Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
The PC game I'm looking for was most likely a freeware or shareware game from quite a few years ago - I might have played it sometime between 1998-2000.

It was a top down shooter set in maze-like offices utilizing this kind of perspective. The graphics had a similar level of detail (or lack thereof) with a somewhat cartoony feel, probably in 8 bit and SVGA.
You play as a (selection of) rambo style dude(s?) with a wide range of weapons, including a chainsaw. The really fun part was playing splitscreen (for 2, left/right) on one computer.

westborn fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Major Ryan posted:

Take a guess at this being CyberDogs?

It is! Thank you!
I even searched for 'Underdogs' and 'Dogs of War', but wasn't too sure about 'dogs' being in the title.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Brace posted:

I played this one maybe 5 or 6 years ago, it was an RTS, but it was completely underwater... that's about the only way I can describe it, if anyone can help I'd be most thankful
Submarine Titans?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

XenoXiaoyu posted:

There was a game my friend had for the PS2 a while back and I can't for the life of me remember what the name of the game was.
Maybe Drakan: The Ancients' Gates

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Arrath posted:

The game was a medieval city/village building sim.
It's from 2001, but maybe Stronghold?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Satanos posted:

So there's a PC game I've spent over a decade trying to remember...

I've never actually played it and it's probably not it, but the first thing that comes to mind with 90s + dungeons + woman + polygonal 3D is "Deathtrap Dungeon".

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

The second was a game that came pre-packaged with a computer. It was a 3D game where you controlled a turret. Aliens were attacking and you had to blow them up before they destroyed critical objectives. There were separate missions, and those missions might have put you in new locations with new turret abilities (e.g., missiles, quad-mount gun, etc). About halfway through the game you protected a NASA launchpad that was sending space shuttles into space to fight the aliens. This game probably came out around the Half Life/Rainbow 6 era.

That's probably Incoming, it often came bundled with early 3D accelerator cards.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an early 90s/late 80s first person shooter, possibly built on the Wolfenstein engine or something closely resembling it.

Ken's Labyrinth?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

I don't know anything about Quake Live, but the map you're looking for is probably Q3DM7 "Temple Of Retribution".

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
You can also play it in your browser on archive.org, but I don't remember any other characters than Donald and his nephews in it.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

death pip posted:

Late 90s/early 2000s 3d RTS on the PC

Just throwing out some more or less fitting games:
Warrior Kings, Battle Realms or Myth 2?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

Not much of a description since I can't remember much else about the game, but I'm pretty sure there's only one game that's done that so :v:

You can't even remember if it's 2D or 3D? Top Down, Sidescrolling, First-Person or maybe just management or adventure style fixed backgrounds? Controlling the ship, the crew or just one crewmember?
With that description it could be FTL just as much as it could be Outer Wilds.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

PSWII60 posted:

This was a mid 1990's vertical SHMUP that was set in space, colorful, and the 1st boss (or at least an early boss) turned into a snake or was snake like.

Could simply be the classic R-Type.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
90's, PC, acronym & Viper make me think of N.I.C.E 2, without the acronym of Test Drive 4, but I don't think either had too much outskirts you could have explored.

Of course there was also Viper Racing, but that only has Vipers (and great dynamic deformation for its time).

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Frog Act posted:

So I'm remember a mechanic from a game that might be really obvious - I think it was a Bethesda game, maybe even Skyrim, but like, it was an RPG/third person action game that sometimes required you to 3d view items you picked up for clues. Like you'd spin them around and a symbol on them would start glowing and the game would broadly indicate that you were getting "warm", until you flipped the 3d item the "right" way and got the relevant clue. The controller would vibrate, too, I think .Was it an AC game? Alpha Protocol? I'm going nuts

L.A. Noire had something similar, too.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Second is an FPS, I can't remember a ton about it other than that there were tons and tons of secret doors and hidden locations, and the weapons were all more futuristic/sci-fi than realistic. I think it would have come out sometime between Rise of the Triad and Unreal 1, so maybe '95-'98? Also it's possible you either played as or could play as a giant alligator/lizardperson but that might be a fever dream.

I'm going with Eradicator from 1996 for that one.

MockingQuantum posted:

I think this was something else that had simultaneously better and worse graphics (more "advanced", but shittier-looking)

Never played it, but that made me think it could be Stonekeep - which appears to also have different armor slots.

westborn fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 10, 2019

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Swarm (1998)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3jdU8cAIb4

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

iSurrender posted:

No, atleast in the first level you were flying low over ground on a planet, not in space.

Just in case "original Dark Orbit" is referring to the original version of the browser game instead, there was a 2001 Dark Orbit that is a good fit for your description apart from using sprites.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Don't read this Sobatchja Morda, but Custard, blink twice if you actually still need help looking for the game, because I'm going to assume you actually are lying for their sanity's sake, because that was the first suggestion you got and dismissed... :pseudo:

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

RVT posted:

You could play as either the Union or the Confederates, and it was a risk type system, you built up your armies then moved them into an enemy, maybe on a node type map and the battle results were generated based on your army size and the one you attacked.

Just getting the obvious North & South out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

It's not exactly what I remember, but these memories are nearly 40 years old now.

Might be Star Raiders II / The Last Starfighter (how I knew and played it) instead.