Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I've got 2 games I've been curious about for years.

1. was for the Genesis/SNES, a sci-fi sidescrolling shooter. I remember going through a level (possibly the first) and under some kind of condition, your player character gets equipped with a suit of power armour or something that looks kind of like an astronaut suit. Then you go through the level again, but the colour scheme is different and you're more powerful. It's kind of muddled, I'm afraid...

2. Was an arcade game I played years ago. Sidescrolling action game again, and the player characters look like ripoffs of Ryu/Ken from Street Fighter/ characters from DragonBall. It also had a dominant sci-fi theme with lots of really weird organic aliens as enemies.

I think the first boss was two big green things and you had 3 platforms you had to jump down or up to to avoid getting hit by them. Also I rememer levels which are like horizontal space shooters where your guys are flying through space.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Sakurazuka posted:

Could be ESWAT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESWAT:_City_Under_Siege, first thing that popped into my head.

I dob't think that's it. I just played throught the first couple of levels and it doesn't ring any bells.

I remember one of the early bosses was in some kind of factory/facility and the boss was some kind of mech that was a part of the background.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

I remember playing this game in an arcade in Portugal in the mid-90s. It was a sidescrolling action game, player 1 was a black-haired guy in a red gi and the player 2 character was a blonde-haired guy in a blue gi.

It had a really Gigeresque level and enemy design, with the level I remember being this facility with monster monster bodies embedded in the walls, and the enemies I remember were women in techno-organic armour. The first boss was some kind of turtle-man in a multi-layered arena where you had to get to his front to deal damage.

I also remember there was a horizontal shmup-style level where you were flying through space Dragonball-style and blowing up monsters.

This has haunted me for about 20 years. :stare:

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Was it side-scrolling like a 2D platformer or like a Final Fight-type beat em up?

It was side-scrolling, like a 2D platformer..

Keru posted:

There was a turtle-esque boss in Contra 3, that might be it?

Nah, it was like a humanoid thing. It's definitely not anything like Contra, I remember the sprites being bigger and there's no guns or anything.

ponzicar posted:

Possibly Ninja Combat or Mutation Nation?

Doesn't look like either of these :(: I'm 90% sure there it wasn't a 2.5d brawler setup, it there was only a single plane.

the plot involves some kind of alien invasion, or at least an opening scene with a craft approaching Earth? I remember the attract trailer having this cutscene of the protagonist as a kid having beaten the player 2 character in a lab with some scientist booking it, then flashing forward to the present day.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yo, for some reason I really wanted to try to figure out what game this is, and I finally did. It's called Thunder Hoop 2 or TH Strikes Back.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/th-strikes-back

It apparently doesn't emulate very well but I found a full playthrough video on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSfqhtAM9a0

It has everything you described - the flashback intro in a lab with the scientist escaping, the red and blue main characters, the techno-organic armor women, the turtle man first boss, the weird Gigeresque poo poo, and the shmup levels.

EDIT: It was developed by a Spanish company called Gaelco which would explain why you had it in Portugal

Holy moley, you National Treasured that poo poo! I've been asking in these threads for almost as long as I've been an SA member. No wonder I couldn't find it, what the F kind of name is Thunder Hoop? Thank you so much!

Turns out my memory was even more accurate than I thought - I was a pretty sensitive kid so I'd assumed the thing where all the enemies popped like gore-balloons was a distortion :stare: