Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sweeper posted:

It's an old game I don't remember much about, all I can really remember was it was hard as gently caress when I was young and the opening thing is you have to get into a turret and you just shoot down planes until the alarm goes off. After that I think you get into a plane that might look like a stealth fighter and you fly somewhere...

You're thinking of Cyberia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sweeper posted:

Holy poo poo you are right :pirate:

Thank you so much! I don't know how you got that from my description lol

Eh, I'm just that good I guess. :c00l:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's probably The Immortal, SpaceBees.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

glod posted:

I remember playing some game on one of those "50 games!!!" shareware discs. It was a puzzle game that kinda reminded me of Bubble Bobble, except you could move the character that was shooting the bubbles up. Generally there'd be a bunch of blocks in the air that you had to shoot matching blocks at to make them disappear. You could only shoot the blocks diagonally from your character (I remember being really bad at aiming them as a kid) and the only way to lose was to not hit matching blocks. Each level had a theme to it and would have different platforms and blocks to clear, like one had all the blocks as food items.

Surely someone has played this game?

That one's almost certainly Boppin', by Accursed Toys.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
A quick shuffle through Mobygames' database suggests that it's Shooting Range.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Arcsech posted:

Mine is a Win95 game where you flew around as a UFO and had to abduct cows. But if you abducted a cow that was acting funny, it turned out to be a mad cow and damaged you. Also farmers would try to shoot you down if you got too close to them.

I really wish I could remember more about that game. That computer lab was also the one that introduced me to a game with a level designer, which I also wonder about, but I only remember that it was set in a jungle, which isn't enough to identify it.

Crop Circles: Escape from Planet Three

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Jetsetlemming posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a text adventure. Apparently this one was pretty popular, and got awards and poo poo for best text adventure. It's about a guy getting ready to leave for a trip to the desert to go to a get together, something similar to burning man. He's waiting for a taxi to arrive at his apartment to take him. He's feeling weird, checking his stuff, and when he tried to do his last minute packing the apartment starts pretty much falling apart, with stuff turning to sand and sand flooding out of things. It was amazing in how "real" it felt, with descriptions of stuff heard/seen outside his windows like a helicopter flying by, and songs on the radio changing as you go about the game.

I think that's Shade. It always gets mentioned in the IF threads that pop up from time to time.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

There was an RPG that came as a demo on either the Galaxy of Games Volume 2 disc or a disc called "1000+ Great Games." When it started out you were thrown into a portal which I think dumped you into a prison under the surface of the earth. You couldn't progress beyond a certain point in the demo because of a big rift in the earth you couldn't cross.

It could be the demo for Avernum/Exile.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Captain_duck posted:

Anyway a game ive looked for myself a lot, and asked before in other threads here but havent gotten the correct anwser yet is an old game. It's for one of those old "computer in a keyboard" type computers like the commodore 64 or MSX or any other type. Im sure it wasn't a spectravideo because i had that one myself. The game itself is a helicopter game, you fly a helicopter through a series of caves. I remember there being pretty big maps, and it got pretty tough to get through some parts.

I have no idea if the colors are right, but there were multiple levels like that with increasingly narrow paths the deeper you came. No idea what you were doing either, maybe rescueing people from underground. No idea if there were enemies or not.

So does anyone have an idea?

This is a really long shot, but could it be H.E.R.O?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

menieres_4_life posted:

There was an NES action/RPG game in the early 90's where the protagonist was a silent red headed girl that would go crawling through these absurdly complicated maze dungeons. The graphics were similar to Crystalis.

I remember the twist being that the main character wasn't actually a girl, but was a boy, and in order to access the last few dungeons you needed to remove the curse and climb some rope to your home village (which won't let you in until you're male).

Anybody have any ideas?

I'm pretty sure that one's Faria

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

FukFallingDamage posted:

It was featured as a demo in an old issue of PC Gamer and it involved floating islands going around and shooting at each other. I know nothing else.

Stratosphere, maybe?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lexical Unit posted:

1. Was a pirate themed text adventure. This was before I could read so my mom would read the text to me and ask me what I wanted to do. There was a part in the game where if you stood on a window sill and said "yo ho" you would teleport to somewhere else. Also there was a prison with an open cell with a note in it, and if you went into the cell to read the note, then the cell shut behind you. The note said "game over" or something to that effect.

This one's Pirate Adventure, and I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread. I had it for the Apple II, but it was apparently on the Spectrum and other machines too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

joooohn posted:

I don't think this is worthy of a new thread so I may as well ask here:

There was a game on the PS1 that was not entirely dissimilar to Pokemon, you kinda hunted and trained these animals then bred them together to make new combinations. I only played a demo of it, and this was few years ago now, but I'd love to try and pick it up now. Any idea what I'm talking about? It wasn't a digimon game...

EDIT: Or any Monster Rancer iteration, as far as I'm aware (though those games were great!)

Could it be Jade Cocoon?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Entity posted:

Can any of you help me find the title of this game? I think the game was released around 2003-2004, and I used to play a demo version that came on a magazine coverdisc. Basically, you had to scare these sorority girls out of a haunted house. You got to control where to place these ghosts, (I think you could also place some ghostly noises, to create a sense of fear). I think the girls also spoke in 'simlish', and the graphics were similar in style to The Sims 2.

That one's Ghost Master. It's available on Steam now, I think.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DarthJeebus posted:

I remember playing a very esoteric game along time ago on DOS. It came on a CD ROM and the premise was you had a space ship which could be upgraded and outfitted with various weapons and eventually upgraded to bigger ship types. You also had to recruit crew members and there were a lot of small arms and items the could be equipped with.

The goal of the game was to claim planets. When you landed on a planet you had to secure it by building a shield or beacon generator or something in each corner of the map, as well as killing off all the hostile aliens. You could also board enemy ships and capture them. During these parts of the game, the pathfinding was absolutely TERRIBLE and almost impossible to play.

While in your ship, you moved left/right and accelerated/decelerated with the arrow keys, and used the mouse to fire your weapons. When travelling between planets, you used a star map and were presented with a little cutscene of a generic ship going into hyperspace or some poo poo.

Anyways, my description is vague as is my memory of this old game, but hopefully someone out there remembers it. Sooner or later I plan on making an indie remake of the game.

Command Adventures: Starship.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ruination_Mk.II posted:

Try this one on for size.

Its an older PC game that plays similarly to myst. I think the gimmick was you were chasing after some dude who stole a time traveling suit... and you had to follow him in yours. I think the suit was called the Pegasus Unit or something. Any ideas?

Probably one of the Journeyman Project games.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

IS A CRACKBABY posted:

I seem to remember a couple games that i rented at about the same time. The first is a comic book fighting game, where you were a guy that went panel to panel in a comic beating up bad guys. the other was a top down rpg. for some reason i seem to think of it as the predecessor to Quest 64, but i'm not sure. both of these SHOULD have been on the genesis, but I unno

The first one is probably Comix Zone.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
PC shooter, 3D graphics, futuristic art style. It predates the cel shading craze by a couple of years I think, but they were going for that kind of style.

Each map is a horizontally oriented arena several screens wide, that the player can traverse at will. One key flips your ship's orientation, so that you can move right and fire left, or vice versa, and another changes between one of your two weapon systems.

There's a minimap in one corner, that shows the whole arena and the location of enemies. It's important to destroy enemies quickly, otherwise they upgrade themselves to become faster, stronger and meaner. Destroyed enemies sometimes drop power-ups; moving over one upgrades your currently active weapon system, to a maximum of ten levels. Your current upgrade level is shown as two horizontal bars, divided into ten squares.

For the first couple of maps, there are walls so you can't fall off the playing field. For the third or fourth one (the last I made it to), the walls are gone and the field is particularly narrow. The first boss fight is on the same map, against a gigantic yellow spider robot that moves back and forth down the middle of the map, sometimes leaping high into the air. It has several flashing weak spots, I think four on the front and two on the back, but the back ones are hard to hit because the drat thing rotates its entire central body to face you when you try to bum rush it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Peas and Rice posted:

Around 1992 or so there was a game that had primitive isometric 3d, similar to Twilight: 2000's system (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/twilight-2000/screenshots/gameShotId,126928/). It was set in medieval Europe - for some reason I'm thinking Germany - and mixed history with some magical elements. Anyone?

Darklands, possibly?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

chairface posted:

One I played at a putt-putt arcade in the late 80s. NES level graphics or maybe a little worse. It was pretty standard as far as such things go, but I remember enemies dying in an odd way; they would like melt. Not fall over and be a body on the ground, not do their hit animation and vanish or fade line-by-line, I'm quite certain they melted, and the resulting puddles stayed for at least a short time before vanishing (or not.) The vast majority of enemies were just different colors of the same guy. I don't call it palette-swapping because there wasn't really a palette. Guys would be one color with some minor details in brown/black/etc, and that one color would be changed. Either the hero or some bad guys were predominantly white, yellow, green, or blue. I believe but am not sure the main character had a gun (notable in the side-scrolling beat-em-up genre) or could pick one up periodically. It is possible the gun would make enemies melt and other attacks would not?

This one sounds like Rolling Thunder to me.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

martin4tw posted:

There was this PS1 game that I played and for the life of me I cannot remember it's name. It was sort of a mech game with some heavy japanese rpg style plot elements going on. You are on some sort of dangerous mission exploring some generic base and the game had a lot of dialog between the people in the mechs. I seem to remember there being a general sort of rpg-like upgrade system to your mechs. There were only a handful of characters and you only play as one. The game conveyed a lot of isolation and suspense. Lots of doors and corridors. I do remember the game being extremely hard, and one distinct thing I remember is there is a big betrayal of at the end from one of the characters.

I want to say this is Kileak: the DNA Imperative, but that was much more excruciating than suspenseful.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Nimbus posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of this old PC game (late 80's/early 90's). You were like the commander of earth or something and there was a chain of planets separating you and the evil enemy planet. You could take over planets and teraform them or something. You would fight by sending out troops in space transports and you would set how expensive their armor was and how cautious/suicidal they were.

I remember you would choose the difficulty of the bosses by setting their commander. First guy was a pushover. The next two were harder and behaved differently (I think one of them looked like a mantis or some poo poo). The last guy was almost impossible to beat and looked like a really muscular guy with a flat iron for a face.

This is Overlord. Or Supremacy-- the title seems to be different across platforms.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 2, 2010

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mimiga posted:

My brother and I are both failing to remember the name of a game we played many a year ago.

It was a graphical adventure game, from the DOS era. I think we only played the demo, which would explain why I can only remember 15 minutes worth of game play. You started off in a modern day house, and it's dark and raining. The actual bulk of the game starts when you go over to your PC and start up an generic fantasy adventure game.

There's only two concrete details I can remember: there was a phone you could use to call people (before you started the fantasy game section), and that upon starting the fantasy game if you selected the sexy sidekick it was an immediate game-over.

Anybody remember this weird game-in-a-game?

This is almost definitely Companions of Xanth.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Something about that makes me want to say an early Rainbow Six, probably from a review I read, but I think that went first-person during the execution stage.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Hoplosternum posted:

Ok, noone got my first one, so *fingers crossed* for this one:

Also off a 100+ shareware/demo games cd from mid-late 90s.

The game starts with a character that can't remember who/where he is I think.

The game view is looking downwards on a sandy island and your character walks around it. I can't remember if you use the arrow keys or click the mouse for movement...

There's lots of rocky bits on the islands and a few village areas. You can go inside huts to talk to people.

Occasionally monsters that look like giant dragonflies come and attack as you're walking around. Once they're dead, they go all squashed on the ground with orange blood/goo around them.

That sounds an awful lot like Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

This is a long shot, but I'm looking for a shovelware/freeware game that came on one of those terrible '1000 Games for Win95' CDs.
-Generics Fantasy first person dungeon crawler.
-Pretty large set of races and classes to choose from.
-The economy was strange, you could go hours and only make a few thousand dollars, or you could randomly find an artifact weapon and sell it for millions of dollars.
-When you died your corpse was taken to a hospital or morgue, and you could pay to resurrect from a bank account, if you couldn't you would have to make a new character who could resurrect past characters by paying for them.
-The graphics were sorta windowed (like the mini map was in it's own little window) instead of being DOS contained, more sleek but also more generic.
-I remember it was a sequel and that maybe it was a one word title?

I know I'm describing probably hundreds of games, but any help would be appreciated.

Could it be Mordor/Demise? It went through several design changes, but was a multi-pane Windows program originally.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Defiler posted:

PC game, one of those build your empire and expand your borders ones where you started at a stone age like tech level, and eventually got this crazy future era where you could build battle-mechs.

The part that stumps everybody is the mechs part, but I clearly remember screenshots of roman legions fighting against a huge battletech-like mecha.

Civilization: Call to Power had battlemechs close to the end of the tech tree, didn't it?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Also, an old adventure game, I think made by Sierra, where there were "levels" or continents or something on the interior of the planet, and you traveled between them and sort of advanced through them as chapters.

Septerra Core?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

alejandro posted:

Hey there guys. So I was playing Crime Fighters 2/Vendetta, and I picked up a shotgun (see the pic below). The pose/grin of the main character holding it instantly reminded me of another game's protagonist doing the same.

Blackthorne, maybe?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I remember some hilarious Lets Play videos of a really lovely game where you go to a couple's apartment and you have to try and save their marriage. It was basically a gimmick game to showcase a supposedly revolutionary AI where they respond to anything you type with a real conversion. As you might imagine if was insanely broken.

Facade

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

trunkwontopen posted:

Trying to remember the name of a game from a long long time ago. It was a side scrolling adventure game, I think it featured a ninja/karate type character, and you went through various levels. Most were inside this lair type dungeon, and I distinctively remember one of the later levels having these bolts of electricity that lit up the floor that you had to jump over.

I don't remember the system that it was on, it looked too graphically enhanced to be on the Atari 2600, but I definitely know it wasn't on a PC, because my friend at the time didn't have one, or would even know how to hook one up onto his TV. I can safely date this as being in the 1988-1990 era.

The electrified floor makes me suspect that it might be Bruce Lee on the C-64, though that's definitely earlier than '88-90.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Wild Bearcat Attack posted:

What game is this? I stumbled upon it in an article and I remember playing it!

EDIT: Maybe you'll have better luck if I post the link

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2011/04/01/an-overload-of-nostalgic-90s-pc-game-screenshots/games_21/

I know this one because it was posted in the 'Name the Game from the Screenshot' thread. Mystic Towers.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

thepopstalinist posted:

I played a game a long time ago. It was an adventure game, and I remember a few things about it -

- Came out in the early-mid 90's, I think.
- I seem to recall it having both FMV (for cutscenes and the like) and 3D models, but might have just been the latter
- It took place in a cyberpunk / sci-fi universe.
- There are two scenes I distinctly remember. In the first, the Player Character encounters a woman who attempts to seduce him. You can choose to give in or resist her. If you kiss her, her boyfriend (the heavy, apparently) calls security on you and they're now hostile to you. If you resist, things continue as normal. So I think it was a branching game.
- Second scene, the PC comes across a barrel filled with a black oily substance. Dipping your hand in it once, it seems harmless and you shake it off. But if you touch it twice, it kills you somehow.
- I believe there was rudimentary cover-based shooting portions (you hided behind cover and used the mouse / keyboard to guide your aiming reticule at someone shooting at you).

Anybody recall this game? Thanks in advance!

The scene that branches depending on whether or not you kiss a woman makes me think that it could be Cyberia.

lucasw99 posted:

I've two games I am having trouble naming.

1) Top down shooting PC game where you drove around a city that was pretty much made up of square blocks around about 1999. All I can really remember is this one mission where somone plants a bomb on a friends car/ship and he gets blown up mid mission. Sorry I don't know anymore about it

Traffic Department: 2192, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

boner meter posted:

I've got a massive urge to play this and I'm dying if I can remember more than a couple of details:
DOS or PC RTS game with a fantasy theme, players chose from a large array of element based factions ((Earth, Fire, Light, Dark, Chaos etc) from a large circular menu. The battles themselves took place on a large chessboard patterned terrain area. It was very similar in layout to the total war games, i.e. large campaign map, autocomplete battles if you want etc (as a kid I remember autocompleting the battles seeming netting you a shitload more reward than doing them yourself). I dont think it had a particular licence, just fairly generic Greyhawk style wizards n dragons style units. Please help, because I remember it being great. Thanks :)

I want to suggest Fantasy Empires, but only because fighting battles yourself was such a worthless undertaking that there was no point but to auto-complete them.