Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
This was back on the PS1..Some female scientist gets turned into some sort of hovering cyborg by a mad scientist and you play as her flying around shooting giant insects or something. I seem to recall it having kind of a depressing ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Panic Restaurant posted:

This might be Steel Harbinger, maybe?

No..It was first person, with the guns that replaced her arms appearing on either side of the screen. Plus, she sort of hovered around in what looked like a red kayak, and had what looked like a set of old virtual reality goggles on her head...I seem to recall her being covered in the colors red and yellow.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Wamdoodle posted:

I think I know this one. The game I'm thinking of was called Machinehead. Moby Games has it listed as BLAM! Machinehead for the PAL territories, I believe. There's a few screenshots which might be able to jog your memory at the link.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/blam-machinehead

That is IT, thank you! I've been trying to remember that name for YEARS!

Man, that cover is hilarious. I had forgotten her ridiculous cleavage entirely.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Two different NES games. Both side scrollers. In the first one, you played as some sort of power armored type with a rocket pack. Pressing B made you shoot to the left, A made you shoot to the right. There were teleporters that moved you between levels.

The second one ALSO had you as a power armored type, I THINK. It was put together more like Super Mario with jumping and such, though you also had ranged weapons. One boss I remember vividly was a giant Buddha statue that you had to shoot in the head to destroy.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Golbez posted:

This sounds vaguely like Section Z.

That is it! Thank you!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Cidrick posted:

Off the top of my head the only NES game I can think of with a giant buddha statue was Kid Niki, but there was no powered armor that you were wearing.

Do you remember anything else about it?

It's definitely not Kid Niki. I think you were white with red/pink highlights?

I definitely remember the evil giant Buddha-esque (may not have been specifically Buddha, but it definitely had the feeling of "Giant man in robes, seated") statue. It was a blue/green statue? I remember the easiest way to beat him was to jump behind his head, since he couldn't move or shoot you back there? I really don't remember anything else about it v:shobon:v

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Neito posted:

Could it be Thexder?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej2ZNNSV820

No, but that game DOES look pretty awesome and I kinda wish I had played it.

I really wish I could remember more, but this was twenty years ago. I have a vague impression of a level with jumping and stone platforms in..Maybe a forest?..And then going through a door to encounter the giant "Buddha" statue.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
An old Mac game from way back when. You were in command of a human ship that came back to find Earth enslaved and had to go out and get allies to free Earth. I seem to remember it being top-down.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It actually isn't Star Control II, though I can definitely see how my description was basically that :v:

I remember the game being more mission-based, like "That planet is being defended by two enemy battleships. One of our allied races has sent seven corvettes to help us free it. Lead them in!" and then you switch your control between the ships in the fleet and give orders while everything goes in real-time. This was back in the mid 90s, so my memory is somewhat rusty. I seem to remember the human ship being this tiny teal thing with stubby wings.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Forgedbow posted:

How about the Escape Velocity series, which were originally Mac based? Top down space games, open world but it had missions that were kinda like that.

No, but you saying that made something click in my mind. The game I was thinking of was Ares, by the same company that made the Escape Velocity games (which I loved as a kid).

So, thanks! Mission accomplished!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So several years back I posted to this thread (or a previous iteration) for help finding an NES side scroller where the only thing I remembered was that one of the bosses was something like a giant Buddha statue that you could beat by jumping into the space between its head and the wall and shooting it. Nobody was able to figure it out for the life of them.

Turns out it's Xexyz. A mystery I've been wondering about for around a decade, solved!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
There was a game back in the 90s that was a top-down spaceflight game that I had a demo of. It was NOT Escape Velocity or Ares, but it certainly had the same look as EV with your ship in the middle spinning around and fighting other ships. I remember your ship had various systems that could be damaged and if your sensors started taking damage the screen started filling with static. I have no idea if it had a story, I just remember flying around finding other ships to fight.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

FFT posted:

Could it have been Lunatic Fringe, the After Dark screen saver? Don't remember if it had systems vs shields/hp

/e: oh it's totally Lunatic Fringe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZglGbYGRtI

Wow, that's almost definitely it. My memory has the player ship being a more elongated, white rocket ship thing but the sensor damage effect and general look of the graphics is 100% what I remember.

EDIT: It was not Lunatic Fringe, though that definitely put me onto the right path. It was Space Madness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZNc0kCA59s

Polaron fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Pentaro posted:

A game for the Sega Genesis, it was some sort of military flavored game, maybe a flight simulator? Frankly, what I remember is not so much the gameplay but the cartdridge: It had a tiny yellow plastic module on the side which I don't remember seeing in any other game.
What game was it, and what purpose did that yellow plastic thing serve?

Probably F-117 Night Storm, and I'm pretty sure the yellow tab was just because EA made their own carts.