Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm thinking of a 3d platformer. Only thing I can remember is you could grab horizontal poles and swing on them, all the way around, doing loops around the pole, and launch yourself to the next platform by pressing a direction and hitting jump. But if you were swinging and decided to jump the other direction, you'd press in the opposite direction and the character would stop their swing at the top so they were basically doing a handstand on the pole, then switch their hand positions so their body turned to face the correct direction.

This feels like it has to be a prince of Persia game but I'm not sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah that seems likely. I recall it being a cool noteworthy detail in the game I played, it was novel at the time

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thats a good lead, thanks. Off to youtube

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I don't think it's Tomb Raider, seeing the gif. I have a feeling it really was Prince of Persia Sands of Time (the more I think about it, the more I'm sure it was Gamecube era). I checked a few youtubes, and the aesthetic and sound is in line with my memory, but I didn't find a video where the player actually did the thing I'm describing. Rather than look for that needle in a haystack, I'm willing to accept it was PoP :)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

FutureCop posted:

Found it in Prince of Persia Sands of Time, check out this video around 1:39:10 for an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzbEWbEzKyA

:stare: holy poo poo man, how did you have the patience to find that??

Having said that...:negative: the game I'm thinking of has the character move one hand closer to the other, then crossing the second hand over the first and twisting their body. I remember a distinct pat-pat sound of the hands hitting the bar one after the other. The prince in this video does a hop and twist to change position.

Thank you for finding this...I can cross PoP SoT off the list. But seriously, this is a needle in a haystack, please don't waste any more of your time on this. I appreciate the effort :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Paying2Lurk posted:

Total shot in the dark, but maybe the Catwoman game? This video should be timestamped to where she's swinging on a pole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VucjsV5k8Cs&t=1081s

Other possibilities: Pitfall 3D or Pitfall The Lost Expedition. Either of the Kid Chameleon games.

Unfortunately I've never played any of the games you mentioned, and checking youtube confirms they aren't what I'm looking for. I have to admit, the catwoman animations are kinda cool--I love how she swings up and perches on the pole.

Thanks for trying :shobon: