Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember playing an old Pacman game on the PC a while ago, like over a decade ago if I'm remembering right.

At least, I'm fairly certain it was Pacman.

Anyway the graphics were fairly bland: Pacman was a small, yellow circle with no features. It was a side-scrolling platformer title. I think you could jump, but the best method of transportation was a little grappling hook-type device that you could use, akin to the ninja ropes of the Worms games. I really enjoyed it, but could never find what it was later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

mcvey posted:

Warlords Battlecry 2.

Aww nuts you figured it out before I read the thread. That's a fun, though fairly mindless game. Making a hero that could take down armies was awesome.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

chairface posted:

Did it have multiple playable characters who had actually different weapons? One of them being a mad scientist type with a lightning gun?

If it's not that (I can't quite remember the name of that, but I know what you're talking about), it might be Total Carnage, though I don't think it's as swamp-oriented as what chairface is suggesting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

bengraven posted:

This actually kept me up last night.

Time frame: N64 - last gen

I want to say it was only one level. You walk into a room and there are one or two people playing a board game. At one point you actually warp down onto their board which is hills and rivers and castles with giant hexagons on the ground. You actually have different units there as well and I believe you either rally or free game pieces.

It was a platformer.

I want to say this was a level of Psychonauts, but I really doubt it. I want to say it was earlier than Psychonauts.

You may be describing another game, but yeah, this is exactly a level of Psychonauts where you're inside the mind of a man who thinks he is Napoleon.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

bengraven posted:

It was a late 90's, early 2000's arcade game. You played a dinosaur and it was set in a REALISTIC dino world (no card games, no robots, no aliens). This was the last new game my arcade got before closing in the early 2000's.

A search of "dinosaur arcade beat em up -cadillacs -flash -online" has led me to believe that this is Savage Quest.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Meatball posted:

I remember an arcade style, I want to say about 1989. It was a side scroller action game featuring a guy in a suit of armor fighting in what I think I remember as castle-style maps, and you had to jump over obstacles and attack enemies with an axe.
The guy was about mario-size, if that helps.

Out of curiosity, did the guy have a sort of triangle-shaped helmet? I sort of remember a game like this, but don't quite remember the title.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

So I'm looking for a game that looks almost exactly like Dungeon Master in every way, except that the graphics were better. Also, each character had a face next to their hands. I remember the art of these faces being very...what's the word...soft? There weren't any hard lines, it was very soft shading. I don't remember anything else, since I sucked at the game, unfortunately. Oh, the 'hand' icons were also colored in, not the line-art stuff in these screenshots I'm seeing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

Dungeon Hack?

No, though that looks interesting. Not Eye of the Beholder either.

The screen layout was pretty much exactly Dungeon Master's layout, but the graphics were just...better. For example, take the 'hand' icon from Dungeon Master, with the exact same orientation and everything, except filled in, and with some soft shading.

If it makes any difference, the character portraits were actually kind of bland.

Also this may have been a demo, since I don't actually remember creating my characters. Instead they just started in the party already with generic names.

I'm starting to think I've gone crazy and simply imagined all this.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyone remember a game on the Wolfenstein 3D/Blake Stone engine (or similar tech), where you crash landed on a tropical island? You started out in a plane, and would move into the jungle, where a bunch of voodoo-esque zombies would attack you. I believe one of the weapons was a machete.

It probably had a really generic name like Escape From Zombie Island or something.

Sounds like you're thinking of Isle of the Dead, 1993.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Keru posted:

What year was this, can you give a close approximation? There's been quite a lot of games in that vein over the years.

Some examples have already been said, such as Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Hack, but what about Black Crypt?

Nope :(

Year...hard to say because I lived overseas in Korea when I played it, so it could've been anywhere from 1987 to 1995 or something when it actually came out.

Oh wait I kind of remember something...there was a single town that you could visit, it was above the dungeon. The town was presented to you in the same first-person view, so you could walk around, enter stores (though the stores were just a menu), and visit houses before you went up to the big door that led down into the dungeon.

But I'm positive the four party members you had were displayed across the bottom of the screen (though it might've been the top, all these games I'm looking at might be coloring my memories).

You know the only thing I can think of is that this game was shareware or something, which is why it's so drat hard to find.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 12, 2010

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sonance posted:

Ishar 1-3

You can pick up all three Ishar games in a single compilation on gog.com for six bucks. Well worth it if you like DM-style games.

Lands of Lore might be too obvious to mention. There's also the likes of Stonekeep, Knightmare, Bloodwych, Ambermoon/Amberstar, Crystal Dragon and Abandoned Places.

Took a look through all of those. None of them fit the bill, unfortunately :(

Like I said it might've been shareware, since I don't think I had that many full games back when I played it. I'm also starting to think that I made it up in my head, probably mashed together a number of games that I was playing in my youth. But damnit, I remember the gradiented-style graphics of the characters' heads, I swear I do. And I'm positive there was a single town to visit, and a doorway leading into the dungeon in this town. Nooo my sanity.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

yanthrax posted:

Was this any of the Might and Magic games?

Nope. Better graphics than the earlier ones (1 and 2), much, much more plain graphical style than the latter ones.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Orgophlax posted:

EDIT: Found the one I was looking for: Acients 1: Deathwatch?

HOLY CHRIST YES.

Oh my god. Oh my god someone found it. Goddamn that feels good to put that memory to rest. I thought I had completely made it up at this point.

Edit: fuuuck so many memories of this flooding back, especially when you mentioned the sewer area.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm trying to remember an adventure with a very specific puzzle: there's a door, and a keyhole, and the key is in the door but on the other side. You have a newspaper. It's a terribly familiar puzzle, but in this game, when you go through the motions (put the newspaper under the door, poke the key out, pull the newspaper back), the keys fall off, or doesn't hit the newspaper, or something. Then the character says something to the effect of "Huh. Didn't know why I thought that would work..."

Any ideas?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I think that's the one I was thinking of. If so, then that puzzle was in the demo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

Oh man we played so much Cross Country Canada in school. I remember one time the teacher offered a bunch of Canada ti the first person to complete it. I ended up only having to deliver something from like Toronto to Ottawa and back. I was done in like 5 minutes.

I know this is a mistake attributed to absent-mindedness, but drat if it didn't make me laugh for ten minutes straight.

Anyway I remember an old GameBoy game, where you play as a knight that has a fairly pointy helmet. I think you're trying to get into a castle, and it was a side-scrolling platformer with terrible jump physics and poor combat at best. There was also an NES version of the game.

\/\/\/ Yes! That game was so bad. The hit detection with platforms was awful.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 4, 2011

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

An old PC adventure game, I remember playing the demo of it around the time of Riven. I think the demo may actually have come with Riven, but I could be wrong. It was played from a first person perspective, and the demo featured a level in a building which looked like how Da Vinci's workshop looks in media (mahogany tables, full of books, full Italian style architecture). Outside the building I think it was Venice, but you couldn't go far into it, you could just go onto a waterside veranda next to the canals. This took place at night. I think the character you played as may have been from the future, and I vaguely remember him wearing goggles and possibly having Predator style active camouflage.

Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm looking for an online game, a 2d space shooter where you could build your ship out of ships you destroy. I think it had 'Captain' in the title.

Like, you could destroy a ship, then drag the bits to attach them to your ship, and there were guns, armor, and boosters.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Smug Amoeba posted:

A platformer on the original Playstation. You played as a kid who lost his dog and had to look for him on this hosed up alien planet covered in shadow gargoyle things that died if you lured them into sunshine. I remember it scaring the poo poo out of me at the beginning when you lose your gun and have to make like Abe and run from everything until you got fireball powers from a friendly alien.

Heart of Darkness. That game had some twisted death animations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh yeah I remember another title, back from the mid-90s, on PC.

It was a sidescroller adventure title. I seem to remember your character being a native american in the wilderness, with a lot of snow around you. I think at one point you needed to get by a wolf to proceed to the next screen. Not very combat heavy, I don't think, but I only remember watching my friend play it on his computer.

Graphics were quite nice, or at least I thought so at the time. Good detail.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I remember seeing someone playing a roguelike that used Oryx's sprites (you may know them as the sprites used in Realm of a Mad God, for example. They've gone around). I don't know if there are a lot of roguelikes that use these sprites, so from what I remember, it was completely mouse-controlled, and every now and then the player got divine rewards in the form of HP and stats, I think.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

techknight posted:

Desktop Dungeons?

Nah, though that is fun too. It had these sprites:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mehuyael posted:

A bit of googling brought up Legends of Yore. Is this the game?

No, but I am definitely going to give that a shot.

One thing I remember is that the text that typically appears in roguelikes (ie,

You hit for 10 damage
You cast lightning bolt for 5 damage
You've healed 12 hit points

etc)

appeared over the game screen itself. Except for the topmost message, however, it was all very, very faded out so that you could actually see what was happening in the game.

Edit: Also the screen was larger, so I'm pretty sure it's PC only.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Some game I remember hearing about a while ago. It was basically Hogwarts: The Game where you are in a magical academy, have to study for tests, do wizard poo poo, etc. Was for PC, may have been online. Definitely required moneys.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

This might be Academagia, although I could swear there was another game very much like it. It is eluding my efforts to track it down, however.

That is definitely the one I was thinking of, thanks!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

All I remember about Blade of Darkness is how loving hard it was.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

So reading through the LP of King of Dragon Pass has reminded me of a game I played in high school (around 2000, I suppose). I don't remember much of it, but I'm pretty sure it was an RPG, and it definitely had Norse cultural roots, in that there were things like Jarls in it (that's really the only word I can remember). I'm pretty sure it had an isometric view.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm pretty certain it was Valhalla Chronicles, but I'm not certain. My memories are extremely vague.

Kind of makes me want to play Heimdall 2 again though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Wasn't there another obscure Twin Peaks-esque horror game released for the PS2? I can't for the life of me remember the title (maybe a person's name?), but I recall the cover art featuring a barren country road.

(it's not Alan Wake)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan:_Report_from_Hell?

I don't know how Twin-Peaksy it is though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My sister sent me this email:

"What was that old game we played [around 1996-2000]? Ok so it was one of those games kind of like myst where you can't see yourself. There was a city under a glass dome that I never got into. You could use magic and there were no dungeons or really enemies that I remember."

When I asked if it was Death Gate, she responded with:

"It didn't have inventory. And i don't think it was point and click the same way monkey island was"

Seems like the 'glass city' is the only notable thing she remembers.

Edit: I think it may have been partial typing. Like 'throw fireball' sort of game. And it's like just where you don't see you, or an inventory or anything.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Old PC game from perhaps the early 90s. A first person horror game that takes place on a large ship that's, I think, being taken over by bugs, or maybe the AI is just going haywire or something. I think you see your face somewhere on the bottom of the screen, getting more skeletonized as you took damage. Additionally there was a timer as the ship's life support systems failed (which is why I never wanted to play it).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Honestly maybe I'm making up the face thing or conflating it with another game. I know for sure it wasnt System Shock though, I would've been blown away by that game back then. I'm not even certain how much actual shooting was in the game tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Low-magic medieval squad game with a bomber class sounds a lot like Myth to be, though it is neither turn based nor can you deform terrain.