Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

Could also be Pharaoh's Tomb.

This game also had a sequel, Arctic Adventures. It was the first game I ever played as a kid, and I have good memories of playing it with my dad and unlocking the raft for the first time.

Fun fact! Both games were developed by a young student who wanted to become a game designer. You might have heard of him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

There was a shareware game that came with Alien Olympics that I played as a kid which was a 2D platformer where you were a wizard with spells. I think it was called Magician's Apprentice but all I can find for it under that name are reddit/forum posts of people asking about it and receiving no response. Is that what it was called? Did the full game actually exist? I remember I couldn't get past the second or third world and always wondering what happened in the game after that.

Could be Hocus Pocus, maybe?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Okay, long shot, but here goes.

I remember playing a first person shooter around the mid nineties that had cartoony black and white graphics, like a comic book. I think it was set in some sort of jail, and the emphasis was more on navigating the maze like levels than combat. I also think that most combat wasn't done with weapons, but by punching and melee. 2.5D, can't have been much more advanced than Ken's Labyrinth.

I played it on a Pentium 1 running Windows 95, as part of one of those European CD-ROMs filled with demos. I remember this disk had a cover that depicted a knight riding a motorcycle, an image which I'm pretty sure they stole from the poster of George Romero's Knight Riders.

The worst part is that I love (obscure) 2.5D shooters, but this one has always escaped me. Does anyone here know?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

Bad Toys, maybe?

Holy poo poo, I think you nailed it! At first I wasn't sure because Google gave me Bad Toys 3D, but then I saw the original black and white version and I think this must be it!

I really like the chunky weapon sprites, the have hold up far better than I feared. Thank you so much!

EDIT: I mean, look at this. Yes, this is primitive compared to Doom and Duke (both of which were readily available by 1995, which is just a year before Quake) but the sharp contrast and style is really pleasing. It reminds me of GunGodz and I could totally see this style being used intentionally today.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 18, 2020

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Trying to remember a 90s sci-fi flying shooter game that was on dos or windows.
It was like Terminal Velocity where you are not in space but had a bit better graphics but same terrible draw distance. You could have the camera behind the ship or inside it but there was no cockpit just hud icons. The main feature I remember about it was you could destroy the ground and dig trenches out of the hills by shooting at the ground lots.

I am ninety percent certain this is Starfighter 3000. I played that game as a kid and marveled at the fact that you could change the terrain. This is the PC version, but I think it originated on Amiga and was later released on PSX and Saturn as well.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Yes! that's it thanks.

The sound track is a bit more worrying than I remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vX6PmehsGM

Legit, I wanted to ask in my first post if the words "death by stereo" meant anything to you because that's the first thing that pops into my mind when I think of that game. Well, that and the fact that different platforms had wildly different backstories. In one version, you were fighting in an intergalactic war. In another (the Amiga version, I think) you were performing as a pilot in a reality tv-show. All of them had terrible German techno on the soundtrack.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Pogonodon posted:

The other was an RPG, it ran like absolute dogshit. Same timeframe as the first game. You could pick from six or eight characters to play as, and one was a huge lizard man that lagged my computer to death. Full 3d, I have absolutely no other info because the game ran for maybe eight minutes before it would choke itself to death and crash to desktop.

Total guess, but maybe Gothic? That definitely had a LOT of euro jank.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

al-azad posted:

This has legit been bothering me for ages lol.

Back in the dotcom bubble virtual desktop buddies like BonziBuddy got popular. There was one that was intended for “adults”, a red haired dancing stripper. This character got popular enough to have a few bizarre rear end video games, one in particular a kind of Tomb Raider style action game with cartoon violence and nudity.

I want to say the character was named Valeria or Linda but for obvious reasons it’s impossible to Google “animated desktop stripper.”

Lulu?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Custard Undies posted:

Yeah, I found that after I posted the question. That isn't it.

Interestingly, I did find a game that was based on the movie The Rock, but it was from 2010, and the one I played was def not that one. I do wonder if it was never released, seeing that I can not find any info about it.

If I could remember what magazine it was from, I'd go back and look and see there is pictures of the front cover/cover disc.

Do you remember anything about the engine or general graphics?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Custard Undies posted:

Sadly no, other than I think it was 3D models.

Could possibly have been on the LithTech engine, as that first launched in 1998 with Shogo and Blood 2 which would have been around the time frame I have in my head.

The more I think of it though, the more I really think it was a game that was cancelled/never released outside of the demo.

This is going to sound absolutely insane, but could it have been the intro to the pc port of Metal Gear Solid? That game's first twenty minutes are straight out of the Rock, with the submersible delivery pods and shaking aboard the island.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Curious about a game which I read about here, think about 10 years ago. It was a sci-fi tower defense game where you play an AI that is tasked with protecting humanity in space. The scale was big and very narrative driven. As the story continued, it became quite dark and philosophical, playing with your perception of time and the total horror your plans actually involved.

I never played it but it sounded cool. Would love to try it someday if anyone remembers the title...

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

John Lee posted:

Probably Immortal Defense, but that could also describe a couple games in the Creeper World series.

It's definitely Immortal Defense, thanks! Going to try it out today, curious if it will grab me like I hope.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Custard Undies posted:

Sadly no, other than I think it was 3D models.

Could possibly have been on the LithTech engine, as that first launched in 1998 with Shogo and Blood 2 which would have been around the time frame I have in my head.

The more I think of it though, the more I really think it was a game that was cancelled/never released outside of the demo.

I love the history of obscure fps games, so the idea of finding something I never heard of exited me. Also, the fact that this game hasn't been found is incredibly frustrating. Custard Undies, your Alcatraz mystery has lodged itself in my head...

...which is why I thought of it when I came across this. Obscure budget title that left no cultural footprint, LithTech engine, first person shooter, has the player escaping Alcatraz.

Please, lie if you must, but for the sake of my sanity:
Is this your game?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Custard Undies posted:

Well now I'm just confused, I was thinking the one I said no to was from 2011 or something :xd:

I really don't know haha.

I am going to have to believe it is true, I have to believe!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I remember when, back when magazines came with CD-ROMs, I found this really fun combat game. You could choose to play as a tank or chopper (and maybe a buggy?) and had to blast an enemy base into smithereens. 2D, topdown perspective. It sounds almost exactly like Return Fire, but I distinctly remember the graphics being spritebased. It also included a level editor that I hosed around with, making long lines of exploding barrels and blowing them up.

This must have been around 1998, since I distinctly remember the magazine covering upcoming games like Homeworld, Shadowman and Alien vs Predator. Also included a review for a bad shooter called Hell-Copter, demo's for System Shock 2 and Slave Zero and a kick rear end screensaver of the first Quake.

I think the disk included the entire game, so it must have already been ancient at that time.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Haystack posted:

That's it! Thats the exact game! Thanks! Man, I cannot believe that I beat that game when I was 6. gently caress that last puzzle, it was a total bitch.

Was one of the first games I played, and I NEVER knew you could move the barrels.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

Trying again: Ancient 3D flying thing with big blocky polygons, like starfox or LHX attack helicopter. The player flew a wedge-shaped ship around and shot at other wedge--shaped ships. There were pyramid-looking bases on the map, and if an enemy ship hovered above the pyramid for a bit it would capture it and you would lose if enough of them got captured. Not terminal velocity

Starfighter 3000? Or, if it's from WAY back, Corncob 3D? Fury3? And otherwise, maybe this list can help you out.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

None of these, graphically it was closest to Corncob and it also took place above terrain and not in space itself. I'll pick through the list

Could it be Shock Wave? The first level has you flying at the pyramids.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
First adventure game was Broken Sword. Twenty years later, it's still my favorite.
Also, I remain convinced than Dan Brown played it and stole wholeheartedly when writing Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code. Except that Broken Sword was both more charming and smart with the concept.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think it must be this one. The non-square tiles look very familiar. The screenshots on that page specifically look a bit off from what I remember, but some of the links to games people have made with it (e.g. this one) are really kicking some rusty old gears in my head. It has to be this one. Thanks.

If it's not, could you be thinking of Dink Smallwood?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Could it be one of the Hanse-games?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
In terms of educational math games: mid nineties game, came on cd rom, ran on Windows 95. You played a spaceman who has to solve math puzzles to save the day. There was a part with leaky pipes and green slime, and a part where you shot lasers at asteroids. All of this by solving simple equations.

No idea what it was called, though.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

aniviron posted:

Might be Math Blaster?

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Yeah that definitely sounds like one of the Math Blaster games

This is definitely it! It was Math Blaster Episode 1: In Search of Spot, to be precise.

Man, that was a white whale for a LONG time!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

PC game from the '90s, I guess you'd call it a first person action role-playing game, similar to the first Elder Scrolls game. All I remember is you started out in a big walled medieval city and some of the buildings you could go into had a lizard man walking around in a cell behind bars, and the game box came with a big fold out map of the town.

Not much to go on I know.

Maybe Land of Lore?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Just thought of the first game I ever played on the Game Boy, but I can't remember the title.

It was a F1 racing game, released somewhere before 1998. The very distinct thing I remember about it was that the camera perspective was set in the cockpit, with you seeing your hands on the steering wheel and a good view of the two front tires. It was fake 3D, and kid me found it impossible to handle.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Pulsarcat posted:

Was it Nigel Mansell's World Championship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEjTfAzewkM

Holy poo poo, that's it! Looking at it, I'm not surprised that I spend most of my time in the gravel...

Going to fire this up again, see how it aged. Thanks!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Not Duskers either. I think it really was me being under a wrong impression about Void Bastards.

Maybe StarCrawlers? It's a similiar setting, but you control a party from a first person perspective like Wizardry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Looks familiar, but I don't think that's the one. In the one I'm thinking of you moved quite a lot faster, at least forward & backwards - whatever the vehicle you were in was (I don't remember ever seeing it as the player), it had the turning circle of an 18-wheeler and the acceleration of a bugatti veyron

In my memory the game was much more saturated & colorful but otherwise this is lining up! :cheers:

Shadowmaster?