Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Naman posted:

Not getting my hopes up, but I vaguely remember this arcade game in about the early '90s that had this green living planetoid thing with like... a trunk, and it and the accompanying music creeped me out big time as a kid. I _think_ the gameplay was similar to Asteroids. I do know it's in space. (I know, that doesn't really narrow it down.)

Sounds like it could be Blasteroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ok not a game, but about them. Instead of opening a new thread I figured I'd ask here about the webstie (I believe it was goon-ran) that you could DL game music from. I just beat Beyond Good and Evil I there are a few tracks from the game that I want bad.

Galbadia Hotel?

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Keru posted:

This kind of reminds me of the C64 version of the Airwolf game, if that's any help.
I know there was another game in the same vein by reLine for the Amiga, but I'll be damned if I can remember it's name.

Now this gets me somewhere. Thanks to reline i googled and found 2 games,

Spaceport: http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php%3Fid%3D982

And through that i found this:

Fortress Underground: http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php%3Fid%3D2401

Maybe it was one of these clones. Cant play em now but ill try em when i get home.

Captain_duck fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 8, 2008

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
Got one for you all...It was on the Sega Genesis, 100% sure on that.

Basically, it was a side scrolling platformer type game, set in the future, I think it was people trying to set up some kind of space colony. You were a soldier walking around in a large suit of power armor equipped with guns, I remember one of the guns was a 30.06. Anyways, the distinctive thing about this game was that it gave you the feel that you were on a team defending this space colony, like you would get messages from your commander along the lines of "get over to this side of the base and defend the blargblah" or "get out of there, we're calling in an airstrike!" In fact, in the first level, I distinctly remember the airstrike being a story event.

I seem to remember part of the title was "Alpha" something or other, but I could be mistaken.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Captain_duck posted:

Now this gets me somewhere. Thanks to reline i googled and found 2 games,

Spaceport: http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php%3Fid%3D982

And through that i found this:

Fortress Underground: http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php%3Fid%3D2401

Maybe it was one of these clones. Cant play em now but ill try em when i get home.

Actually, that Spaceport link lead me to this http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/reviews/view.php%3Fid%3D366 which seems to fit your descriptive image really well, unless you've already seen that and ruled it out.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I hate to bump this thread, but it's been bugging me...
it's an old DOS game, where you play an old man. You're in some kind of tower, in an isometric view. I remember there maybe being magic, and I do remember hunger and thirst meters. There were monsters around the tower. Also, I don't know if it was a product of me being young, but I remember it being tough.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

Tehdude posted:

I hate to bump this thread, but it's been bugging me...
it's an old DOS game, where you play an old man. You're in some kind of tower, in an isometric view. I remember there maybe being magic, and I do remember hunger and thirst meters. There were monsters around the tower. Also, I don't know if it was a product of me being young, but I remember it being tough.

That's probably Mystic Towers from 3drealms.
Clicky
(It's awesome)

ladysparkles
Jul 20, 2008

Culex posted:

Two, it is not much of a game, there were no goals. You 'bought' furniture from a store (no currency was used) and put it in a mansion. The mansion was purely 2D. Incredibly crude-looking. May be a very early game. You could only take items of a certain pixel size; couches or chandeliers or such that were huge would be split into pieces which you would have to manually match up. As a little one I always called it "Grandma's House" which is not the actual name. It is not "Little Computer People."

I think you are thinking of "Dream House" - I remember it from C64. I do remember sinking alot of time into it. Thank you C64 for making me an expert in interior design - well as long as the color scheme is black and white.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

ladysparkles posted:

I think you are thinking of "Dream House" - I remember it from C64. I do remember sinking alot of time into it. Thank you C64 for making me an expert in interior design - well as long as the color scheme is black and white.

It seems like this was released a little too late...but now I'm wondering if I did indeed had a type of C64, and not an Apple 2...the games that I KNOW I played on it were released for both. Cause for thought!! Maybe this is also why I can't figure out the little platformer game, too.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
So here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

It was a 2d windows game made in the style of Quake 3. As in, all the art, sprites, and weapons were direct rips from it. It was built for multiplayer, had a level editor built in, and I remember it being a really fun game in general. Combat was handled by aiming with the mouse and moving via WASD. It wasn't that Quake3 2D mod either, it was it's own fan game.

It was called Quake "something" but I can't remember it for the life of me.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

First person shooter still in development. The developers have talked about how it will integrate multiplayer into single player by allowing players to play as the enemies in a level against the single player playing the game. It is driving me nuts that I cannot remember this one.

jonypawks
Dec 1, 2003

"Why didn't you tell me you were the real Snake?" -- Ken

LackinPants! posted:

So here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

It was a 2d windows game made in the style of Quake 3. As in, all the art, sprites, and weapons were direct rips from it. It was built for multiplayer, had a level editor built in, and I remember it being a really fun game in general. Combat was handled by aiming with the mouse and moving via WASD. It wasn't that Quake3 2D mod either, it was it's own fan game.

It was called Quake "something" but I can't remember it for the life of me.

This sounds like XEvil but I don't think it had anything to do with Quake. Probably not the same game, but sounds like similar gameplay.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Extremely old game that was said to be very compelling. Boxart featured a guy looking into the distance with a few pictures behind him. Had a very long and no-brainer kind of title. I think it may have been adventure or text based. I just heard someone say it was extremely extremely good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Inverse square posted:

Extremely old game that was said to be very compelling. Boxart featured a guy looking into the distance with a few pictures behind him. Had a very long and no-brainer kind of title. I think it may have been adventure or text based. I just heard someone say it was extremely extremely good.

A Mind Forever Voyaging, I bet. It is extremely good.

You can download it (along with every other Infocom game) here. (these games are all available on the Underdogs btw)

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Here's one that I doubt is findable at all. It was a 5 player game, but the other 4 were all computers. You built and launched missiles and used missile defense. I think there was something to do with religion or maybe government styles in it too, but it wasn't available in the demo. Each player could choose one of the real leaders of real countries, but their names were altered to be amusing. This was on some online flash site, but you could buy it for $10 or something and unlock everything and play it offline.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Slickdrac posted:

Here's one that I doubt is findable at all. It was a 5 player game, but the other 4 were all computers. You built and launched missiles and used missile defense. I think there was something to do with religion or maybe government styles in it too, but it wasn't available in the demo. Each player could choose one of the real leaders of real countries, but their names were altered to be amusing. This was on some online flash site, but you could buy it for $10 or something and unlock everything and play it offline.

That sounds like a copy of New World Computing's Nuclear War.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

raaaaagh I'm the double post monster

Bonder
Nov 29, 2007
Wonder if anyone can help me.
I remeber a PC game we played at school in the mid 90's. You played either a man or a woman and you had to go around to a few different places on a map. There was a cafeteria, a quickie mart type of place and a few others. You also had to answer some quiz questions. At the end of each level there was a race against a computer player and your character would win if you ate healthy foods along the way. The race at the end of the first level was a swimming race in a lake or something.
I also remeber one of the later levels had you answering health type questions for a dude that would appear as just a head in flames. If you answer correctly he would get more pissed off but if you answered wrong he would knock you down a level. I never finished the game and I want to know what it was. I seem to recall this last level taking place inside a cave.
Does anyone else remeber this? Am I crazy?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Rock Tumbler posted:

That sounds like a copy of New World Computing's Nuclear War.

That is almost exactly what I was thinking of. I must have been playing a better looking and updated version, but that's got everything I remember. Thank you!

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
There is one that has been bugging me for the longest. It was an arcade game I always played at the roller rink in about '87 or so. The view was top down and had something to do with a bunch of armed thugs in cars driving off with your girlfriend. You have a car that you can drive around in and shoot at stuff. It was kind of neat because if your car took enough damage, you could actually jump out of it and run around on foot. Sure, you'd almost always end up getting ran over by swarms of enemy cars, but at the time actually being able to get out of your vehicle was a pretty novel gameplay concept. I remember that I always got killed by these drat semi trucks that had rows of cannons on them.

I blew so much of my allowance on that game and never did beat it.

Booker Z
Dec 12, 2007

SHINING WIZARD
There was an old computer game where you could enter text/make plays using cartoon characters and text to speech. I could have sworn it was called Hollywood!, but my efforts in finding it have been fruitless. Is it possible it's by another name?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

nominal posted:

There is one that has been bugging me for the longest. It was an arcade game I always played at the roller rink in about '87 or so. The view was top down and had something to do with a bunch of armed thugs in cars driving off with your girlfriend. You have a car that you can drive around in and shoot at stuff. It was kind of neat because if your car took enough damage, you could actually jump out of it and run around on foot. Sure, you'd almost always end up getting ran over by swarms of enemy cars, but at the time actually being able to get out of your vehicle was a pretty novel gameplay concept. I remember that I always got killed by these drat semi trucks that had rows of cannons on them.

I blew so much of my allowance on that game and never did beat it.

That could be The Speed Rumbler. Here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JvkTEPx34I

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

This is a game I used to play years ago for Turbo Grafix. The most I can remember about it is that its a 2d platform game where there was two parts to every stage. The first part you played threw as a normal human and when you got to the end of that you transformed into some type of robot with a light saber like sword. After every stage your sword grew bigger and more powerful. Thats the best I can recall of it.

Crash Bandicoot
Feb 23, 2007

by T. Fine
It's an old game from the era of the spectrum, the BBC Micro and the c64.

The format is an adventure game, you explore poo poo and solve puzzles.

At one point there is a tree who asks you to pick up some fallen leaves. You do this and fall down into a hole. The tree laughs at you. A fairy comes along along punishes the tree by making it snow on him. You get the chance to forgive the tree.

This may be a different game but at some point there is a castle you need a password to get into. I may be wrong but I think the password was "Zap".

That's all I remember about the game because I was about 10 years old.

parkov
May 4, 2005
Vintage Ahoy!
Two games, probably from the Apple ][ era that I'm trying to remember.

The first was an edutainment game where you moved around a birds-eye view map of a town and solved riddles/puzzles. I believe this map was black with white writing. On the north end of the town was a space observatory. One of the objects you could collect might have been a "goblet". It came on a 5.25" floppy. Not much to go on, I know.

In the second game, you had a bunch of Mooninite-looking creatures in a rectangular pen that moved around and sort of reproduced and evolved. There were different species that were different colors.

jonypawks
Dec 1, 2003

"Why didn't you tell me you were the real Snake?" -- Ken

Drop The Bomb posted:

This is a game I used to play years ago for Turbo Grafix. The most I can remember about it is that its a 2d platform game where there was two parts to every stage. The first part you played threw as a normal human and when you got to the end of that you transformed into some type of robot with a light saber like sword. After every stage your sword grew bigger and more powerful. Thats the best I can recall of it.

Keith Courage in Alpha Zones

This happens to be the only TurboGrafx game I own at the moment.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

jonypawks posted:

Keith Courage in Alpha Zones

This happens to be the only TurboGrafx game I own at the moment.

Thank you so very, very much

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Trying to remember an Apple IIe game, set in a sidescrolling view of a castle or mansion, puzzle game in which the far right side of the lower floors had a dumbwaiter you could climb into to change floors.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm trying to remember a Sega Genesis game. I vaguley remember it, the first level had you shooting at some sort of slime machines and the little things you could collect for points looked like harmonicas or some poo poo. Also, there was a level where you were climbing up a burning tree.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker

Rock Tumbler posted:

A Mind Forever Voyaging, I bet. It is extremely good.

You can download it (along with every other Infocom game) here. (these games are all available on the Underdogs btw)
Yes! Thank you very much.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Well, I just remembered another game that I want to know the name of.

I'm pretty sure it was an Amiga game, but it might have been on PC.

It took place in a Subway station, and it had one of those amusement park booths, with those Fortune Teller heads. I believe when you inserted a coin, the booth would give you a Subway ticket.
When you got on the Subway, it transported you into this side scrolling platformer world.

I remember the back of the box showed a ton of different worlds, but I was never quite good enough to beat the first world as a kid :(

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

sitchelin posted:

I'm trying to remember a Sega Genesis game. I vaguley remember it, the first level had you shooting at some sort of slime machines and the little things you could collect for points looked like harmonicas or some poo poo. Also, there was a level where you were climbing up a burning tree.

That's pretty vague, but is it Global Gladiators?

Niymeh
Sep 11, 2001

"It's very cold, my friend. Very dark, and very cold."

RobotJox posted:

I'm trying to remember this PC (windows) game from the late 90s....

It was a top-down shooter where your spaceship would fly around in an infinite space (almost like asteroids) shooting enemy ships which hijack actual files on your computer (represented as windows icons). Once you destroy an enemy you would "rescue" a file by collecting it. Each level was a different directory on your actual PC which you must rescue from an attacking virus (I think). I think the title of the game also involved the word "virus" but I'm not 100% sure.

I have a feeling that it didn't hold up too well over the years, but it would be great to remember this addictive time-waster.

It hasn't got 'virus' in the name, but could it be Operation: Inner Space?
http://www.sdispace.com/content/is_features.htm

RobotJox
Sep 4, 2008

Niymeh posted:

It hasn't got 'virus' in the name, but could it be Operation: Inner Space?
http://www.sdispace.com/content/is_features.htm

That's it! Thanks. Now time to relive the virus-destroying magic.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
I'm looking for an old PC/DOS game. It was a filled polygon space sim where I remember you could fight and also talk to the crews of other ships. You could customize your ship and I think there was some trading involved, but the thing I remember most were that the different engines were named after the explorers i.e. Vespucci and Magellan. Probably from the mid 90's.

Found it, it was either Lightspeed or Hyperspeed

SeamusMcPhisticuffs fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 13, 2008

Mogador
Nov 4, 2007

Dodger_ posted:

First person shooter still in development. The developers have talked about how it will integrate multiplayer into single player by allowing players to play as the enemies in a level against the single player playing the game. It is driving me nuts that I cannot remember this one.

Left4Dead to xbox360.

Edit: It will come to PC as well afaik.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Mogador posted:

Left4Dead to xbox360.

Edit: It will come to PC as well afaik.
It is not Left4Dead. Has nothing to do with zombies. It was shown as one of those generic near future pseudo-military/mercenary shooters.

menieres_4_life
Oct 27, 2007

You don't need equilibrioception to balance the books - in space!
There was an NES action/RPG game in the early 90's where the protagonist was a silent red headed girl that would go crawling through these absurdly complicated maze dungeons. The graphics were similar to Crystalis.

I remember the twist being that the main character wasn't actually a girl, but was a boy, and in order to access the last few dungeons you needed to remove the curse and climb some rope to your home village (which won't let you in until you're male).

Anybody have any ideas?

Cialis Railman
Apr 20, 2007

I'm trying to remember a game from the late 90's or so. I played the trial version of it years ago, so my memory of it is a little sketchy. Here's what I remember:

-Made by Microsoft
-Was a vehicle simulator/strategy game
-You could drive tanks, helicopters, and planes
-You lost the game by losing your floating base station
-You could blow up your base station by commanding one of the gun turrets and just shooting yourself
-Post-apocalyptic setting
-I seem to recall a line from one of the briefings: "...released a flock of white doves."

Thanks in advance. This has really been bugging me lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

menieres_4_life posted:

There was an NES action/RPG game in the early 90's where the protagonist was a silent red headed girl that would go crawling through these absurdly complicated maze dungeons. The graphics were similar to Crystalis.

I remember the twist being that the main character wasn't actually a girl, but was a boy, and in order to access the last few dungeons you needed to remove the curse and climb some rope to your home village (which won't let you in until you're male).

Anybody have any ideas?

I'm pretty sure that one's Faria