Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

khy posted:

A game full of robots where all the robots are immortal because they're backed up to a central server, and a single human shows up. Suddenly robots start dying with their backups being deleted and the human is blamed. I recall that one of the gameplay mechanics was that you could take over another robot's body.

Sounds like Scrapland to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Here's one I've been trying to remember from my Commodore 64 days.

It was a side-scrolling platformer where you play as a robed figure. I remember it being less of a fighting game and more of a puzzle game because each type of monster in the game could only be killed by one specific magic type, and the control scheme for the magic was unique for the time. You had to cycle through the spell names using the function keys, hold down your joystick button to make the spell projectile appear -- and then you could control the flight of the spell on your screen with the joystick at the expense of being able to move your character.

So, you'd explore, climb stuff, jump in pits, and hope to eventually find the treasure chest that contained whatever new spell you needed to be able to erase what-ever newly discovered creature was currently halting your forward progress.

I remember always being impressed by the size of the game world (There were about 12-15 linked screens vertically, and about 30-35 linked screens horizontally). I also recall that the character sprites, while not particularly detailed, were all much larger than other games I recall coming out during that era. To the point where if you encountered a dragon, that dragon would occupy about 1/4 of the real estate on the screen.

The only other things I vaguely recall were that I think it had a one word name, and I think it was released via a foreign publisher. Not one of the normal brands that was churning out stuff in the US.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

FFT posted:

It'd be pretty funny if you're thinking of Wizard (1984)

No, but I do recall playing a fair bit of Wizard as well. Those level load in sounds are permanently embedded in my memory.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Dip Viscous posted:

I was thinking Magic Madness, but it turns out that only moves horizontally, but I'll post it just in case.

Similar. But the sprites are too small, the level terrain is too detailed, and the opponents appear to be humanoid rather than fantasy/mythology based creatures.

I remember the winged serpents being particularly miserable to dodge due to their high mobility and smaller size.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

I finally remembered.

1985, Rabbit Software (London) -- the game was Doriath.

Only registered members can see post attachments!