Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Back in the very early nineties, a friend of mine had a shareware? RPG? on his Mac. You were breaking out of a hospital or mental Institution; I think you were supposed to be a psycho killer. You had options to Punch or Kick in combat. One of the first weapons you could find was a syringe that would instant-kill one enemy. One of the first enemies was a cop you could kill for his pistol.

we never got very far, but I would really like to know what that game was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

I Love My Axe posted:

Was it in black and white? Sounds like Psychotic! The Escape.

Yeah, that looks like it's the one. Thanks!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

This one's a long shot - early PC game, same sort of era as Sopwith. You were in a plane and the screen was split - top half was an overhead view, bottom half was a side on view of your plane. I've got a hazy memory that it involved shooting at biker gangs. I've got it in my head that the name starts with an F, but I can't be sure at all.

Hey, something I know. That's Flightmare.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's not much to go on, but I'm trying to find a side-scrolling fantasy game for the Amiga where the hero character throws/shoots swords, (or other weapons he picks up; dagger, long sword, broad sword). Probably from '91 or older. Could have been for the C64, but I think it was for Amiga.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ChrisXP posted:

Ghosts n Goblins or Ghouls n Ghosts, surely

I don't think so. I think it had more of a sword & sorcery / brawny barbarian aesthetic. (It's not Barbarian I or II.) But it very likely could be a lesser known rip-off of Ghouls n Ghosts. This is all very vague, but I think the first level was some kind of castle yard; you equipped weapon was prominently displayed in the bottom center of the screen. I would guess it was Western, not Japanese.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I had a look at all the games mentioned, but it's not any of them. I don't think the player character was bare-chested, so my brawny barbarian comment probably was misleading. It's also possible it was on another system, possibly a mega drive, but I still think Amiga is most likely. However, none of the youtube videos I looked at seemed familiar.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Not Leander. I only saw the game once or twice at a friend's house; the only really clear impression that has stayed with me was the design of the 'broadsword' weapon (or upgrade) you found. (I'm not sure if it was called broadsword in game). It, like the earlier weapons, was displayed horizontally. It think you saw your weapon displayed prominently in the bottom center of the screen throughout the game, but it's also possible it was only displayed on pickup. At the hilt, it was as narrow as the earlier sword you had, but then it flared out in a inverted quarter-circle on each side, then the edges ran parallel again.

For illustration, sort of like the fourth sword in this picture:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Two Owls posted:

Rastan, Rastan Saga, or Cadash? Myth: History in the Making? Deathbringer? Hagar the Horrible?

All negative, but thanks for the suggestions.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
No hopes for this one, but in the early nineties I briefly played some shareware rpg, probably inspired by Wizardry or Bard's Tale.

The only thing I remember clearly were some of the encounters: "You are attacked by 6 hobbits." "You are attacked by 9 gollums."

That plural of Gollum really stuck with me.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
That cutscene was already in Warlords 1, too.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Just guessing as I never played it, maybe Bene Tleilax in Emperor: Battle for Dune?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, unfortunately that isn't it either. I remember very clearly that it was a top down one instead of isometric, but thanks for trying!

Alien Swarm has the correct perspective and theme, but you'd probably remember that it's very much a coop multi-player game. It started out as a UT2k4 mod, but was remade as a free standalone game on Steam.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I probably asked this before, but never had any luck finding an answer:

This was a shareware RPG I got on a 5.25'' disk from a computer magazine, somewhere between '89 and '91. The graphics were primitive, maybe even ASCII similar to nethack, but I believe you had a party. The only thing I remember about it clearly is that among the enemy types you could encounter were hobbits and 'gollums'. You would get a message like "You encounter 9 gollums", which would annoy me to no end, as I knew there was only ever one Gollum. I think it's more likely this was after I had first read Lord of the Rings, which would put in in 1991.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I may have gotten this completely mixed up somehow, but a few years ago an acquaintance had a playlist of old 8- and 16bit video game tracks, and one of then uncannily reminded me of a piece of music from A Chinese Ghost Story 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRLLdwyR8zA

Any chance this reminds someone of a game from the early 90s?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Looking for a turn-based front-level WW2 strategy game with a specific focus on managing to survive and/or accomplish objectives despite Stalin's/Hitler's paranoia and constantly changing plans.

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I might as well as for another mid-nineties arcade game: an early 3D fighting game with manga-looking characters. The gimmick was that the fighters flew/floated inside a cube-shaped 3D arena. One had some kind of black hole/gravity attack.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That sounds like Psychic Force

Yeah, that's it, thanks!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's also the UFO: Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight series. Your description doesn't sound like the first or third game, but I've never played the second, and I think it had different races.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

someone awful. posted:

sort of asking for my dad; between us both we can't remember what the heck this game was called. he played it a ton in the 90s, it was a turn-based strategy map game kind of thing, with online multiplayer -- i'm pretty sure it was play-by-email and games would go for multiple days. it was historical i think (like, as opposed to fantasy/scifi i mean -- i remember there were tanks) i'm pretty sure it was a free game he downloaded, and not something he bought. iirc the graphics were a little primitive, or at least 2d/flat.

Warlords 2 Deluxe had a whole lot of different maps, some of which had modern units (that looked primitive.)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm going to try this one again:

A side-scrolling fantasy game where you play a ranger-like guy, not Franzetta aesthetics.
You shoot/throw daggers or swords horizontally and can upgrade to different types. Unlimited ammo, I think.
Warm brown/orange colors.
Amiga or Genesis/Mega Drive.
1991 or earlier.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

mr_mojo posted:

Brown/orange and throwing knives immediately made me think of Gods

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DaKY87e6j04

That was an early guess the last time I asked too, but it's not it. The player character was less burly, more like a leather-armored ranger type. He was shooting swords in a straight line as his default attack.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Either I got the wrong impression of what kind of game Void Bastards was from only skimming over the reviews, or there was a game with a very similar setting a few years back that's a party based RPG.

Does anyone know what I could be thinking of? It's not Deep Sky Derelicts, I played that.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Duskers, maybe

Not Duskers either. I think it really was me being under a wrong impression about Void Bastards.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Maybe StarCrawlers? It's a similiar setting, but you control a party from a first person perspective like Wizardry.

Yeah, that's it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Private Speech posted:

In particular it had this DOS/Win95/98 strategy game that was a bit like Empire 2 but not quite. It might have been Empire 2 but I think it was a clone; it had slightly prettier/chunkier unit icons, but otherwise it was a similar grid-based strategy game with counters. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Is Empire Deluxe too obvious?

Warlords 2 Deluxe was also inspired by Empire.