Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

teamdest posted:

alright I've got one.

Had a game that came in one of those shareware 100+ games packs from staples, years and years ago. it might have been a 300 Great Games disc? anyway the game was called solarium, solaris, solar something, it had a map of a bunch of planets or stars, probably stars, and a ship that jumped between them. it was a top down view, you had a fuel gauge. that's really all i can remember, i was really young. this was around the early-mid nineties? I doubt anyone remembers it but it haunts me to this day that i could never really do well in it, I was too young to understand it. I want to give it a try now and see if I can win or if it just sucked.

Probably Solar Winds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boof
Jun 3, 2001
This is probably a longshot, but I'll ask anyway.. Back around the late 80s/early 90s I had a program for the PC which let you create your own text adventure games. It came with a sample text adventure game built with the engine, which had something to do with you having landed on a planet (you started near a rocket). I remember never being able to finish that sample text adventure and it used to drive me nuts as a kid. If anyone can remember the name of the program itself that let you create those text adventures that would be awesome. My googling so far has turned up something called Adventure Construction Set (ACS) and whilst that acronym sounds familiar, it looks nothing like what I am thinking of.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

silsor posted:

AGT?

I think that's it! Thanks so much!

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Man this one is a shot in the dark... I remember playing this adventure game at a computer show, and the only thing I can remember is making a raft out of reeds and logs and facing this hillbilly who goes on some monologue while drinking moonshine, and then ends it by saying, "you're already dead! " and taking out a gun. Anyone?

You're not thinking of Return to Zork possibly? You have to get a hillbilly drunk by engaging in a drinking game which ends with him saying "and they're all dead" (link shows a clip).

boof
Jun 3, 2001

the_cotter posted:

First is a (Shareware?) PC 2D Platform game which seemed like a fairly generic Sonic/Mario/Titus etc. clone. I think you played an animal. First level was set either on a big tree with smaller trees on it or a forest with lots of trees on it. I remember moving up and down the level. Second level was a haunted castle level. I remember the game had a Level Select screen (you couldn't select the later levels in the version I had though). It also had some sort of collectible. That's about it. Pre-emptive: It's not Jazz Jackrabbit. Update: I remember the first level had a "bee" enemy, and I even have a slight suspicion you might have been able to turn into a bee and gain a flight ability.

Doesn't completely fit your description, but maybe Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure?

boof
Jun 3, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nope, it was definitely an arcade game. The hand in the UI would be something I would remember for sure.

Maybe E-Swat? The 2nd player wears a red shirt I think.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

E-Tank posted:

I remember an old old game, a lovely doom clone that was basically some sort of 'gross out' game. I can't remember the title, but I remember that one of the weapons was deoderant, either sprayed or flung at enemies. It was the theme of the game, it was really 'gross' and 'dirty' and 'filthy'.

You might be thinking of Blood, it had an aerosol can as a weapon/flamethrower. Also it is awesome.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

The Colonel posted:

First is a game I remember really, really vividly. I think there was a plot where you were a scientist and you lost your car keys, so you went back in time to get them, but then poo poo happened. The main menu was a fully playable game of Space Invaders, and I think you shot an option at the top of the screen to begin playing or quit the game. The main game was comprised of several minigames with pre-rendered graphics. One of them had you playing as a dinosaur trying to cook eggs, another had you controlling a group of green cells in primordial soup fighting red cells. Another game had you as a beaver building a dam in a waterfall, and another had you swimming through an underwater cave. There were more, but I don't remember them quite as much.

The Time Warp of Dr Brain.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of them played from first person, and you had a claw-arm thing so I think maybe you were a robot or in a spacesuit or something. You'd go from room to room and some of the rooms had guys in them that would walk around in front of you (enemies?). You could replace the claw with a gun...at least, I think it was a gun. This was from the days before I was willing to read text in videogames, so everything was pretty murky.

A bit of a long-shot guess here, but maybe The Mars Saga?

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Widestancer posted:

I'm looking for a game i remember my dad making me play as a kid all the time when mom wasn't home

There were cactuses and you had to dodge falling arrows and I think rescue a girl across the screen

This was probably on our old atari system

Surely not Custer's Revenge?

boof
Jun 3, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, in this game the transitions were optional. Like, there'd be a giant explosion that'd create a hole in the ground, and you could either fly into the hole (thus starting a horizontal section) or continue on the surface.

Nope, it was a ship-based shmup. I guess not a space ship (or at least the first level was set on a planet), but definitely not dudes with wings.

Side Arms, is my guess.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_Dyne_Side_Arms

boof fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 17, 2014

boof
Jun 3, 2001
And if it's not that, I'll suggest Kid Chaos.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Maugrim posted:

Hi thread. Got a couple from my childhood I'm wondering about - one probably easy, the other not so easy.

First one I played in 1992 on school computers in Australia. I think they were Apple computers, but wouldn't swear to it. The game had simple graphics as well as text. You started in a prison cell atop a mountain. I remember 'call guard' being an important command for escaping. Once you got out, you were thrown into a ski simulator with conifers coming at you which I never got past in my limited time playing.

Second one, 1993-4, DOS game I think, very primitive poly graphics. I didn't have a clue what was going on as the world was very abstract and there wasn't much/any text. I remember a giant dog type creature and I think the game culminated in you blasting off in a rocket (I never got that far). Wow that's really vague sorry!

No idea on the first, but I'll guess Another World for the second.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'm trying to remember two arcade games from the end of the 80's/start of the 90's.

One you were playing a boat (only a boat, so it's not Spy Hunter), and you were transporting cargo. A gimmick was if you died, your rival would swoop in and grab the cargo and you had to blow him up to get it back (and you could miss it and hence end the stage without it). The first cargo you were transporting was a deadly virus, and the second was the Crown Jewels IIRC.

Possibly Hydra?

boof
Jun 3, 2001
House of the Dead 2.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

FrumpleOrz posted:

There is an old PC game that I'm trying to remember the name of but I can't remember too much about it. It was an edutainment title of some sort. It had very basic CGA graphics and you controlled a square that moved around a very basic map screen. The top half of the screen was the graphics and the bottom of the screen was text that described what is happening. The topic of the game was dinosaurs and I believe the title was something along the lines of "Day of the Dinosaurs" but nothing's coming up when I search for that title.

Any ideas to what this might be? I would've played it in the very early 90s but it felt old when I was playing it so I suspect it was from the 80s.

Maybe Return of the Dinosaur?

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Trying to remember an arcade game (or games) I'd always watch the demo for as a kid:

- Early 1990's (1990-1994) arcade cabinet
- Demo/intro involved a female reporter speaking to a camera about an alien invasion, and then an alien hand covering her mouth and pulling her off screen
- Gameplay wasn't isometric, but it wasn't 100% top-down either--closer to something like Super Smash TV
- Pretty typical, colorful pixel-art graphics for its era; not attempting photo-realism
- One of the first bosses (I think) was a green alien piloting a vehicle with an alien face on it, almost like it was sentient
- Maybe I'm conflating this game with another memory, but I feel like there was a scene where astronauts were being eaten by large yellow space aliens (the reason I say I might be mixing the two is because in this memory, the gameplay is sidescrolling).

Total Carnage. (the scene you're referencing starts around 2m30s into this video)

boof
Jun 3, 2001

dstyle posted:

Does anyone remember an arcade game from the 90s (although it was probably ported to other platforms, I'm not sure) where you played as a character (I want to say a Duke Nukem type) navigating a maze, collecting items and fighting giant insects or something? The game looked sort of like a FPS, where the bottom left 1/4th of the screen was a 3d visual of what your character saw (enemy, whatever). In the top right of the screen was a map or some sort of top-down view for navigation, and there was an inventory and such. I don't remember anything else about the game except the interface was blue

I'll take a total stab in the dark and suggest maybe Xybots?

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Iacen posted:

Okay, gonna try my luck here.
Some 20 years ago, I got my first Windows PC with a demo CD with it, filled with shareware and similar.
One of the games was this point n click adventure like game. Stylewise it looked almost like it was created in paint, flat colours, no real shading as far as I remember.

It started you in a sinister looking city at night, then you ventured into the sewers and finally emerged in some fantasy world.

And that's it! I didn't really understand English at that point, so I only progressed by trial and error and that CD has left the world a long time ago. Does it ring a bell somewhere, even with my less than comprehensive description?

Sounds like Dare To Dream to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyo22H2Liuk

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The game I'm trying to remember was an early-mid 90's medieval FPS. You had swordsd, a shield, etc and you fought goblins and other standard d&d monsters. I remember the only way to get the Halberd was for an enemy to throw it at you and have it stick, then you had to pull it out and you could use it as a weapon. It also might have been a sequel to another game but I can't remember. It 100% is not Heretic or Hexen, it came a little while after both of those games.

Maybe Witchhaven or its sequel?

boof
Jun 3, 2001
Hey thread. I'm trying to remember two Commodore 64 games I used to play.

The first one was two players, one character on either side of the screen, fighting game-style. Both characters were medieval knights with bungee cords strapped to their waist. You would move towards the center of the screen to attack the other player, but the bungee cord would be always pulling you back. Instead of swords, you held a tennis racket and you would lob a ball back and forth at eachother to inflict damage.

The second game showed a 3D perspective view of a bathtub. Spiders would crawl out of the plug hole and it was your job to blast them back down the plug. It's definitely not "Exterminator", I've already checked that when trying to search for it.

I think I played both of them from old C64 magazine cover tapes like Zzap, but I'm not having any luck looking through covertape lists.

Any ideas? I swear I'm not imagining these.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

beef express posted:

The first one is Bounces. Not sure about the second.

That's it! Thank you so much!

boof
Jun 3, 2001

That's definitely it - thank you also! This thread is the best.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Got a real headscratcher from a friend.

- very old game, DOS or Amiga
- sidescrolling platformer
- psychedelic visuals and audio design, bordering on acid trip
- player character with 'abnormal proportions' who may or may not be a clown, specifically he remembers them having a clownlike face and a detachable head
- he's pretty sure footage of it does exist on YouTube somewhere, he just can't remember the name

The detachable head thing doesn't quite line up, but maybe Weird Dreams?

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Metallia posted:

Back in the late 90’s, my dad had a demo disc that I want to say with about 70% certainty was from PC Gamer that had a game on it I’ve been trying to remember or find anything about for years. All I can remember from it though is that you played a youngish girl exploring a rainy, gothic town - I can barely remember what genre it is was. I think it was an adventure game or an RPG? I vaguely recall the main character obtaining or having a little green ball she could use to fight or solve puzzles by throwing it.

The only other thing I can recall about this that might be useful would be that I remember playing Tomb Raider 2 around the same time, so it would’ve had to been around 1997…I realize this isn’t much, but it’s been driving me nuts forever now.

Maybe Ecstatica?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SsR5fPjGu4

boof
Jun 3, 2001
Okay thread, hopefully someone can help me here because this has been driving me nuts all day.

I woke up this morning with a piece of game music in my head. It's a short loop that I recall playing over and over.

If I were to guess the era and type of game, it would have been mid-90s (Commodore 64 probably?) and probably a platformer.

I found a random website that would let me recreate the song as it sounds in my head. Hopefully this link works and there should be a play button on the page that loads.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Holy poo poo, that's it, thank you!!

Now I need to know why the hell James Pond 2, a game I haven't touched in ~25 years, entered my psyche.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Zachack posted:

Going nuts on this one: Atari 400 (or maybe Amiga but I think Atari) motorcycle stunt game. The viewpoint is fixed-perspective 3rd person at a roughly tilted 45 degree angle, pulled pretty far back. Game is basically driving over ramps, loops, etc on a big map, no other racers. Controls are little more than single-button stop go, turning is challenging. May have been a gas meter that runs down. Not even sure what the "point" was - driving around and going over jumps for the sake of it? Map was basically green grass, white ramps.

Not Motorbike Madness.

Sounds very much like Action Biker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af4S_Cu1_fU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boof
Jun 3, 2001

pesty13480 posted:

Another weird one.

A point and click adventure game. It was set on a train, with pixel art, had to have been at least 10+ years ago. They weren't saying anything but it's clear that the protagonist was some kind of alcoholic. There was a weird demon creature in the cart next to where your protagonist woke up. There was like a restaurant or bar at one of end of the train and yadda yadda the guy was struggling with his drinking or something. I don't even remember it being any good but I never finished it and it has been at the edge of my memory for a while.

Bit of a stab in the dark - The Charnel House Trilogy?