Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Shugyousha posted:

I have one game title, I just can't seem to remember too, though my description may be too vague to get more than a general impression...

It was a 2D PC action game from around 2000 in which there were two characters (at least these are the only ones I remember), a human (in a blue suit?) and a brown colored beast. Im not really sure about the single player (or if there even was one...) but in the 2 player MP (simultaneous on one PC) one player had control over the human and the other one over the beast both trying to kill the opponent by taking advantage of the not too large, not very colorful (mostly grey?) 2D plattform environment and a weapon arsenal, which offered multiple weapon choices like explosives, guns and some sort of throwing knives (of which I seem to have the most vivid memory).

The game popped into my head after seeing the Bionic Commando: Rearmed release Trailer, but the title I can't remember for the life of me... (oh, and it's not Black Thorne. The visual and the gaming style are quite different...)

Please help! :supaburn:

That sounds like Hunter Hunted by Sierra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Naman posted:

Not getting my hopes up, but I vaguely remember this arcade game in about the early '90s that had this green living planetoid thing with like... a trunk, and it and the accompanying music creeped me out big time as a kid. I _think_ the gameplay was similar to Asteroids. I do know it's in space. (I know, that doesn't really narrow it down.)

Sounds like it could be Blasteroids.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

nominal posted:

There is one that has been bugging me for the longest. It was an arcade game I always played at the roller rink in about '87 or so. The view was top down and had something to do with a bunch of armed thugs in cars driving off with your girlfriend. You have a car that you can drive around in and shoot at stuff. It was kind of neat because if your car took enough damage, you could actually jump out of it and run around on foot. Sure, you'd almost always end up getting ran over by swarms of enemy cars, but at the time actually being able to get out of your vehicle was a pretty novel gameplay concept. I remember that I always got killed by these drat semi trucks that had rows of cannons on them.

I blew so much of my allowance on that game and never did beat it.

That could be The Speed Rumbler. Here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JvkTEPx34I

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Apotheosis posted:

I'm trying to remember a game from the late 90's or so. I played the trial version of it years ago, so my memory of it is a little sketchy. Here's what I remember:

-Made by Microsoft
-Was a vehicle simulator/strategy game
-You could drive tanks, helicopters, and planes
-You lost the game by losing your floating base station
-You could blow up your base station by commanding one of the gun turrets and just shooting yourself
-Post-apocalyptic setting
-I seem to recall a line from one of the briefings: "...released a flock of white doves."

Thanks in advance. This has really been bugging me lately.

That sounds like Urban Assault.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Sweeper posted:

I know this is an old thread, but I can't remember the name of a game! It is an old racing game where you flew flying car type of things and one of the tracks looked like it was in egypt or something. The flying car racing is what I remember the most. Also, it was in 3d, not 2d.

Can you tell us what type of system it was on (computer, console, arcade, etc)? Also, give us a more specific time frame if you can, even if all you can do is narrow it down to a decade.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Tsunemori posted:

I used to go to a friend's house to play on her Sega Genesis. Should be around 1992/1993/1994, there's this side-scrolling game, kinda like Contra/Megaman. The character you play has two rings with him, and through out the game you will acquire more magical rings, and by combining two different rings you can shoot out different types of projectiles, e.g. one combination shoots a straight laser, another shoots a slow laser on a wavy path, etc.

I remember it being a pretty badass game, but it's been waaaaay too long.

That sounds kinda like Gunstar Heroes.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Roadside Attraction posted:

Game on the NES.

It was a space shooter, and you moved your ship circular, basically like a blender. You visited each planet, played through two stages ( I think) then you fight a boss. I remember the boss of earth being three spaceships.

Cant remember the loving name and it's been driving me mad for about 3 years.

Sounds like Gyruss.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Shanty posted:

Going mad trying to think of this old Mac game!

Basically it was a myst-like deal, first person view of shoddily rendered scenery. You went around solving puzzles, I guess, and occasionally a man would pop out to tell you something. The gimmick was that it was based on an old quiz show, I think, and the stuff you found in the puzzles made sort of a chain (shown at the bottom of the screen). The guy would tell you about the stuff you found, and was probably the original host of the show. Old guy, grayish hair? He was live action footage, by the way.
I distinctly remember graphite being one of the first such links that you got after solving one of those "rub a notepad to see what was written on the previous page" puzzles with a graphite pencil. I'm pretty sure the number you found was the combination to a safe (which was in the room behind the notepad).
I also remember there being a 1950s style American diner in one of the first locations, as well as possibly a castle, a moat or a well. There was some kind of significant mechanic where you had to fill out the chain before moving on to a new location. Later on it got REALLY weird and you wound up in a pyramid or something or maybe it was a hotel? :psyduck:
I may be mixing it up with another game entirely, but I think you were meant to stop an evil magician or something, but this I'm not at all sure about since that doesn't seem to jive with the more pointless chain mechanic and also I've played a lot of these dumb games. :shobon:

I've been googling this like crazy, but I can only turn up the BBC quiz "Only Connect" which sounds right, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with the game after all.

If anyone has even the foggiest idea about what the game was or even which television show might have inspired it (if I haven't made that up), I'd be absolutely ECSTATIC.

Connections perhaps? http://www.mobygames.com/game/connections

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Brut posted:

Ok so it was a first person shooter, it was mostly set ourdoors and at night, the later levels had a creepy constant owl sound playing in the background, and I think the final boss was some sort of massive amount of...ducks or chickens coming out of a spaceship. This was on the PC, I think on windows 95 but I'm really not sure.

That sounds like it could be Redneck Rampage.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Babs Johnson posted:

Trying to remember a console driving game I played at a friends house in 1998 or so, either on Nintendo 64 or Playstation I think. It had this stunt driving mode which was the only one we played, driving around this bizarre arena trying to do stunts off of weirdly shaped gray and blue structures. Hitting the weird shapes and ramps at different angles would send your car flying off in a combination of flips and rotations and rolls etc, and the game would flash points on the screen based on how many stunts you could combine in one. If I remember right it had car damage, so the stunts would gently caress up your car until it exploded or stopped working. Then you would respawn and do more stunts. It was definitely one of the funnest games I've ever played.

San Francisco Rush 2049 possibly?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Ok, here goes nothing. This will be a tough one I think, as my description will probably be pretty vague.

Years ago, I remember playing an arcade game that reminded me thematically and aesthetically of something close to the Golden Axe universe. However, the game seemed like it was somewhere between a sidescroller and an isometric game. You could be one of a few typical fantasy character archetypes, and I can't exactly remember but maybe you could be one of like three people that traveled in a group (the other two being AI or other players next to you). But then again maybe that wasn't the case, and you really travelled alone. I cna't remember for sure. The game was a beat'em'up.

When I say that the game seemed like it was somewhere between a sidescroller and an isometric game, I mean it was sort of like a mix somewhere between Turtles in Time and Diablo. The characters took up more screen space than characters in Diablo, but less screen space than the turtles. The floor was split into segments, none of which ever covered the whole screen, and and the game made a lot of use of vertical screen space. I remember the sky (or other background) being viewable in the background though, so it wasn't quite like Diablo where the ground takes up the entire screen... however, often times the game made extensive use of vertical travel, placing lots of floor segments "beneath" other floor segments relative to the screen, so at times there could have been "ground" territory that reached the top of the screen. The environments, I think, were suited to this type of aesthetic, so the levels were things like cliffsides or lots of tiny little mesas in the desert joined by bridges, or dark castles with lots of tiny towers and staircases.

If I remember right, despite all this vertical space, there was only one path you could take... it's just that the path wrapped all around the screen instead of sticking to the classic "left to right" method of side scrolling.

Again, all this was a heavily fantasy environment. I also want to say there was some element of collecting treasure or gold, but I can't be completely certain about that. I'm pretty sure it was sprite based, and had more of a vivid color scheme than a subdued, brownish one. Not "Japanese epilepsy inducing" vivid, but definitely more colorful than, say, early PS3 games or Diablo.

That's about all I've got. I'll edit the post if I think of anything else.

Gaiapolis kinda fits with what you're saying.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

As close as these are to my descriptions, I don't believe they are screens of the game I'm remembering.

If it helps, the game seemed more modern than Gaiapolis, as well as more horizontally viewed.

That Wizard fire game looks more similar to what I'm remembering, but the ground segment in the screenshot is way larger than the ground segments in the game in my head. Also, I believe the camera angle, again, was slightly more horizontally-facing than this game. Also, I believe the main character(s) appeared slightly smaller on the screen.

Oh, also, I seem to remember playing a muscled up barbarian character.

Dungeon Magic maybe?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Captain_Obvius posted:

I'm trying to remember a game, I remember very little about it besides the fact that it was about dinosaurs; I think you played as a human/caveman I'm not sure if you time traveled or not. It is at least 12-14 years old at this point. It was definatley a console game though i don't remember which; sega? original nintendo? super nintendo? Your character moved from left to right like in mario- although the game might have auto moved you along if you waited for too long (not sure). Finally i think you shot stuff and I remember it being little brown/beige balls. Can anyone help me out here? I know I haven't told you much but if you give me a list of old dinosaur games I can research it on my own. Thanks.

There's the Bonk series, Bignose the Caveman, Joe and Mac (aka Caveman Ninja in Europe), Joe and Mac 2, Congo's Caper, the later stages of EVO the Search for Eden, and the Adventure Island series.

If it's not there, then try this list: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/caveman-protagonists

Mobygames rarely disappoints.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Earthkrash posted:

So this was a very, very old star wars game you could play on DOS or something. The very first mission is on Tatooine for some sort of training camp in a canyon followed by some asteroid field mission I think. It's a starship game, being a pilot and owning stuff. Anybody knows?

Star Wars: Rebel Assault?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

XausF1 posted:

There's a game which I played... I THINK it was Win 3.11. Pretty sure it was.

Basically, it was a medieval/fantasy dungeon crawl. Very basic, tile based top down POV I believe, I think for the main guy all you had was a shirtless top-half. Nothing below waist. Very basic graphics/sprites. I think you started out in town with 3 buildings around you and made your way into the dungeon/castle.

Been trying to remember for ages.

Castle of the Winds?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Anjow posted:

I'm thinking of an old (pre-1990, probably) PC game that involved being a character that dug through levels - it was like Dig Dug in that the level was filled with earth and when you moved him to a space it removed the earth.

You had to collect diamonds on each level and there were stones that could be pushed and would fall, so you had to be careful you didn't inadvertently block off areas. If there was a stone on a bit of earth you could remove that earth and have the stone on top of you, but if a stone fell on you from 1 square above then it would kill you, so you couldn't move downwards once a stone was on top of you. On some levels there was a fungus that would keep expanding into any free space. There was an egg that, if disturbed, would release something that could come and kill you. That egg could be destroyed by pushing rocks onto it. The character looked a bit like Kirby.

Sounds like a Boulder Dash clone. One of the Repton games possibly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repton_%28video_game%29

In fact, the fungus makes it sound like Repton 3.

If not, it may be on this list: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/boulder-dash-variants/offset,0/so,1d/

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Anjow posted:

I didn't know what Boulder Dash was, but it does seem to be a clone of that. It isn't any of the Repton ones though, they seem to have a man rather than a character that looks like Kirby. As many games as are there, I don't actually see the one I'm thinking of on that list :(

This page has another list of similar games. One named Rock 'n' Roll on this page: http://www.bd-fans.com/CommercialWindows.html sounds like it could be it. Cavern on http://www.bd-fans.com/CommercialMSDOS.html also has fungus in it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

This game came on a demo disc bundled with an XBOX magazine in about 2005ish. From what I remember, it was a 1st-person historical war shooter. The thing I remember most was that it was ridiculously gruesome. You could shoot at corpses and completely tear apart the bodies, removing guts and limbs and everything. It was actually pretty shocking how gory this game was. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

I found a list of xbox first person shooters, if that may help jog your memory: http://games.teamxbox.com/index/xbox/by-genre/9/

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Spectrophile posted:

It was an RPG for SNES, sort of like final fantasy but when a battle initiated, it turned into a side-scroller. The characters looked kind of anime-ish IIRC. Can't remember anything else about it except that i liked it.

Tales of Phantasia perhaps?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Beardless Riker posted:

I'm looking for the name of a game I used to play on 3.1. It was a 2d overhead view of a dungeon, the graphics of the corridors were very basic (like minesweeper) and you just moved around the empty spaces with the arrow keys. Walking around you might reveal the stairs down to the level below (which looked the same except for the layout maybe) where the monsters were harder, and then you just repeated that and I think it may have only gone 10 levels. You would also randomly (I think) run into monsters that would bring up a battle screen which was half a picture of the monster and the other was your stats and commands to run, attack, or talk. You made money as you went and could run back up to a shop on a higher level to upgrade your gear and to heal.

I googled what I could think of but I mostly ran into Dungeon Keeper or Dungeon Master in most of the search results and neither of those or any games in those series (as far as I can tell) were the one I'm looking for.

It could be Castle of the Winds or Mordor: http://www.mobygames.com/game/mordor-the-depths-of-dejenol

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

I remember seeing some trailers for a game 2-4 years ago. I can't remember anything about it, other than the visual style: It was in a celshaded black and white style, sort of like the Sin City movie.

Probably Mad World, for the Wii.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Slappy Moose posted:

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but hopefully someone here remembers this certain game.

It is very much like Liero and Soldat . It was 2D, had destructible terrain, tons of different and unique weapons; all sorts of bombs/launchers, guns, and I think some tools like grappling hooks, drills, etc. It was multiplayer, you could choose between some different player models, and it had different weapon-set mods (I specifically remember one that had confetti bombs and firework guns).

If anyone can think of any game like this, please let me know. There were actually two of these types of games that I used to play a few years back and they were a blast, but I can't remember the name of any of them except Liero.

The other game I'm trying to find was very similar to the first, except it had some ridiculous amount of weapons, like 100 or so, that included dirt-bombs that exploded into piles of dirt, a radio that made it rain toxic waste (with liquid physics), and some more stuff I can't remember.

Scorched Earth had dirt bombs.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Scary Monster posted:

firstblood.wav
I was watching First Blood, and this audio bit occurs right after Rambo ambushes a cop and sticks his leg around 37 minutes in. The sound set me off like a familiar smell. I'm positive it was reused later in a video game, but I can't work out which one.

You'll hear that sometimes as an enemy's death scream in Golden Axe.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Bargain bin Laden posted:

There's one I asked here a while ago that I never found out...

PS2 game, it was a slow paced real time strategy game. You would create your own characters, give them a class like Ninja, Samurai, Knight, Barbarian, Sage and Sword Master eventually. Then on the field you'd command them to move towards enemy bases to capture them, or enemy units to combat them. Then it'd go into a fighting game during combat. I remember one specific stage for the fighting part, it was this clock tower. You'd fight on a big rotating gear. You could knock the enemy off the stage to win, or KO them the old fashioned way. The object was to capture the enemy's main castle. You'd respawn if one of your guys died, at your castle but it'd take time. If all your guys died or your castle fell it was a game over. You could also equip your characters with various weapons, that would have certain bonuses/debuffs on it, such as increased range but lowered damage, or life stealing but your health would constantly drain.

I want to say it was called Chronicles something or Something Chronicles, but searching GameFAQs PS2 section for Chronicles doesn't find it so I'm probably wrong.

That sounds like the chronicles of the sword mode in Soul Calibur 3.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

JohnnyDavidson posted:

I remember as a kid playing the very starting part of a game, and I couldn't get past the first 30 seconds of it without dying. All I remember is it had a light blue cartridge. It was for the NES.

Bible Adventures has that color of cartridge. Is that it?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

SnipeBob posted:

Trying to remember the name of a medieval themed arcade game I remember seeing at a Pizza Hut, probably in the mid 90s. It was side scrolling, and had a lot of treasure, like gold goblets etc., that you would pick up for points. Your character looked like your typical Conan-inspired hero.

The one scene that sticks out in my mind is dying by falling into a waterfall, or something similar. Your character would hold his hands in the air and slowly sink down into the water, sorta like quicksand.

It's definitely not the Legendary Axe series or the Golden Axe series.

Maybe Magic Sword?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

There was a thread about a driving game that came out and wasn't very good but has been fan patched to be awesome. I can't remember the name of the game or thread or anything. It was apparently made into a really impressive wide open driving experience where tons of vehicles could race one another. Anyone remember what it was?

And here's the thread you were talking about : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401363

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

There was this platformer, it would have been in the 90's, for PC. It was about this kid who was terrified of everything, and you had to go through the levels to find these shadows, but it would turn out that they weren't things to be terrified of, just people from the character's life. I remember my cousin also told me about this cartoon she saw that had the same name as it, which the game was probably based off of. The kid also used a yo-yo to attack.

Any help?

Nightmare Ned, or maybe one of the Pajama Sam games?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Imapanda posted:

Alright, I'll give this a shot.

Back in around 2004ish I used to always buy video game magazines that came with the little demo CDs. One of the games on a CD had you playing as a character who rode on a dragon above this MASSIVE landscape wrecking poo poo up, you could land the dragon and fight dudes on the foot and take their poo poo. I remember it had a lot of RPG aspects and I was really surprised at how open the landscape was.

I just remember exploring the world on foot or flying the dragon to defeat enemies being the features. I'm sorry this is kind of vague but I hardly remember much of it. Any clue to what this may be?

Savage Skies is another dragon riding game from this time period.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Farecoal posted:

An N64 game, I think, where you ran around in an arena as a vehicle fighting other vehicles. I remember weapon powerups, and one level that was Wild West themed and had a train.

Vigilante 8 or Vigilante 8: 2nd Offensive?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You're very much on the right track as to what I am describing but unless I'm not remembering the color palette correctly, this isn't it. I might play this anyway because it looks pretty rad.

The starting area may have been a grassy field with the dungeon a few spaces(turn-based, grid-based movement) ahead. The dungeon's outside walls were yellow or beige I think. I'm sorry for being so vague but I was probably about 7 when I played this. It might have been my first non-FPS, non-Raptor PC game.

Anvil of Dawn maybe?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

Sorry it's none of these. I'm pretty sure the levels were just flat and the first level was definitely outdoors. I was thinking medieval warrior but it may have been a more generic double dragon style tough guy.

Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Sir Azrael posted:

This is a longshot but I remember renting an NES game way back when that had a first person view like in shadowgate, but may have had a play style more like Eye of the Beholder. I remember getting a short way into the game every time and happening upon a fall of brown rocks and a little waterfall and pool area and getting stuck. If I recall coorectly, it was because every time you checked out the water some kind of fairies or will o wisps came out and kicked my rear end. My memory is probably faulty as hell, but I've been trying to remember this game for something like 15 years now.

Swords and Serpents, Wizardry, Wizardry 2, Pool of Radiance, or The Bard's Tale?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

gedet posted:

There was this game on Windows 1998 where you were a mouse and you had to block in cats with said blocks, and eat cheese. Any idea?

Rodent's Revenge?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Mikaelomo posted:

Another old IBM/old computer game that was loaded on school machines. It involved driving around town doing various tasks before having to get to a gas station to fill up.

One of the Putt-Putt games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putt-Putt_%28series%29 ?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

NoodleBox posted:

I'm trying to find evidence of this old BUILD engine tech demo-ish game that was made by Monolith and came from some type of demo CD-rom thing you got from a computer gaming magazine

As far as I can remember it was released some time around 1995, before they actually made a game, and it took place on some sort of mars space station, and you could walk around exploring the space station and seeing all the neat little things the BUILD engine was capable of

Ken's Labyrinth?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There's also Knights of the Round.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Were you a nerdy guy with rotoscoped animation and your character's animations evolved to become less nerdy as you advanced in the game? If so, I know what you are thinking about but I can't remember the name either.

Lester the Unlikely?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Wilson posted:

Unknown Game 1
This is an isometric multiplayer browser zombie game. You go out into this world and search buildings for supplies. You can make barricades and have to hold the zombies back. I think I remember 50 of us holding this room from hordes of zombies and it was pretty messy.

Unknown Game 2
This is another isometric game (single player). It looks kind of like Diablo 2. You start off as one person and you slowly build up a village. Every day there will be a group of people wanting to join your village, each of them will have different skills. You pick who you want to keep and kick the rest out into the wilderness. You can run out into the world and find dungeons and poo poo, that's how you get loot. There are also orcs and goblins that raid your town.

You can also invite villagers to join you in exploring and combat. Only 3 at a time I believe.

Number 2 sounds like Hinterland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Pseudoscorpion posted:

This may be sillier than most but I'm looking for a web-based game I played a while back with some friends. It was a game-music guessing game based out of a website. A song from a game would play and you had to guess the name of the song and the game or series it was from, and there were options to enable or disable either guess. I think it was developed by a goon as well, but for the life of me I can't remember the name nor the website I found it on.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/saybox/were-you-a-nineties-gamer maybe?