Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Very old game, probably for the Commodore PET (I had a disc for the C64 with a program called "PET Emulator" that ran several games, this is one of them).

Don't remember the graphics or gameplay much, but I do remember that you were stuck somewhere (possibly a spaceship crash) and you had to avoid getting killed by giant rabbits. I think the title was "killer bunnies" or something, but any variant of that just brings up the much more recent card game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

dads_work_files posted:

The game Killer Bunnies seems to have existed for that platform as it's referenced on page 92 of this magazine. If you wanted to find and play it I guess your best bet would be to see if someone's dumped those discs somewhere.

Even without tracking it down completely, there is no doubt that directory listing is exactly what I'm remembering. That's been bugging me for more than twenty years now, so thanks.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Krinkle posted:

When I was a child I picked up a box, a commodore 64 game, it was called "to build a better mousetrap" or something like that. Infinitive tense. Referring to the axiom, not just mousetraps in general. It was a evocative name that said, to me, gonna be a long finicky adventure collecting parts for a greater thing. It isn't the game mousetrap. I did check that.

The gameplay is making me think it's atari like. You navigated the world like in the original zelda where you'd enter a square and there might be exits to the north east south or west and it was a persistent map each time. I wish I could find it again to see some longplay but i'm clearly either wrong about the name or only the text of the box was about building a better mousetrap and the title was something different.

Just a nagging thing, it's obviously going to be a terrible game. Made frustrating because when you think you know the title and there's just nothing, well, where do I go from here? The title was all I was sure about.

Are you sure you aren't thinking og Creative Contraptions?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It could possibly be something from the Super Solvers series.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Is it Jurassic Park: Trespasser?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

At least some of the Reader Rabbit games had trains, and they fit the timeframe.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The part about a monster showing up to kill you if you don't keep moving makes me think of Evil Otto from Berserk.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Pierzak posted:

Another game, PC, Win98 era: a portal opens and fantasy armies with orcs and magic invade modern (Cold War) Earth and you get to fight them with tanks, machine guns and whatnot, and later research the fantasy stuff to make hybrid weapons like enchanted tank shells. Definitely a turn-based strategy.

Pretty sure this one is Spellcross

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Memory's real fuzzy, but could it be uncharted waters?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That's Infocom's Suspended.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There's two games from those old shareware CDs that I've never been able to track down. These would have been Windows 3.11 compatible, since we stopped getting those discs after upgrading to Win98 .

The first one, I'm pretty sure was called Stellar Explorer, but that's so generic that I've found it almost completely unsearchable. It was a tile based sci-fi RPG, where all the characters were colored dots representing health.

The other was a point-and-click adventure game with some sort of edgy 90s title. The only scene I really remember is that you have to get past a grounds keeper, and the (or a) solution was to simply chop off his head with an axe, which I remember as being shockingly gory at the time.

If it helps, I'm 90% sure that at least one of these shared a disk with Zone66, Bandor, and Solar Winds.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've only asked about a few games ITT, and Stellar Explorer was one of them.

Thanks. Having the subtitle made finding it much easier.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I can't find this exact interaction, but I think this happens in Last Half of Darkness, and is at least mentioned in walkthroughs for the same. Does this look like the right game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sB_SO3QNWk

That is it. This was the sort of title that is really hard to differentiate.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Small twofer! I have refound and then reforgotten the name of this one at least once, so it might be easier to find. Old DOS game, a sidescrolling platformer where you were an Indiana Jones-esque adventurer looking to infiltrate a pyramid. You had to manage a limited supply of spears to kill...I think mummies and bats?...while going through level by level of platforming. There was treasure and extra lives to collect as well, and traps like false floors, crushers, arrow traps, and upright spikes. The game had INCREDIBLY simple graphics (spikes were just a few columns of vertical pixels that were red on the end, the background was black, pyramid tiles were primarily one shade of yellow, your adventure was a goofy-looking stick figure man in a hat), and completely bullshit hitboxes. I believe each level was a single screen with no scrolling. Pharoah masks were one of the big-ticket treasure items. I think it was a sequel, or at least pretended to be part of a series if it wasn't. Just something weird I remembered from my childhood after writing up the above.

Not sure if this is right because I sucked at it, but this sounds like Montezuma's Revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x3Ctidjh44

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That could be the "Submachine" games, or "The Impossible Quiz".

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Looking for an old (pre-2001) PC game, that was multiplayer on the same keyboard. Top-down tank game with lots of crazy weapons available, and I remember it having Amigia-ish graphics if that makes any sense.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

I’ll add Fire Power and Return Fire to the list of tank games, although I have no idea if they had split screen or lots of crazy weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G4ngPXGGgw

Note: This game has tanks but the person playing keeps using a chopper for most of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJVkHpMpNWY

Firepower has the roght general look, but it isn't it. Return Fire is much too modern looking.

The one thing I remember clearly is that one of the pickups was an A-bomb that wrecked most of the map (similar to the one in Battletanx).

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Top down and very mobile. A 2D Battletanx is a good summary, now that I think about it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Is it Orion Burger?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Sleeper354 posted:

There are two different games I've been racking my brain trying to think of the names of I had in the late 90s early 00s for PC.

One was a science learning game involving little blob aliens. To head off the question, it's not zoombinis as far as I remember. The aliens crash into the house of a girl in a wheelchair who helps them traverse the house doing different science style puzzles. In particular, I remember that after building their ship you had to build a Rube Goldberg machine to launch it and one of the perils/threats was the little aliens getting stuck in a pie and using rubber bands of different elasticity to bungee them out.

The other was a mech/robot building game where you then had to give the robot programming it would follow for fighting. While there were some prebuilt robots you could fight, the main gameplay was playing against other people's designs. Specifically, I remember that the mechs would have price/weights listed after building but there wasn't an actual limit except for when you tried to enter the robots into tournaments, where they would put money limits. The game itself was really complex where one player designed bot I remember was a small box looking robot which unfurled into a giant spider with attacking arms that would stab at your starting position if you weren't quick enough.

I've tried searching everything I could but both of these games seem to be hiding behind other more popular games.

For the second, the 1989 Origin game Omega sounds close. Man differebce is that it uses tanks instead of robots. Might work as a start point.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Custard Undies posted:

I have gone really bad with requests previously, so I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Arcade game I would have played sometime between 1989-1992, but game might be slightly older than that time frame.

Top down game like Ikari Warriors/Commando.

All I remember is that in the attract mode of the game it had a part where you either attack a battleship or some other type of boat or submarine, but I'm not sure if you were on foot at that point or in a little tank/sub.

I've watched over the attract modes/long plays of Ikari Warriors and Commando, but it didnt show what I had in my memory.

I know when I played it, that part of the game might have been either towards the end of level 1 or in level 2 as I managed to get to it/past it and I don't think I was that amazing at the game.

I am pretty certain it was an on foot shooter like Ikari Warriors, and not where you control a plane like 1942 etc...

If it might be in a vehicle, you could be thinking of Jackal. One of the stage bosses is a missile cruiser.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Here's one that's been nagging me for a while. Would have grabbed this from Download.com in the mid 90s. Shareware hex-based wargame with a generic theme, the most striking thing I remember is that it came with a text file of "Murphy's Laws Of Combat", which would run in a crawl along the bottom of the screen in menus.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Try Pirates 2.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Many years ago, when a 500 mhz computer was considered fast, I used to play a deer hunting game that I cannot recall the name of (it wasn't Deer Hunter). I'd kind of like to track it down so I can see just how dated it looks and plays.

What I remember about it:

The weapons were rifles and shotguns. A large bore revolver was in the game but you had to do something special to access it.

The game did not track ammunition.

If you fired your weapon for no reason, the game would taunt you with phrases like "you're scaring the deer" and "you're wasting time and ammunition".

The game predated WASD. You moved with the arrow keys, and had to hit Spacebar to bring out your gun (at which point you could mouse-aim).

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Trying to think of the oldest Deer Hunting type games (that don't track ammo and are not Deer Hunter) I can think of, and "Redneck Deer Huntin'" (weirdly part of the Redneck Rampage franchise) is just about the oldest I can recall that's not some primordial hunting game for the Atari or something. Did it look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYp-BI6eXKI

That's certainly not it. I don't recall this game having scopes, and it certainly was deer only - the vid you linked appears to have some sort of waterfowl hunting.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Pogonodon posted:

Let's see if we can start narrowing it down.
Do any parts of Ted Nugent Wild Hunting Adventure or Field & Stream: Trophy Buck come close?

I didn't remember the game having scoped rifles, but it is absolutely Trophy Buck. The sound and interface was instantly familiar.

Thanks for that, this was bugging me for literal years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

credburn posted:

We used to live across the street from this grocery store that had a selection of NES games that one could rent for two bucks each, which happened to be my allowance! So every weekend I'd go across the street and rent a game. Games like Rad, Two Rude Dudes, Wall Street Kid, and other just awful goddamn games. There was one I remember accidentally renting several times, fooled each time by the box art or the cool name or something.

All I remember from it, was that it was an NES game, top-down, probably a strategy game. I think it took place in a desert? I seem to think it was a desert, because of all the yellow. I think it was turn-based. I seem to recall seeing things that I could identify were walls. Pretty sure it was on a grid. I think you could maybe identify rivers and bridges? Sort of maybe like a Fire Emblem kind of look. But it was very complex for little 6 or 7 year-old credburn. I don't think I ever even figured out how to play. But I really wish I could figure out what this game was, just so I could play it and find out what it was even about.

Perhaps Romance Of The Three Kingdoms or Nobunaga's Ambition?