Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

There was this game in the arcade, and I am going to guess early to mid 90s. It was a fixed gun game and I think the theme was zombies or some poo poo. If I remember correctly one of the first levels was on a ship or something and you fought zombie dogs at some point.

Check out Beast Busters, Mechanized Attack (terminators rather than zombies but similar) and Zombie Raid.

Actually check out Beast Busters and Mechanized Attack anyway since pre-Neo Geo SNK stuff is legit as hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvSWgr8rF0I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXFLbBehv-I&t=240s

Monster Raid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUViySsUpZw

Laser Ghost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3YiM4pbFlQ

Note that Zombie Raid's lightgun is shaped like a shotgun and actually requires you to pump it/etc. to reload, do you by any chance remember what the gun was like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah there were a few Warhammer 40,000 strategy games in the mid nineties, Chaos Gate is definitely the one infamous for not wanting to obey on a modern machine though. If it's not that check out Final Liberation and Rites of War.

blackguy32 posted:

I'm pretty sure it was beast busters. The gun used was an uzi. Thanks!

No problem, I love that SNK made a shooter with ludicrous gibs and such in 1990. :3:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

dumby posted:

Played sometime between 96-2000, dos game, isometric. Shooting aliens(?) and clearing out an office building with destructable walls, computers, etc. Like a weird combination of syndicate and xcom, but I think you controlled a single character, and it was turn based. I remember it being really blue?

Might be Gender Wars. It's not turn based but you only really control/upgrade your one dude and due to the two faction's colors the out of level screens are all either extremely red or extremely blue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjCqSRW9N4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't think either of those are it. I'm pretty certain it was vertical orientation. The upgrades are literally added to the sides of the ship, making the ship ridiculously wide, far more so than the ship in galaga '88. I'm sorry I can't remember much more. It pretty much blended with every other shmup with a space ship at the time.

If it's definitely vertical check out maybe Gaplus, Bermuda Triangle, the Alpha Mission games and the Darwin games. Gaplus is "Galaga 3" but you can become absurdly wide by getting like five or six guys added on at once. The two Darwin games have your ship transform in a wide variety of ways as you get power ups. In Bermuda Triangle your ship is a huge battle cruiser type thing and the power ups are extra small jets that fly in formation with you, you can get pretty large in it. Same with the Alpha Mission games, you start as a small normal sized ship for this sort of game but can become much larger as you get power ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY35xY6tRE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xL3laAPM3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgCeJrWlbD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuaCHfrvNW8

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

poo poo, I know exactly the game you're talking about. Let me see if I can remember it...

Did the player sprite change perspective when the areas changed? It might be Acrobat Mission or Ark Area. Possibly MagMax or Atomic Robo-Kid.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Doom and Metal Slug have the same rocket explosion. Movies and games do this all the time throughout their entire existence, yet when STALKER first came out people thought it "plagiarized" sound effects and explosion/fire assets out of nowhere. Really weird when this si so common and done by licensing sound libraries, stock sounds, etc.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 31, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Hmm. I don't remember that game having characters with different stats. Been a while though.

Capcom and Sega did do two other arcade games on the same engine as Outtrigger, each was a licensed game based on Spawn and Heavy Metal respectively though so they'd probably stand out if it was them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtaZFeTRSPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtvOvVxiq60

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It was NES. After looking at Bad Street Brawler that wasn't the game.

That might have been the game, actually. It looks similar anyway but I couldn't seem to find the boss I was thinking of. I'm being serious when I say she filled most of the screen. It wasn't Kim from that game and she was drawn to look very fat. She just kind of walked at you slapping at the air and you couldn't get near enough to her to attack her. You couldn't leave the screen, you couldn't get away, and we played the game a lot only to realize that she was literally impossible to beat. Renegade looks like the right game but I couldn't seem to find any videos of that boss so it might not be.

The memories are hazy but that boss sticks out just because of how goddamned absurd it was.

Technos (makers of Renegade, River City Ransom, Double Dragon, Combatribes, etc.) has a fight like this in a few other games they did too. But all of the ones I can think of besides what was already mentioned weren't actually released in the US or were on the SNES.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 22, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cerebulon posted:

For a lot of my childhood I used to play games/demos from the shareware/freeware disks off Mac magazines that my granny had been collecting for years, so this could be from anywhere between 1994 and 2001ish.
I think it was a demo for a full game but it could have also been a free Doom or Duke 3D mod or something as far as I know, but it was an FPS set in the US Capitol (It could have also been some government offices though, but I think I remember the Capitol being on the main menu or demo disk box) and I assume it had been taken over by terrorists? Things that stick out for me for some reason are that there were American flag stands all over the place (Either side of doors and stuff) that you could push around and that there was a bit where you walked near a big row of windows and there was a helicopter fly-by sound effect but no actual helicopter.

This may be Prime Target or Lethal Tender.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Looking for a wild west themed adventure game that I want to say was on the PSX in Japan and maybe PC also. It's NOT Silverload or The Town with No Name. It had fairly blocky 3D graphics when this type of game would usually have 2D stuff. Like almost Virtua Fighter 1 style blocky.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

No sorry it was a more adventure-ish kind of game like Silverload and Town with No Name.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Alone in the Dark 3 took place in a ghost town and had a more western flair to it than the previous games and was on the PC and PSX. Any of this ring a bell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0oiDnGaM4Y

This very similar but not it. I'm having trouble describing just how dated the graphics are in this game, it was like, uh, like almost Donkey Kong Country-like at points. I guess the closest I can think of is the cutscenes and battle animations in Ronde on the Saturn.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

nm

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 27, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A first person racing game from the early 90s or possibly very late 80s wherein multiple cabinets could be linked together for competitive play. It involved racing dune buggies through deserts, along beaches, etc. You could shoot other cars too but this was very ineffective. I could have sworn it had "Baja" or "Rally" or some combination in its name but it either does it or I'm missing it when I look those up. I believe this was made by either Atari/Midway or Namco. It couldn't have been made more recently than 1994 or so, and couldn't be older than about 1989 probably.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This is it, thank you! :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

betterinsodapop posted:

It was a SNES game. Either a side-scrolling beat 'em up or a SF style fighting game.
I think it may have been made by SNK?
Anyway the main thing I remember was that when you beat the game, a digitized "Engrish" female voice shouted "CONGRADGURATIONS! CONGRADGURATIONS!"

Was it definitely on the SNES? This may be the Genesis port of SNK's Street Smart.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wonder if this was finally cancelled because they started working in earnest on that official Cyberpunk 2020 game or what.

Now that I think about it didn't a bunch of "the devs of _____ are doing a cyberpunk FPS now!!" games get announced around that time? Besides They there was Cyberpunk, Hard Reset (which did actually come out, this was the first game from the Shadow Warrior people who had also worked on Painkiller) and also Samaritan from Epic Games/Cliffy B. There's one other I can't remember.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 24, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Konsek posted:

There was a game, a text based MS-DOS RPG where you had to type commands, like north, south, east, west. I think other commands were context based and you had to guess if you could use them or not given what was on the screen or what you had in the inventory. I was too young to really understand it at the time and would always die or get bored in the first few screens. My memory of it is purple and green, and had something to do with goblins. Also a cobbled road. I'm fairly sure it was made in the 80s, possibly early 1990s, but I think it was before 1992.

Every so often I search the internet to see if I can work it out, and while I've worked out every other obscure game my Dad let me play in the 80s, this one still eludes me. I know the info I give is pretty broad and could apply to many games, but I'd really like to work this one out!

This might be Demon's Forge (very purple and green palette) or Knight Orc (orcs/goblin stuff, road trippy).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 21, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I don't remember much about this game but here is the little I do know
The first stage you are in is in France, your character is an edgelord if I remember correctly, and they use a spear.
I remember one scene where you are hiding in the rafters of a church.
There is also a set piece where you fight zombies in a tiny graveyard.
I believe it was on PS1/2 or Dreamcast but I am not sure.

Sounds like the dude with the staff you can play as in Nightmare Creatures.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A Japanese PC (and probably PSX too) adventure game that I believe has a western theme. The graphics were really clunky 3D sort of like The Town With No Name, it's not Silverload.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Rising Zan, by any chance? It's sort of a combo western/samurai game.

Hell yes I love Rising Zan but that's not it. This was more of like a graphic adventure sort of thing (I think it was first person though like Myst or Town With No Name instead of having your character on screen).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

No, it looked way freakier and took place outdoors from what I recall, the main character's sprite was also tall and I vaguely recall that he could kind of hover by using his boots as mini jetpacks or something

https://youtu.be/FMX_jC38nAM

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Hey I'm trying to remember the name of a game I played a few years back. It was like an MMO version of Dynasty Warriors where you had a main character who led a squad around against another team and/or AI. I'm pretty sure it was based loosely on Chinese history. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

There's quite a few of these but I want to say Age of Wushu?

Some others that IIRC got pretty popular outside their home country are Blade and Soul, Moonlight Blade, and Nine Dragons.

EDIT:

There's also of course Dynasty Warriors Online which I guess is probably it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 20, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Flannelette posted:

Yeah I think that's it thanks.

:hfive: I fuckin' love this game.

If you want, it got a sorta sequel/remake that got released in the US as Gekioh: Shooting King with a massive amount of extra features/bonus modes etc. great stuff. It was a PS1 game but it came out on the PS3 too as a PS1 Classic and I remember could run on the PSP also so it should still be easy to get going on something.

Splicer posted:

Belated thanks to everyone who tried my question, no joy though. An important thing is that the alien was shaking an in-game camera, not just the character's view

This sounds like something that would happen in like Stupid Invaders or Space Station Silicon Valley.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Drunk in Space posted:

Trying to find a futuristic flight sim I played a demo of back in the 90's. From what I recall you flew some kind of VTOL vehicle around an industrial city at night time. I remember the city had these big bright circular lights everywhere, as well as lots of factories. It was a 3D game with simple but quite nice-looking polygonal graphics, and a kind of purple/black colour scheme, I think?

I wish I could remember more about it. I think I actually played it off a PC mag demo disk sometime around 95/96, and it might have in fact been more of a tech demo type thing, so who knows if it was even released as an actual game.

It sounds a lot like G-Police like moller mentions, but if that's not it I'd also look at the 3DO game Blade Force.

THERE WAS ALSO a 3DO and I think PC tech demo of a game like both of those. I remember handling a promotional comic book for it and everything You played as a woman flying around in "some kind of VTOL vehicle," like literally it was like...a platform with a guardrail and a gun on it? :wtc: Just a really goofy thing like the old Fantasticar or something. But you were flying through a similarly purple/black pretty nice looking sci-fi dystopia and the goal was to hurt corporations by destroying advertisements. I want to say this was meant to be a VR game, from like 1996/7. I forget if it was released or not and it might even have like, become Blade Force or G-Police or something.

I can't remember what it was called though so my post is double useless in this thread lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Leal posted:

Alright this is gonna be a doozy, like 12 years ago my mom got me this game for PS2. Problem was that it was one of those blue disc games and the PS2 I had at the time couldn't play blue disc cds, so I never actually got to play it. At some point either I lost it or it was stolen. I did read the manual however, and I'm curious if this game ever actually existed or if I'm having some extremely hosed up memory of my past.

I believe the box art had a white backing with an outline of the protagonist's face, and the outlining was in a red or slightly orange color.
The player character was female and was a witch or something else that was proficient in magic.
The game took place either in a village that the protagonist ruled over or simply lived in and it was the hub area.
You would go out and do generic medieval fantasy things to accrue money that you would then use to upgrade your village.
I want to say the gameplay was something like the PS2 Baldur's Gate games, overhead hack n slash.
It was most likely a budget title, as that is the only reason my mom would ever get me a game outside of christmas or my birthday and she found it in the bargain bin

And go!

Rollersnake posted:

Demon Stone? Never played it, but I remembered that cover art, which seems like what you were describing.

I immediately thought of Demon Stone also and from everything in the description. It describes Demon Stone to a T.
However, Demon Stone is a DVD game, not one of the blue CD-ROM disks, so if the bolded part is true it cannot be Demon Stone.

But surely it was Demon Stone to remember such a cover, like it must be. But if not, maybe it's Summoner 2 like someone suggested or Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Warlords 2 has like that exact graphic of the decapitated heads, it must be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blueshirt posted:

Yo I played an arcade game about 30 years ago, holy poo poo I'm old, anyway it was a top down shooter. You played as a little army marine looking fella, the first level was some kinda grey industrial zone with big worm monsters everyplace. Also there was a jump button. Holy gently caress this is a vague description.

It's might be SAR: Search and Rescue. Lots of xenomorph/worm/body horror kinda creatures with a heavy industrial look and you do have a diving dodge move, you play as sci-fi soldier dudes, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W1lus0ZIQo

Most important thing about the game is how some of the tracks wouldn't be out of place on a Black Sabbath album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZYyk93Huio

Also from your description another game from around-ish then, Desert Breaker, comes to mind, no giant worms though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBa80P3Kd4E

Battle Ranger (we got this on the Turbo Grafx-16 as Bloody Wolf) would be exactly it except that there's no giant worms in it