Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ganty posted:

I remember seeing this arcade game a few years ago, it looked as if the main character was some kind of "Igor" kind of fellow, you carried a lamp around and threw huge balls of fire at zombies and generally the undead.

I think it was in a kind of bubble-bobble stage setup but I really have no idea.

This is an awesome Neo Geo game called Nightmare in the Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This could be Chiller, though that game usually stands out more for its full nudity and absurd levels for gore for an NES port (the arcade original is even more absurd).

Like Freedom Force, however, it's worth owning simply because it lets you play coop with two Zappers. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

You are the man.

I remember it being...nicer? Wow, I feel old right now.

That had honestly been bugging me forever.

Try out T-Mek if you want the same experience but improved in every way. That game was crazy in the arcades (had a full cabinet with separate sticks and everything for steering the tank treads independently) and the home ports are pretty much on the money.

SNES Spectre is common and a good conversion also.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It reminds me more of Solar Jet Man or the Cybernoid games. Even if it's not those games are worth checking out for a similar kind of feel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hanton posted:

Thanks!

This one's pretty easy. It was side scroller shoot em up on the ps1, made by taito. You could fire balls from your ship which made you control enemy ships.

It's the totally rad Darius Gaiden. There's a very common PC port also if you don't want to get the PSX/Saturn version.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mug posted:

Could have possibly been Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. but you don't get a gun until a few hours in.

Remember any other tiny details?

This could also possibly be Breakdown on the XBox or Project Eden on the PS2.

MasterOSkillio: Is it Global Domination?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Serious Michael posted:

What was the good Terminator game from a few years ago?
It was 3rd person and I think took place during the present and the future.

This is Terminator 3: Redemption.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ez posted:

I remember seeing a game in Wal Mart back when I was about 10 or so (so about 11 years ago). It was a PC game that had something to do with caves that had giant crystals in them, which somehow either held naked women inside them, or at least had something to do with naked women.

I really don't remember many details, but it definately had something to do with crystals and nudity.

It would really make my day if someone knows that the gently caress I'm talking about.

This could be TekWar or Immercenary.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lotish posted:

I'm not sure how wide the distribution on this particular arcade game was, but when I was a child in Germany, the local base-exchange had a four player beat-em-up side scroller where you played four different palettes of the same basic model of a guy in jeans and a T-shirt, each one colored to look like a different race (I believe). The left most player was traditional white guy in a white shirt with blond hair, and one of the other characters was a black dude in orange and brown. The gameplay left a big blank on my mind, but I remember you didn't have a health bar--you started out with 9999 health and it counted down at light speed, and each time you got hit you lost a chunk of your counter, so it was pretty much impossible to beat one a single quarter since you would simply run out of life and die, as if you're doing all this fighting while suffering from a hemorrhage.

Anyone else inflict this on themselves as a kid?

Your life doesn't continually run out in it, but could this be Crime Fighters? Mostly Konami and Data East beat'em ups used the numerical "life meter," so that might be a good place to start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFldTiclIoE

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Orange Mage posted:

Alright, here's a one that's been puzzling me for years:

Down at the ol' Putt Putt Golf & Games off of State Route 48 a little north of Dayton, Ohio there was a two-seat racing game. The game itself ran on an engine similar to SEGA's Hang-On and Super Monaco series, and featured off-roadish-looking vehicles. The most notable feature I remember is that there were two triggers on the back side of the steering wheel like an XBox360 controller and you could fire some small, lovely looking fireballs to slow down your opponents.

This game was total ownage when it was new like T-Mek, it's called Road Riot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MrMortimer posted:

This is an old one, It was for the genesis, I think you were a kid caveman of some sort. I don't remember a thing about it, maybe some platforming involved. I think you had to move boulders. If anyone can figure it out, I'd love them.

Shadow of the Beast 2? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGIBfzNoaI

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Definitely sure it's not Altered Beast, I've played that before.
I typed in BEATEMUP SAMURAI NINJA DOG into google and got the game Sengoku though, pretty sure that was it although I remember it looking much nicer

http://hg101.kontek.net/sengoku/sengoku.htm

You're probably remembering Sengoku 2 which does look much nicer.

The first one though is pretty rad, the game play is very simple and repetitive but it's impressive how much unique scenery and music is in the game for its time. Seriously impressive atmosphere.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HighOnBread posted:

This was an older game for the SNES that I rented about two or three times and never made it more than like one screen into the game. It was maybe an adventure game or something, like I said, I'd be killed almost immediately every time.

Maybe a monster or something killed me, but something caused me to drop dead right off the bat and I could never figure it out. I've had a desire to find it again and see if my older, wiser self could figure it out.

Sure SNES Dragon's Lair or Space Ace?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think that's how the final boss of Drakan: The Ancient Gates works (on PS2, not sure about the PC version).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Espresso Steampunk posted:

You're the best! That jogs my memory... I had a speech problem back then and this title was nearly impossible for me to say.

If you have a Wii, you can own this game on Data East Classics when it comes out next month (along with Bad Dudes, CRUDE BUSTER and Heavy Barrel)! :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zain posted:

I have one. Is this game on either the SNES or Genesis, not sure which one. But it's an action game where you collect rings to give you more powerful magic. Other then that I can't remember much from it.

Could it be...Rings of Power?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lamestream Media posted:

There was an RPG where you could sell all your items at the beginning and have enough to buy an "escape" item, then use it to escape when you're thrown into jail, whereupon the King tells you you're very clever but you've broken the game and have to reset.

Unfortunately, since every 16-bit RPG has you being thrown into jail within the first half hour, I'm having trouble remembering what it is. Anyone able to figure it out?

This is Phantasy Star III, most of the re-releases fix this though. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pvt. Benedetto posted:

I'm looking for an old (I believe) DOS PC game that I played a couple times when I was younger.

It took place in an Arabian palace type setting with lots of booby-traps and cool items.

It wasn't just a side scroller (thus I know it wasn't Prince of Persia), and you could sorta move in three dimensions.

One scene I remember, which makes the game sounds insane, involved entering this room with an eye over the door, and throwing down some sort of glowing dust so you could see footprints on the ground which you had to follow as not to get shot by the eye. In the next room, after flipping or not flipping a switch, a cannonball fell on you and you died (I was not very good at this game.)

Another scene involved knocking a vase off a windowsill and hearing it crash down on someone as it fell outside.

Thank you for the help!

This sounds like something from Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/al-qadim-the-genies-curse/screenshots

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

32-bit Siren posted:

Thank you for this! There is a game I have been trying to remember the name of FOREVER.

It was an early fighter for the playstation. The characters were all monsters. There was a mummy, Frankensteins monster, a gorgon, an evil fairy, maybe a werewolf too but I can't remember.

Any help would be great. Does anyone remember the name of this game?

Iron & Blood is not a bad guess but this games is definitely Killing Zone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17SmWcnSajQ

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

The game I'm looking for was supposed to come out sometime this year or next for XBox, PC, and PS. The games pull is that you're a spy and can kill any character, no matter how essential, and you can complete the game without firing a shot. I think there was a thread about this game, but I'm not sure.

Alpha Protocol.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SoniCRIME TheRapy posted:

There was some game form Genesis or SNES (pretty sure it was Genesis) where you went through a maze (full 3D, Doom style) and at the end, an alarm would sound and you had to get back to the beginning in a set amount of time. Nobody has ever been able to figure it out, and it's bugged me forever. I'm probably remembering it wrong too.

This could be Cyber Cop/Corporation or Battle Frenzy/Bloodshot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTwq2i6Mq0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFoBJCUIXo

Corporation is kind of dinky today but to me is still amazing for being a fully 3D Shadowrun FPS only made for the Sega Genesis in 1992.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fire Storm posted:

1. Some sort of game where you were vikings, and I think it was DOS-based or possibly early Windows 3.1. The screen where you move was overhead, but battle was seen from the side. You could build cities/villages or take over other villages. When a unit died, Valkyries flew down on winged horses and carried your fallen unit away (part of "Flight of the Valkyries" played when they appeared). If it helps, the berserker unit had 2 swords. I think the game came out sometime between 1992 and 1998. (I THINK I got a demo for this game on a CD that came with a magazine, if that helps at all)

This could be either Vikings: The Strategy of Ultimate Conquest or Vikings: Fields of Conquest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Naughty McGee posted:

There was this one game that's been on my mind for a long time. I want to say it was from the early-mid 90s, and I played it at a friends house. All I remember about it was that you piloted a ship on the surface of a planet and then you could fly down tunnels, that, if I recall correctly, eventually brought you out to the other side of the planet.

Did it look like StarFox? If so then it was probably CyberMorph (or its CD spinoff BattleMorph) on the Jaguar.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 21, 2010

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cthulhuite posted:

I'm trying to remember a game that i'm pretty sure got cancelled. It was a third-person-ish fixed camera game for PC, puzzle\adventure that took place on Mars, with you as a space-suit wearing astronaut. I remember seeing adverts for it in PC Gamer, but I wanted to know what came of the game because it looks stunningly good and quite interesting.

Wasn't this Martian Gothic? It eventually came out on the PS1 but like many of the proposed sci-fi/horror games of the early 2000s that aren't System Shock 2 the end product just aped a genre shamelessly instead of actually trying to do something interesting. In this game's case just stick with Resident Evil 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zombie Defiler posted:

Another game I can't seem to figure out what it was from / the name was a sidescrolling R-type like game, where before the level started you would select the elemental suit (:v:earth, water, fire, all that kind of thing) you would use as your "ship" for the stage. I think the first stage was some kind of blue sky background with clouds rushing past you, and I think it was around during the GEN-SNES-Saturn gaming timeframe. EDIT: Oh and the art was sprite based I think. Not 3D.

Surely this is Lords of Thunder from the Turbo CD and Sega CD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKRwr6HIf0 One of the most :black101: :rock: games out there, plus it's on the Virtual Console now too!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Satellit3 posted:

Goddamn that game fits my description perfectly but it isn't it :( The one I played had better graphics/sound and you always started out in the air, none of that taking off or landing business. Also I don't recall using an emulator, so I'm assuming it must have been released on the PC at some point.

Maybe a similar Sega arcade game called G-LOC?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztWkUCgKrWQ This was on PC via those Sega Smash Pack compilations that came out throughout the mid nineties~early 2000s.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Flying High posted:

There was a game that was for the SNES system that was a RPG, but not something made by squaresoft or someone like that. It was base around cards or something like that, and alot of the themes was about Tomatos. It was single player, and was a action RPG like The Legend of Zelda, but it showed the number of health you had.

All that I could remember about the game there...

This must be Twisted Tales of Spike McFang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yibHgLWyYOg

Xythar: This sounds like one of the Dark Colony games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ByIYt_Wp4I

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Koorisch posted:

I'm looking for a game that I once got in a PC-gamer disc.

It's a top-down RPG with paperdolls in the inventory and it shows things you click on with the mouse in the right corner of the screen.

It was overshadowed by games as Diablo and Warcraft 2 if I'm not wrong.

Sorry if I'm vague, it's just so drat hard to remember the game since it was 14+ years ago I played it.

A few Diablo clones that got some hype/demos that come to mind are Icarus, Clans and Revenant.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for an old arcade beat-em-up, something I played in the early nineties.

You could play as a wizard, and possibly several other characters, and the very first level started with you in a throne room talking to some king or nobleman who died as soon as you finished talking to him. You then walked to the left of the room as the first level progressed. One of the early bosses was a big purple sphere of bugs or eyes or something, they dropped off as it took damage.

I'm pretty sure it was pure 2D, without any of the fake depth like in Golden Axe or King of Dragons.

The king doesn't die in the beginning, but the first level having you go left in the beginning and the description of the first boss sounds a lot like Cadash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3q4lp45e8g

It got a good port to the Turbo Graphx and a terrible port to the Genesis. The arcade version is available on the US PC release of Taito Legends 2, the European XBox release of Taito Legends 2, and Taito Memories Gekan 2 I think in Japan (the Japanese compilation had four different volumes) on the PS2.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 7, 2010

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Octal posted:

There was this Dos game or something that had a hex-based grid and you were like the AI on a space station and the ship had cargo and aliens and humans on it.

You can add lights, airlocks and some defenses I think and you could also suck things out into space.

The aliens hated the lights as they'd be at a disadvantage vs humans and would try to break them along with whatever else was in the room, including airlocks which may mean they breach your locked door to your precious cargo/humans or into the emptiness of space and blast everyone and everything out through the airlock. I think there may have been pressure pads as well or something, but I'm not sure. This was a long time ago I had this it was free most likely and I forgot the name of it and could never find it again.

This sounds a lot like Command Adventures: Starship.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/command-adventures-starship

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Alright, I got one. Probably the only one that has really bothered me through the years.

I couldn't find one with all the playable characters to check for sure but this reminds me of Ninja Kids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iq8KeTF_9E

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Boo This Man posted:

The game I'm looking for is on PC. It came out probley in 1997.

I remember the game having a female lead character. It was a futuristic diablo-esque clone. It is not ONI. But I never played it and saw the box and thought it looked fun.

Possibly Odium or Gender Wars?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjCqSRW9N4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zblBzyVKewg

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

rivid posted:

NES game that was like Advanced Wars. I think it had a big general on the cover maybe maneuvering units like puppets. At least that's what the cover looked like to me when I was a kid.

This is definitely Desert Commander:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4TFwMj4xf8

Yeticopter posted:

There was a PC game that came out 6 or 7 years ago,a 3-D RTS that was set in Medieval times, where you had a small fort/castle kinda thing and defended it from invasion. In a way, it kind of reminded me of Populous. I played a demo of it around 04-05 (I think) and thought it was awesome, but never got around to buying it for whatever reason.

This is almost definitely one of the Stronghold series?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVE8QXj5hrw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4Ui5l7I3w

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Achtane posted:

There's this game I watched a playthrough of because it was of such B-quality...seems like it was on Sega Saturn but don't hold me to that. I believe it was Japanese and had quite a few animated cutscenes. I have no idea what type of game it was, but here's why I'm posting this.

The story took place in space.
It had a distinctive cheesy theme song that went like:
"Bowie, this is your chaaaance, so give it all you've gooooot"
And I'm pretty sure the phrase "use your super bazooka" was in there too. I assume "Bowie" was the main character.

I would love to know what game this is, it's been haunting me for a long time now.

This is a Turbo Grafx CD game called Final Zone II. Definitely Youtube the cutscenes as it has some of the worst voice acting ever. The main character is indeed named "Haward Bowie."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Discount Viscount posted:

Alright, here are a couple of old arcade games I probably played around 1989 or so when I was 4 or 5. I can only remember the vaguest of details. The first was some sidescrolling run and gun with a Rambo-esque hero (yeah, that narrows it down.) The biggest details I can remember are the first stage took place at night, your shots had a red tail/trail on them with a white tip, and at some point in the first level you could climb into a stationary turret and gun guys down. I think there may have also been a driveable jeep-type vehicle.

The second is a side-scrolling beat-em up or martial arts action game where the guy wore a purple or blue gi. He was super-deformed style and so were the enemies, I think. I remember very little about this except that the boxart for Mighty Final Fight for the NES sort of reminds me of it. He kind of looked like Guy.

It lacks turrets but you could be thinking of Data East's Midnight Resistance. Here's the Genesis port: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdN9a5Z8cbw I don't think it's in this one but the game's spread gun has large projectiles that flash red and white.

The martial arts one could be a few games too. If it's not Kageki don't worry, Taito owns this sort of game. Check out Bonze Adventure, Kuri Kinton, Ninja Kids and Kid Niki: Radical Ninja.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tC4WB8S_DU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwRPfhHFBq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iq8KeTF_9E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gry_xtTaHi8

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

He's definitely talking about Rastan, lots of games kill you when you fall into water but only Rastan has the sinking+hands in the air+death scream.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rastan/rastan.htm

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

I've got one.

There was some game on the Gamecube where you played as a girl in a realistic (as opposed to anime or whatever) fantasy setting, and you could assemble decks of cards that either did an attack when you drew them, turned you into a monster, or summoned monsters to help you fight. I think it was an RPG, but the fighting was real-time and took place in small 3D arenas that you could walk around in. I remember hating it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

These are AWESOME games. It's a series from From Software called Lost Kingdoms. Get the second one it's great. Instead of random encounters you run around large areas like Secret of Mana exploring and fighting at the same time. It fixes everything wrong with the original.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

There was a thread about a driving game that came out and wasn't very good but has been fan patched to be awesome. I can't remember the name of the game or thread or anything. It was apparently made into a really impressive wide open driving experience where tons of vehicles could race one another. Anyone remember what it was?

I'm pretty sure this is the PC version of Pure?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I feel bad about forgetting this, but I can't remember the name of a game I really had wanted to try.

IIRC, it was for Xbox (Original) and Dreamcast, or something like that. It involved playing minigames for money, and there was 2 games in the series. It was supposed to have a third. The main character liked capsule toys, and people joked about it. It was kind of a weird series, that regrettably won't get it's final entry.

Shenmue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grawl posted:

It's a long stretch, but could it be Ghost Trick?

Sounds kind of like Time Hollow maybe? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SvUX-BAttc