Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Frankosity posted:

I've got 2 games I've been curious about for years.

1. was for the Genesis/SNES, a sci-fi sidescrolling shooter. I remember going through a level (possibly the first) and under some kind of condition, your player character gets equipped with a suit of power armour or something that looks kind of like an astronaut suit. Then you go through the level again, but the colour scheme is different and you're more powerful. It's kind of muddled, I'm afraid...

Your game is Keith Courage in Alpha Zone for the TG-16, my friend!

Now then...

There was a game with a monkey with big lips who'd run around shooting fireballs from his mouth.

And another game where you're in the future fighting bad guys and every level starts with the guy saying 'send a maniac to catch one'.

Both were Genesis. HELP!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

I played a rail shooter in an arcade a few times in the mid-nineties. It had a sci-fi theme where you fought mechs and robots, but I can't remember much else. The final level had you escaping from a building before a bomb went off, and I didn't make it in time the one time I got that far.

Project Horned Owl? Second PSX game I ever played, after Ridge Racer.

Edit: Oh no, you said arcade. Nevermind. Well, still. That's a good game!

JuSt
A
MaCaRoNi
SaLaD
LoViN'
MaN

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Turnip Head posted:

Yes! This is totally it! I started to realize it was likely NES because I remember playing it on his family room tv, not the one in his room with the Genesis hooked up. Thanks!

Maybe this, but I remember it as a boat with a fan on it and you'd shoot helicopters, I think. Anyways, I'll check this one out and see. Thanks for the help!

AQUA AQUA AQUA JACK?

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

TheElectronicOne posted:

How many of you guys played this when you were little? Fess up.

http://www.archive.org/details/012280

Not me, gently caress! Thanks for bringing this to my attention---Gahan Wilson is a good friend of my mother's and I've been blessed with several personalized autographed books. I met him a few times, really awesome dude.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
Fun fact: Pac-in-Time is a rebranded graphics hack of a game called FURY OF THE FURRIES.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Vendetta77 posted:

You're an intelligent man. I found Tengen on wikipedia and it had a list of their games.

The game is Fantasy Zone for NES, if you're curious,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUFrxr6Tv4

Thanks bud you're the bomb.

the Sega arcade/console versions are vastly superior. Check out Fantasy Zone 2: The Tears of Opa Opa.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Diabetic posted:

This is going to be a stretch and I doubt it was ever released here but here goes:

I remember in an old EGM issue had Busby on the cover when they were previewing the SNES release, anyway, in this same issue, they had a Zelda clone that looked like it was being released on the Super Famicom, the main character looked like the exact replica of Link but had black hair with a gold band in it, and a red cape and was played from the top down perspective. The preview showed him on a ship that was being attacked by a giant octopus with it being SNES graphics it had the connecting orange and brown balls to represent tentacles. I have no idea what this game is, or if it was even released in Japan let alone the US, any help would be appreciated.

That's Wolfteam's Neugier, scheduled for release as 'The Journey Home: Quest for the Throne' by Renovation.

Fan translation. I was thrilled when this was released!

edit: dammit! anyway, an official release was scheduled, they even had box art and they were taking pre-orders. I had my parents order it for me and it never arrived.

bonus: the much less-ugly japanese box.

secretplot fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 5, 2010

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Deceased Crab posted:

Okay, this one's obscure. I only vaguely remember it, as I think I may have been 6 or 7 when I played it. But it had some very distinctive parts to it, so it might be doable.

It was an Arcade game, multiplayer (I'm thinking 2-4) with ship based... combat? I can't quite remember. Distinctive because you could buy upgrades between levels. And there aren't a whole hell of a lot of multiplayer arcade games with ship based combat where you buy upgrades. Or maybe it was sell things. I have no idea.

It's been haunting me for a while. Any ideas?

Ordyne? Or a Fantasy Zone game?

Or do you mean ship as in boat? Maybe In The Hunt?

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Sutureself posted:

Okay this has been killing me for years. Back in the mid 80's there was a 2-player arcade game that also had a (1 player) port to the Sega Master System. It was like a side-scrolling RPG with pretty colorful graphics. There was a money and shopping system, but what I remember most is this one part where you could run through like 2 screens of water, which means you died 2 or 3 times from constant health drain, to get to a secret shop with stuff I could never afford. "okay, mom, I'm out of quarters, let's go home :("

Wonder Boy in Monster Land

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Sutureself posted:

Not a bad guess, but EVERYONE knows Gauntlet! Elf shot the food!!

But this particular unknown game was a side-scroller. I feel it was more akin to Wonder Boy in Monster Land as opposed to Gauntlet. Except maybe with quarter-eating elements to it.

Edit: missed your post, secretplot. I had WBiML for the SMS so I'm pretty sure it wasn't that... unless it had a 2-player arcade cabinet that I remember as being different.

Gasp! Could it have been Cadash, for the Genesis, and not the SMS? It's the only other side-scrolling arcade rpg with a shop hidden in deadly water I can think of.

The trick to getting through the water is avoiding it, then beating the kraken, and then you can breathe underwater!

Anyway I hope this is the game or I will be stumped and sad.

PS you're better off with the MAME version. At least you can insert more quarters--the Genesis version gives you three continues to plow through the whole game. And it's missing the priestess and ninja. TG16 version isn't bad, and I think it even lets you save.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Red Budenovka posted:

This is a "dragon shoot'em up" of which I saw videos on youtube a while ago.

I thought the name was Drakengard but I don't recognize it when I looked it up recently. It too had multiple endings apparently, most of them depressing. The final boss-battle is a giant statue/angel/god of sorts that comes crashing down into a city and you have to circle it and bounce back soundwaves (songs?) which the statue-thing shoots out against you.

?
warning spoilers ahead!

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Meepy posted:

It was for SNES, I think.
Pretty sure it was a JRPG, pretty sure it wasn't Final Fantasy, pretty sure in battles you would have an enemies at the top in front of you kind of view, sort of like EarthBound. My most vivid memories of the game as a child were block puzzles I couldn't figure out and fighting this guy who looked like a marshmallow.

Can't for the life of me remember what it is, been trying to find it again for years.

I know Lufia was already suggested, but maybe Lufia 2? That introduced Capsule Monsters, creatures who you get to keep as party members once they're defeated. Foomy looks a bit like a marshmallow.

Also Lufia 2 has block puzzles, Lufia 1 doesn't.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
Is this your card?

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Ostego posted:

Ok i got one that I've been trying to remember for almost a year.

It was a really simple game, basically just a flat level where aliens crawl towards you and you have to blast them with different weapons, like the old favorites pistol, shotty, etc. WASD movement, mouse aim, top down shooter just like asteroids. All the bullets had trails.

You have to move around just like in Asteroids but instead of rocks it was little (I think mostly yellow) aliens that chaced you around rather than floating in straight lines.

I can't remember if it was download or flash based, but its been years since I played it

Its very similar to a game called Rumblers but more shadowed 3-D sprites :

Screen shot here: here

Crimsonland?

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
I think he confirmed it was Lufia 2 in the end.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
Magic Johnson?

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
This came up earlier too, I think your game might be Cadash. The Genesis version is near-impossible to beat, since the original game was a quarter-cruncher and you have very limited continues in the port.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Mr. Owl posted:

I'm trying to find a fairly old game I played for the PC years ago. It was a Japanese turn based strategy game on a hex map. You played the role of a sort of summoner/wizard that battled a opponent of equal abilities. The goal was to knock the other guy out by reducing his HP to zero, but each turn you could summon a monster of a element type to defend you and attack.

Each monster had different abilities and movement ranges and so forth, and each summoner you'd randomly get at the beginning or fight against had different stats, some moved really far, some could melee well etc. I'm really at a loss trying to locate this game again, as I don't recall its name (I believe it had an English title or was given one) and searching so far has not got me anywhere. The whole thing was in Japanese but it was playable and fun without translations.

edit: I suck, found it after rummaging through some old old backup CDs. Vantage Master Online for the interested, guess I didn't look hard enough the first time.

That's a drat good game. drat hard, but drat good. It has characters from Ys, Brandish, Popful Mail and Legend of Heroes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007

Insonix posted:

In RPG in which your character at the beginning is sort of defeated and then a dog comes and takes most of your power and transform into something human. For the snes I think, I can't remember any more details.

It sounds like Shadowrun! The bit you mention happens at 1:08