Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Okay so I barely remember anything about this game but I'll give it a shot.

It was a game I remember playing somewhere between 1995-1998 on PC, probably a Windows 95 game but there's a chance it was a DOS game or even Windows 3.1 too. I don't seem to recall it running in fullscreen though which makes me think it was just something that ran windowed. It was a top-down game that I think would've been closest to an RPG maybe? But I don't recall any random battles and at my young age I wouldn't have known what an RPG was anyway. While I estimate that I played it during those years it's very possible it's an older game than that time frame. My dad was not a gamer of any kind so I have no idea how we obtained this game. Maybe it was a pack-in game with the Dell Windows 95 PC we got around 1995? I don't remember having to load a floppy or CD for it. The thing I recall most strongly from it was the following:

I remember a level, I think it was Level 4, where you enter from the top right of the map and are presented with 4 or maybe 5 long horizontal corridors that you could cross between at points. You had to move to the left side of the map to exit. I don't think it scrolled vertically at all (in that specific level), and I remember this level was basically my stopping point every time I played it. Some enemy or some obstacle would nearly always prevent me from getting through it. I don't remember any method of interaction with the world, no weapons, no shooting, nothing. I just remember moving around, with maybe some block pushing but I'm very unsure.

Other details: While I remember nothing of levels 1-3 I do remember that once you beat them you exited out onto what looks like a world map of sorts, but you cannot really do anything except move into the entrance to the level 4 described above. You had to beat levels 1-3 to even see the world map. I recall the world map looking very gray and my memories give me the impression of either a military or alien base. I think level 4's staircase entered into a pyramid building? The game probably ran at no greater than basic 16-color graphics. I think there were staircases to the level sets as their entrance and exit points, meaning I think you could go back and forth between levels, though I don't know if there was a reason to do so. Movement was probably grid-based.

There were a couple times I managed to beat Level 4's corridors and get to the exit. Memories continue to be hazy, but after exiting the level you actually walk out onto the world map proper. I remember it seemed pretty large to me and I guess the goal was to find the next level. I don't remember where it was or anything, just that the world map was large to explore and still very gray, maybe some blue for water. It had free scrolling in all four directions.

It's definitely not Chip's Challenge though my mind is probably mixing it with whatever this game is in terms of visual memories of it. CC was probably the true first video game I ever played and probably what got me exploring other games as a kid. I wish I had more concrete details of the game but this is basically everything I can remember. If anyone has any leads, I'd be grateful since the question of what this game is has been popping into my head every now and then for a long time now.

edit: Probably worth mentioning I'm from the US, it would've been some game released here and in English.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Pretty sure it wasn't that, definitely too colorful for my memories. Also when I said no vertical scrolling I should've said that was only for the level 4 I described. The world map itself had scrolling in all directions and other levels might have as well.