Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Trying to recall a game from my childhood; it was from the old Atari age, but I'm thinking it was on the Coleco Vision? I don't really remember any of this game except that...I think you were a key, or you had to get a key. And if you waited too long, a monster would come and get you and it had scary music. I know this is super vague, but it's one of those things that I can't recall any of the details but if I see it or hear it, it'll fill in all the gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Adventure was my first thought, but no! It was Venture. Oh maaaan this video is pummeling me with nostalgia. One of the ROOMS is shaped like a key, agh, that I remember. Oh, the sounds! The music!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
So there was this game which I am almost positive was a console JRPG from the PS2 era or mayyyybe early PS3? All I remember about it was that there was something that was very similar to Final Fantasy X's sphere grid, but this one was in 3D and had a lot of twisty things, and you would spend points (XP points?) to drive the ball along the path and....I think there were only like three tiers of levels, so you would cap out really early until the next tier could be unlocked... argh I can see it in my head.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Sounds a lot like the crystarium from FF13?

Jesus Christ, that's it. I read your reply, and I thought, no that can't be right, but then I couldn't remember how XIII did the leveling so I Google Image Searched it, and it's exactly what I was thinking of. Well, that resolves that. Thanks!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Some time ago... I honestly don't know, maybe ten years ago? I dicked around with a really simple first-person-grid-based-dungeon-crawler construction kit. You basically just drew lines on the grid, and from there you could edit what the texture was, you could edit what monsters appeared, etc. in an interface kind of similar to RPG Maker's. I only briefly played with it, but I always meant to go back to it. Now I can't find any hint of it. It's like such a thing never existed except for really old titles like Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures and Bard' Tale Construction Kit. This was an indie thing, I believe -- I think it was freeware, even. But I don't know. I used to pirate a lot of games ten years ago, so it's also just possible I had downloaded it in some torrent.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
An old NES game I played the hell out of.

You were either a frog, a person, or an ape of some kind. You rode either a skateboard or rollerscates, and maybe you sometimes didn't? Maybe sometimes you rode an inner-tube? I remember the game took place, at least in part, in like a jungle. It was a hard game because you were usually (or always?) on a skateboard and you know how skateboards are in NES games.

I can't remember any more than this. It's weird, because in my head, I can see it, like a memory, but these important key elements are missing.

EDIT: Nevermind, I Googled "NES jungle skateboard" and found it. It's called T & C Thrilla's Surfari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBJGfejVljI

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Trying to recall the name of this game, which for some reason I thought was "Death Head" or some variant thereof, but I guess I'm wrong?

This game featured a kind of checkerboard, and it involved sending dudes from one side of the screen to the other. My memories are foggy, but I think of it almost like a competitive Plants vs. Zombies. You'd send them walking toward the right, and different units had different speeds or attacks. One of them was definitely a skull, and I think ITS name was Deth Hed or, you know. Something like that. This came out in the 90s, and I feel like it came out around the same time as Zoop.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Fuckin GEARHEADS!

Man if I can get this sucker running my girlfriend's evening is going to be DOPE

credburn fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 2, 2021

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The skull toy is called Deadhead so you were on the right track lol. I never owned it but we had a demo I used to play a ton on our first computer (Packard Bell 486 baby)

Hey, this is exactly my experience. Gearheads demo on a Packard Bell 486!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
We used to live across the street from this grocery store that had a selection of NES games that one could rent for two bucks each, which happened to be my allowance! So every weekend I'd go across the street and rent a game. Games like Rad, Two Rude Dudes, Wall Street Kid, and other just awful goddamn games. There was one I remember accidentally renting several times, fooled each time by the box art or the cool name or something.

All I remember from it, was that it was an NES game, top-down, probably a strategy game. I think it took place in a desert? I seem to think it was a desert, because of all the yellow. I think it was turn-based. I seem to recall seeing things that I could identify were walls. Pretty sure it was on a grid. I think you could maybe identify rivers and bridges? Sort of maybe like a Fire Emblem kind of look. But it was very complex for little 6 or 7 year-old credburn. I don't think I ever even figured out how to play. But I really wish I could figure out what this game was, just so I could play it and find out what it was even about.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Thanks for the help, gang!

I think the game must have been Desert Commander. In my blurry hazy memory, I don't recall there being modern combat units like tanks and such, but the color palette is definitely what was in my mind, and the rest of it looks like what I was talking about. And it looks like a game that would have excited 7 year-old-me until I started playing it and realized how complicated it gets.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
There was a game my father got me way back in the DOS days. In it, you were a guy riding a motorcycle, it was 3rd person, and everything had a very simple geometric look to it. I remember it kinda reminded me of Spectre, but a little more detailed than that. But it was a big empty world with big geometric ramps and things you could ride your motorcycle over. I don't remember what the point of the game was... but I do remember you could build your own level. Again, mostly just simple shapes, no textures I don't think, just colors. And you were a dude on a bike. Man, I don't remember anything about this game but those details, but it's driving me nuts.

Spectre but on a bike
Could ride off ramps and stuff, it had verticality in a way Spectre didn't
Level customization

Any ideas?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Ah that's it! Thanks, gang!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Private Speech posted:

e4: It might also be Devil Whiskey from the same dev, he's been remaking the same game for a long time.

Devil Whiskey! Haha I remember that game! That was one of the first games I bought with my own money once I had a real job and a credit card. I remember it being hard as balls.