Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I swear this game exists (and has been at least partially LP'd on this forum years and years ago) but my Google fu sucks apparently. Or possibly Google sucks now.

It was a Russian squad-based tactics game, either turn-based or RTWP. Typical russian hard-as-balls one-bullet-cripples-you stuff. Probably not officially translated but there was a fan translation I think. Based on some Russian survivalist novels I believe, the setting is your usual post-Soviet post-apocalypse minus the apocalypse - no nuclear war or alien catastrophe à la Metro ; just your ordinary complete societal collapse, AK bullets used as currency, bandits and marauders everywhere, the Red Army still holding a couple cities but most of the country is a wild west free for all.

You start controlling just the one person, who's an ex-army guy turned survivalist, he's claimed an appartment building for himself (and maybe his wife as well ? I'm not too sure) and goes around scavenging, gets into scrapes with bandits and so on. I remember that at some point you have to defend your building from a big horde of barely armed locals because you're hoarding all the food and they're starving. Then you get to know and train a young rookie who may or may not be an army deserter, and at some point you're contacted by the military to do Something, explore an abandonned mine or something like that. The details escape me at this point and I think that's where the LP died out.

ETA : oh, it was probably released somewhere in the 2000s - 3D graphics, I think full 3D but might have been isometric, pretty sure the models were 3D rather than sprites ; so clearly later than Jagged Alliance 2 ; around the Silent Storm era I would say.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

You're describing the story of Metro but the most well-known game based on that book is an FPS not a tactics game.

Yeah I know, that's the problem - I know it's not Metro (it's an older game than that, also very much not an FPS) but every search I run points me towards it for obvious reasons.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Zathril posted:

From looking through the lets play archive is it Marauder: Man of Prey?

That's it ! Man, I could hug you, I swear I searched the archive up and down for that dumb game. May Chtulhu eat you first, my man !