Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

The Butcher posted:

Nope. Much less sci-fi. No 3D stuff.

Weirdest thing, never been able to ID it. Thanks for trying!

Maybe I should email PC Gamer, see if there are any old staff who would have any idea.

This is another long shot, but as middle school kids we'd all play Metal Knights, which is a turn-based, play-by-email (or online) tile-based "present day" strategy game. And sounds like around the right time period.

http://metalknights.com/TheGame.html

edit: pic:

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I need your help!

There was a game my brother and I used to love when we were kids. I recall it coming as part of sort of a game demo pack, along with maybe Eight Ball Deluxe, the pinball game.

It was for MS-DOS, we used to play it on my dad's 486. Probably early 90's. The game selection screen was like a movie theater's outside. Other possible games were maybe something to do with Peter Pan? I remember a puzzle that was a hole.

The main game I'm thinking of was something to do with a zoo. You could ride a train along different areas of the zoo. I think the train's conductor was a panda or maybe a polar bear.

I'm very sure I'm not dreaming this.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Hi thread! I'm trying to find a game, I think on PS1, that we had a demo disc for. You played a tank or car, Sci fi setting, on what I think was Mars, because all I could remember is red hills and mountains. I feel like it was more strategy than actual tank stuff but memory is bad.

I remember being able to build and upgrade bases in multi-player, like adding defenses or something. You'd drive around and try to destroy the other player and their base.

Plz help, my family is dying

Edit: SOLVED below, thanks to everyone that helped. Game was Uprising X on PS1

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 19, 2021

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Warzone 2100? It didn’t take place on Mars but it had reddish desert terrain. There was a demo that came with Gex 3

This isn't it, although it looks cool. The game I'm thinking of had strategy elements I think, but it wasn't a top down thing.

Unreal_One posted:

Could it be battlezone? That's PC/N64, so right era, wrong console. The main game spends a long time on Mars, but the demo was lunar missions only, though.

Do you remember if it was first or third person?

Not battlezone, I didn't know there was a 64 port for that though.

The game I can see in my head was 3rd person, and my brother and I played splitscreen. I'm pretty sure it was a demo, as I can only remember/picture that one "red" level.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How about Uprising X? Seems to fit everything except it’s first person

UPRISING X, YES THIS IS IT!!!!!

I swore it was third person, but this is totally it - this is precisely the "red" atmosphere I remembered. I don't know why I thought third person.

Thank you to the others above that had ideas! This is a ~15 year mystery solved for my brother and I!

Edit description:

The gameplay is similar to the first Uprising game, in which players use a tank called the Wraith to destroy enemy units and give orders to their factories and allied units. Players can also zoom into the citadel and use its heavy cannons. The citadel is a protective tower that also automatically fires at enemies.

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 19, 2021

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Yo, thread

Trying to recall an Arcade Game that I remember seeing probably around the earlier 90's. It stood beside a Rampage machine at a rec center.

It was a stand up cabinet, and was a shooter game played from an isometric perspective. I'm fairly certain it never got a home release, or we would have rented it or something and I'd have a more solid memory.

I remember the first level at least being very GREY. I remember the player character (a human) going up an escalator of some sort. The floor had a grid pattern on it, but I don't think the game was grid based. While my heart keeps telling me the enemies were some sort of robot, I don't really remember and I don't want this to be a red herring.

Finally I don't remember it being very good - my brother and I just wanted to play Rampage when we were there.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Dip Viscous posted:

Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters

Yooooooooo THIS IS 100% CORRECT! Thank you to both of you, while this hasn't been a "haunt my every dream" level of mystery, I can now perfectly recreate this whole rec center in my memory, thank you!

edit: perfect that that screenshot has the escalator and grey grid floor in exactly the position in my memory, I wonder if I'd seen it somewhere else

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Zombie Squared posted:

I've been desperately trying to remember the name of this game for about 15 years now. It was a mid/early 90s turn based strategy game. Like all great posts in this thread, I probably got a copy of it on some demo disc. I seem to remember the main conflict being robots versus humans. All movement took place on a square grid, you'd put in your actions and then all the ai units would take their turns. I remember there was a human unit based around a machine gun nest and a bipedal robot unit that looked like the one from robocop. All top down, 2d sprites. I feel like it might have had numbers in its name like 2000 or something.

While I'm here: Was this Space Crusade (Warhammer: 40,000)?

It had a top down or isometric view, and featured an old version of the Chaos Dreadnought, which looked kinda ED-209ish:

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I can confirm that Rampage is in fact better than Escape From The Planet of the Robot Monsters

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

IMJack posted:

Anyone remember an old Flash game where you had an arrangement of stars in the sky, and you changed the viewing angle until the stars arranged an image?

I think this is Starlight 2.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

JackBandit posted:

What the hell is your avatar lol

The AliExpress thread is an all-timer comedy thread and a great place to get hog JO equipment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

someone awful. posted:

sort of asking for my dad; between us both we can't remember what the heck this game was called. he played it a ton in the 90s, it was a turn-based strategy map game kind of thing, with online multiplayer -- i'm pretty sure it was play-by-email and games would go for multiple days. it was historical i think (like, as opposed to fantasy/scifi i mean -- i remember there were tanks) i'm pretty sure it was a free game he downloaded, and not something he bought. iirc the graphics were a little primitive, or at least 2d/flat.

i know this is barely anything to go off of. :sweatdrop: i was pretty young.

Pretty sure I’ve posted this guess a couple times successfully before, I think you played Metal Knights/NetMetal.

https://metalknights.com/TheGame.html