Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Moochewmoo posted:

So I've been trying to figure out what this game is for a good bit of time. I've never actually played it but I remember reading the box and looking at a bunch of screen shots and stuff.

It was a rts game released around the same time as system shock 2. You trained your units by putting them through several structures. So train a basic archer, then send it to another building to get like a more advanced archer of some sort. I want to say there were several factions maybe? With almost a bit of eastern influence. It's been so long that's the best I can remember.

Is it this? http://www.gog.com/game/battle_realms_winter_of_the_wolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I vaguely recall a game that was a 2D fighter (not smash bros) that had large fighting areas with some kind of platforming involved. I think there was enviromental weapons maybe? It was pretty old and I think it was pretty bad, too.

It might've been made fun of in one of slowbeef and Diabeetus' retsupuraes.

I hope it was this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/savage-warriors

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Probably the "Duke Nukem Duke it Out in DC" game.

Could you push around the flags though? I thought all the duke props were static. The only thing that comes to mind for me is the first level of Deus Ex within UNATCO headquarters, but it's probably too new.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Kommando posted:

Early 2000s, isometric 'action/adventure' game, 265 colours. it was animated.
you played an ugly wizard with sandals and a walking stick ascending a tower. casing spells at stuff. collecting poo poo and getting to the next staircase.

You sure it was that new? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYQhQRPLFmA

EDIT: drat YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

chairface posted:

It's neither of those, wasn't wireframes like the one or obviously-sprites-of-a-ship like the second. These looked like frozen static patterns, and they would take off/land vertically when you'd get to another planet. It's a real bitch to look for cuz the C64 only had a few thousand lovely Elite ripoffs over the years. :smith:

Echelon? That's the only one I remember.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Drunk in Space posted:

I'm thinking of a British action adventure horror game I played on the PC back in the mid-90's that had unusual 3D graphics where characters' bodies were made out of spheres that had been stretched in various ways, making them look not dissimilar to balloon animals.

The game was set in the Middle Ages in a village that'd been taken over by demons or werewolves or demon-worshipping werewolves or something like that. I remember you didn't start with a weapon, so you had to hide in wardrobes while the monsters passed by, at least at the start. Combat was really bad even when you did find a weapon, not the least because the game had fixed camera angles for different scenes which sometimes made it hard to see what you were doing. Nonetheless, it had excellent atmosphere and was probably the first game I played that was genuinely scary.

Also I remember it being a bit controversial at the time because aside from the usual moral panic that tended to happen a lot back then over anything featuring occult stuff, there was a fair amount of nudity in the game, including a part where a naked nymph woman comes out of a lake or river showing off her tits and bush, which was OMG SEXY AS gently caress to prurient teenage me (I was about 13/14, give me a break).

This is driving me nuts. I'm 99% sure it's a sequel and that it starts with an 'E'.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

This is driving me nuts. I'm 99% sure it's a sequel and that it starts with an 'E'.

Got it: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/estatica

EDIT: lol drat

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

My brother and I are trying to find a game we used to play a long while back. Here are the details we've been able to come up with. Ring any bells?

-PC (played it around 2008 but no idea when the game came out, might have been much older)
-Graphics were 3D rather than sprites, similar to Warcraft 3, but not as good
-Had Deck building elements - The cards would be units and spells, very similar to Magic the Gathering, but combat would take place in a turn-based "Heroes of Might and Magic" fashion - with similar battle phases to MTG.
-Can remember specifically using Rat based "deck" units at some point. Cards would be drawn during battle. Decks consisted of a fairly low amount of cards, I think (~20)
-Between battles, game would take place on a world map, similar to 'Mount and Blade'
-Think main character was traveling on a wolf, and wielded a staff, not sure if there were other character to chose from

Some of these details are fuzzy.

Game is not BattleForge.

Not too familiar but maybe:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/warhammer-shadow-of-the-horned-rat
https://www.mobygames.com/game/warhammer-dark-omen

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

DancinBrud posted:

Thanks, but no. I should've clarified that this was a real, physical pinball machine, instead of software.

Ask here, they'll know: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361132

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

FFT posted:

I played this game on a teacher's laptop in the early 90s. It was vaguely adventure RPG/hack and slash for the time. Black and white (though that may have just been the laptop's hardware limitations), top down, simple cartoony sprites, square grid tiles, and keyboard controls.

The only thing I properly remember was that there was a castle near where you started the game with a treasure room that could be broken into and looted. This would pull all of the guards, but if you got away you'd have a poo poo ton of gold and (maybe?) some magic stuff.

I think everything paused when you weren't moving the character, but combat was otherwise in real time in that old bump-to-use-attack fashion.

I managed to find it some years after, but the game's speed was linked to clock speed so everything moved hilariously quickly. Pretty sure it was still in black and white.

MAYBE: http://www.mobygames.com/game/castle-of-the-winds

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

Could it possibly be one of the AD&D PC games?

Edit: actually, you know what? I'm looking for one specifically as well so good opportunity to ask. It was an AD&D PC game that I believe was on 5.5 inch floppies and ran in DOS. These are the two things I remember.

1. One of the first enemies you encountered were horses called NightMare or KnightMare. I never could defeat them because at the time I was so young I couldn't operate any video game more complex than run and shoot.

2. The game actually came with a scenario or strategy guide with detailed maps. I remember not liking the game because I died instantly, but I studied those loving maps constantly because they were so cool.

The second part is the selling point on this, because to be fair I've just looked through a ton of screenshots and they all look the same to me.

It's been a long time but guessing this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/death-knights-of-krynn

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

By the way, exactly right. The cluebook for this one was the one I was looking for. Thanks again for your help.

No problem. Play the whole trilogy if you can; it's great.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Stathol posted:

This isn't much to go on, but:

I'm trying to remember a DOS-based RPG game that I picked up from a local BBS some time in the very early 90s. It might have been shareware/freeware, but knowing me it probably wasn't. I never really got the chance to play it, so all I can remember is that the game was set in some kind of underground kingdom (or maybe inside a mountain?). I also have the vague recollection that it was a pretty expansive game for its day, but I remember thinking it was pretty obscure even at the time.

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/magic-candle-series

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Also, if you like Entomorph, check out Al-Qadim: https://www.gog.com/game/alqadim_the_genies_curse

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

It's not quite like that box art. The characters are all standing in line next to each other with their bodies facing towards the camera and I think they were standing on dirt that gave it kind of an apocalypse vibe maybe? It was drawn in a style that was reminiscent of American comic books of the time too. I think either the border of the front of the box or the sides of the box had yellow and black stripes that gave it a "caution" impression too.
Just in case you're mixing up games:

FrumpleOrz posted:

I just figured it out. It was called Strike Squad. Maybe I can dig up a copy now.

Man I love old box art.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 27, 2017

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I want to say it's either from some French game developer/publisher, an edutainment company or an out of business mouse/joystick/zip drive/etc... company.

I also remember it but if it's fake, it's loving perfect.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I played an edutainment game in 98-99, but I think it was from roughly 95. Windows 3.1 or 95.
Was maths focused, with an underwater theme. It had multiple sub-games. It's possible it was shareware but I remember it having too much cohesion and overall polish for that.

The minigame I remember really clearly involved solving problems written on fish*, and at the end of a stage coins would rain down from the top of the screen**. Collecting these coins would give you money to upgrade an aquarium - furniture and such. Another involved being in a submarine and shooting at mines or something? Less clear on that.

It had FMV-style graphics, like while it wasn't Undersea Adventure, that's kind of the aesthetic it had. Similar to the classic fish screen saver.

*I'm not actually sure if they were on the fish or if the fish were just around and there was a different placement of the math problems.
**I remember this in particular because, being Australian, I was really confused when the 10c coin was smaller than the 5c coin.

It's possible I imagined all of this but I want to be sure. Thanks!

Also, I want to give a shout out to this guy because they already posted the other game I remembered!
Pretty sure I have this. Looks almost identical to Undersea Adventure but it's not. Don't remember any math problems though. Also have another edutainment title called "Mathology" that no one else knows exists. Got them both out of the Scholastic catalogue when I was in grade school. I'll try to dig them up this weekend.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Hey so I don't want to nag you on this, just wanted to see if you found the thing. I still haven't and it's still bugging me.
Nope but I plan on going up to the house this Friday. It should be there.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Hey so I don't want to nag you on this, just wanted to see if you found the thing. I still haven't and it's still bugging me.
So I went up to the house yesterday. It's not there.

Maybe I have it in storage, I'll have to check. Don't think I sold it but it's possible that my grandfather did in a garage sale.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I'm about 80% sure I'm thinking of Math Ace Jr. but since there's basically nothing on the internet about it I can't be sure :(

You might be thinking of Discoveries of the Deep? That one doesn't look there's math involved and looks more realistic.
Unfortunately that's not it. The one I think we're both trying to remember has VERY "Windows 95 graphics."

If it helps, the box was mostly yellow & blue (ocean pictures, probably some sharks).

I'm going to go back up there to actually grab all my stuff at some point soon and I'll do another sweep but aghh I bet he sold it for like a nickel. He also managed to sell my mint copy of this for like a dollar: http://www.mobygames.com/game/wrath-of-the-gods

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 13, 2017

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Gimbal lock posted:

Here's one: It's a fairly old game, probably from the 90's? It was an adventure game about an investigator staying at a southern mansion, in a swampy area. A bunch of people were meeting there because a rich guy was going thru his will. The people there were the usual suspects: old rich lady, the general, etc. People start dying and a mystery is afoot. It's basically clue, but in point and click format.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/colonels-bequest

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Second game was another platformer that may have been earlier, I remember it being very similar in style and around the same time (or a little more modern) as the early Prince of Persia game but having scifi weapons and a spaceship/sci fi car that I think transports the protagonist back in time and you need to get back to it.
You're off on some details but you're thinking of Flashback: The Quest For Identity.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The only arcade game worth hunting for is Lucky & Wild :colbert:
My local movie theater had this in their ancient arcade room. Doubt it's still there though.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Twobirds posted:

No, this was older. Carrion does indeed look amazing, though.
Wasn't it in black & white? Think I also remember what you're talking about but the name's not coming to mind. Remember the blob going through vents, toilets, etc....however I might be mixing it up with that game where you're a skeleton in a trenchcoat that was compared to Gunpoint at the time (which I'm also forgetting the name of).

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Alright gamegurus, an old friend of mine brought up a Sega Genesis game that we used to play together as kids but neither one of us could remember what the hell it was called.

It was an isometric army game between a red team and a blue team. It was actiony and campy and we remembered that if soldiers got close enough they'd start beating the poo poo out of each other. The only thing Im sure of is the box had two dudes screaming at each other.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/general-chaos

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

ArkhamPraetor posted:

Early 00s/Late 90s sidescrolling PC "puzzle" platformer, where several of the puzzles were adventure game logic nonsense. Think you could choose between the stages, I remember there being chalkboard, fungal/graveyard, and hospital themed ones. It had limited lives to do everything before having to start from the beginning. Most of the environments were hand drawn in a grainy cartoon style. I don't remember the game being particularly good but I was reminded of it recently by something and now its bothering me.
Was your character an egg?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dizzy_(series)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

There was a(n early-access?) space colony simulator from like 2-3 years ago that had its own thread, but I can’t find it now. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Oxygen Not Included, as I remember it being an overhead view, and I really dislike ONI’s art style. I think there was a combat element, like defending your base from raiders or something.
Both goon-made:

The Spatials: https://store.steampowered.com/app/346420/

The Spatials 2: Galactology: https://store.steampowered.com/app/450700/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

3D arcadey top-down/Zelda perspective shooter game from the late 90s/early 2000s. This was the era where people where just starting to do "cool" 3D stuff (pretty sure it came out after Quake 2 though), so it had a lot of glowy poo poo and particles and whatever. You controlled some kind of military dude or maybe a robot. Vaguely futuristic setting, your weapons were mainly laser/energy-based and I think you had grenades. You walked around a level shooting things, and I'm fairly sure you had multiple weapons, and could pick up grenade/ammo pickups as you went along. The only other thing I remember is that you would occasionally blow up stuff in the environment to proceed, and I think the first stage might have been an oil refinery or something like that? Something involving pipes.

Longshot but: https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/millennium-soldier-expendable

Came packaged with a few videocards at the time.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SoR Blaze posted:

Does anyone know of a first person game, probably a shooter, where you fight dinosaurs and can get your eye pecked out by a pterodactyl? This loss of an eye was represented in your field of view being more limited. It was from sometime in the mid nineties I think. My first thought was Shadowcaster, or something from that era. Definitely not turok, as we never had a turok game in our house. Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.gog.com/game/robinsons_requiem_collection

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Help me remember a game on PS. It was a variant of that old arcade game where you had to draw lines to cut out/paint parts of an area, except you played as a squad of mechanics boarding giant enemy airships with saws and blowtorches to cut them into pieces.
Going to guess this by narrowing down the year and searching for Qix variants on Mobygames: https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/qix-neo

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok thread, try this one...

Timeframe: around when the first MDK was released
Platform: PC
Genre: Action platforming?

Details: This was a demo my friend had, and it reminded me a LOT of Batman Forever for consoles, as it was side scrolling, there were 2 or 3 different heights in each area that you could jump up and down to (likely whenever there was an opening or ladder, can't remember), and everything looked digitized. I believe there was gunplay. Maybe it was in a sewer, but I remember that it was either that, or it was just grimy in general.

The first time this really popped back into my head was 2012, when Xcom Enemy Unknown was released; that faux 3D in the Xcom base (or rather, 3D on a 2D plane with a fixed perspective) brought back my memory of this game in a strong way.

This isn't a case of 'oh my god, this has been bugging me forever!', but rather something that I'll think about from time to time and that doesn't really bug me, but every time I do think about it, I always tell myself 'I'll ask goons what it was'. Today's the day I do.

The game's demo might've actually been on the same disc that MDK was, I don't know.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/hunter-hunted

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone help me remember the name of this old PC game. It had really early 3D graphics but they were still just sprites. It was a fantasy battle game where you controlled 1 of 8 (I think) factions that represented typical fantasy poo poo; light, dark, water, fire etc. You had to travel across a map clearing out dungeons and building up armies of adventuring parties or.... something.

Notably, it had really bad voice acting and a very cheesy cutscene that played whenever you lost.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/404040/Lords_of_Magic_Special_Edition/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Beaten, but I'll add that it had an amazing box. A 3D "mask" in the front of the cover art, so that the eyes would seem to follow you.

This is cool as poo poo. And I thought Origin made the best "feelies" (I fuckin' hate that word) with the rune bag in UW1 and the notepad & star map in Planet's Edge. I never got into or owned any Infocom games unfortunately.

I'm sure there's better poo poo that I'm forgetting but I miss standard editions including what you have to pay like $100+ for now in a
Kickstarter campaign tier.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

John Lee posted:

I'm looking for a PC puzzle game from between ten and twenty years ago. The idea was that you were a detective helping solve murders (I think), but you kept receiving Zodiac-style messages that you had to decode through ever more obscure methods and real-life knowledge. You had to enter your email, and the plot played out in real time, with you getting email updates and orders from superiors though email. It's bugging the hell out of me, because I usually remember the name - pretty sure it was punchy, one-word stuff.
Majestic
https://www.mobygames.com/game/majestic-special-edition

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

John Lee posted:

Nope, that wasn't it! There was no interaction with other players, and no communication other than email.
Google "pc game arg" and see if anything looks familiar

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

is nuclear strike good? the pc version wouldn't run on anything except win95 or something so my copy was useless

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Exodus From The Earth

Wait maybe not. It was something like that though.

EDIT: It's the same one where the 2 coworkers are talking endlessly about monkeys and vacationing in Borneo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKNvGuAnGHc

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 7, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

barkbell posted:

I remember having a fold out poster (one that came as an ad in the box of another game) for game gear or genesis. It was real dark with screencaps and at the bottom was an illustration of a guy in a mask with a bloody chainsaw and maybe a bloody sword too. What game was this advertising?
Look up Chakan The Forever Man in the case your memory might be getting muddled. Also check primarily Game Gear games; they included a lot more posters with their games than Genesis ever did.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

i think of demons posted:

A friend had this weird, possibly incomplete PC RPG from a bargain bin 10 CD-ROM collection back in the late 90s. It had pre-rendered environments and looked like a very drab version of Myst in a fantasy setting, but it had combat with animated models of skeletons etc. The game starts out with a video panning over a cabal of evil wizards standing around a ritual circle on a small island with a giant skull built into it. They all had different themes, ie the necromancer, the water guy, etc. You then explore the island and the crypts underneath. I've looked around a couple times and it seems like it's hopelessly obscure.
Guessing either
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/nemesis-the-wizardry-adventure
or
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/world-of-aden-thunderscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Could also be Pharaoh's Tomb.

I hate this loving game with a passion but I sunk SO MANY HOURS into it