Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

A top down space game from the 90s, where start off in a grey shuttle that is very boxy, and a ship flies out of nowhere and screams something like "die you non shareware paying scum!". There was a weapon called Particle Beam.

Yeah, that's the original Escape Velocity. I'm pretty sure the Particle Beam was a plotline item if you took the Confederation's side, and it fired a blue hitscan beam that drained your fuel supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

So I'm remember a mechanic from a game that might be really obvious - I think it was a Bethesda game, maybe even Skyrim, but like, it was an RPG/third person action game that sometimes required you to 3d view items you picked up for clues. Like you'd spin them around and a symbol on them would start glowing and the game would broadly indicate that you were getting "warm", until you flipped the 3d item the "right" way and got the relevant clue. The controller would vibrate, too, I think .Was it an AC game? Alpha Protocol? I'm going nuts

I want to say this was in either Eternal Darkness or one of the Resident Evils, but I can't say with certainty. It's entirely possible the mechanic has been used several times.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Natural Selection was basically Counterstrike set in the Aliens setting, wasn't it? Marines vs. a variety of monsters.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A Commodore 64k game. I think it was more like a collection of minigames, but the only one I remember much at all of was navigating a cave from a side view. I think it had a set number of elevations (like, there were at most 3 tunnels stacked on top of each other, sort of like La-Mulana or Maze of Galious but more compressed). I'm pretty sure there was also a meter (fuel or air or so on) that depleted steadily and could be replenished by finding pickups. I was a dumb kid at the time so I didn't really know what I was doing and would always waste the pickups by grabbing them when I was already nearly full. I think I remember that your character would sort of lie down to slide underneath ceiling hazards?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ManxomeBromide posted:

He doesn't lie down, but the rest of this sounds an awful lot like H.E.R.O.

I don't think so. I remember it being horizontally-scrolling, like, one large (possibly horizontally-wrapping) labyrinth. I mean, I never made it very far in the game, it's possible there were multiple levels, but what I remember was larger than the H.E.R.O. levels in that video.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

chairface posted:

Pitfall 2 is my guess based on this, but the C64 has a LOT of mediocre scrolling platformers.

Yeah, no, it definitely wasn't Pitfall II, because I remember playing that one quite a bit and did actually make it fairly far (to the long sequence of "dodge a bird in an open corridor" challenges right at the end).

I do want to say that the protagonist had a jetpack or space suit or something like that. I don't think they could fly, but they didn't really walk either? Maybe? Man, part of the reason this is bugging me is because I so dimly recall it. :negative:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure those aren't it either.

The whole "collection of minigames" thing is something I'm pretty sure about. I think they all featured the same character but the rules/controls were different. There was a level select (or maybe my copy had a trainer installed to let you skip through them), and the bit I'm trying to describe was the last game mode, if my memory isn't deceiving me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Rocket Roger? Doesn't fit any of the "minigame" stuff but it does have jetpacks and fuel and three-tiered compressed-looking levels.

I don't think so, but at this point I'm willing to chalk it up to being a fever dream. Maybe I crossed one of these games with Fort Apokalypse or something. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I remember having an astronomical simulator called Gravitation on my dad's Mac which was like that. In particular I remember that you could designate any body as being fixed in position, which meant you could make a system of two equal-massed fixed stars and one free-moving planet placed an equal distance from the stars, and the planet would yo-yo back and forth between them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

A Proper Uppercut posted:

That's it, poo poo. I don't even remember playing that game.

That's a minor miracle, because it's a very strange and memorable game. Do you remember a pig named Hamlet nobly sacrificing itself by jumping onto a campfire, to save a village from starvation?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

This has reminded me of a game I played on Mac os7-9ish that was really similar to this, but instead of textured eyes and stuff, most of the enemies were empty wireframes in neon green colors. Am I going nuts? Was this real? Early 90s, tank proto-FPS.

Spectre had a few different variants. I remember seeing versions called "Spectre 3D" and "Spectre VR". Same basic "grab flags and shoot tanks" gameplay though.

I also remember only playing it in the top-down wireframe mode because that had the best performance on my dad's computer. It made the whole "3D" aspect rather less impactful.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Or Warship Gunner 2, yeah. I recently replayed that one and it still holds up really well. The loop of do mission -> get new parts -> tweak your ship (or build a new one from scratch) -> do new mission is really solid. 100%ing is grindy and unbalancing once you get some of the super parts, but the first pass through the story, and then the first loop on Hard/Very Hard hold up really well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

A Japanese PC (and probably PSX too) adventure game that I believe has a western theme. The graphics were really clunky 3D sort of like The Town With No Name, it's not Silverload.

Rising Zan, by any chance? It's sort of a combo western/samurai game.

ToxicFrog posted:

Mac game, probably System 8 or System 9 era. Top-down space shooter; you could turn and fly in any direction and the game would scroll with you, keeping your ship centered. There were various enemies to fight and powerups to collect and I think once you found and eliminated all enemies it would take you to a new level. Levels were just space with different hazards and enemies scattered around, no walls or anything. Your ship looked kind of like three red bottles stuck together and all the graphics had a sort of "sprites pre-rendered from 3d models" aesthetic.

For a long time I thought it was Maelstrom by Ambrosia Software, but it's not. It's also not Mars Rising, Deimos Rising, or any of the Escape Velocity games.

I'm pretty sure I know the game you're talking about, but I can't remember its name. Did it have an enemy base that was sort of like a black Deep Space Nine? I remember playing the demo and liking it but also finding it way too hard; eventually I realized that was because the demo would take you straight from like level 1 to level 20 so the difficulty was...uneven.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

b_d posted:

Lunatic Fringe? iirc it was an interactive screen saver in one of the After Dark collections

Lunatic Fringe is similar to the game I believe ToxicFrog is thinking of, but differs in a few keys ways. There's no explicit level transitions (the game just gets harder over time), the player ship is blue, not red, and I feel ToxicFrog would have mentioned Lunatic Fringe's damage model if that was the game he was thinking of, because it's pretty memorable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The only thing that comes to mind is, I think it was called Chrysanthemum, which was a falling-block game where the gimmick was that flowers would fall in from any of the four edges and land on a central square, or by hitting another already-landed flower. You had to arrange the flowers into certain configurations according to what kind of flower it was, and the failure state involved insects swarming out to eat all of your flowers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Every once in awhile I remember an old game, and this time I remembered this thread. What I remember about the game was that it was a superhero action game. I'm pretty sure it was an arcade brawler. I'm just about confident that it featured Spiderman who could just kind of swing back and forth across the screen, pretty ridiculous mobility for your average brawler game. I'm also pretty sure that at points it would zoom way out and your sprites and moveset would be replaced by simpler things, like I think Spidey's webslinging got replaced by a web projectile that just killed enemies. Maybe those were platformer sections?

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Wow, that looks substantially less impressive than I remember it being. But yeah, that sure is it. Thank you!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

When I was a child I picked up a box, a commodore 64 game, it was called "to build a better mousetrap" or something like that. Infinitive tense. Referring to the axiom, not just mousetraps in general. It was a evocative name that said, to me, gonna be a long finicky adventure collecting parts for a greater thing. It isn't the game mousetrap. I did check that.

The gameplay is making me think it's atari like. You navigated the world like in the original zelda where you'd enter a square and there might be exits to the north east south or west and it was a persistent map each time. I wish I could find it again to see some longplay but i'm clearly either wrong about the name or only the text of the box was about building a better mousetrap and the title was something different.

This is reminding me of an educational C64 game that was about assembling logic gates. You controlled a square and could pick up and drop things (much like Adventure), some of the things were logic gates and sensors/effectors, and if you dropped them correctly they'd snap onto other pieces to make a simple circuit. I seem to remember that at the end there was a gun piece that you could use to fight some kind of monster. The monster fired shots that would slowly eat away at your square, but I don't think there was an actual death condition because I seem to remember being able to move around while being completely invisible because the monster had deleted every pixel in my sprite.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Rocky's Boots, maybe?

Yep, that's it. Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That reminds me of the Another Fine Mess / A Mess of Trouble games. I think one of them had a Western-themed area, though they were thematic hodge-podges at the best of times. I think they used a standard game engine though, so maybe the game you're thinking of just used the same toolkit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The first time one of those "in popular culture" sections was ever good for anything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This would have been on the Commodore 64. What I remember most about it is that it played from a first-person perspective, albeit not true 3D of course -- instead you'd transition between scenes by interacting with doors (maybe by clicking on them?), and within a scene sometimes you could scroll left/right. I also remember that you had a basic claw-looking thing by default, though you could also find some guns. My impression is that you were in a space suit or environment suit or something like that, but it's also possible you played as a robot or an alien. I never got very far.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Sorry, to be clear: the scenery was static. Think like if you tried to render an adventure game scene from first person. No little avatar of the player wandering around the scene, just a big ol' claw reaching into it, and you transitioned between rooms by interacting with doors.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One of those MacVenture games? I see that Uninvited had a C64 version.

I don't think so? I don't remember there being much text. Then again I was a little kid so it's entirely possible I didn't read any text.

I do remember a human-shaped sprite walking back and forth in realtime in one room, and you could use a gun to kill it. I remember trying to kill it with the claw and not having much luck. I'm not sure it was actually hostile, given that I was able to just stand around in the room and experiment.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Good lord, those are both really impressive considering the hardware.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It sounds like Alkor the Alchemist from act 3 of Diablo II.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It sounds like maybe the play-by-forums Risk LP. There was also a Risk Legacy LP that worked similarly, but it didn't get archived.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There's a narrative LP of the game that's pretty good. Of course it has to take a lot of liberties, considering that the original game is basically a spreadsheet with some random events.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

There was a mac clone of that game called Dome Wars that owned as well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDWL8Z7LQs4

Oh geeze, I played that a bunch as a kid. Completely forgot the title name. I can still remember the completely-unintelligible voice clip for when you use a shield item. I always thought it sounded like someone saying "Contestive".

The Commodore 64k helicopter game is probably Fort Apokalypse

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Forbidden Forest, maybe? It also came out on Commodore 64.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I had a disc that came with my Dreamcast that had a collection of older games on it. I know for certain that it had Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and Phantasy Star 2 on it. I think it had a Virtua Cop game as well (definitely a lightgun game anyway). There were I think 5 other games on the thing, maybe 6, and I can't remember what they were. Does this sound familiar?

I'm pretty sure it was some kind of official anthology, not a collection of pirated games.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's it! Thank you!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh geeze, I remember that game. No clue what it was called though. Probably came on one of those packs of shareware/freeware games.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Koskinator posted:

Trying to recall a fun little game I played years ago

Likely 90s, maybe early 00s.

A fairly simple game with a Star Trek theme. You're the Enterprise and your mission is to fly around a 2-D map (top down view) to different planets and evacuate them by sending down away teams. You then had to return them to starbases, and I think you also had to destroy all enemies on the map. It used WASD controls I think.

You could get Klingon ships as allies, starbases could help fight if they were close enough, etc. I think most enemies were Romulans and maybe Cardassian? And there were neutral Ferengi ships for some reason.

There was an option to add extreme difficulty by adding in a Borg cube that would basically wreck absolutely everyone's poo poo.

Any idea what game this was?

Sounds like Rescue! There's an open-source version.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Nanashi no Game, I think.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is reminding me of a vertically-scrolling arcade shmup I saw once as a kid (so, probably late 80's or early 90's). I think the way it worked was that each time you died, you were given a different ship. I remember one of them being preposterously wide, which made dodging anything basically impossible, especially since I'm pretty sure it was one-hit kills. I played it once, didn't make it very far, but was very excited when I got the big ship because it was big and that was cool (ahh, kid logic :allears:). Probably had, like, Genesis-tier graphics or so, but I literally don't remember anything about it aside from the ship mechanics and that it was a sci-fi vertical shmup.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If I recall correctly, the entire point of that game was that the base gameplay was a trashy veneer over a grindy upgrade system. Presumably it was a parody or commentary on some aspects of gaming at the time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

SweetBro posted:

So I know this isn't technically on topic, but I figure that people posting here would probably be best equipped to help me out with this. I'm looking for games with "variable" equipment slots. Basically any game with an equipment system that can change over the course of a playthrough such due to gaining losing appendages or permanent transformation. Anything from Spore to Elona+ is useful. Bonus points if you didn't feel frustrated dealing with game's UI. Trying to get a list of games together I can use as reference.

Caves of Qud was mentioned earlier, but I do want to draw specific attention to it. You can play as a mutant with the Extra Arms, Extra Legs, and Two-Headed mutations (or go in on antlers, stingers, horns, flaming hands, and others) that all affect what slots you have available for gear. You can acquire more mutations during play that cause you to randomly grow more limbs, get too close to a madpole and have it chew your face (and its associated face slot) off, kill the madpole, regenerate your face, then wear your dismembered face on top of your face. Also there's items like Helping Hands that give you two more hands at the cost of your back slot, you can be a cyborg that turns your legs into tank treads, etc. The SA thread for the game occasionally gets posts from people showing off their hilariously over-dense equipment lists due to all the extra extremities they have.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StoryTime posted:

My favorite is that IF is an expression that has the evaluated value of whichever branch was chosen. Like the blogger, I don't think I've seen that feature in any other imperative language.

This is the ?: operator in most C-likes.

clamped = (clamped < min) ? min : ((clamped > max) ? max : clamped)

The extra parens aren't strictly required, I'm pretty sure, but I don't like to assume I correctly remember the order of evaluation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The Chad Jihad posted:

Relatively primitive 3D game, you played a helicopter (cockpit view) and had a mobile base (it was immobile in the missions) with a long winding path leading to the enemy base. The enemy would send tanks down the path to your base to eventually kill it, you could send your own tanks as well, and to take out the enemy base you had to get a defenseless explosive truck all the way to the end where it would drive into the enemy base and blow it up. So the gameplay was flying around blasting tanks and etc and escorting your own units, you had no control other than telling the base what to build

This sounds kind of similar to the vs. multiplayer mode in FutureCop LAPD, except that you play as a mech/motorcycle instead of a helicopter.