Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Looking for a computer game I played somewhere between 1990 and 1996, could have been a bit older than that.
The game screen was mostly trees and you controlled a helicopter putting out forest fires. I think sometimes you would rescue people too? There was an enemy copter that would cause more fires and maybe abduct people.
It may have been a minigame, I really can't say. Pretty sure it was a computer of some sort, the console stayed downstairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Looks like no, unfortunately, my mother says it wasn't 3d.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I think it was a 90s era DOS game. You had creatures you bred in your lab for some reason. There were little animations for them wandering around, eating, fighting. I remember the fighting bit scaring me, since the loser would get its head knocked off. They looked like they were made of clay and had colorful scales. I think they came in four or five colors. One was shaped a bit like an H.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Pogonodon posted:

I think it was a 90s era DOS game. You had creatures you bred in your lab for some reason. There were little animations for them wandering around, eating, fighting. I remember the fighting bit scaring me, since the loser would get its head knocked off. They looked like they were made of clay and had colorful scales. I think they came in four or five colors. One was shaped a bit like an H.

Found this one, it was Unnatural Selection.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Holy poo poo this is it! I remembered it being on DOS, but perhaps there was a DOS version released later? This is definitely the game, though!

There was a dos version, but it seems to have vanished entirely. I've been looking for a copy for years.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I hope this is the right thread for internet game crap.:ohdear:
First is some dragon raising browser game. I can't really remember the timeframe, but it may have been in the late 90s. You could hatch and raise a dragon and fight other people's dragons in a sidescrolling area type thing. There really wasn't much to it. At some point it added premium accounts, so you could have an ice dragon instead of the basic fire everyone had. I heard it shut down soon after and I haven't been able to find anything about it again.
The second was a space trader/smuggling game from 1997-1999. Might have been a shockwave game. You'd start with a rinky dink little ship, hire a crew and do missions or transport or steal legal and illegal cargo while avoiding IRS ships. It eventually went pay to play and I lost track of it. Just a name would be fine, but if there's a playable version anywhere I'd love to see it.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 16, 2013

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Kolodny posted:

e: maybe barking up the wrong tree, but I think the name started with "Nae-", or had "ae" somewhere in there

As far as I can remember, Naev doesn't have much other than skirmishes, so probably wrong. At least the name clue didn't come from the ether.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

It was a super old computer game, I think it was DOS era, maybe Win95, but I'm also pretty sure it was on a Mac, so this was a pre-OSX game.
You were a fish, and you had to like swim around and eat algae and fight other fish and survive.

Eventually you'd like die or eat enough to reproduce or something and you'd go to the next level, but you could add mutations to your offspring. I remember there was an electric eel ability that seemed pretty cool, or like you could go faster or something? It was ages ago. I just remember being a fish in some mac game, and upgrading to have electricity powers.

In retrospect it seems a whole lot like the first part of Spore. It was 2D though, and the whole game was just fish underwater.
Makes me wanna play Oregon Trail and Kidpix.

Could it be Odell Down Under?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTB4jjAZxNQ

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

djw175 posted:

I'm trying to remember a game I played. I think it was a flash game of some sort? You started in a nice looking room with a seemingly friendly AI, but it turns out you're actually in a pod hurtling towards the sun and the AI was trying to make your last moments nice. I think it might have been an adventure game? Don't quote me on that, though.

A small talk at the back of beyond ?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

chairface posted:

I've brought this up unsuccessfully before, but I remember playing an Elite-type space trucker game on the Commodore 64 where the biggest thing I can remember about it is that either the ship graphics were corrupted (the C64 scene was HUGE on piracy so I might've had a glitched pirate copy or something?) or they were all supposed to be weird rectangles full of seemingly random grey/black pixel block patterns. You could fly planet-to-planet and sell things for more/less than you bought em elsewhere in normal space trucker gameplay, and sometimes pirates or w/e would attack you, combat was turn based when this would happen and various gun/shield upgrades were things you could buy for your space trucker ships. I remember "Guns" or "Weapons" being a specific cargo you could haul around and sell on various planets. 7 year old me thought this was gritty as gently caress.

EDIT: I think some cargoes, maybe including "guns/weapons" were illegal and cops would attack you too over hauling those? Not as sure about that as other memories of the game though so I could be making that up.

It's been years, but it sounds a bit like Moonfall or Space Rogue to me. Moonfall had cubeish ships with pixel block grey parts and trading, though I don't remember any weaponry specifically being traded, you could upgrade your ship. Space Rogue had tradable Contraband, ship upgrades and attacks by groups you had angered.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

explosivo posted:

I fell into a 90's nostalgia hole today thinking about those old chat-room games like The Palace I used to frequent back in the day and was trying to remember the name of this one chatroom game that was similar, but you had full body avatars that walked around that you could could change the appearance of and had homes and items I think. Had to have been between '94-'96 probably. I vividly remember this drat elf head that everybody used. Anyone remember the name of this game?

It was released in 1997, but the homes bit makes me think of CyberTown. It was called ColonyCity back then.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Sounds like Odell Down Under. It had a "Create-a-Fish" mode, was released in 95 and has you level up from some tiny fish to a shark by consuming everything edible.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Reminds me of the Packard Bell logo.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Trying to find two games. Both are PC.
RTS I played in the early 2010s, maybe around 2012? It was fairly old at the time, I think earliest possible release date would have been 2000. The gameplay wasn't great, the only part I really remember is that you had a swarm of little drones that would go out and build stuff for you, or you could use them to gently caress with the terrain. I spent ages on the maps I played just telling them to harvest all the dirt around the enemy camp so they were left with no place to build, or building an impassably tall wall encircling their camp.
It was full 3d, I don't remember much other than brown. Lots and lots of brown. Pretty sure the name was a single word.

The other was an RPG, it ran like absolute dogshit. Same timeframe as the first game. You could pick from six or eight characters to play as, and one was a huge lizard man that lagged my computer to death. Full 3d, I have absolutely no other info because the game ran for maybe eight minutes before it would choke itself to death and crash to desktop.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

al-azad posted:

What kind of rpg? First person, turn based, solo or party?

Third person, I genuinely don't know beyond that because it wouldn't run for any real length of time.

ToxicFrog posted:

Perimeter.

YES! I can finally buy another copy, thank you.

Unfortunately, no, definitely not this. I'm pretty sure the crappy game didn't have pixel graphics but I'm not 100% positive. It's a very faint memory and I felt like throwing it out there.

edit: It definitely wasn't an MMO

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 3, 2020

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
It doesn't seem to be Gothic, though that is tickling my brain a bit, so it may have been similar? Sorry I don't have any more clues.
I've been going through storage boxes of old stuff for a while but haven't ever found anything, it may just have to remain a vague memory :(

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I finally found my copy! Mage Knight: Apocalypse. It's not great but it does run now.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

al-azad posted:

Late 90s, early 2000s game made by an indie team (maybe one guy) using Klikteam or Gamemaker or one of those smaller engines of the time. I downloaded it from Home of the Underdogs around the turn of the century.

It was a 2D sidescrolling RPG with pixel art graphics. The human characters were distinctly big and detailed. You maneuvered on a flat two dimensional plane, no up/down movement. Battles would be sort of Paper Mario turn based style.

Stylistically it was sort of Steampunk. Lots of long dusters and chunky shotguns. I think the plot involved a land baroness. The title may have had "engine" in the name. There was a sequel released around the height of Tigsource like ~2010 around the time of Spelunky and La-Mulana.

The Spirit Engine?

edit: :argh: how dare you beat me

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Here's a rough one. Someone I know is looking for a game and all they have is the memory of the box art!

PC game, seen in a store in the early 2000s, box is white with a traditional 00s sexy lady on the cover with a white anthro rabbit dressed like a guerilla fighter, who has a machine gun and has his mouth sewn shut. It was one of those boxes with a flap cover.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
We have a winner! Showed them the cover art and they went THAT'S IT. Some bits mixed up but lol 20 year old memories. Thank you!

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Pogonodon posted:

Looking for a computer game I played somewhere between 1990 and 1996, could have been a bit older than that.
The game screen was mostly trees and you controlled a helicopter putting out forest fires. I think sometimes you would rescue people too? There was an enemy copter that would cause more fires and maybe abduct people.
It may have been a minigame, I really can't say. Pretty sure it was a computer of some sort, the console stayed downstairs.

Eleven loving years later I randomly stumbled across this game. It was the Rainforest Rescue section in Grammar Games. Rescuing animals rather than people, and there appears to have just been a bulldozer smashing parts of the rainforest rather than an enemy copter, but that's definitely it.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
That first one is reminding me of Lovely Planet.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Might it be Proteus? That looks pretty ms paint to me and the music is interesting, but I can't tell how much it matches what you remember.

edit: oh wow very wrong timeframe, nevermind, that came out in 2013.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 3, 2023

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Gnoman posted:

Many years ago, when a 500 mhz computer was considered fast, I used to play a deer hunting game that I cannot recall the name of (it wasn't Deer Hunter). I'd kind of like to track it down so I can see just how dated it looks and plays.

What I remember about it:

The weapons were rifles and shotguns. A large bore revolver was in the game but you had to do something special to access it.

The game did not track ammunition.

If you fired your weapon for no reason, the game would taunt you with phrases like "you're scaring the deer" and "you're wasting time and ammunition".

The game predated WASD. You moved with the arrow keys, and had to hit Spacebar to bring out your gun (at which point you could mouse-aim).

Let's see if we can start narrowing it down.
Do any parts of Ted Nugent Wild Hunting Adventure or Field & Stream: Trophy Buck come close?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I'm almost positive that's one of the Deer Hunter games. Possibly even the first one.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Bird Hunter: Upland Edition? Looks like there were several but that's the only one i remember offhand in that time period that has a dog.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Then maybe the Wild Wings edition?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

The same company released a very similar game that I also don't remember the title of that was about hunting pigeons in a public park.

Just found this one I hope, is it Sportsman's Paradise? Jump to about 3 minutes for the park.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Arcanuse posted:

Alright, so here's a few games that have been bugging me on and off for a long time now.

The mention of a cymbal headed alien makes me think of My First Amazing History Explorer but I can't recall anything else about the game.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
The claustrophobic ship is making me think of Scavenger SV4.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Vadun posted:

Browser based game, around the windows 98 or XP era. Very generic name like "dragon something".

Dragon Court? Looks like it stopped running some years ago. You may be able to get a similar feel from Legend of the Green Dragon.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
How boxy was it? the sega saturn was pretty drat boxy, but if it was a straight up cube then that's not it. Any idea what the graphics were like? Pixels or early 3d?

edit: were the multipack bootleg systems A Thing then? my memory is pretty spotty through that era.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I know absolutely gently caress all about mac games, and this isn't pinging as a pc game for me, so let's see if you guys can find what my friend is looking for:

quote:

I saw someone playing it on one of those macs with the clear plastic so I didn't see much
this was when I was in primary school, so the latter half of the 90s, but I feel it was like, 1996 or 1997ish most likely
3D platformer, from behind 3rd person. featuring an Alien with a gun for an arm
they collected big floating fruits to restore health (I think. may have been points as I don't remember any enemies)
the environments I saw had a light blue and grey ish theme to them

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
MDK got a response of "too grimdark". Oni got a no, color scheme way too dark.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I was hoping it was Otto Matic but they said no. Nothing else is pinging a memory either, starting to suspect the memories getting mushed together or warped by time.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Maybe Ninja-kun? It was released in the UK as Ninja.
There was also Ninja JaJaMaru-kun, released as Ninja II in the UK.

edit: Maybe the sequel to Ninja-kun, Ninja-kun: Ashura no Shou, released in the US as Rad Action.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 2, 2023

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I'm betting it's Crayola 3D Castle Creator.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
On the extremely far chance you have the date wrong, Headlander? It's 2016 but wanted to throw it out there.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

manero posted:

I have the image of a C64 game in my head. It was a horror themed game, and the only thing specific I can remember was there was someone (or a creature) with like a scarecrow face, or like a burlap sack over their face.

Clive Barker's Nightbreed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
What was the art style like? Pixel, 3d? Realistic or cartoony? I have a few ideas but I want to try narrowing the search before I just start loading up every edutainment game in my collection.

edit: Shot in the dark, but Super Planet Crash? The planets don't get smushed together but still, worth a shot.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 18, 2023