Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

This was a SNES game where you started as a fish, and as you played you ate various enemies and plants to earn evolution points, which you could spend to swap your fish parts with better ones. Eventually you reached land and evolved some legs, and so on and so forth until you eventually became a human. It was a weird kind of rpg-beat'emup-platformer hybrid that didn't excel much at being fun, but was addictive because you just wanted to make the coolest little fish guy/frog guy/dinosaur/bird/humanoid. The final boss was like a weird genetic blob that spat out previous bosses to fight you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

dregan posted:

EVO: Search for Eden?

duckfarts posted:

^^ This is 100% EVO, and a little secret for you: you don't have to become human.

Yep, you guys hit it. Thanks!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

HoldYourFire posted:

Clive Barker's Undying

Just want to chime in and say this game is god drat awesome.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Imapanda posted:

No, I don't think so. It wasn't a JRPG, it was more western and 'technical' than that.

Drakengard wasn't a JRPG...

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I asked in a previous incarnation of the thread and nobody was able to turn anything up, so maybe we'll have more luck here.

This is a game I never played, but saw screenshots of in a gaming magazine and was fairly excited about. It was an RTS game set in the stone age. One race controlled dinosaurs while another controlled mammals. Both races were cavemen and their units looked pretty much the same other than the mammal/reptile split as they advanced up their tech trees. There may have been other races as well but I don't know for sure.

What I *do* know is that this game was not Paraworld, which is the only RTS I can find featuring dinosaurs, unless it was, perhaps, an extremely early variation on it.

I'm fairly certain the title of the game in the article was Dawn of War, but if that is correct, it either never came out or somehow made such a little splash that it completely disappeared from the internet by the time the Warhammer 40k RTS of the same name was released.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Jurassic War?

This is older than I remember seeing the article (early 2000s), but it may have been an old issue or just an article about an older game, and this is much closer to what I recall than Paraworld anyhow, so props either way.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Zeether posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of this one game where you built dungeons full of traps and monsters would invade it. The game used some Doom assets and had an announcer, and I only saw it on a Speed Demos Archive stream.

Others have already said it, but I'll eat my hat if this isn't Dungeon Keeper. You get invaded by heroes, not monsters, BUT there are aggressive monsters in some areas that you need to tame or kill.

The game didn't use any DOOM assets, but some of the things had a similar style to it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Wideshanks posted:

What was the name of that game where you played a game design studio? You hired hackers and suits to help the game get made and they leveled up I think.

There was a big thread about it in Games, I just can't find it. It might be in the archives.

Game Dev Story.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Horror game on the dreamcast. It was a pretty huge game, like 3 or 4 disks, set in some snowy mountains after a plane crash. The main character was female, and the game was in third person but you hunted in first person and combat took place in rpg-esque random encounters that were separated from the overworld. The plot involved weird, blob-like aliens of some sort. It played much like an adventure game and had a sort-of-open-world approach where you could trigger certain events in different orders by going to the wrong place and that would effect future cutscenes.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

D2. Pretty cool game too actually.

Wow, that was fast but yeah, this is it. I remember thinking it was pretty cool but I never got past the first disc because I'd get stuck on some puzzle every time I tried.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

This was a handheld game, for a Nintendo system but I'm not sure which, GBA or above but I think the action was in 3D (that is, as opposed to 2D, not stereoscopic), so probably an early DS title. It was an SRPG where you are transferred to another dimension where bugs from our worlds can turn themselves into giant robots, but then need humans to pilot them. It was pretty deep, with lots of customization stuff, and I remember it being extremely difficult toward the end.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

Total long shot here, but I'm looking for an Apple II game they had on the computer labs in lower school, probably mid-late 80s. It was, as best as I can describe it, an ecology simulator where you set parameters of the various animals and let things run and try to make it so that no species go extinct, either by getting eaten by predators or over-reproducing to the point that they starve to death from lack of resources. I'm pretty sure the animals weren't actually real animals--they were either abstracted fake animals or the game took place on an alien planet or something.

I don't know if this helps but I recall a game very similar to what you're describing being on terminals at a local zoo or aquarium or science center or something along those lines. I would have been playing it in the mid 90s, though.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I love this game's FAQ.

quote:

Can't play the game, game is so slow

See the System Requirements page at first. If you are running other softwares and web broswers when you play TRIGLAV, close it. To check your computer's performance easily, launch Windows Task Manager when you are playing TRIGLAV, and look a CPU Using when you move your character. If the performance is already over 80% to 100%, TRIGLAV is so much slow on your computer. To play faster, you need more good computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

liquid courage posted:

It had a camera for each player, and took your picture to go along with your high score.

Worst idea ever.

I mean if people are going to put in their initials as "rear end" and "DIK," imagine what a field day they'd have with that feature.