Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DaveCG posted:

Alright, real long shot here.

It was a RTS from 95-02 maybe,PC, I'm pretty sure the PAL boxart was like a farmers field with pumpkins in it, with the games title in scaffolding, I always thought it was Rise of -something- but I couldn't find anything matching that. I remember that pumpkins were a harvestable resource though and maybe cogs? it's been bugging me forever, any help would be great.

Beasts and bumpkins, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DaveCG posted:

I'm trying to remember anything other than pumpkins and cogs as harvestable thingies, I think that in between missions you'd get a briefing screen with hand drawn ink line art of the main monsters in that level, and if I remember rightly (although I could be mixing two games together here) the storyline was something like a dark taint running through the land and theses monsters were appearing.

Geez... The Horde?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

mcvey posted:

An RTS from probably 5-6 years ago with a hero system in it. Was 3d I believe(not 100% sure). Some of the races were "undead" and then there was "human" and stuff. "Medieval" setting. It wasn't Warcraft(of course). I'm pretty sure it was a sequel.

Wish I could remember more :(

Rage of Mages?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There was a... firefighting game for the SNES. Modern setting, kinda looked like Zelda 3. Starred a dude with a mustache and his sidekick. Went through buildings putting out fires until facing a "boss" fire at the end.

Was actually a really good game, if I recall correctly. But I can't remember the name; all I know is, it's not Ignition Factor.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ugh, yes, thank you. For some reason I thought it had a less generic name than that, and couldn't find it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There was a top-down game on the Amiga. I don't remember much about it, but you might've controlled a green circular object and you basically had to collect stuff. Levels took place on a grid (and were fairly huge, with scrolling), and you could fall off ledges. Gameplay-wise, it was essentially Super Monkey Ball without the tilting.

That's all I've got to go on. It might have been included alongside James Pond in an Amiga bundle, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Found it, "Cloud Kingdoms".

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 17, 2010

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Iron & Blood - Warriors of Ravenloft

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, you're right. I totally forgot that game ever existed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

evilmiera posted:

The first one was a blend of zelda and some secret-of-mana like RPG I believe. You were in a school or possibly church, and found various items lying around (like a wheel and apple cider (which turned out to be vinegar if you tasted it). You saw ghosts at some point, and the demo ended with you being told what awaited you in the full game, properly ending by seeing some big evil demony guy you were supposed to beat. (I know that pretty much describes every RPG out there, but that's about all I remember, aside from a clock tower playing some signifance). Oh, and you were possibly trying to escape at the end. Don't remember why.

One of the Neophyte demos?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neophyte_(series)

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 25, 2010

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

dPB posted:

Edit2: Actually now i have a request. I remember reading in a games magazine about a Gladiator game, set in ancient roman times, but instead of being a gladiator, I think you like managed a team of gladiators? I don't remember much unfortunately, it might have been a console game.

Gladius? That was a Lucasarts game, I believe.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Grifter posted:

One was sort of like an FPS, but in a medieval setting. You could pick up different weapons like swords, or a wand, or a crosswbow. I only played the demo, but I played it a lot. I seem to remember that there was also things you could eat to up your health like fruit or meat. There were potions you could take to have various effects on yourself, like one spot where there was a giant pit but you could reach the bottom of it by taking a lot of potions that made you lighter. I also remember a hallway that a boulder rolled down and you had to work your way up it. I think there were different missions you would select from a selection screen, but I only ever played one because it was a demo. It was not Hexen, it was closer to an RPG (I can't remember if it had leveling) where Hexen seems to be closer to pure FPS. The last thing I remember was that despite being somewhat 3d, the graphics were pretty 2d. If you moved around trees you could see that they were actually flat objects.

Witchaven 1 or 2?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sheriff Man-Thong posted:

There was this game I played at a friend's house back in High school that I can't remember the name of. It was a 3rd person semi-fantasy fighting game with GREAT combat mechanics - lots of cool moves and destructible armor and using enemy weapons. I think it had sort of a South American theme to it or something... this ring a bell to anyone?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I feel like it was long ago enough to be PS1 but in my head the graphics seem PS2. Sorry to be confusing.

If it isn't Rune or DBtS, it's got to be Severance: Blade of Darkness.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MisterFreshman posted:

A side-scrolling game on Sega Genesis. I don't remember much except you could shoot, climb up and down levels, and there was this subway that you could take to Europa or Africa.

Probably Flashback.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Are you sure it isn't "Rockford"? The main dude is a man, but actually does sort of look like Kirby on the title screen, with the pink head.

I remember playing that game, and it definitely had the infection element as well.

Edit: Off-topic, but it has the best boxart.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 20, 2010

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Earthkrash posted:

I have another old game for you guys. It's a pc game with some sort of winter (I think) world map where you could walk and get into levels (like final fantasy, but it's not an rpg) of which one of them was a hut (?). The levels were puzzles-like, If I recall correctly, maybe some sort of platformer too. It was 2-D. I also think the protagonist was human, but I'm not so sure.

Sorry to be vague, I really don't remember except that the game was totally awesome. I used to play it when I was like 5 or so (so I guess it's in the '90.).

e: About that world map, you would go into levels to get keys, to unlock part of the maps and proceed to the next levels.

It's probably one of the Commander Keen games or one of the other Apogee platformers (Crystal Caves, Secret Agent). Though I couldn't tell you which one has a snow level.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

This game came on a demo disc bundled with an XBOX magazine in about 2005ish. From what I remember, it was a 1st-person historical war shooter. The thing I remember most was that it was ridiculously gruesome. You could shoot at corpses and completely tear apart the bodies, removing guts and limbs and everything. It was actually pretty shocking how gory this game was. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Soldier of Fortune 2?

Lord Master posted:

Worth a shot...

It was an isometric RPG similar style to Baldur's Gate and Arcanum, except it took part in a desert civilization setting.

I played the game at a friend's house, and I believe the game starts you off in some desert city and has something to do with a time machine.
For some reason I keep thinking "Dune" although I've searched and there is Dune the RTS series and Dune the mediocre 3D whatever-it-was.

I believe the game was bundled in one of those dual-jewel cases with some other game maybe.

Anyone have any clue?

What era was the graphical style? The Dark Sun games take place in the desert, but it doesn't sound like either of those.

Septerra Core starts in the desert, I think?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Master posted:

The graphics are very Baldur's Gate 2 at high resolution (they're pretty sharp)
This game was definitely made after 1998, possible close to 2000 or so? Definitely not DOS.

And Septerra Core is one of my favorite games of all times (I'm actually playing it right now, which is why I remember this particular game)

--

I don't think the game is medieval at all. The city you start in had a very Tatooin feel feel to it.

poo poo, the only game I can think of from that era that has a vague sort of time travel element is NOX, since the dude you play is from modern times.

And just to get them out of the way, it's not Lionheart or Revenant, right?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Good Professor posted:

Help! My girlfriend is looking for a game she played back on the SNES -- something like Castlevania (side-scrolling platformer with a similar art style) and lots of outdoor levels. She thinks you played as "a blond dude with lots of muscles and either a whip or a gun".

Also we're pretty sure it's not Blackthorne. Is there a list of SNES Castlevania clones somewhere?

This could be any number of games, so even a little bit more info would make it easier.

I'll list a few, though: Hakane, X-Kaliber 2097, Run Saber, Gods.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game, where you ran a pizza joint, and could do various pizza related tasks, such as delivering pizza on a moped (in like an overhead frogger kind of view) as well as make pizzas (kind of building engines in Street Rod) and for some reason there were towers of hanoi puzzles, and you'd have to delivery to various customers, and when you arrived at their door you went through a short text based sequence, and it would be like "old jewish mom" or like drunk frat aliens??? it was pretty crazy. Anyhow any help on this would be much appreciated

Pizza Tycoon, or one of its sequels?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MegaCharger posted:

I vaguely remember this Japanese action RPG/RTS mix for the super nintendo that I played back in the 90s. It's very unique in that the battles take place on a top down grid and you move your character around, you just move next to an enemy and your character auto attacks. You can only control one character at a time but your army can contain dozens of guys, you can switch control between characters while the computer assume control of everybody else.

The cool thing is you can have a whole bunch of armies running around the world map, which I think is mode 7, it resembles the world map of sword of mana 3. There are two cool things I remember about that game, one is a secret character in the form of a mage. You do a bunch of stuff to turn an archer into the mage, the mage can only be himself, he cannot join other armies. But in exchange he gets a one shot attack every battle where he kills EVERYTHING on the entire map.

The other cool thing is this huge battle right before you storm the final boss' castle. It's this huge battlefield with no trees or any other obstacle, it's just your army against a huge enemy army. As you fight on reinforcements come in from both sides, eventually it's all of your armies on the screen at once against probably hundreds of enemy soldiers, a huge clusterfuck in the middle of this empty map. It was the most epic thing ever for my 8 year old self.

Ogre Battle?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darm posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a 2D side-scroller that was most likely for the SNES. Her memory is rather hazy but it featured a life bar made of 5 or so hearts, a first level going up or down a steep hill, a frost level in the sky, and a castle at the end that you were trying to get to the whole game story-wise. The hero resembled Megaman to a degree and it was a short game. I personally checked a list of SNES platformers on GameFAQs but I could not identify it sadly, so there's the slight possibility that it was for another system from the same console generation (the graphics were distinctly 16-bit).

Sounds like Sky Blazer

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GammaShade posted:

I hate just jumping into this thing without being able to help anybody else out, but there's a game that's been driving me completely crazy for years. It was a super old-school (early- to mid-90s at the latest) PC adventure game, first-person, in trilogy form. It had a definite horror slant to it. The opening screen of the first game was an alleyway in the middle of a city, with the player looking out into the street. I think at some point you descended into some sort of twisted nightmare world -- I remember a white river with weird, disturbing plants growing on its banks, and I think somebody had drowned in it. (That might have been part of the second game.) In the third game, you had to go into a cave and solve a bunch of standard adventure game stuff to light up the eye sockets of an enormous skull. The skull might have been blue.

There's really nothing to go on here, but it's easily been 15 years since I've even touched this game and I can't remember anything else. I'm not entirely convinced I didn't make it all up. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, it would be amazingly appreciated.

It's not a trilogy, but Waxworks?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Try checking out the rest of the Horrorsoft games, then. They were the dudes who made Waxworks, and it seems they made a few games before that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BIGTIME posted:

It was on the playstation 1, all i remember are the wacky characters and cutscenes, i dont remember the gameplay at all. One cutscene involved a character making spaghetti, but the meat being used was human brains, and then it panned back and there were bodies hanging on meat hooks. There was something about a baby in a bunny suit but he was an overgrown manbaby or something ??? Wish someone could help me out here... its been driving me wild!!!

Loaded or Re-Loaded.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fun fact: I own two different versions of Toshinden on the PC. One is bundled with Fatal Fury 3.

It's a pretty lovely game, but at least it has an awesome cheesy-rear end 90s jazz/rock/synth soundtrack.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 29, 2010

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's either that or Crush, which was a similar game. The MC Escher reference probably cements it as Echochrome, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone remember a game on the Wolfenstein 3D/Blake Stone engine (or similar tech), where you crash landed on a tropical island? You started out in a plane, and would move into the jungle, where a bunch of voodoo-esque zombies would attack you. I believe one of the weapons was a machete.

It probably had a really generic name like Escape From Zombie Island or something.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Sounds like you're thinking of Isle of the Dead, 1993.

Got it, thanks.

Edit: Oh, man, I can't believe I forgot about the animation sequences. The game itself looks lovely, but those are pretty great - especially the one where you exit the game. That poo poo would never fly today.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 3, 2010

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

I had a PC game that was similar to another world/flashback where you shot DINOSAURS

That's all I remember :(

Bermuda Syndrome. That was a kickass game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bluegoon posted:

Used to be a coin-op game I that really sticks to my mind, all I can remember is a little ninja, shooting a Scorpion like hook, and big giant red enemy ninja heads in a dungeon, anyone care to give it a shot?

Rad Action/Kid Ninja?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MoaYv2IoPA&feature=related

No grappling hook, but something that looks like giant red ninja heads about 4:10 in. No dungeon, either, but as I recall, the game had insane, random warp points and a ton of levels.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mercedes posted:

Oh boy. Here goes. Its a point and click adventure game I played, or rather watched other kids play in my math class back in the early 90s. The one scene that stands out is you're in the swamp on front of a small house or hut. Off to the side of the entrance in the murky water are a pair of eyes. If you investigate the eyes a big frog rises from the water and eats you whole.

That's all I remember.

Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate

Edit: Wait, actually, it's Kyrandia 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8JgHGaiKDM#t=3m40s

As you can see, they make fun of that scene in the second game.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 22, 2010

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Either that or Constructor, which showed up on GoG not too long ago.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alright, I got one. Probably the only one that has really bothered me through the years.

It was an arcade platformer. Possibly a Japan-only release. Graphically am I reminded of early 90s arcade games like Spinmaster or Hammerin' Harry. Very colourful, with big sprites and Japanese aesthetics, i.e. characters with exaggerated expressions.

Now, your character was a chef or something. I say chef because I remember you starting next to a comically sized Chinese/Japanese diner. I seem to recall you wearing red, but the stand out characteristic of this dude was his arms; they were situated high on his shoulders, making him neckless. Also, they were stretched out to either side, which struck me as a really odd design at the time. So, he wore red, had a large head with a small body, arms spread out full like a cross.

I don't remember much of the gameplay itself, but during the first stage you came across a gigantic dojo that you had to enter from the top. You then went through different levels to eventually exit from the bottom right.

Any guesses?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I definitely think it's Nocturne. The scene you're describing is right out of the beginning of that game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Automatic Jack posted:

Maybe this only exists in my head but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned... somewhere. It has to do with the voice actor of Deadly Premonition's Agent York, Jeff Kramer, who was also the voice of Seaman. I heard somewhere that he did voice work for another game- Japanese, I believe- and I think the entire game was escaping from an earthquake. More than that I cannot recall.

I guess any game revolving around getting out of an earthquake is probably the one I'm thinking of, but I'm not that familiar with Japanese titles. If it was indeed Japanese. Oh boy.

Well, there're the Disaster Report games as well as Disaster: Day of Crisis. Aren't that many other earthquake games out there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Martian posted:

The second one is a bit newer, windows 95 era (I think). You started out with a bunch of villagers, and you could build huts and other buildings. When you had enough huts, the villagers would go inside them two by two and make babies. You could train soldier, find potions and fight monsters with them. It was mission-based. It was all pretty cartoony.

Beasts and Bumpkins?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kevin Bacon posted:

Adventure game. I think it's from the 90s. I believe you play a red-haired dude, but from a first-person perspective. In the demo, you start out in a little apartment, everything is dirty and worn. Some guy is also shouting at you, telling you to turn off the TV. I also think I can remember that to get into your inventory, you click a little paper doll that looks like yourself, but I'm not entirely sure.

EDIT: It's on the PC. Might have been 3D or "2.5D".

Normality.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Incredible Ed posted:

Could this possibly be Ninja Warriors AGAIN?!

Or maybe Hagane?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Verve posted:

I can't remember if this is a SNES or a Genesis game.

It's basically an old-school JRPG. The battle system is quite similar to Final Fantasy however instead of the main character fighting, he actually has his robot out to fight for him.

It might be from Squaresoft but I failed to find such game on their wikipedia page.

Robotrek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

One of the Journeyman Project games?