wizardry.

Yeah, that's it. Thanks!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trying to remember a game that came out--or at least the trailers came out--fairly recently. It's third-person and 3D. Your character is a little girl. Activities include exploring an island, interacting with friendly monsters, playing music and cooking food for them. It's based on folklore from a place that's not often represented in games. The name was one word iirc. Any ideas?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hwurmp posted:

Trying to remember a game that came out--or at least the trailers came out--fairly recently. It's third-person and 3D. Your character is a little girl. Activities include exploring an island, interacting with friendly monsters, playing music and cooking food for them. It's based on folklore from a place that's not often represented in games. The name was one word iirc. Any ideas?

Palia? You can make whatever character you want.

If it's not that, I recommend looking through the last few Nintendo Indie Directs, because that sounds like kind of game that would've been featured in one of those.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hwurmp posted:

Tchia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqQbBxXtfM

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

Stratego is legitimately a pretty fantastic board game for something that’s eighty years old that you can find at Wal-Mart.

It had pretty rad magazine ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This is the one. Thank you.